Does Steven play first final

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Does Steven play first final

We are obviously playing Geelong and with Jacks performance last time, does he come into the side for more pace on the forward line and to exploit lack of pace in the Geelongs backs. Or do we just put that performance down to a bit of fluke and he will get next season.

I personally like the idea of Jack playing as i reckon Geelong backs really lack pace.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Re: Does Steven play first final

plugger66 wrote:We are obviously playing Geelong and with Jacks performance last time, does he come into the side for more pace on the forward line and to exploit lack of pace in the Geelongs backs. Or do we just put that performance down to a bit of fluke and he will get next season.

I personally like the idea of Jack playing as i reckon Geelong backs really lack pace.
We need as much pace in the roving mid/forward region as we can get for that game. I would put Steven in but the trouble is - who do we drop for him... keeping in mind, we could POSSIBLY have Zac and Baker available by the time we play, that means up to three changes will need to be made - no wait - four, forgot about Gardiner as well....

Steven is in our best 22 IMO.... IMO

St Loxton
Club Player

Yep, definetly play the boy, looked really composed that night, not over-awed by the big game. Especially in front of goal.

Hunter Clark 2024 StKilda Saints Premiership captain.
yipper
SS Life Member

Probabaly depend on the weather I reckon. It will be outside at the G' so the wet may see Jack come in. Dry night - maybe they will stick with Stanley.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Middo
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:We are obviously playing Geelong and with Jacks performance last time, does he come into the side for more pace on the forward line and to exploit lack of pace in the Geelongs backs. Or do we just put that performance down to a bit of fluke and he will get next season.

I agree , need the speed.

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Well he couldn't do much worse than Milney in finals lol!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
ThePunter
Club Player

From outside the 22 who played last night, it seems to me that the four who could come in are Gardiner, Baker, Steven and Armitage.

Gardiner and Baker are obvious, but Steven has the big game performer gene, and Armo adds to our ball winning ability which is much more important come finals time.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

pace? are you guys having me on. hes as slow as a month of sundays.

his strengths are : tough tackling in close, competitiveness, knack for goal and cleverness/smarts.

pace aint one of em.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ThePunter wrote:From outside the 22 who played last night, it seems to me that the four who could come in are Gardiner, Baker, Steven and Armitage.

Gardiner and Baker are obvious, but Steven has the big game performer gene, and Armo adds to our ball winning ability which is much more important come finals time.
which 4 are vulnerable to going out? zac also will come in.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 16 Aug 2010 12:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

ThePunter wrote:From outside the 22 who played last night, it seems to me that the four who could come in are Gardiner, Baker, Steven and Armitage.

Armo???

What has he proven in the H&A season to make him worthy of a spot at the moment??

Gardy and Bakes are monty's to come in, Steven for maybe Mini.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

what about ray
he has dropped off it seems in the last few weeks
which is surprising

steven must come in i reckon

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

In for Mini?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:what about ray
which is surprising

steven must come in i reckon
Ray plays the midfield sweeper..

Steven is more at present more a small forward.

Therefore if he comes in at all it would seem to me that it would need to be for Mini.....as both Schneider and Milne are in good form.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
matrix
Saintsational Legend

not sure bigcarl...its a tough decision

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:what about ray
I wouldn't drop Ray. Too good a player. However you are right that he has gone a bit quiet. Hopefully getting a few bad ones out of the way before the finals.

howlinwolf
Club Player

Zac in for Dempster. I'm afraid Sean has been just treading water.

Farren Ray has had a great year. Just a little off this week. He's a definite
for finals.

I would love to see Bakes play but unfortunately 9 weeks was a deliberate
arrow to end his season. The recent incident to his foot seals that.
With no match prcatice for over 2 months I can't see how he could step up
to the finals cauldron.

Also can't see Armo getting a go either for the same reasons as Bakes.

Jack Steven would definitely get a go at some stage.

Mini's effort this week was better but he needs to step it up again.

And after watching the game last night I said to my wife I can't see us winning a GF with the form Kosi is in. How we could pull it off with the output
Kosi is delivering from a key forward is beyond me.

My fear is Scarlett and co. running off him continually. But as Finey said last night.. we have no one that can take his place and offer what Kosi does.
Stanley won't stand up in the ruck in a final. He's too light. Patto has played
some o.k games but whether he is better than Kosi is debatable.

Unfortunately our young up and coming forwards aren't quite there yet.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

his strengths are : tough tackling in close, competitiveness, knack for goal and cleverness/smarts.

pace aint one of em.
You're very wrong Con.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I actually think Josh Hunt is one of the best small defenders in the comp, and we have to anticipate that it's going to be very hard for Milne to break that heavy tag.

Having Steven there, seemed to stretch the defenders, because IMO, Hunt is really the only who can play small.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:

pace aint one of em.
He has plenty of pace especially over 10 metres. Funny running style doesnt mean you dont have pace.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I think Jack like a lot of younger players, hasn't yet got the four-quarter intensity that RL requires..though as someone else has said on this post, he couldn't do much worse than Milne in a final.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I actually think Josh Hunt is one of the best small defenders in the comp, and we have to anticipate that it's going to be very hard for Milne to break that heavy tag.

Having Steven there, seemed to stretch the defenders, because IMO, Hunt is really the only who can play small.
In our last two games against them our small have had ample shots on goal..

If they had kicked straighter in the GF our small would have won the game for us.

Mini is sadly out of form at present and has gone from the most accurate kick on goal in the team, to about the worst.

That dead easy shot he missed in the GF sadly seems to have been a form turning point for him, where he just seems to me to lack confidence in his offensive actions.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 16 Aug 2010 4:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Sobraz
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:In for Mini?
yep... took mini getting dropped a few weeks ago for him to realise he needs to left his intensity, and he did that against PA last week, but yesterday I felt he was sitting on his hands abit again and look flat and lazy...

Come finals, Steven offers an X-factor mini just does not have.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

And yet our form lift has coincided with his return...

'tis a bit tricky to see the structure for the trees sometimes...

Lord knows I struggle.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
matrix
Saintsational Legend

agreed
obviously he is doing what is required and the coaching panel are backing him in to do it.
any word on when zac is back??

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

I agree. Definitely not a fluke with that performance as he followed up fairly well after that. Podsiadly is a major concern for Geelong. Played well on the weekend, but he really had no opposition. I have never seen Lake and his mates in defense play a game as bad as that for as long as I can remember.

Will be interesting to see what Ross pulls out of his bag of tricks over the coming weeks. Think we may be in for a few surprises.

Fortius Quo Fidelius