Is Armo going to Sign

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

wasoncestkil58
Club Player

Is it just me or some seeing Armitage through rose coloured glasses. He hasn't exactly set the world on fire. I would have hoped he would have come along a lot more being a first round draft pick. (Was it pick 9)
If he wants to go it is not a big loss the way I see it. I know he is still young bt we have let much bigger names leave the Saints. (Now that is an understatement)

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

wasoncestkil58 wrote:Is it just me or some seeing Armitage through rose coloured glasses. He hasn't exactly set the world on fire. I would have hoped he would have come along a lot more being a first round draft pick. (Was it pick 9)
If he wants to go it is not a big loss the way I see it. I know he is still young bt we have let much bigger names leave the Saints. (Now that is an understatement)
Not every player in your 22 is going to set the world on fire, regardless of where they're taken in the Draft.

We've put 4 years into Armo and although it's disappointing he hasn't cemented a spot at this point in time, he has shown enough to suggest he could become a significant regular member of the team.

And yes, far bigger names have left the Saints. However when that happens we're usually fairly well compensated. If Armo goes we'll get nothing, or next to it.

Better, IMO, to keep someone who is well into the development stage, and who has shown a bit, than to lose him and pick up another kid late in a very, very compromised Draft.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

wasoncestkil58 wrote:Is it just me or some seeing Armitage through rose coloured glasses. He hasn't exactly set the world on fire. I would have hoped he would have come along a lot more being a first round draft pick. (Was it pick 9)
He's capable of so much more than he's shown - or been allowed to show - this year. His 3-Brownlow vote game last year says as much. He had a couple of good games early but seems to have been a victim of bad form and bad luck. But mediocre? No way jose.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
saintlee
Club Player

InkerSaint wrote:
He's capable of so much more than he's shown - or been allowed to show - this year. His 3-Brownlow vote game last year says as much. He had a couple of good games early but seems to have been a victim of bad form and bad luck. But mediocre? No way jose.
Armo is terribly inconsistent though. I have not been convinced by him at all. I really hope he comes on, but so far, he's been disappointing.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
If he isnt mediocre then he must be awfully close. It isnt an easy side to break into but 25 or so games in 4 years is a poor return. I would go so far to say if he was pick 60 he might very well be on trouble at the end of this year. If he stays he really should be only given a one year contract but that obviously will not happen because of Gold Coast.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

He is staying, the domino's told me :)

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I would go so far to say if he was pick 60 he might very well be on trouble at the end of this year. If he stays he really should be only given a one year contract but that obviously will not happen because of Gold Coast.
And I would go as far to say that if he wasn't born within the state borders of QLD (albeit 1,000 kms from the GC), people such as yourself wouldn't even be linking him to the Gold Coast.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I think he just happens to be left out for team balance. With Lenny and Dal santo and even Geary etc. he is more an in and under player. Ross likes more multi purpose players, thats why Ball was in and out last season.
He is back up until Lenny goes IMO. He is having to wait for his spot, but has a future, possibly even eventually letting Lenny find a less physical position as he gets older.

S.A Saint
Club Player

just remember folks ball has gone and lenny hasnt got long left...we desperately need him to sign on..not sure that going to the gold coast will improve his playing time as they have some very talented kids that could potentially overtake him within a year or so of being up there...hope he stays...

"Heroes are never forgotten, but legends never die"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I would go so far to say if he was pick 60 he might very well be on trouble at the end of this year. If he stays he really should be only given a one year contract but that obviously will not happen because of Gold Coast.
And I would go as far to say that if he wasn't born within the state borders of QLD (albeit 1,000 kms from the GC), people such as yourself wouldn't even be linking him to the Gold Coast.
Im not sure I ever have.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:I think he just happens to be left out for team balance. With Lenny and Dal santo and even Geary etc. he is more an in and under player. Ross likes more multi purpose players, thats why Ball was in and out last season.
He is back up until Lenny goes IMO. He is having to wait for his spot, but has a future, possibly even eventually letting Lenny find a less physical position as he gets older.
If he has any football ambitions he aint going to stick around as backup and if we havent found a spot for him now that is surely what he is thinking as well.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Im not sure I ever have.
You may not have said he’s going (although I haven't got time to review all your posts to check :wink: ).

But surely your comment "that obviously will not happen because of Gold Coast" is you linking Armo to the GC. :?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:
Im not sure I ever have.
You may not have said he’s going (although I haven't got time to review all your posts to check :wink: ).

But surely your comment "that obviously will not happen because of Gold Coast" is you linking Armo to the GC. :?
No I was actually saying that with GC around no club or Manager is probably going to get away with doing a one year contract.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

saintlee wrote:Armo is terribly inconsistent though. I have not been convinced by him at all. I really hope he comes on, but so far, he's been disappointing.
Can you elaborate?

He had a couple of ordinary games just after we lost Riewoldt to injury, got dropped, and until his most recent injury was getting named in the VFL best practically every week he played.

If you want to talk about inconsistency let's talk about the footy department's selection criteria!

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
saintlee
Club Player

InkerSaint wrote:
saintlee wrote:Armo is terribly inconsistent though. I have not been convinced by him at all. I really hope he comes on, but so far, he's been disappointing.
Can you elaborate?

He had a couple of ordinary games just after we lost Riewoldt to injury, got dropped, and until his most recent injury was getting named in the VFL best practically every week he played.

If you want to talk about inconsistency let's talk about the footy department's selection criteria!
I think you just answered your own question. He plays one or two good games then gets dropped. He is a consistently good VFL player, but so far is not a consistently good AFL player.

The footy department are very consistent in their selections, rarely do they spring any surprises, Lyon and co are very conservative when picking the team.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:
Can you elaborate?

What are you on about. Armo is inconsistent.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
eppo67
Club Player

I agree with saintlee. Mini has been allowed to play 10+ games of rubbish this year.

If Armo had played one of these (Mini 2010 standard) games he would have been out of the team so fast his bum would have been on fire.

Armo needs multiple games to develope and I think he should be played in the last 2 games b/c I really feel he will be very handy in the finals. IMO

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

eppo67 wrote:I agree with saintlee. Mini has been allowed to play 10+ games of rubbish this year.

If Armo had played one of these (Mini 2010 standard) games he would have been out of the team so fast his bum would have been on fire.

Armo needs multiple games to develope and I think he should be played in the last 2 games b/c I really feel he will be very handy in the finals. IMO
So why is that? Maybe the coach says Mini does his role better than Armo after all I am pretty sure he is trying to pick a winning team.

eppo67
Club Player

Don't get me wrong l love Ross & he is the boss & he knows a zillion times more than l what is going on

longtimesaint
Club Player

I think the Essendon game showed why mini is in the side.
He is one of the best at keeping the ball in the forward 50, and after that game he was brought back.
while he does not get many possesions he usually executes well

One year will be our year
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Seems to be a lot of love for Armo given his track record so far.

He's got the skills, but to retain a spot:
- as an inside ballwinner, he's got to win more inside ball.
- get to more contests to have the chance to win more ball, inside and out.
- As a general midfielder, he's got to move more, and receive more outside ball.

When tried as a defensive mid, his legspeed affected which opponents he could be used on. When tried up forward, he was Mini without as much skill (I suspect if Mini cracked the midfield tomorrow, it still wouldn't be Armo, it'd be Steven in that role).

Armo's not far off. On this years work though, I'm hard pressed to see why everyone seems convinced he's getting shafted... all the things he needs to do to be an AFL footballer - and a good one - are in his own control. If the Gold Coast gives him a free pass, that won't change this.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
SB10
Club Player

Don't get your hopes up on Armo staying crew. Have a contact close to the Suns and I get the impression he's well and truly heading that way next year.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

SB10 wrote:Don't get your hopes up on Armo staying crew. Have a contact close to the Suns and I get the impression he's well and truly heading that way next year.
nah....ross wouldn't waste a selection on him if that was even remotely true....and i was one that thought he might be northern bound...until tonight.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saint58
Club Player

gringo wrote:We would get 0 for him. Not even an established player, let alone a top 10 b and f. I think they can take a player from each team without compo from memory. So if he walks we get nothing unfortunately.

Still crows are losing Bock for zip.
I hear the player that is going from our club (as all clubs have to supply a out of contract player) is Leigh Fisher he has played over 55 senior games.

So i hope ARMO doesnt go but if so we will get something for him.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint58 wrote:
gringo wrote:We would get 0 for him. Not even an established player, let alone a top 10 b and f. I think they can take a player from each team without compo from memory. So if he walks we get nothing unfortunately.

Still crows are losing Bock for zip.
I hear the player that is going from our club (as all clubs have to supply a out of contract player) is Leigh Fisher he has played over 55 senior games.

So i hope ARMO doesnt go but if so we will get something for him.
No club has to supply a player. Leigh Fisher certainly isnt going.