Ian Stewart Medal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:Fair bet that whoever wins it will be a far better human being than the bloke its named after.
What did he do wrong?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:Fair bet that whoever wins it will be a far better human being than the bloke its named after.
What did he do wrong?
Extracted from Wiki to save me from typing the much less conservative version(s) I was told...put it this way, in today's media environment the guy would have had a very interesting public life...

"...Just a few weeks into the season, Stewart quit the club, citing a heart attack. Speculation was rife that he had actually suffered a nervous breakdown, a view that was supported by the fact that he had been charged by the police (under the name of Ian Cervi) for exposing himself to daytime shoppers in Glenhuntly Road Elsternwick, when parked opposite to the Elsternwick Post Office, but it is certain that he quit before he was sacked. Certainly, Stewart was fit enough to resume as South Melbourne coach in 1979. He could not modify his hard-driving style and the personality clashes continued, but overall he got the best out of the limited material available at South Melbourne..."

Personal 'quirks' aside, an absolute out and out gun player in his day though...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Thinline wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
What did he do wrong?
Extracted from Wiki to save me from typing the much less conservative version(s) I was told...put it this way, in today's media environment the guy would have had a very interesting public life...

"...Just a few weeks into the season, Stewart quit the club, citing a heart attack. Speculation was rife that he had actually suffered a nervous breakdown, a view that was supported by the fact that he had been charged by the police (under the name of Ian Cervi) for exposing himself to daytime shoppers in Glenhuntly Road Elsternwick, when parked opposite to the Elsternwick Post Office, but it is certain that he quit before he was sacked. Certainly, Stewart was fit enough to resume as South Melbourne coach in 1979. He could not modify his hard-driving style and the personality clashes continued, but overall he got the best out of the limited material available at South Melbourne..."

Personal 'quirks' aside, an absolute out and out gun player in his day though...
No doubt about his playing abilities, but not a bloke you'd want as your best friend.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Mark
Club Player

and Tim Lane is a dick

rexy
SS Life Member

Mark wrote:and Tim Lane is a dick
:lol: :lol:

Maybe this year?
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

and Ian Stewart just likes showing his in public. That wasn't the 1st time either!

Another opportunity awaits!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

Tim Lane is a bitter old prick who has an anti saints mentality. Still got issues from the Wow Jones era. They will look like dicks when Joey gets three brownlow votes and Jack gets zip. Hope leigh takes the Chas and sticks it in their face.

longtimesaint
Club Player

When you consider that Jack really only kicked 5 on merit.
He was paid a mark when he clearly dropped it, and kicked another from the goal line for an interchange infringement.
Joey was by far the best on ground.

One year will be our year
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Statsman wrote:
Moccha wrote:Jack got one of his goals from an interchange infringement.
...and another for a "mark" that slipped straight through his arms and landed on the ground at his feet. :roll:
....and one from a garbage free kick against Blake when he took a Christiano Ronaldo style dive after Blake didnt touch him

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

So he kicked only four 'legitimates' against a premiership contender choc full of A grade defenders.

What a hack.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Moods
Saintsational Legend

I said straight after the game that J. Riewoldt was clearly best on ground. Not only did he kick 7 - (his cousin kicked 7 last week, a couple from downfields and 50m penalties, but I don't recall anyone mentioning that around here) he also set up 3-4 goals on his own. Joey and BJ were both great, but I'm not sure quantity of possessions should be used as main indicator of a performance.

Joey may well get BOG from umps - this only affirms to me that all they do is watch the midfielders. I leave many games believing Roo was BOG after taking 12 marks, kicking 3 goals and having 16-18 possessions. Umpy's always see it different. Jack Riewoldt had the biggest influence on the game as far as I am concerned.

bozza1980
Club Player

Moods wrote:I said straight after the game that J. Riewoldt was clearly best on ground. Not only did he kick 7 - (his cousin kicked 7 last week, a couple from downfields and 50m penalties, but I don't recall anyone mentioning that around here) he also set up 3-4 goals on his own. Joey and BJ were both great, but I'm not sure quantity of possessions should be used as main indicator of a performance.

Joey may well get BOG from umps - this only affirms to me that all they do is watch the midfielders. I leave many games believing Roo was BOG after taking 12 marks, kicking 3 goals and having 16-18 possessions. Umpy's always see it different. Jack Riewoldt had the biggest influence on the game as far as I am concerned.
I didn't think Riewoldt was best on ground but I can understand how someone else might. At the end of the day it is all subjective.

A bit like the NAB Cup Grand Final, where a player who kicked 5 goals when the game was won wins the best on ground medal, gave him 7, but everybody sees it differently.

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friends.