So how many members do we really have??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bendigo bob
Club Player

So how many members do we really have??

Everywhere you read or whenever we hear from someone at the the club thay say we have 40000 plus members. However in the paper today (Herald Sun) on the membership story it states that we have just over 39000 members. Who is telling the truth??

BJ has arrived!!!!!!!!!!

BJ's #1 Fan

Winner of the half time Social Club auction for Kosi's jumper Round 19 2005
Can we build it? Yes we can!!
Leo.J
SS Life Member

Re: So how many members do we really have??

bendigo bob wrote:Everywhere you read or whenever we hear from someone at the the club thay say we have 40000 plus members. However in the paper today (Herald Sun) on the membership story it states that we have just over 39000 members. Who is telling the truth??
Believe what you read in the HS at your own risk.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

I have one.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

I thought the club had an official announcement and quite a bit of hoo ha when they reached 40,000 for the first time, around Mid June

yipper
SS Life Member

Stephen Theodore wrote:I thought the club had an official announcement and quite a bit of hoo ha when they reached 40,000 for the first time, around Mid June
Yes they did. Apparently the Herald Sun missed all that!!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
saintlee
Club Player

Simple answer to this really, the AFL don't count all the memberships that St Kilda claim to have - same thing happens with other clubs as well - which is why there is 2 different figures.

This is answered in the membership tally thread somewhere, but its to do with memberships under 3 games or something which the AFL don't consider as "real" memberships.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:
Stephen Theodore wrote:I thought the club had an official announcement and quite a bit of hoo ha when they reached 40,000 for the first time, around Mid June
No the herald sun are quoting correct figures. Our club choose to add one game members to our total even though they know the AFL dont count them.
We are also like every other club now are are also counting 3 game memberships and then saying our membership has increased. It has but like every other club our 11 and 16 games probably havent increased that much just as the pies havent. Why the AFL let all clubs count 3 games in beyond me, well actually it isnt because it makes it look like memberships increase every year. Expect one game memberships to be counted in the next year or two.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

plugger66 wrote:
yipper wrote:
No the herald sun are quoting correct figures. Our club choose to add one game members to our total even though they know the AFL dont count them.
We are also like every other club now are are also counting 3 game memberships and then saying our membership has increased. It has but like every other club our 11 and 16 games probably havent increased that much just as the pies havent. Why the AFL let all clubs count 3 games in beyond me, well actually it isnt because it makes it look like memberships increase every year. Expect one game memberships to be counted in the next year or two.
One game memberships!!!!!!

Is every spectator counted as a member at our home games?

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:We are also like every other club now are are also counting 3 game memberships and then saying our membership has increased. It has but like every other club our 11 and 16 games probably havent increased that much just as the pies havent. Why the AFL let all clubs count 3 games in beyond me, well actually it isnt because it makes it look like memberships increase every year. Expect one game memberships to be counted in the next year or two.
the only way to take the "membership ladder" seriously is if it becomes a level playing field. the afl should just make the clubs pro-rate everything back to what fraction it is of an 11-game membership. so my 16-game counts for 1.45, whereas the 3-gamers count for 0.27. that would even things up a bit.

or an even better way of measuring it would be to look purely at the amount of money generated from memberships. but that might highlight exactly how much the supporters fund the game, which might be politically awkward.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
plugger66 wrote:We are also like every other club now are are also counting 3 game memberships and then saying our membership has increased. It has but like every other club our 11 and 16 games probably havent increased that much just as the pies havent. Why the AFL let all clubs count 3 games in beyond me, well actually it isnt because it makes it look like memberships increase every year. Expect one game memberships to be counted in the next year or two.
the only way to take the "membership ladder" seriously is if it becomes a level playing field. the afl should just make the clubs pro-rate everything back to what fraction it is of an 11-game membership. so my 16-game counts for 1.45, whereas the 3-gamers count for 0.27. that would even things up a bit.

or an even better way of measuring it would be to look purely at the amount of money generated from memberships. but that might highlight exactly how much the supporters fund the game, which might be politically awkward.
I'm sure I got into an argument on her when I suggested that the only way to really compare memberships between Clubs (and years) was to compare the actual dollars raised by selling memberships.

IIRC there was certainly nowhere near the additional money raised by Hawthorn selling 20,000 mopre memberships than us last year, which pointed to a large percentage of their members being 3-5 game ones.

HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
I'm sure I got into an argument on her when I suggested that the only way to really compare memberships between Clubs (and years) was to compare the actual dollars raised by selling memberships.

IIRC there was certainly nowhere near the additional money raised by Hawthorn selling 20,000 mopre memberships than us last year, which pointed to a large percentage of their members being 3-5 game ones.
Collingwood have also bolstered their memberships by "donating" honourary memberships to various causes in the community. I'm not sure how many (I had heard over 5000) and I'm not sure if we do the same?