Word is we're interested in Tarrant

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

matrix
Saintsational Legend

question
if fletcher was delisted by the bombers and he wanted to go around again....would you get him??

tough call, if you are on the verge of winning a flag and your window is seriously open then.....maybe??

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:question
if fletcher was delisted by the bombers and he wanted to go around again....would you get him??

tough call, if you are on the verge of winning a flag and your window is seriously open then.....maybe??
I think it is an easy question. If we dont some how win the flag this year there is only one answer and that is yes and that is why i say we shouldnt just so no to Tarrant.

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

No maybes, I'd definitely look at Tarrant. Drummond would be a great pick up, but presuming we couldnt fit him in the salary cap

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

Stephen Theodore wrote:No maybes, I'd definitely look at Tarrant. Drummond would be a great pick up, but presuming we couldnt fit him in the salary cap
Tarrant yes, Drummond no.

We need these bigger bodied players, we already have enough mid sized runners.

I was hoping we may have had a chance to look at Bock, but we missed there (didn't have enough $$$ obviously).

Tarrant has been fantastic since starting at Fremantle, and would be a good pickup if we have the chance to do so.

They walk amongst us...

JacksonsGirl
Club Player

Dean Cox on the radar too.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

JacksonsGirl wrote:Dean Cox on the radar too.
Richmond can have him :wink:

They walk amongst us...

saintsfooty
Club Player

I'd rather get Maxy than Tarrant.

FQF
SS Life Member

Third tall forward with the defensive mindset of a fullback???

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Djerrkura - Yes please
Taz - No thanks

We already have an ageing list so noone over 23 should be looked at.

We are doing ok with tall backs for now anyhow. Lets save the money and heartache and develop Miles and Simpkin please.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Djerrkura - Yes please
Taz - No thanks

We already have an ageing list so noone over 23 should be looked at.

We are doing ok with tall backs for now anyhow. Lets save the money and heartache and develop Miles and Simpkin please.
What if he helped us win a flag next year? Surely it is about now for the Saints because iin 3 to 4 years that dream will be over for a fair while.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Pretty sure Lyon will recruit a mixture of young, and ready-made, players again next year.

Way too early to say who...or even what type....and how the team, and individual players go in the finals will have a big influence.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:It depends where the club thinks we are at. IMO we have at the most 3 years to win a flag so if a 30 year old can do it then we should get him. Remember RL wanted Cousins and if it wasnt for the board he would be with us at the moment and he was 31 at that stage. And lets face it we probably would have won last year with him in the side. I dont there is no pint in getting players from other clubs that may help us. They must help us at the stage we are at or they are a waste of a pick. If RL says we need a full back and he is 30 years old and the right type and if that person is Tarrent then we would be mad not to get him. He probably does have 3 years left in him so it works in nicely to where we are.
+ 1. Could we trade him for Zac? Would also be very happy with Djerrkura, if we didn't get Tarrant.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

borderbarry wrote:Nathan Djerrkura from Geelong, and Nathan Krakouer from Port both looking for new homes. Would we be interested in either? Both have a lot more footy in front them than Tarrant.
I dont think either will be playing at ST Kilda next year but you'd have to think our recruiters will have a sniff at them considering we went for the expereinced leg speed options of Peake & AL last year.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
saintingIN

tarrant, really... i think he is a waste, he is honestly better off at freo, they are a good side who will play finasl for the next few seasons.

i think we have to believe in our younger kids to get the job done.

Dawson is good enough and with the likes of simpkin, johnson and miles... i think its a work in progress.

Miles is playing his second game this weekend and simpkin on the verge of playing senior footy. Johnson is a chance next year as it was always going to be had to get a gig in his first year..

Even when nick winmar comes back he could also add depth to our backline, i think we would be wasting a pick on taking tarrant... agree? disagree?

FQF
SS Life Member

saintingIN wrote:tarrant, really... i think he is a waste, he is honestly better off at freo, they are a good side who will play finasl for the next few seasons.

i think we have to believe in our younger kids to get the job done.

Dawson is good enough and with the likes of simpkin, johnson and miles... i think its a work in progress.

Miles is playing his second game this weekend and simpkin on the verge of playing senior footy. Johnson is a chance next year as it was always going to be had to get a gig in his first year..

Even when nick winmar comes back he could also add depth to our backline, i think we would be wasting a pick on taking tarrant... agree? disagree?
I agree with what you said... but you're talking about long term prospects, where Tarrant would be a solid fullback to fill the role for 2 seasons while our window is still open.

I have no doubt Dawson will turn into an excellent fullback, except that some here believe that he is not in that stage of his career at the moment to bare the burden on his own.

I see merit in both sides of the argument...

Will Johnson has, however, been worse this year then he was last year when not on our list.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:where Tarrant would be a solid fullback to fill the role for 2 seasons while our window is still open.
Bingo!

They walk amongst us...

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

HSVKing wrote:
Stephen Theodore wrote:No maybes, I'd definitely look at Tarrant. Drummond would be a great pick up, but presuming we couldnt fit him in the salary cap
Tarrant yes, Drummond no.

We need these bigger bodied players, we already have enough mid sized runners.

I was hoping we may have had a chance to look at Bock, but we missed there (didn't have enough $$$ obviously).

Tarrant has been fantastic since starting at Fremantle, and would be a good pickup if we have the chance to do so.
Gotta be kidding.

If you could keep Drummond healthy he's better than Gilbee. Not quite Goddard, because he's 1 sided... but what a 1 side... If I could build a defense from anyone in the league, Drummond would be one of my 6.

I'd back Misson and co. Heck, I'd do the massages myself...

Tarrant would be an upgrade short term upgrade on Dawson, Drummond is AA good.

Tarrant, unfortunately, is much more likely.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:Gotta be kidding.
No.
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:If you could keep Drummond healthy he's better than Gilbee. Not quite Goddard, because he's 1 sided... but what a 1 side... If I could build a defense from anyone in the league, Drummond would be one of my 6.
Good player, yes.
Consistent, no. (Injury prone).
Good disposal, most of the time.
What we need, no.

What I'm basing this is on is the fact we have enough of these players already.

Goddard, Gilbert, Gram, Fisher, Dawson, Gwilt, Geary, Clarke, Miles, Ray, Dempster and Blake all can play the same position that he would take.

Why drop or move one of them and still not be any stronger in the way of solid defenders?

He is a running player, we need to concentrate on someone who can put a fist to the ball and send it into the crowd!
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:Tarrant would be an upgrade short term upgrade on Dawson, Drummond is AA good.

Tarrant, unfortunately, is much more likely.
The point exactly.

If people can't see that we will be rebuilding again in 3-4 years, they're blind.

Time to go for the kill!

They walk amongst us...

Saintersss
Club Player

If we could get Tarrant for the right price, I'd defiently go after him. Like others have said, we have another 2 years, maybe 3 where we a real chance at a premiership, after that we are gone. I wouldn't mind trading many of our picks in the next 1-2 years for mature players, providing they fit within the salary cap.

HSVKing wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:Gotta be kidding.
No.
Good player, yes.
Consistent, no. (Injury prone).
Good disposal, most of the time.
What we need, no.

What I'm basing this is on is the fact we have enough of these players already.

Goddard, Gilbert, Gram, Fisher, Dawson, Gwilt, Geary, Clarke, Miles, Ray, Dempster and Blake all can play the same position that he would take.

Why drop or move one of them and still not be any stronger in the way of solid defenders?

He is a running player, we need to concentrate on someone who can put a fist to the ball and send it into the crowd!
While I agree with you in the fact we don't specifically need Drummond, I still wouldn't mind going after him, he and Goddard are the two best kicks in the league. Just imagine having them both of half back pinpointing 60m passes.

I just hope we continue to be active this draft period.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Give him number 9.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

Saintersss wrote:While I agree with you in the fact we don't specifically need Drummond, I still wouldn't mind going after him, he and Goddard are the two best kicks in the league. Just imagine having them both of half back pinpointing 60m passes.
IF we get him, I hope it is after we have picked up a big bodied, solid defender who can take the likes of your Halls, Clokes, Browns + Fevs, Pavs, Buddys, Riewoldts et al.

Not saying I wouldn't take him, but he is not our priority right now.

As you say with Tarrant, for the right price, I'd just hope we wouldn't move heaven and earth to get him.

They walk amongst us...

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Saintersss wrote:If we could get Tarrant for the right price, I'd defiently go after him. Like others have said, we have another 2 years, maybe 3 where we a real chance at a premiership, after that we are gone. I wouldn't mind trading many of our picks in the next 1-2 years for mature players, providing they fit within the salary cap.
Absolutely.

Price is everything. For the right price, he'd be an outstanding acquisition and would save us from having to go with a shaky last-line for another season.

Three years of a high-class full-back would be very tempting, especially when you consider the pressure it would alleviate on Fisher, Goddard and Gram.

Djerrkura would be great but I'm not convinced Geelong would let him slip for under a top 30 pick.

They'll use the Scott Thompson argument: "We've invested X years into a first round pick, developed him and want to keep him. If you want him, pay up, or risk him going to the PSD."

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: They'll use the Scott Thompson argument: "We've invested X years into a first round pick, developed him and want to keep him. If you want him, pay up, or risk him going to the PSD."
Don't think teams will remember the stupid thing we did last year with Ball and got nothing at all?

They walk amongst us...

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

HSVKing wrote:
evertonfc wrote: They'll use the Scott Thompson argument: "We've invested X years into a first round pick, developed him and want to keep him. If you want him, pay up, or risk him going to the PSD."
Don't think teams will remember the stupid thing we did last year with Ball and got nothing at all?
Bit different. Djerrkura has long-term value and clubs will pay to get him - and he won't cost a lot.

Ball was pretty much the opposite to all of that.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

kalsaint
Club Player

I dont care everyone believes we have enough runners. We cant break thelines. Those that have the speed arent protected enough by others.

So, we need a balance of speed and inside players. We loss one of each from 2009 thta we havent been able to replace adequately this year so we are currently worse off now from last year.

Tarrant is not the answer.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency