Not confident about Friday

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

midas_touch
Club Player

Not confident about Friday

I have a bad feeling that we will get beaten comprehensively by the Cats this Friday. For the past couple of months, I dont think we have shown that we are at the same level as the cats and pies imo. Our defense hasn't been anywhere near as strong as last year, plus our ferocious frontal pressure has deserted us. I hope to be proven wrong on Friday, but my intuition says that the game could very well be one sided. Does anyone else have similar thoughts?

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I'd be surprised if we won.

It's just hard to see us getting past them when they are absolutely primed and ready to go. There's no doubt their very best is better than ours - and Collingwood's. It's just a matter of whether our players are hungry enough to come out and compete for every ball.

Does it really hurt for the boys after last year? Do they really want it? This is the month to show it.

However, if there's a final you're going to lose, it might as well be this one. Small consolation, I know.

We're up against it. But if you have it in you, St Kilda, show it now.

My hope, as it is every year, remains the same. To at least be firmly in contention to win the Preliminary Final, deep into the last quarter.

Because at that moment, every team still standing is equal, and that has to be our minimum expectation from here.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda will win, I believe they do have it in them Everton.

ThomasR
Club Player

Two months ago we held them goalless in the second half - scoreless in the third quarter. It was an absolute shellacking. At the 'G with a bit of water about.

Last year hurt and I have little doubt a lot of our preparation this year has gone into working out how to beat this mob.

We will need to play very well but there is hardly any lack of motivation for this one - after last year I felt like we have been treading water towards the finals waiting for the real matches to start...... well here it is*

* only Tuesday night but close enough

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:St Kilda will win, I believe they do have it in them Everton.
Time to show it then, eh? Feels like an eternity ago that we defeated them during the season.

We either recapture that form or, well, hope that Fremantle conquers Hawthorn.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

The Linton Street Flash
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:
Time to show it then, eh? Feels like an eternity ago that we defeated them during the season.

God it must be miserable in your world!

What a sadsack. :roll:

Look again it's the Flash!!
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Not confident about Friday

midas_touch wrote:I have a bad feeling that we will get beaten comprehensively by the Cats this Friday. For the past couple of months, I dont think we have shown that we are at the same level as the cats and pies imo. Our defense hasn't been anywhere near as strong as last year, plus our ferocious frontal pressure has deserted us. I hope to be proven wrong on Friday, but my intuition says that the game could very well be one sided. Does anyone else have similar thoughts?
Thanks for sharing.

I disagree.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I dont fear Geelong. I respect them, but I dont fear them.

We match up well against them.

Different ball game in the finals.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

We are a good chance to win but i dont think it will be because of the defeat last year. It will be the better side. If we are relying on the defeat to get us through then IMO we are in trouble. It may work this week but I doubt it will work for 3 games against quality sides. We need to be at our best in all forms of the game.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:There's no doubt their very best is better than ours - and Collingwood's.
i don't agree with this.

i think all three of these sides can play so well for periods that they are unstoppable. the saints in the first half of last year's grand final are a great example. we weren't able to capitalise, but everything else was going in our direction. same can happen for either of the other two sides.

which is why we can win on friday night. but it's not at all guaranteed.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Anyone who thinks we'll be lacking in hunger and desire in the least, needs to get a clue.

This is the time and the game they've been lying awake at night thinking about and waiting for since that final gut-wrenching siren last year.

What those pr!cks took from us burns deep, have no doubt.

It will be game on... all you have to worry about is making sure you are there to witness it.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I'm surprised that ppl think we'll be comprehensively beaten. In the past 2 years there has only been one game where we haven't turned up to play when we are playing a top team. THat was Rd 16 against the pies this year - and there may well have been extenuating circumstances that game.

I am confident of one thing, that is the boys will give a good account of themselves.

ralphsmith
SS Hall of Fame

We should have won the last 3 games against geelong. We won 2 out of 3 but didn't kick accurately in the grand final.

Faith and hope is all you can have now. This finals series will be a battle of belief. From the supporters to the players.

Running that extra meter to make the tackle, jumping that extra bit to make the spoil is going to be the difference between victory and defeat.

If you don't believe in the cause you won't go the extra yard.

Go saints.

What is dead may never die, but rises again harder and stronger.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:
They didn't take it.

It was handed to them on a platter.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

I feel pretty good going in without the same pressure as last year. We had just started to get a few wobbles going into the last rounds and I was worried the pressure was about to overwhelm them. If we go down to Geelong it probably wouldn't matter as much as if we got beat at the same stage last year. I believe the saints are better mentally prepared to cope with the loss first up. They could realistically loose this one and still win a grand final in my opinion.

That said after hearing Shannon Byrne on the radio this morning they sound worried, think they aren't taking us lightly. My guess is Saints by 13 points.

Hopefully Johnson gets frustrated with Bakers fair but legal tactics and fairy punches Bakes then misses the rest of the year- karma for the outrageous penalty and the hypocrisy from the cats.

markp
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
markp wrote:
They didn't take it.

In need of some attention?

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

The Linton Street Flash wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

God it must be miserable in your world!

What a sadsack. :roll:
Why is that, because they offered an opinion?. An opinion that was not a whinge and that many would agree with. I desperatly want to win the flag like everyone else and I do think we will lift a huge amount for this game. But as much as I hate to say it, I do feel they are better at the moment. I just hope I am wrong.

I love this club
maverick
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
markp wrote:
They didn't take it.

I tend to agree.
If we play the same way as we did in the GF and nail those opportunities then we will win.

I don't think they are better, they just look that way because they are rarely challenged.

I think we are the only team capable of beating them, regardless of Friday night's result I see a Geelong Saints GF.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Tight and violent.

Both teams will know that chances are a win gets them Freo at the G for a slot in the big show.

They will be killing each other to get over the line.

Blood, concussions, corkies, tackles that hurt all day long.

It'll be epic.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Tight and violent.

Both teams will know that chances are a win gets them Freo at the G for a slot in the big show.

They will be killing each other to get over the line.

Blood, concussions, corkies, tackles that hurt all day long.

It'll be epic.
Hopfully all that blodd and concussion is on the pussys side

I love this club