The winner of tonight's game takes all

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

The winner of tonight's game takes all

The winner of tonight's game will go on to be the premiers.

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Wow i missed that in the news, awesome :wink:

Before Im 85
Moods
Saintsational Legend

I read Hird's article as well, and I don't buy it. Don't get me wrong, I believe whoever wins tonight has a distinct advantage, but WC in 06 lost their 1st final, won their 1st semi, and then had to travel to Adelaide to play the all conquering crows that year. They came from behind to win by 4 points in a really tough prelim. They still managed to win the GF the following week.

People have short memories. THis is a crucial game, but I don't reckon we should count our chickens if win (like 05) or lose faith if we don't win. It's the manner in which we play, especially if we lose that will count most. If we lose by a couple of goals but are into the game up to our necks I will still be confident. If we win by a couple of goals I won't think we have the cats measure either.

4ever_saint
Club Player

Last week James Hird stated on Fox Sports that "The loser of this game can't possibly make a Grand Final" to which one of his fellow commentators said "Even Geelong?". Nobody believes we will win and that is where the theory comes from . They don't think we can play Geelong-Hawthorn-Collingwood and still make the GF.

If we lose tonight, I am just interested to see whether we were ever in the game and how well we played our style of footy against the best.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:I read Hird's article as well, and I don't buy it. Don't get me wrong, I believe whoever wins tonight has a distinct advantage, but WC in 06 lost their 1st final, won their 1st semi, and then had to travel to Adelaide to play the all conquering crows that year. They came from behind to win by 4 points in a really tough prelim. They still managed to win the GF the following week.

People have short memories. THis is a crucial game, but I don't reckon we should count our chickens if win (like 05) or lose faith if we don't win. It's the manner in which we play, especially if we lose that will count most. If we lose by a couple of goals but are into the game up to our necks I will still be confident. If we win by a couple of goals I won't think we have the cats measure either.
Yeah Moods I held the view before Hirds article. I'm thinking it would be a widely held view.

ashjam
Club Player

If Fremantle and Bulldogs win and we lost tonight....we would play Fremantle at MCG next week followed by Bulldogs in Prelim Final.

Both big IF's but anything is possible.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

I must say, this has come as a shock...imagine what the AFL are going to lose in revenue with the GF being moved to this evening! :shock:

saint3d
Club Player

Moods wrote:It's the manner in which we play, especially if we lose that will count most.
I disagree with this. In finals, whether you win or lose matters a hell of a lot more than how you do it.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

ashjam wrote:If Fremantle and Bulldogs win and we lost tonight....we would play Fremantle at MCG next week followed by Bulldogs in Prelim Final.

Both big IF's but anything is possible.
don't tell anyone but if freo win then the AFL are thinking about playing the semi at the dome :wink: a freo and dog wins would mean a loss would be better :P

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
stinger
Saintsational Legend

according to robert walls...and i haven't done the maths...

"OVER the past month, the Saints have played ordinary football against ordinary teams. So it's good that they will be playing against the best tonight in Geelong. Why? Because St Kilda's record the past two seasons against high-quality teams has been exceptional.

In that period, it has played Collingwood, the Western Bulldogs, Sydney and Fremantle 17 times for 15 wins. Seems those Saints set themselves for the big games, and then deliver big time. And so, tonight, they will be tested once more, going in as big underdogs against the Cats.

so if you add in the three times we have played geelong....that's 20 games for 17 wins......impressive even if i think walls maths are up the s***.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saint3d
Club Player

stinger wrote:according to robert walls...and i haven't done the maths...

"OVER the past month, the Saints have played ordinary football against ordinary teams. So it's good that they will be playing against the best tonight in Geelong. Why? Because St Kilda's record the past two seasons against high-quality teams has been exceptional.

In that period, it has played Collingwood, the Western Bulldogs, Sydney and Fremantle 17 times for 15 wins. Seems those Saints set themselves for the big games, and then deliver big time. And so, tonight, they will be tested once more, going in as big underdogs against the Cats.

so if you add in the three times we have played geelong....that's 20 games for 17 wins......impressive even if i think walls maths are up the s***.....
If you're putting together a list of 'high-quality teams' of the past two seasons, I'm not sure Sydney and Fremantle would make the cut.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I fully agree that if we don't happen to get the chocolates tonight we can still win it, as could Geelong, but it would surely make the task one hell of a lot harder.
We need to get it done tonight and have ourselves a week off. Both teams will be going hell for leather and WE in the stands need to do what we can to help them get over the line, especially if it's close.
Some seem to be of the belief that because we're not out on the ground there's nothing we can do to affect the result, but I don't believe it. We can help lift them.
Do what it takes and you'll have what you want. You'll get what you settle for.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Lets face it if we win the statement will be true in most of our eyes, if we lose it will be complete bulls***.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Wonder what will happen in the Dogs roll the Pies in the rain.............. :wink:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Lets face it if we win the statement will be true in most of our eyes, if we lose it will be complete bulls***.
Exactly ol'e mate. Predicting the future is easy especially if it involves the Pakistan Cricket team.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

saint3d wrote:
Moods wrote:It's the manner in which we play, especially if we lose that will count most.
I disagree with this. In finals, whether you win or lose matters a hell of a lot more than how you do it.
Ha ha - of course it does. Let me rephrase it then. All is not lost if we lose, it's the manner in which we lose that will be the most important thing. And of course this is only true in finals where the double chance is on offer. Losing cut throat finals - well nobody gives a stuff how you lose.

IN summary - all is not lost if we lose 8-)

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman = Notstradamus :wink:

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:Cairnsman = Notstradamus :wink:
You must be if you think we have already taken all.

4ever_saint
Club Player

It's funny, on Friday night I was sure the winner would make it through to the Grand Final and have the greatest chance of winning. Now that the winner is us, I'm a little more pessimistic. Oh to be a saints supporter ;)

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:Cairnsman = Notstradamus :wink:
You must be if you think we have already taken all.
It's like fishing without burley :wink:

mohannair
Club Player

Re: The winner of tonight's game takes all

Cairnsman wrote:The winner of tonight's game will go on to be the premiers.
Yes, fully agree with you. Also the loss of last years GF will motivate our guys, you could see the emotions after the victory last night.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Do what it takes and you'll have what you want. If we want to win it we have to do what it takes. We did last night. Two more to go.
No need to be pessimistic, or optimistic. Just committed, to getting it done.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

Do what it takes and you'll have what you want. If we want to win it we have to do what it takes.
Just like taking your foot off the pedal against the Crows last week. You were getting stuck into anyone who was positive last week, when they knew we were playing for a win against Geelong. You will say that you said we had to lift and we did, but perhaps the grand plan is apparent now.