We needed the rain to win = myth dispelled

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

We needed the rain to win = myth dispelled

I want to see this team play a final in the dry, I am hungry for some more of that brilliance in the first half before the rain hit....sublime it was, sublime.

The beautiful delivery, and the big guys competing in the first, unstoppable IMO.

saint3d
Club Player

I agree with all of that.

If the rain had stayed away we would have won by six goals.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint3d wrote:I agree with all of that.

If the rain had stayed away we would have won by six goals.
Yep.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

The rain takes Roo and Kosi out of the game. It suits us in the middle and our pressure game, but puts our backs under massive pressure at ground level (i.e. not many small defenders, miss Bakes), and our twin towers are sometime found wanting in the rain

Carpe Diem
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Re: We needed the rain to win = myth dispelled

SainterK wrote:I want to see this team play a final in the dry, I am hungry for some more of that brilliance in the first half before the rain hit....sublime it was, sublime.

The beautiful delivery, and the big guys competing in the first, unstoppable IMO.
Agreed.

We were on track for a big win had the rain stayed away.

Riewoldt is our talisman and for him to be at his absolute best it needs to be dry. He was unplayable before the rain. He taught Taylor a lesson.

And btw K, initially I thought it was ridiculous but at half-time I bought into your "switch" theory.

First half we were moving through gears I forgot we still had.

When it really mattered we stepped up, just as you said we would. :o

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Beej wrote:
SainterK wrote:I want to see this team play a final in the dry, I am hungry for some more of that brilliance in the first half before the rain hit....sublime it was, sublime.

Agreed.

Riewoldt is our talisman and for him to be at his absolute best it needs to be dry. He was unplayable before the rain. He taught Taylor a lesson.

And btw K, initially I thought it was ridiculous but at half-time I bought into your "switch" theory.

I just think this group has big things to accomplish Beej.

They had an impatience about them at times during the home and away, a tendency to suddenly lift when neccessary, and above all St Kilda made the choice to get games into players that were underdone and rest a few...all factors that kept me believing.

I could bump threads and remind the people who jumped off, maybe tomorrow, but I am feeling quite charitable with everyone tonight :wink:

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I was hoping for it to rain as I thought we'd perform better with it stopping and starting...but it was not good! Totally agree! We work so much better in the dry! Probably the element that eventually sunk us in the GF! :(

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I don't think we're skilled enough to play in the wet...

our style at times is too cute, slick handles, floater kicks, relying on marking forwards etc really doesn't work well in the wet

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

The rain probably cost us the GF last year as well. I thought it was going to cost us again tonight. Almost certainly would have if it had started earlier.
I too would love to see us play a game in the dry. Like the GF this year. Bring it on!!!!

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
kalsaint
Club Player

skeptic wrote:I don't think we're skilled enough to play in the wet...

our style at times is too cute, slick handles, floater kicks, relying on marking forwards etc really doesn't work well in the wet
Exactly. Wet weather stops the long kicking game to forwards working effectively.

We also seemed to be stripped of the ball during the contest regularly during the wet weather contests.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
saintnick12
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:The rain probably cost us the GF last year as well. I thought it was going to cost us again tonight. Almost certainly would have if it had started earlier.
I too would love to see us play a game in the dry. Like the GF this year. Bring it on!!!!

Exactly. Our group was discussing this on the way home.
Surely we are due a big match in the dry after the GF, the big Geelong game this year and now this one.

If we end up playing them in the GF, or even getting to the GF, we want it dry. It usually is - we were unlucky it rained so much last year.

A dry Prelim, followed by a dry GF. Sounds like a plan.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Build a great big roof over that great stadium. FFS it's the flagship of Aussie sport - roof it!

saintnick12
Club Player

SainterK wrote:
Beej wrote:

Agreed.

I just think this group has big things to accomplish Beej.

They had an impatience about them at times during the home and away, a tendency to suddenly lift when neccessary, and above all St Kilda made the choice to get games into players that were underdone and rest a few...all factors that kept me believing.

I could bump threads and remind the people who jumped off, maybe tomorrow, but I am feeling quite charitable with everyone tonight :wink:
You really are an optimist SainterK, as am I. Nights like this are ones for all supporters to saivor, but those who held the faith even more so. We're not there yet by any stretch, but took a big step forward tonight and proved that Ross had a plan and knew exactly what he was doing. We flicked the switch tonight well and truely in that first half.

Been well and truely on the Bandwagon here. Been saying for months this is a year for the true believers. The only night I was really concerned was when when we lost to the bombers. That night I was talking about spending the money I had put aside for GF tickets...joking :wink:
Tonight Dad offered to shout if we make it. Won't let him, moneys still there waiting. Knew I'd be needing it :wink:

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
saint3d
Club Player

saintnick12 wrote:Been saying for months this is a year for the true believers.
Spot on.

noob
Club Player

I think we would be better prepared next time if it rained at the start of the game then during half time. You have a full 4 quarters to get your wet weather game on whereas last night the players moods must have changed with only a quarter and a half to play

mullet
Saintsational Legend

Think Ross said after the match something about leaving Zac in cos it was going to stay dry. Sorry cant quite remember exactly what he said and it wasnt at his press conference. Actually it may have been before the game come to think of it. Anyway he made choices due to the weather thats for sure

saintnick12
Club Player

mullet wrote:Think Ross said after the match something about leaving Zac in cos it was going to stay dry. Sorry cant quite remember exactly what he said and it wasnt at his press conference. Actually it may have been before the game come to think of it. Anyway he made choices due to the weather thats for sure
He said it on the interview on TV as the players walked on to the ground. Said he went with ZAC over Geary as it was going to be dry. He also said it in the rooms after the game.
Interesting.
Obviously the forecast must have been to stay dry til after the game, but it didn't pan out that way.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Never bought that wet weather theory, because what did we have to base that on? One game against Geelong earlier in the year. I had a bad feeling when I felt those raindrops on my head.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

saintnick12 wrote:
mullet wrote:Think Ross said after the match something about leaving Zac in cos it was going to stay dry. Sorry cant quite remember exactly what he said and it wasnt at his press conference. Actually it may have been before the game come to think of it. Anyway he made choices due to the weather thats for sure
He said it on the interview on TV as the players walked on to the ground. Said he went with ZAC over Geary as it was going to be dry. He also said it in the rooms after the game.
Interesting.
Obviously the forecast must have been to stay dry til after the game, but it didn't pan out that way.
When we got off the train and we were walking to the ground, Triple M informed us that the rain was now expected at half time, instead of at 11pm which is what was originally suggested.
Turned out to be 100% correct. If only Saints had the same weather guy as Triple M...

Beej
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote:Nights like this are ones for all supporters to saivor, but those who held the faith even more so.
To suggest that some supporters deserve it more is wrong IMO.

Being an optimist or a pessimist isn't something you choose, I'm sure it's a chemical in the brain that causes people to be one or the other.

Saying that the win was more for those who held the faith is akin to suggesting that it was more for those from a particular part of Australia or for those of a certain skin colour.

You don't choose where you were born nor do you choose your frame of mind going into a game of footy - it's just the way it is.

There wasn't a St Kilda supporter who wanted to lose that game which is why we're here so let's not draw a line through a group of supporters because there is no correlation between a supporter's level of optimism and how much they want the club to succeed.

battye
Saintsational Legend

noob wrote:I think we would be better prepared next time if it rained at the start of the game then during half time. You have a full 4 quarters to get your wet weather game on whereas last night the players moods must have changed with only a quarter and a half to play
Well said :)

Having said that, last night probably would have also been helpful as if a similar situation occurs we might be able to (or know to) adapt more quickly.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I think the other factor is that in the second half after a flurry of attacking we switched to defending the lead mode.

For example all our forwards flooded back...

That allowed the Cats to regroup and get back into the game.....ironically like the GF loss sparked with the Cats being awarded a goal instead of a behind.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Beej wrote:
saintnick12 wrote:Nights like this are ones for all supporters to saivor, but those who held the faith even more so.

Being an optimist or a pessimist isn't something you choose, I'm sure it's a chemical in the brain that causes people to be one or the other.

Saying that the win was more for those who held the faith is akin to suggesting that it was more for those from a particular part of Australia or for those of a certain skin colour.

You don't choose where you were born nor do you choose your frame of mind going into a game of footy - it's just the way it is.

There wasn't a St Kilda supporter who wanted to lose that game which is why we're here so let's not draw a line through a group of supporters because there is no correlation between a supporter's level of optimism and how much they want the club to succeed.
I agree to some extent with what you say. Optimism or pessimism cannot be chosen. But it was a night for those who are not fairweather- the like that turned up to the Port game when it seemed things were about to go into freefall, or those who kept on coming in mid 07 and 08 when we were battling, those who turned up from 2000-2002, in 94 and 95, and most of all those who were around in the wretched 80s, the real Moorabin faithful

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Beej
Saintsational Legend

dcstkfc wrote:
Beej wrote:

I agree to some extent with what you say. Optimism or pessimism cannot be chosen. But it was a night for those who are not fairweather- the like that turned up to the Port game when it seemed things were about to go into freefall, or those who kept on coming in mid 07 and 08 when we were battling, those who turned up from 2000-2002, in 94 and 95, and most of all those who were around in the wretched 80s, the real Moorabin faithful
Still, I'm sure there were people who would've loved to have been there during the 80s and if they could have, would have, but weren't able to for any number of reasons. Whether it be age, money, not having anyone to go with. Last night wasn't any less for them.

One of the great wins and we're trying to ascertain which supporters deserve more of the spoils.

IMO it's unnecessary and a little selfish.

saintnick12
Club Player

Beej wrote:
dcstkfc wrote:
Beej wrote:

Still, I'm sure there were people who would've loved to have been there during the 80s and if they could have, would have, but weren't able to for any number of reasons. Whether it be age, money, not having anyone to go with. Last night wasn't any less for them.

One of the great wins and we're trying to ascertain which supporters deserve more of the spoils.

IMO it's unnecessary and a little selfish.
Sorry, I didn't mean it to come across in a divisive sort of way. I'm disappointed in being called selfish. My post was written in the wee hours of Saturday morning, within hours of getting home from the game and with adrenalin still pumping through the body. I apologize for any offence caused. I did't mean it in that way.

Just that being optimists, posters such as myself and SainterK quite often have our posts ridiculed by people who think that level of optimism is stupid and are not afraid to call me on it.

I guess I should have phrased it differently. I guess I wasn't meaning that some deserved it more than others, just that it was satisfying to have held the faith and be proved right. I'd copped a lot of ridicule from other supporters of other clubs for my somewhat blind faith in our boys and the win is satisfying from that sense too.

I've written a few comments this year about how difficult the year has been and how it feeling like its going have to be a win against all odds. That phrase - a win for the true believers came to mind. Figure of speech I guess.

God, i was hugging and kissing complete strangers on Friday night at the siren, and we were all beside ourselves. There was more genuine joy and emotion than when we won the prelim last year (go figure). Maybe the journey this year has added to that emotion...not sure.