Ablett V Jones

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Ablett V Jones

I wonder how often Ablett has been goaless in a game this year?

anyway, congrats to Clint Jones on a great job

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Plus CJ bombed one from outside 50m himself....

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
matrix
Saintsational Legend

go he is a friggin sook isnt he

thinks he is the best player of all sport in the entire world

suck it up princess

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Plus CJ bombed one from outside 50m himself....
On his disused foot !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

noob
Club Player

on afl site they rated ablett a 7/10 and jones 6/10 .. i reckon it should be the other way around.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

As per the vast majority of his games now, CJ was absolutely fantastic.

It's been overlooked a bit here as we have all been too preoccupied with the sooking of the handbaggers

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Does any1 else think that we should use CJ to match up on someone else ala Bartel, Chappy or Selwood.

I still maintain my point that Ablett is by far the softest most overrated player in the comp.

Would much rather have Hayes, Goddard or Monty play on Ablett with the view hurting him the other way

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

In relative terms, Jones pantsed Ablett.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

skeptic wrote:Does any1 else think that we should use CJ to match up on someone else ala Bartel, Chappy or Selwood.

I still maintain my point that Ablett is by far the softest most overrated player in the comp.

Would much rather have Hayes, Goddard or Monty play on Ablett with the view hurting him the other way
I disagree. Jones made Ablett's touches fairly worthless by not allowing him space.
You have to play someone on Ablett IMO, because if you don't he runs with the ball, kicks goals, hits team mates on the tit, clearance after clearance.

Jones did just about as good a job on Ablett as you will see. If we play them in the Grand Final, Ablett will be expecting Jones, and will know that he got him last time and very well might do it again.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

As a saints fan and coach no doubt Jones was better than Gaz, it's all relative, when you keep the reigning brownload medallist to 21 touches and 0 goals, and you get any amount of it and a goal yourself. That is a massive win in the saints direction.

Carpe Diem
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Also forgot though, Gaz did get some fairly handy clearances, so that must be acknowledged.

Carpe Diem
gurubob101
Club Player

Gary 'The rules don't apply to me?' Ablett is a sook.
A quick , talented sook with great evasive skills and impeccable disposal but a sook nonetheless.
He only likes to play the game on his terms and gets put out if the coach doesn't play him inthe middle, his team mates fail to feed him his quota of cheap one two's or the umpires have the temerity to apply the rules correctly when he gets caught. He's a flat track bully and has to be tagged or he'll chop you up but faced with a quality run with player like C Jones his output drops off dramatically. Yes he's a good player but there are a dozen players I'd choose before Gary 'I'm off to Qld to collect my superannuation' Ablett... including Lenny, BJ and Riewoldt.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Ablett was hanging his head most of the night and turned the ball over on a ridiculously un-Ablett amount esp in first half.

CJ got in his head.

Unless he was thinking about how the weather will be nicer up here on the Coast...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Ablett was hanging his head most of the night and turned the ball over on a ridiculously un-Ablett amount esp in first half.
i thought the turning point in the last was when ablett got caught - just - streaming down the boundary line inside 50. cats fans all over the ground were going up already, but someone got a hand in and it was holding the ball, again. not sure who caught him but i wouldn't be surprised if it was cj.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

gilbert got one hand on his jumper and the ball spilled

holding the cherry against the sook 8-)

georgie girl
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
Thinline wrote:Ablett was hanging his head most of the night and turned the ball over on a ridiculously un-Ablett amount esp in first half.
i thought the turning point in the last was when ablett got caught - just - streaming down the boundary line inside 50. cats fans all over the ground were going up already, but someone got a hand in and it was holding the ball, again. not sure who caught him but i wouldn't be surprised if it was cj.
It was Sam Gilbert who caught Ablett.
I would choose Chapman in my team before Ablett! Ablett doesn't like the defensive work and sooks all the time.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

georgie girl wrote:
bergholt wrote:
It was Sam Gilbert who caught Ablett.
I would choose Chapman in my team before Ablett! Ablett doesn't like the defensive work and sooks all the time.
True. Chapman is never say die all day and I'd venture to say would be pretty much the first guy any of the 17 (18) coaches would pick each week if they had the chance. Absolute out and out gun and tough as freakin' teak (which made the fact Lenny stung him all the more satisfying).

For all his amazing talent, Ablett loses it if things aren't all about him.

Will be interesting to see how he goes in a side that'll probably only win three or four games next year... 8-)

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

georgie girl wrote: I would choose Chapman in my team before Ablett! Ablett doesn't like the defensive work and sooks all the time.
I would choose Chapman, Bartel, Taylor, Ling and Selwood all ahead of Ablett

The thing with Ablett is he's fast, generally picks the ball up cleanly and has good disposal... he however relies heavily on the ball to be handed to him.
Most of his kicks are cheap easy ones too

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

gurubob101 wrote:Gary 'The rules don't apply to me?' Ablett.
:lol: perfect summation of his reaction when pinged for holding the ball.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
georgie girl wrote: I would choose Chapman in my team before Ablett! Ablett doesn't like the defensive work and sooks all the time.

The thing with Ablett is he's fast, generally picks the ball up cleanly and has good disposal... he however relies heavily on the ball to be handed to him.
Geez I wouldn't. I reckon b/c many of us don't particularly like him we play down how good he is. He's incredibly damaging if he's allowed to run. The O.P. is spot on. C.J. would have scored well in our B&F Frid night I reckon. His contribution invaluable. Stop Ablett around the stoppages and you're a long way to beating the cats. Stop Ablett creating or kicking goals, also go a long way to beating them. IN retrospect I reckon C.J.'s game has been underated by many on here and in the media.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

skeptic wrote:

Interesting...very interesting. I have been making these same comments for the past 12+ months. Where is that particular poster with whom I had a lengthy debate about over this? Can't even remember whom it was now.

Bartel and Chapman are crucial to the Geelong team. Gary is the icing on the cake. He is a fantastic and at times, an amazing player to watch, make no mistake, but he IS over rated in regards to the hype generated around him. I believe that he is hyped up so much more than some of his team mates due to his name. If anyone believes he would receive the same amount of hype if he wasn't an Albett with the likes of Bartel and Chapman in that team, they are delusional. Has played some average footy in patches this year and if he wins the Brownlow, it is unequivocally and undisputedly RIGGED!!! Swan has it for mine. Lenny/BJ or Joey I rate as an outside chance.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
bergsone
SS Life Member

Had CJ second best for us ,did what he does best ,shut down a match winning mid,while getting some of his own ball.2 more games like that will do me thanks

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
skeptic wrote:

Geez I wouldn't. I reckon b/c many of us don't particularly like him we play down how good he is. He's incredibly damaging if he's allowed to run. The O.P. is spot on. C.J. would have scored well in our B&F Frid night I reckon. His contribution invaluable. Stop Ablett around the stoppages and you're a long way to beating the cats. Stop Ablett creating or kicking goals, also go a long way to beating them. IN retrospect I reckon C.J.'s game has been underated by many on here and in the media.

shhh, lets not let the secret out of the bag too soon.

if and i hope when we to the grand final lets keep his games underated!!! i am sure as time goes by he will get more publicity.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

was a prick in school to according to a mate that went to school with him.... a upper class snob.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Ralphy wrote:was a prick in school to according to a mate that went to school with him.... a upper class snob.
As opposed to a lower class snob...