Another AFL Insult

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Another AFL Insult

According to sources, if we had lost Friday night, we would have played Fremantle at Etihad instead of the MCG.
This was done because the AFL didn't believe that we could draw as big a crowd to the MCG as Geelong.
They will struggle to get much over 40,000 friday night.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Yes this was known last week, i heard it was because the Afl has an agreement to play a final there over a period of time

Before Im 85
bigred
Saintsational Legend

At least we would have got a bonus for finishing top four.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

The actual reason, as explained on Before the Game, is that Geelong have a high % of MCC Members, so it was decided to play the game at the G to accomodate them. Was more a case of Geelong not pulling a big crowd at Etihad rather than us not pulling one at the G.

Etihad have the right to host one final per year. If they dont, they get two extra H &A games the following season to compensate

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
GSG
Club Player

Re: Another AFL Insult

3rd generation saint wrote:According to sources, if we had lost Friday night, we would have played Fremantle at Etihad instead of the MCG.
This was done because the AFL didn't believe that we could draw as big a crowd to the MCG as Geelong.

Actually, it wasn't because of the total membership of the clubs. The AFL said that Geelong hand more MCC members than St. Kilda.

AP Erebus
Club Player

GSG wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:According to sources, if we had lost Friday night, we would have played Fremantle at Etihad instead of the MCG.

Actually, it wasn't because of the total membership of the clubs. The AFL said that Geelong hand more MCC members than St. Kilda.
This is what I heard as well.

I don't see this as an insult at all. I wouldn't have minded playing Freo at the dome if we'd have lost.

it has been around this time that "Kosi" will headbutt a fence, rip a hamstring or belt someone.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

AP Erebus wrote:
GSG wrote:

This is what I heard as well.

I don't see this as an insult at all. I wouldn't have minded playing Freo at the dome if we'd have lost.
Exactly...people grizzle all year that we dont get finals at our "home ground"..then when theres a chance of one, people complain its an "insult" we arent playing at the G

Cant have your cake and eat it too

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Any time the Saints get the opportunity to play a key game at Etihad, it's a good thing.

Had we lost, I'd much rather have played Freo on our home ground than on the G.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Etihad have the right to host one final per year. If they dont, they get two extra H &A games the following season to compensate
2 more games involving St Kilda? That would be nice :D

14 Dome
4 Interstate
4 MCG

Would be my ideal draw.

They walk amongst us...

stinger
Saintsational Legend

no...according to the press freo lobbied to have the game shifted to the mcg......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:no...according to the press freo lobbied to have the game shifted to the mcg......
Yep this is Freo's first ever final in Melbourne and they pushed for it to be on the MCG. Fair enough I say. Finals should be at the G not Etihad.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
Griggsy
SS Life Member

IluvHarvey wrote:
stinger wrote:no...according to the press freo lobbied to have the game shifted to the mcg......
Yep this is Freo's first ever final in Melbourne and they pushed for it to be on the MCG. Fair enough I say. Finals should be at the G not Etihad.
I think it could be also to do with this being their 1st game at the G this Season, amazing really.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Any chance of playing our prelim at Etihad if the Swans beat the Doggies?

Our Satuday night record at that ground is pretty good!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:Any chance of playing our prelim at Etihad if the Swans beat the Doggies?

Our Satuday night record at that ground is pretty good!
I hope not. The more games at the G the better. It will be at the G anyway what ever happens.