Next week will tough

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Next week will tough

Unless I have got the Saints wrong next week will be tough. We never blow sides out of the water so yes I am confident but some on here amaze me when they just think it will be a walk over. Why will we win by a lot when we really havent all year. Any logical explanation would make me feel at ease for the next 6 days.

SaintWal
Club Player

While I almost expect us to grind out a win I actually think that unlike last years PF we enter this one in good shape and relatively firing, the Dogs on the other hand are limping to the line. 4 Goals would be nice margin but in the end 1 point will do as well.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

next week will not tough

imo

Schillaci
Club Player

I think that because we have had a week's rest and the Dogs are limping to the finish we'll win easily.

A bit like Freo (with all their INS) turning the tables on the Hawks in the space of 2 weeks to the tune of 150 points or whatever the difference was between the 2 games (R21 & FNL)...so...rested players v sore players = big win for us.
Sandi was clearly not right v Cats & Hodge was hampered v Freo and look how those games worked out for them.

With ? on a few Doggies and their playing list looking thin we have to be confident. I understand we haven't belted teams in a while but given how things are shaping up a 10 goal win is not out of the question this week.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

The Dogs showed great grit last night to come back from a 5 goal deficit. By all acounts they could get Morris back to play on Roo, which would be better for them than Williams. Whilst I still think we are a better team they are in the PF on merit, and will be difficult opposition.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Next week will tough

plugger66 wrote:Unless I have got the Saints wrong next week will be tough. We never blow sides out of the water so yes I am confident but some on here amaze me when they just think it will be a walk over. Why will we win by a lot when we really havent all year. Any logical explanation would make me feel at ease for the next 6 days.

Pretty sure the players and coach don't think it will be a walkover and have a healthy respect for the Bulldogs ... in fact all opponents at this time of year.

If we do go out there and ruthlessly make an example of them with a big win, I'll be impressed and it will bode well for the following week.

But, yes, I don't like the ''it's in the bag" attitude either.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 12 Sep 2010 10:11am, edited 1 time in total.

older saint
SS Life Member

NO such thing as an easy prelim tha being said i thought WB had 1 win left in them and last night was it. I can see them doing what happened in 97/98 where they probably should have won the prelim in the 1st year but then came up against the same opponents 12 months later in the same game and got resoundingly beaten.

I can see match up problems for them around the ground and i hope it is dry as it will be easier to exploit them.
That said if we are not switched on it could be a huge upset

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

It's a prelim. It will be hard as all f***.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
bergsone
SS Life Member

Any injuries last night ?

Prelims are usually hard games,any advantage will be accepted.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Would have prefered to play Swans......

Swans have tired in a number of games in 2nd half...including both finals
Very muched doubt they could butter up for 3rd final win in a row....

Did not have losing to us in last prelim....a real burn for them(Dogs)
Also lost 2008

More raw talent in Dogs team compared to swans

Will be very tough

Hoping like hell we get to the bigdance.....our best will get us there.

saint4life
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Playing an average side means nothing for the 2010 saints. Two losses to Essendon,losing to Port,Adelaide,thrashed by Carlton. Very scratchy wins against bottom sides....the worse the side,the worse we are usually. The anti flat track bully

Our game is set up around shutting down very good sides,and when there is nothing to shut down,we can look lost.

We should win,but I can't see us winning it easily,we don't do that..

Bring back the Lockett era
noob
Club Player

If we couldn't beat essendon and bulldogs beat essendon convincingly with the same team they've got now.. It's going to be a tough match. Both teams usually play tight games whoever is playing.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:It's a prelim. It will be hard as all f***.
Exactly.

I would be horrified if the Saints took them lightly. Ross is too smart to let that happen though.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I think a big reason why we won't win easily is that the players will be at about 85 to 90% - with an eye on the Grand Final.

A bit like the Cats/Freo game, although I doubt we will be as far in front as they were.

Obviously a win is paramount, but if we can be in a position with 15 minutes left in the last quarter and the game is won, then that would be ideal....couldn't give a stuff about margins, just player management opportunities in the last term.....if that costs us a few goals, then so be it.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:Playing an average side means nothing for the 2010 saints. Two losses to Essendon,losing to Port,Adelaide,thrashed by Carlton. Very scratchy wins against bottom sides....the worse the side,the worse we are usually. The anti flat track bully

Our game is set up around shutting down very good sides,and when there is nothing to shut down,we can look lost.

We should win,but I can't see us winning it easily,we don't do that..
true, but those losses weren't Prelim finals....I hope we'd be a bit more switched on than we were for those games!

chook23
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:I think a big reason why we won't win easily is that the players will be at about 85 to 90% - with an eye on the Grand Final.
A bit like the Cats/Freo game, although I doubt we will be as far in front as they were.

Obviously a win is paramount, but if we can be in a position with 15 minutes left in the last quarter and the game is won, then that would be ideal....couldn't give a stuff about margins, just player management opportunities in the last term.....if that costs us a few goals, then so be it.
If we go in with that attitude we will lose.

saint4life
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I'm actually not that confident. This week will again be all about Johnson. Also, Rocket will sit them all down again and make them watch the last couple of minutes of the 09 prelim, to remind them of the pain. Plus, I'm sure they still have a chip on their shoulder about the 'controversy' of the 09 prelim.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:I'm actually not that confident. This week will again be all about Johnson. Also, Rocket will sit them all down again and make them watch the last couple of minutes of the 09 prelim, to remind them of the pain. Plus, I'm sure they still have a chip on their shoulder about the 'controversy' of the 09 prelim.
My though too.

Dont underestimate how much emotion plays a role - sure all coaches say it doesnt.....it does.

Dogs have been howling bout that prelim since the day.....they will be stung and come ready to play. I wouldve preferred Swans.

IF we allow them to jump out of the blocks like last prelim we will have no one to blame but ourselves - we cant realy on them kicking 5 pts in opening qtr again for us to stay in the game.

Our best is good enough. But only our best will get us there.

The thing with Prelims is you only need to pull out 1 great game and you are there....dogs know it.....IF we were to lose Id walk away saying we simply didnt deserve a shot at a flag........full well knowing that the Dogs wouldve played their GF and whoever they face on the big day would slaughter them......but thats the worst scenario.

IF we win convincingly Im confident we can beat anyone GF day......the opportunity wont be lost in the hype...

“Yeah….nah””
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

jonesy and chook echo my worries.

our best > their best

and i think thats due to our work ethic (Thanks ross)

but their best > our average.

Also they have two game plans, one which they mirror ours, and we'll smash them and the other one where they attack at all costs (as seen last night). a few turn overs, but they went over sydneys midfield which is relatively slow and created 1 v 1 opportunities for their forwards.

we hate sides that risk and kick long.

I'm hoping they try their keepings off game which will increase our probability of winning.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
PJ
SS Life Member

Saints are about controlling games, when they get the buffer they tend to play keepings off a bit. Everyone talks about how Geelong were all over St.Kilda in the last quarter, they only closed the gap by about 8 points. Saints were a bit in a defensive mindset. Had the game gone on I think you'll find the saints would have gone on the attack.

St.Kilda is really quite a meticulus controlling beast, blowing teams out of the water is not really in their heads.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Legendary
Club Player

Thinline wrote:It's a prelim. It will be hard as all f***.
Yup.

But we could not be in a better position - take that thought as comfort, as nerve wracking as it is.

Tell me that after snatching defeat from the jaws of premiership victory last year, this playing group will fold in a Preliminary final.

Keep the faith this week, if we turn up like we did in the first half against Geelong then we have to be a huge chance.

TriColourDisciple
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote:I'm actually not that confident. This week will again be all about Johnson. Also, Rocket will sit them all down again and make them watch the last couple of minutes of the 09 prelim, to remind them of the pain. Plus, I'm sure they still have a chip on their shoulder about the 'controversy' of the 09 prelim.

The Johnson thing doesn't really bother me as St kilda were in the same situation in '08, heading into the final against Hawthorn riding on the emotion of Harveys last chance of a fairytale ending.

As we know, the Saints were pathetically dissapointing the night.

The '09 prelim loss will be a driving force for them, but surely, our loss in the big one must be burning stronger within our boys

Proudly Brainwashed since 1972
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote: This week will again be all about Johnson. .
I hope so.

He may have had 19 disposals last night but he was dreadful.

I hope they make him the focus and seek to use him at every opportunity. If so it will be their downfall.

He is not the player he was.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
hotdish
Club Player

With Morris out, the bulldogs don't have anyone that can run with Riewoldt. Unless they have Hargrave run with roo, who isn't a KPP, Lake will get destroyed aerobically - he has been carrying a hip injury for the last 4-6 weeks and clearly isn't 100%. Williams is likewise playing injured.

Keep Hall to 2-3 goals, and we're home.

Extra break, they've got alot of niggles.

We are at full strength, they aren't.

The bulldogs struggle in the wet, we excel.

LaUrEnCe
Club Player

matrix wrote:next week will not tough

imo
this