Geelong or the Pies

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Banger724
Club Player

Would prefer the Pies... the GF experience that P66 mentioned for one reaon.

Other reason, it's been bloody hard to knock the Cats off twice this season already... as good as C'Wood has been this year, I think it would be a monumental effort, and harder, to knock a great side like Geelong off 3 times in the space of 3-4 months.

Think the Pies will win anyway.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I have a feeling that Collingwood who have been kicking innacurately at goal most of the year, will kick badly again.
The chances are they won't improve their accuracy under final's pressure - as they play a manic style, which may become even more manic with the finals.

So chances are they'll have 8 more shots at goal than Geelong and still lose by 2 goals.

Finna
Club Player

Thinline wrote:If given the chance we'll beat both.

I say that with absolute conviction.

I just care about the Bulldogs at this point.

I want us to crush them in the same uncompromising way Collingwood did in the first qualifier. Only by more points. And with more physical pain inflicted.

Although I'm nervous - who am I kidding, I would be if we were playing Warrnambool Thirds - my gut feel is we will unleash pure hell on them.
Loving this Post.

Keep it going Thinline.

We Will unleash all of the pain and fury from last year.

We Must Crush All Challengers in All Ways.

Go You Mighty Saints - Fire Up Fellow Sainters - it's our f****** time! Let take what is rightfully Ours!

Oh When The Saints Go Marching In.......
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Banger724 wrote:I think it would be a monumental effort, and harder, to knock a great side like Geelong off 3 times in the space of 3-4 months.
Sounds like the start of a beauuuuuutiful streak!

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

I am not really preferring anyone. i reckon Collingwood will go down to the Cats though. That's my gut feel.

Truth be told, I'm more focussed on this week though - if we win this Saturday night, I'll be ecstatic. We'll be in our second Grand Final and I can make a great case for defeating either team playing tommorow night next Saturday should we get there.

Incidentally, this will be the first time in ages (possibly ever) we play a Preliminary Final knowing who our opponent would be the following week, should we win that night.

If we play Collingwood, I'd back us because we were in the Grand Final last year and they weren't. most of our players will be hurting from last year and they won't want to let that oppurtunity slip again. Collingwood will be very arrogant thinking they've gotten us, since they smashed us last time and because they will have just beaten the Cats. I reckon we'll have their number and beat them by five or six goals.

If we play Geelong, its the replay of the GF last year. I highly doubt we will lose to the same opponent two years in a row. Geelong will talk themselves up pre-game a la Mark Williams in 2007 "We exist to win premierships" and also try and play on the revenge factor from two weeks ago as though losing that game was the worst thing ever and they OWE us for it - BULLSHIIT! We owe them for last year if anything. And just like Hawthorn did in 2008, we will throw everything at this team and run away with a comfy five goal win.

HOWEVER, before I can get carried away celebrating a premiership, we need to win THIS WEEK. I'm less confident about this game than I am about the one next week, should we make it.

I don't like how arrogant or ahead of myself I'm sounding here but that's just how I feel and what I think will happen.

Anyway, at the end of the day, it doesn't matter how arrogant or confident I am because I'm not representing St Kilda - as long as the players are just cool and calm about it, we'll be fine.

Looking forward to bumping this post at about 5:00PM on Saturday 25th September.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

I hope the Cattery beat Collingwood, and I reckon they will - don't know whether that helps the Saints much though, should they get thru.
Just couldn't stand Collingwood in the GF :shock:

Hold your ground :shock:
Banger724
Club Player

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:Incidentally, this will be the first time in ages (possibly ever) we play a Preliminary Final knowing who our opponent would be the following week, should we win that night.
I stand to be corrected, but I think we played Hawthorn on the Saturday night in 2008? But the two prior (04/05) were both Friday as was that marvellous prelim against North in 97.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Banger724 wrote:
OneEyedSainter77 wrote:Incidentally, this will be the first time in ages (possibly ever) we play a Preliminary Final knowing who our opponent would be the following week, should we win that night.
I stand to be corrected, but I think we played Hawthorn on the Saturday night in 2008? But the two prior (04/05) were both Friday as was that marvellous prelim against North in 97.
no you're right. That was on Saturday nght. My mistake.

Always forget that game as it was painful - Harves last game and a thrashing. I had to work that night so didn't see ANY of it. :-(

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I couldn't care less who wins this game. I hate both clubs with a passion. I know, I'm stating the obvious here.
However, I do at least hope for a game is that is one hell of a gruelling, darwinian survival-of-the-fittest style struggle which will bring the winner into GF week nursing their wounds :twisted:

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
supersaints
Club Player

Saints94 wrote:Geelong, because they will have to play 4 taxing games in a row to win it.
You have to be joking, I would hardly call the effort the Dockers put in as taxing.... whitches hats would have offered more opposition.

That being said , I'm just as confident as beating either of them, but would like to play the pussys because we owe them one........ but I will derive almost as much pleasure beating the filth.....

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

It is very hard to believe that the Pies will beat the Cats, although I think they will make a far better fist of it than they did last year: and I think Ball and Jolly (and Beams) will make a significant contribution to this.

I would have thought we'd massively prefer to play the Pies.

Many people on here seem to seriously underestimate the Cats: they are one of the best AFL lineups I have seen in over 4 decades of closely following the game: I think their midfield is definitely the best I've seen and the only thing that perhaps puts their overall lineup behind the Lions under Matthews the coach and the Hawks featuring Matthews the player is that they have been a bit unreliable in front of the sticks. But Podsiadly has made a significant difference there too.

Forget about how they've gone over the course of the season and how they went in the QF: the Cats are an absolutely fearsome proposition in a one-off big game like a Grand Final. If they beat the Pies, they will definitely (and deservedly) go in as clear favourites.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Don't really care which one, just want their prelim to match the hype, be hard physical and mentally draining with extra time, injuries and MRP worries.
Leave the winner in a weakened state for the GF the following week against a full strength Saints side.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
SaintTom
Club Player

Just rewatched the grand final (terrible decision) but it did make me more confident in beating Geelong. Put that game together with round 13 and the Qualifying Final, I think we have their measure. Last years Grand Final could easily have been different if those three shots in a minute to Milne, Mini and then Milne again had been converted, and we had most of the possession. Round 13 we managed to win comfortably, and the Qualifying Final was going our way in the dry. Starting to think that the Cats may be an easier task, but who knows. Just hope there are some sorer bodies out of their game than our game.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

no change to either side this week either

starsign
Club Player

haven't read the full thread but my take is

Geelong will win easily and
Suits me fine
Rather play them after they have played 3 straight for the GF c/f Pies

and I just couldn't stand 50,000 Filth fans Yelling "ball" all day in a GF which we are going to win either way!!!

Sooner the Filthy pretenders are out of the race for the flag the better

Summary:
either way Coll v Gee doesn't worry me ....we are on a MISSION and they can belt the living suitcases outta each other .... hopefully!!!!!

Beej
Saintsational Legend

If Geelong win, I hope it's on the back of a poor first quarter from Collingwood, just to reinforce the fact that we absolutely must be sharp early doors.

I'm sick of the sight of Geelong.

I hope Collingwood wins.

I really think we can put the Pies to the sword should we make a Grand Final, whereas with Geelong I feel we'd be in for another epic tug of war.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Let's beat the Doggies first....

But then, I may have a few nerves if Collingwood smash Geelong, if they really destroy them.

But if they win by less than three goals, or if the Cats get up, I won't be nervous.

If that second option plays out, I would be bloody confident of winning the GF.

roxanne
Club Player

Whoever wins, they will have played their Grand Final. Physically and emotionally. I don't think we can overestimate what a good position we are in - up to us to make the most of it.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Scores Level at the Final Siren, then extra time would be nice. The ultimate winner to be physically and mentally shagged.

Our recent games against Geelong are always tough and close, and I reckon we'd be entitled to be equal favourite in a Grand Final.

In recent years, we've "owned" Collingwood, but that recent game we were just awefull. Del Santo was a late withdrawl, Gram was fat, Roo was still out of touch and Goddard missed the previous week with the flu. Hopefully the result was an aberation.

To be honest, I can't figure the Magpies out. They may be good, but I can't figure out why. I'd be very nervous going into a Grand Final against them, but they may be easier for us than the Cats.

Scores Level, Extra Time will suit me fine

Legendary
Club Player

meher baba wrote:It is very hard to believe that the Pies will beat the Cats, although I think they will make a far better fist of it than they did last year: and I think Ball and Jolly (and Beams) will make a significant contribution to this.

Many people on here seem to seriously underestimate the Cats: they are one of the best AFL lineups I have seen in over 4 decades of closely following the game: I think their midfield is definitely the best I've seen and the only thing that perhaps puts their overall lineup behind the Lions under Matthews the coach and the Hawks featuring Matthews the player is that they have been a bit unreliable in front of the sticks. But Podsiadly has made a significant difference there too.

Forget about how they've gone over the course of the season and how they went in the QF: the Cats are an absolutely fearsome proposition in a one-off big game like a Grand Final. If they beat the Pies, they will definitely (and deservedly) go in as clear favourites.
Absolutely 100% spot on.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:
meher baba wrote:It is very hard to believe that the Pies will beat the Cats, although I think they will make a far better fist of it than they did last year: and I think Ball and Jolly (and Beams) will make a significant contribution to this.

Absolutely 100% spot on.
And yet, I believe the head-to-head record since 2004 has just tipped in our favour...we just haven't won 2 trophies.

sainta
Club Player

If omens are anything to go by, we'll be playing the pies. Several times over the past week there have been referenes to 1966 in my face via ticket numbers, movie references, book references.

I hope if/when we make it to the grand final and happen to play them that it also means a win!

degruch
Saintsational Legend

sainta wrote:If omens are anything to go by, we'll be playing the pies. Several times over the past week there have been referenes to 1966 in my face via ticket numbers, movie references, book references.

I hope if/when we make it to the grand final and happen to play them that it also means a win!
It's breen that kinda week, I guess.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

I really don't want to lose to either of them. Losing a Grand final is bad enough,but too lose to either of my two mosts despised clubs doesn't sit well.

Our best chance of winning would be to play the cats again...probably? Though a premiership defeating Collingwood would be epic. We'd probably become everyones second favourite side again for a while...

Few reasons I'd prefer to skip the pies

One,they're playing our 09 footy. They're pressure on the contest and ball carrier is not something that they will lose over night. They're going to be hard to beat.
2/ Getting a ticket if you're not a social club member for a under a grand is going to be tough with them in it
3/ If we did lose to them,F***......I'm already bitter enough,that might topple me over

Hope they play an epic tommorrow night. Geelong have a 2 point win for the ages after playing with no interchange bench in the last quarter. Players can hardly stand at the end.

Then of course we have to beat the dogs

Bring back the Lockett era
StSteven
Club Player

The Cats will win easily tomorrow and that worries me. I think Geelong are better than last year. Everyone goes on about Pies year but they had less %age than Cats and only 2 points ahead of Geelong.

If Pies win we win flag. If not I am going to have a sleepless week,