Argh now I'm worried.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Argh now I'm worried.

This was supposed to be us! We were supposed to have the easy win while cats and pies had the gruelling struggle.

I now have a horrible feeling tonight is going to be a real struggle for us. Ugh, this has been a really shitty night.

I'm going to bed.

Collingwood has sapped me of all my confidence now. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing.

wasaintsfan
Club Player

harden up princess!!!!!!

the boys wouldve been watching that.. and will get drilled into them tomorrow.... that we play the way geelong did and its lights out

goyousaints
Club Player

We did the same to geelong until the rain came,roo up forward little bit different to hawkins and mooney,sleep well my friend.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Forget everything else and just focus on beating the Dogs.

Worry bout other sides IF we get to next week.

“Yeah….nah””
sainter104
Club Player

Pussies gone that's great I bloody hate them now how sweet to beat those far king filth next week

Provided we beat the dogs i know

CARN OATH WE WILL

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I agree we need to beat the Dogs first, but ..

re: Geelong - a number of their so called champion players like Ling and Bartel may rack up possessions but they are slow and don't provide run.

Bartel for instance probably had close to 20 more possessions than Harry O'Brien - but O'Brien runs with it and looked more effective with a lot more zip.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Forget everything else and just focus on beating the Dogs.

Worry bout other sides IF we get to next week.
This.

Harness all your worry into cheering the boys and giving them something even close to the support the pies got from the crowd tonight.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Hehe...tonights game was never going to be close. Tomorrow night will be the game all the 'experts' expected tonight...but we survived it and almost won last year, we'll get through again. Collingwood v witches hats tonight...they won't know what hit 'em if we get through.

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

degruch wrote:Hehe...tonights game was never going to be close. Tomorrow night will be the game all the 'experts' expected tonight...but we survived it and almost won last year, we'll get through again. Collingwood v witches hats tonight...they won't know what hit 'em if we get through.
Bloody hope so. I am genuinely worried about how good they were tonight.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:
degruch wrote:Hehe...tonights game was never going to be close. Tomorrow night will be the game all the 'experts' expected tonight...but we survived it and almost won last year, we'll get through again. Collingwood v witches hats tonight...they won't know what hit 'em if we get through.
I have never seen Collingwood given so much control of the corridor...no pressure at all. They just won't get it against us. We just HAVE to win tomorrow night...it'll be one of the great travesties of AFL football history if we don't.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:I am genuinely worried about how good they were tonight.
our guys will be focused on beating the bulldogs. if we get through i doubt they will be intimidated by how good collingwood was/is.

respectful, yes.

saintkid
Club Player

degruch wrote:
#1GILL wrote:
I have never seen Collingwood given so much control of the corridor...no pressure at all. They just won't get it against us. We just HAVE to win tomorrow night...it'll be one of the great travesties of AFL football history if we don't.
The GF will be a fizzer if we don't win tomorrow night. We have to finish off the Dogs.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I just got home from the game - pies were simply awesome. HOWEVER, cats play into their hands. We, on the other hand play a different style. PIes were never going to be easy for anyone. Win tomorrow night, and I'm confident that Ross will have something worked out for them. One thing for sure - no way we'll roll over and take it like the cats did in that first half.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

#1GILL wrote:
Geelong looked fantastic last week against witches hats.

Schillaci
Club Player

Moods wrote:I just got home from the game - pies were simply awesome. HOWEVER, cats play into their hands. We, on the other hand play a different style. PIes were never going to be easy for anyone. Win tomorrow night, and I'm confident that Ross will have something worked out for them. One thing for sure - no way we'll roll over and take it like the cats did in that first half.
This is exactly what I was thinking as I watching it last night.
The Pies were great but Geelong were poor. The Saints would have played possession footy to stop the rot, Goddard would have been more effective as loose man in defence than Scarlett was, Riewoldt and Kosi would've been better than Pods and Mooney were...
The Cats looked bad. They persisted with handballs to whoever and they were immediately swamped by Collingwood players who weren't shepherded out of the contest by other Cats.
Credit to the Pies where it's due. I'm worried about how good they were but Geelong certainly contributed to that. We will do better.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

the cats didn't put in the hard yards till half way through the second quarter.

they were arrogant and looking to the week after.

see Hawthorn GF 2008.

THey lost it as much as the pies won it.

watch their defenders standing off the forward, and running forward.

they didn't chase and tackle till it was too late.

THIS COULD HAPPEN TO US IF WE DON'T GIVE THE RESPECT to the DOGS.

the odds on the TAB are as a function of trying to lure people to bet on the dogs to offset the potential 4 million dollar payouts should the saints win based on $100,000 and $500,000 bets for the saints.

I am thinking about putting money on the dogs at this time TBH if the odds lengthen any more.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

I'm not even thinking of next week. I was talking about tonight. I thought we'd thrash the bulldogs and the other two would gave a close match. Now the Maggies have flogged Geelong, I HIGHLY doubt we will have an easy win tonight now. The way Collngwood destroyed them tonight, leads me to believe that we'll get the close one.

And as I won't be able to watch or listen to the game I really hope it is not going to be tight and close. And even if I was looking ahead to next week what does it matter? I'm not one of the players. I'm sure the players won't be getting ahead of themselves.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Well now that I have woken up I feel a lot better.

I think it's just jealousy. Collngwood supporters have already made the GF whereas we still have to qualify. It's so much easier fir them to kick back and hope for a real slugfest tonight.

But now I've had a nice sleep and feel much better and ready to cheer us on tonight (sort of) so we can meet them in the GF.

Go Sainters!!!

St Michele
Club Player

[quote

Harness all your worry into cheering the boys and giving them something even close to the support the pies got from the crowd tonight.[/quote]

This is the key.. I want to be able to hear you all from Perth... I hope all in Melbourne are turning up and going to be loud and proud

Michele
Goals are dreams with deadlines!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

To the OP...

The Pies playing so well will hopefully bea great mental spur to our players that they need to display the frenetic work rate that they know that they can deliver...

Pies have aped a ot of what the Saints do..

So we just need to deliver our est and we can triumph..

Besideas Saints v Geelong GF would have been bih.

But Saints v Pies will be HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
samoht
Saintsational Legend

Hope our team is now jealous of Collingwood more than the Dogs are - that's all I can say.

They've "upped" rather than "aped" us..

We need to step it up - it remains to be seen if we can apply Collingwood
type of pressure over the next 2 games.

One thing Collingwood has over St Kilda is precision foot skills - how they deliver long passes to a team mate's advantage within a foot of the boundary line was amazing.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

The question needs to be asked of Bomber Thompson.

Many have rated him as one of the best coaches getting around,but really,he's had an embarrassment of riches to work with.

He has no plan B,he's just relied on his teams brilliance to win games,which is fair enough when you have 6-7 freaks in your side,and 7-8 other very good players to go with them. However we will see what sort of a coach he is in the next few years as he loses players. He hasn't found an answer for our frontal pressure on there over possesive style play,and we let them off the hook in the GF last year with atrocious kicking. This year Collingwood mauled them in round 19,yet he learnt no lessons from it,and got his right whack last night,his arrogance finally caught up with him

Bring back the Lockett era
samoht
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:The question needs to be asked of Bomber Thompson.

Many have rated him as one of the best coaches getting around,but really,he's had an embarrassment of riches to work with.

He has no plan B,he's just relied on his teams brilliance to win games,which is fair enough when you have 6-7 freaks in your side,and 7-8 other very good players to go with them. However we will see what sort of a coach he is in the next few years as he loses players. He hasn't found an answer for our frontal pressure on there over possesive style play,and we let them off the hook in the GF last year with atrocious kicking. This year Collingwood mauled them in round 19,yet he learnt no lessons from it,and got his right whack last night,his arrogance finally caught up with him
There may not be a plan B.

The lesson Bomber may have learnt may be that his champion team is too slow - and Collingwood has gone past them in most departments.
You also need speed to chase and apply pressure - when the ball was free Selwood, Bartel, Ling , Chapman - Geelong's so called champions" couldn't get to a loose ball ahead of the bottom four ranked Collingwood player nor could these "champions" apply effective chase.
I could catch Hunt just by walking - the guy is too muscle bound.
This left Collingwood free to deliver their pin point passes.
Last edited by samoht on Sat 18 Sep 2010 11:29am, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:
jonesy wrote:The question needs to be asked of Bomber Thompson.

The lesson Bomber learnt may be that his champion team is too slow - and Collingwood has gone past them in most departments.
You also need speed to chase and apply pressure - when the ball was free Selwood, Bartel, Ling , Chapman - Geelong's so called champions" couldn't get to a loose ball ahead of the bottom four ranked Collingwood player nor could these "champions" apply effective chase.
I could catch Hunt just by walking - the guy is too muscle bound.
This left Collingwood free to deliver their pin point passes.
That is well and good but didnt that team with all its slow players nearly beat us 2 weeks ago. Yes I know the whether helped them but they did get within a kick. By the way pace isnt our strength either and sides with it really worry us. The pies do have it. Slow play and controlling the ball is what is required next week if we win tonight.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: That is well and good but didnt that team with all its slow players nearly beat us 2 weeks ago. Yes I know the whether helped them but they did get within a kick. By the way pace isnt our strength either and sides with it really worry us. The pies do have it. Slow play and controlling the ball is what is required next week if we win tonight.
I was just pointing out the difference between Collingwood and Geelong - I know we don't have pace either and that's a concern.
Zoning may not be the way to play Collingwood ? - we might need to just go man on man and not give them any space - and attack ferociously and in numbers like they do - assuming we beat the Dogs?