Good article from Patrick Smith?!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Q5
Club Player

Good article from Patrick Smith?!

Just read this - for once he speaks the truth!!!

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sp ... 5926433097

stinger
Saintsational Legend

"Be wary of gifting this premiership. Geelong played not just into Collingwood's hands but its handcuffs. St Kilda and Lyon are smarter than that. They know and understand the Collingwood strategies. They will force Collingwood to play and adapt to their rhyme and rhythm.

One thing is for certain. The Saints will do a lot more than just handball and hope.'

.......smart man...our patrick.... :wink: :wink: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:"Be wary of gifting this premiership. Geelong played not just into Collingwood's hands but its handcuffs. St Kilda and Lyon are smarter than that. They know and understand the Collingwood strategies. They will force Collingwood to play and adapt to their rhyme and rhythm.

One thing is for certain. The Saints will do a lot more than just handball and hope.'

.......smart man...our patrick.... :wink: :wink: :lol:
I think Patrick has nailed it. Good article.

markp
Saintsational Legend

I couldn't be happier with all the hot air that's being blown up the filths' clacker... Smith is spot on.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I look at the discipline of our experienced core midfield - Hayes, Montagna, Dal Santo, and (yes) Jones. I look at the simply outstanding steadiness of Goddard, Blake, Gwilt and Fisher. I look at two clever and creative smalls in Schneider and Milne. And a big game ruckman in Gardiner, ever combative and dangerous forward. I look at the game's best player in Riewoldt and Collingwood's defensive conundrum in response (the underwhelming Reid, the underdone Prestiagiacomo or the unaccountable O'Brien?). I read these St Kilda names out loud and they all scream back at me LEADERSHIP. I think of Lyon's steely face as he patrolled the ground after our 2009 defeat and I think of his humble confidence, his unwavering faith in this group, the rock-like discipline he's instilled in all of them and his unflinching resolve. And then there's the rest of this 'capital T' Team. I think of McEvoy, all 200cm plus of him, laying a tackle, springing to his feet and bolting to the next contest, gathering a crumb and flicking out a handball with the deft touch of a mid half his size. I think of I think of Eddy throwing himself at the knees of the Bulldogs without the ferocity of a bloke who knows the feeling of missing out on the game's biggest stage. I think of Peake - an outsider if there ever WAS one - putting his head over it time and time again as he re-learned his game so he could play at a new club. I ponder Peake's determined reinvention and then look at Luke Ball lining up for the Magpies and see a soft, selfish decision made. And then I listen to all the hype surrounding Collingwood and watch its media thug president and its arrogant coach and its smug players and compare that - in as much as one can - to the 'job's not done yet' aftermath of our preliminary final and the roaring burn of the memory of last year's lost opportunity.

I take in all of that and I feel calm.

We'll be right this time.

Bring on the Pies.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:I look at the discipline of our experienced core midfield - Hayes, Montagna, Dal Santo, and (yes) Jones. I look at the simply outstanding steadiness of Goddard, Blake, Gwilt and Fisher. I look at two clever and creative smalls in Schneider and Milne. And a big game ruckman in Gardiner, ever combative and dangerous forward. I look at the game's best player in Riewoldt and Collingwood's defensive conundrum in response (the underwhelming Reid, the underdone Prestiagiacomo or the unaccountable O'Brien?). I read these St Kilda names out loud and they all scream back at me LEADERSHIP. I think of Lyon's steely face as he patrolled the ground after our 2009 defeat and I think of his humble confidence, his unwavering faith in this group, the rock-like discipline he's instilled in all of them and his unflinching resolve. And then there's the rest of this 'capital T' Team. I think of McEvoy, all 200cm plus of him, laying a tackle, springing to his feet and bolting to the next contest, gathering a crumb and flicking out a handball with the deft touch of a mid half his size. I think of I think of Eddy throwing himself at the knees of the Bulldogs without the ferocity of a bloke who knows the feeling of missing out on the game's biggest stage. I think of Peake - an outsider if there ever WAS one - putting his head over it time and time again as he re-learned his game so he could play at a new club. I ponder Peake's determination and then look at Luke Ball lining up for the Magpies and see a soft, selfish decision made. And then I listen to all the hype surrounding Collingwood and watch its media thug president and its arrogant coach and its smug players and compare that - in as much as one can - to the 'job's not done yet' aftermath of our preliminary final and the roaring burn of the memory of last year's lost opportunity.

Bring on the Pies.
Excellent post Thinline. :)

markp
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:I look at the discipline of our experienced core midfield - Hayes, Montagna, Dal Santo, and (yes) Jones. I look at the simply outstanding steadiness of Goddard, Blake, Gwilt and Fisher. I look at two clever and creative smalls in Schneider and Milne. And a big game ruckman in Gardiner, ever combative and dangerous forward.

I look at the game's best player in Riewoldt and Collingwood's defensive conundrum in response (the underwhelming Reid, the underdone Prestiagiacomo or the unaccountable O'Brien?). I read these St Kilda names out loud and they all scream back at me LEADERSHIP.

I think of Lyon's steely face as he patrolled the ground after our 2009 defeat and I think of his humble confidence, his unwavering faith in this group, the rock-like discipline he's instilled in all of them and his unflinching resolve. And then there's the rest of this 'capital T' Team.

I think of McEvoy, all 200cm plus of him, laying a tackle, springing to his feet and bolting to the next contest, gathering a crumb and flicking out a handball with the deft touch of a mid half his size. I think of I think of Eddy throwing himself at the knees of the Bulldogs without the ferocity of a bloke who knows the feeling of missing out on the game's biggest stage.

I think of Peake - an outsider if there ever WAS one - putting his head over it time and time again as he re-learned his game so he could play at a new club. I ponder Peake's determined reinvention and then look at Luke Ball lining up for the Magpies and see a soft, selfish decision made.

And then I listen to all the hype surrounding Collingwood and watch its media thug president and its arrogant coach and its smug players and compare that - in as much as one can - to the 'job's not done yet' aftermath of our preliminary final and the roaring burn of the memory of last year's lost opportunity.

Bring on the Pies.
10/10... :wink:

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Collingw@@d aren't going to get handed this Premiership, they're going to have to fight tooth and nail for it!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

I'm moved to paraphrase Braveheart...

They can steal our strategies... but they'll never take - OUR PLAYERS!!!!

8-)

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

good article from PS except for his praise of the Dogs. the dogs should be ashamed. Disgraceful record against top 4 teams. Massive downhill skiiers. And brittle as a porcelain plate. Sooked like babies over aker. Could not handle anything outside their comfort zone. Just soft as. Imagine if they had a real issue to deal with .
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 20 Sep 2010 12:22pm, edited 1 time in total.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Re: Good article from Patrick Smith?!

Q5 wrote:Just read this - for once he speaks the truth!!!
i would have felt more confident had he not written it. patrick smith has made a career of saying the opposite of the prevailing opinion and being almost invariably wrong. him being on our side isn't a good thing.

markp
Saintsational Legend

InkerSaint wrote:I'm moved to paraphrase Braveheart...

They can steal our strategies... but they'll never take - OUR PLAYERS!!!!

8-)
Give them nothing...

:twisted:

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

He must have missed the last time we played Collingwood.

The 1st quarter was almost identical to last Friday's game.

So I don't agree with him at all.

The way we will beat them, is to not allow them to get the ball in their F50. That's where they're dangerous.

If they win the midfield, the game simply gets played in their forward half, and O'Brien, Shaw and Maxwell don't allow it back out past the centre.

The only reason Geelong panicked and handballed, is that when they got the nut in defence, they looked up and saw Collingwood players up the ground.

Don't give them first use, and don't allow them too much ball in their forward half.

This is why the recruitment of Ball has been so important to them. Winning stoppages against Collingwood is critical - but quite difficult now.

The thing in our favour, is having the best 'lead up' forward in the game for that 'get out' kick that Geelong didn't have.

We may be able to bomb it up the line in the knowledge that Roo can contest it.

But really, if we let Collingwood get first use, and the game is played our defensive half we're rooted.

This is why, like every flag, the team with the game breakers and champions that stand up will win.

Forget our mythical genius game plan and brilliant structures. It's our stars that will win this for us.

Our magical game plan and tactical genius stangely disappeared earlier in the year when the stars were out of form - then coincidentally reappeared when Joey, BJ, Milney etc. started to play 'matchwinning' games.

The most important guys on the ground for us, are our running backs. the line breakers.

Gram. BJ (his kicking). Gilbert. Sam Fisher.

Followed by Roo.
Last edited by rodgerfox on Mon 20 Sep 2010 12:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Thinline wrote:I look at the discipline of our experienced core midfield - Hayes, Montagna, Dal Santo, and (yes) Jones. I look at the simply outstanding steadiness of Goddard, Blake, Gwilt and Fisher. I look at two clever and creative smalls in Schneider and Milne. And a big game ruckman in Gardiner, ever combative and dangerous forward. I look at the game's best player in Riewoldt and Collingwood's defensive conundrum in response (the underwhelming Reid, the underdone Prestiagiacomo or the unaccountable O'Brien?). I read these St Kilda names out loud and they all scream back at me LEADERSHIP. I think of Lyon's steely face as he patrolled the ground after our 2009 defeat and I think of his humble confidence, his unwavering faith in this group, the rock-like discipline he's instilled in all of them and his unflinching resolve. And then there's the rest of this 'capital T' Team. I think of McEvoy, all 200cm plus of him, laying a tackle, springing to his feet and bolting to the next contest, gathering a crumb and flicking out a handball with the deft touch of a mid half his size. I think of I think of Eddy throwing himself at the knees of the Bulldogs without the ferocity of a bloke who knows the feeling of missing out on the game's biggest stage. I think of Peake - an outsider if there ever WAS one - putting his head over it time and time again as he re-learned his game so he could play at a new club. I ponder Peake's determination and then look at Luke Ball lining up for the Magpies and see a soft, selfish decision made. And then I listen to all the hype surrounding Collingwood and watch its media thug president and its arrogant coach and its smug players and compare that - in as much as one can - to the 'job's not done yet' aftermath of our preliminary final and the roaring burn of the memory of last year's lost opportunity.

Bring on the Pies.
Excellent post Thinline. :)

ditto... :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintkid
Club Player

This comment is GOLD by Patrick:

"If Geelong had the services of Riewoldt you fancy the Cats would be premier for ever and a day. Cameron Mooney, James Podsiadly and Tom Hawkins all wrapped into one do not make half a Riewoldt."

Worth posting this on the filth's forum as a reminder that this GF is FAR from over! :)

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Also, and a few weeks ago I never would have thought this, but Dawson took massive steps last Saturday night in my books! He read the play and had some aggro about him! If he steps it up another notch this week we've got an impressive, near-watertight defensive zone!

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
saintkid
Club Player

I hope Dal is cherry ripe by Saturday and gets his damaging left boot back but in all honesty, the more I think about the match ups, the more quietly confident I am getting in us winning it this year. 8-)

eppo67
Club Player

I am so confident. Its not an arrogant smug confidence (unlike Collingwood fans) but a very calm, quiet confidence.

I have a genuine feeling the players have been holding back mentally all year just doing enough to win their way into the G/F. I think they will unlesh Saints Footy 2009 +1 on Saturday and the very high number of Pies players who have played only b/w 20 & 50 games are going to melt in the heat of it.

bob__71
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:He must have missed the last time we played Collingwood.

The 1st quarter was almost identical to last Friday's game.

So I don't agree with him at all.

The way we will beat them, is to not allow them to get the ball in their F50. That's where they're dangerous.

If they win the midfield, the game simply gets played in their forward half, and O'Brien, Shaw and Maxwell don't allow it back out past the centre.

The only reason Geelong panicked and handballed, is that when they got the nut in defence, they looked up and saw Collingwood players up the ground.

Don't give them first use, and don't allow them too much ball in their forward half.

This is why the recruitment of Ball has been so important to them. Winning stoppages against Collingwood is critical - but quite difficult now.

The thing in our favour, is having the best 'lead up' forward in the game for that 'get out' kick that Geelong didn't have.

We may be able to bomb it up the line in the knowledge that Roo can contest it.

But really, if we let Collingwood get first use, and the game is played our defensive half we're rooted.

This is why, like every flag, the team with the game breakers and champions that stand up will win.

Forget our mythical genius game plan and brilliant structures. It's our stars that will win this for us.

Our magical game plan and tactical genius stangely disappeared earlier in the year when the stars were out of form - then coincidentally reappeared when Joey, BJ, Milney etc. started to play 'matchwinning' games.

The most important guys on the ground for us, are our running backs. the line breakers.

Gram. BJ (his kicking). Gilbert. Sam Fisher.

Followed by Roo.
Hey Rodger good to see ya....are ya pumped for the grand final. I am so glad we have a highly structured game plan and that we wont fall into the 'Geelong Trap' of believing that our stars will get us over the line.

It is amazing how since Collingwood adapted to a more structured forward pressure game plan how they now have a bunch of stars. As always the best defence will win the flag. Just lucky we have the forwards to get through a forward press.

Anyway good to talk....Hope you have a great grand final week, and enjoy watching the battle of the two best diciplined and gameplan oriented teams of the year..

Bob :)

eppo67
Club Player

Bob71 I think Peake will also be massive. He is my tip for Norm Smith how about that for a prediction!!

saintly
Saintsational Legend

you guys are making me feel more optimistic. i am naturally pessimistic and especially after last years heartbreak, but reading your stuff, has imbude me with a little confidence, keep it up.

Hope the players believe!
the issue may now come to injuries to dal santo and gram, and the MRP on any of our players.
Last edited by saintly on Mon 20 Sep 2010 1:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:I look at the discipline of our experienced core midfield - Hayes, Montagna, Dal Santo, and (yes) Jones. I look at the simply outstanding steadiness of Goddard, Blake, Gwilt and Fisher. I look at two clever and creative smalls in Schneider and Milne. And a big game ruckman in Gardiner, ever combative and dangerous forward. I look at the game's best player in Riewoldt and Collingwood's defensive conundrum in response (the underwhelming Reid, the underdone Prestiagiacomo or the unaccountable O'Brien?). I read these St Kilda names out loud and they all scream back at me LEADERSHIP. I think of Lyon's steely face as he patrolled the ground after our 2009 defeat and I think of his humble confidence, his unwavering faith in this group, the rock-like discipline he's instilled in all of them and his unflinching resolve. And then there's the rest of this 'capital T' Team. I think of McEvoy, all 200cm plus of him, laying a tackle, springing to his feet and bolting to the next contest, gathering a crumb and flicking out a handball with the deft touch of a mid half his size. I think of I think of Eddy throwing himself at the knees of the Bulldogs without the ferocity of a bloke who knows the feeling of missing out on the game's biggest stage. I think of Peake - an outsider if there ever WAS one - putting his head over it time and time again as he re-learned his game so he could play at a new club. I ponder Peake's determined reinvention and then look at Luke Ball lining up for the Magpies and see a soft, selfish decision made. And then I listen to all the hype surrounding Collingwood and watch its media thug president and its arrogant coach and its smug players and compare that - in as much as one can - to the 'job's not done yet' aftermath of our preliminary final and the roaring burn of the memory of last year's lost opportunity.

Bring on the Pies.

love it. should be read by the players

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

bob__71 wrote:
Hey Rodger good to see ya....are ya pumped for the grand final. I am so glad we have a highly structured game plan and that we wont fall into the 'Geelong Trap' of believing that our stars will get us over the line.
The Geelong Trap??

Yeah, I'd hate to fall into a trap that has seen them play in 3 GFs and win 2 of them.

What a horrible trap to fall in to!
bob__71 wrote: It is amazing how since Collingwood adapted to a more structured forward pressure game plan how they now have a bunch of stars. As always the best defence will win the flag. Just lucky we have the forwards to get through a forward press.
I heard an interview the other day with Eddie McGuire, and he said that when they went to Arizona 3 or 4 years ago, that Malthouse presented his game plan to the players.

It only started to click for them, when their young guys became mature footballers, when they've had AA years from their stars, and since they've recruited guys like Jolly and Ball.

Game plans and structures are worthless without gun players. We've proven that time and time again over the last 4 years.

Our game plan disolves when our gun players don't play very well.

Hell - we wouldn't even get over the Dogs on Saturday night until Riewoldt, yet again, won th game off his own boot.

bob__71 wrote: Anyway good to talk....Hope you have a great grand final week, and enjoy watching the battle of the two best diciplined and gameplan oriented teams of the year..

Bob :)
No it won't.

It will be won the team that has players capable of stepping up and taking the game on.
Guys who can nail crucial goals when it counts.
Guys who can break lines and take on their man.

It will be won by the team that gets the most out of it's best 6-8 players.

Put it this way, unless we get brilliant performances from Roo, Lenny, Dal, Fisher, Joey and Milne or Schneider - we will finish 2nd again.

If the above guys 'play their role' and stand in a zone all day and 'be conservative' - we'll get rolled.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

The club has not been helped by Gary Ablett's indulgence. The Brownlow medallist will meet both Geelong and the Gold Coast Suns one more time before announcing where his future lies.

Hehe...fraudien slip?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:The club has not been helped by Gary Ablett's indulgence. The Brownlow medallist will meet both Geelong and the Gold Coast Suns one more time before announcing where his future lies.

Hehe...fraudien slip?
I predicted months ago/posted here that when Geelong get knocked out this year (due to the fact they have an ageing team with average age of 28) the media will turn on Ablett and say he effected the "fabric" of the team and play the blame game. Wait a few days and Caro will turn on him.

p.s did anyone see tha clip of that cats fan in the carpark on saturday morning. that was seriously funny. does anyone have a clip of it?