LOL - I knew Ross Lyon had read Moneyball

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

LOL - I knew Ross Lyon had read Moneyball

Bit off the beaten track for those that didn't read the thread last week about our recent recruiting. I couldn't help but put this quote in from The Age from tomorrows paper. I won't bore everyone with the details of the book - but it's my firm belief that Ross has based his coaching philosophy along many of the concepts in this book. If you get a chance read it! You may get a greater understanding of how sporting clubs in the 21st century operate.

Lyon also referred to the famous baseball book Moneyball in discussing the need for the Saints to take their chances against the Magpies.

"We know Moneyball - finals are a random chance, small sample, we understand anything can happen," he said.

"No-one understands that better than this football club ... we try and take hold of the opportunity."

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yes..he siad that in his post-match interview....which I posted due to our recent discussion.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
splud
Club Player

Just looked it up on Wiki...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moneyball

Interesting!

Moods
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Yes..he siad that in his post-match interview....which I posted due to our recent discussion.
Sorry - must have missed it SR. Got a bit excited when I read the quote. :wink:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Yes..he siad that in his post-match interview....which I posted due to our recent discussion.
Sorry - must have missed it SR. Got a bit excited when I read the quote. :wink:
No that is cool..I posted it mainly for you and another forumite anyway :wink:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The intesresting thing is who is doing the "number cruching"...and anaysis... I suspect it is Ross himself.

We don't have the stats that baseball has and so I would imagine it is more subjective.

Ross is very stats aware though.....he can quote stats on a broad range of aspects at the drop of a hat.

Still the basic strategy still applies that some players who are bit older can be aquired relatively cheaply who are lower risk for the role that you have in mind.

One could argue that at present that relative to draft picks aquistion cost that our "recyclables" are deliering more value than our "kids".

Legendary
Club Player

Was really interested when you posted this last week ... definitely going to get a copy of the book and read it now.

Lyon was asked a question on the radio earlier this year about the direction AFL would take next - he quoted developments from soccer and basketball (and baseball) in a tactical sense to understand where AFL was heading. I thought it was very impressive.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Ross is such a clever and dedicated operator. He is the best thing to happen to the footy club since Tony Lockett.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Just bought Moneyball to start reading in my lunch break. The story of Billy Beane's tryout immediately brought to mind last year's Grand Final sprint.

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
roxanne
Club Player

Exactly the sort of book Ross Lyon would read before bedtime.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
gooner
Club Player

Have always thought this. And the ideas make so much sense. After the top ten drafts picks can be a bit of lottery. Schneider, Farren, Peake, King, Dawson, even Pattison and Dempster. They play a role and we got them cheap.
I remember Bomber sneering at how we were a club that filled it's list with recycle players. Well we haven't had the stellar father son picks that they have had cheaply. This will be even more important ver the next few years with two extra teams coming in and hopefully us having very poor draft picks.

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
older saint
SS Life Member

I would guess he got it from the zen master Roos as Sydney did exactly that for a number of years before StKilda. - Davis, Jolly, Hall, etc etc

Moods
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:I would guess he got it from the zen master Roos as Sydney did exactly that for a number of years before StKilda. - Davis, Jolly, Hall, etc etc
Eactly - Paul Roos to my mind is the easily the best coach in the comp. Got the most out of a relatively poor list (talent wise) Even this year was only a kick away from a prelim final. I am confident that with RL in charge the saints will spend very little time in the bottom 4 if at all.

When you think about it, as much as we all crave a premiership, I don't buy it when ppl say I would be happy for us to spend the next 10 years at the bottom if we win on Saturday. No way I would be. I'm not wasting my weekends on a team that is hopeless and has no hope. I would still buy a membership, but I wouldn't go every week. Win lose or draw on Saturday, I want my team to be competitive most years. That's where the enjoyment of footy comes from I reckon. RL can give us this I believe.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

I'm a huge MLB fan and have read a few books on the sport. I read this last year and loved it. I think they are doing a movie on it possibly with Brad Pitt.

As well as getting handy players cheap, i like how the coach changed the strategies of the game, by going for men on bases as opposed to simply trying to hit homers.

Despite the obscene amounts of wages paid, baseball is still true to its history. I love the traditions and stat obsessions of the game.

A lot of sports experts in the US rate hitting the ball as the hardest thing to do in all sports.

Anyone gets a chance, there's a book about the Mets team of 1986, who won the World Series. They were the craziest, booziest, players in history but avoided self destruction for this one glorious season. Once, they caused 27 grand of damage to a jet while flying to a game. they had coke, hookers, grog, etc flowing all the time. Complete madness!!