Billings and King

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Secret Kiel
Club Player

Re: Billings and King

It's crazy talk. No need to trade him just yet. He's just got to get more consistent.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 9:57pm
Teflon wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 9:22pm
You told me it’s a modern game so Billings is a modern mid...except he doesn’t get clearances?
I’m confused on the mid bit
He’s a good wing/HF but we need mids
Trade away for mine
You are continually sidestepping the fact that Billings is currently top 25 in the league for disposals with 70% efficiency rating and from those select players sits equal 3rd for goals kicked

Go on ...... ignore this fact again ........ and again ......... and again .........
I’ll put it this way
Billings rated possession wise higher than Dusty Martin
I’d take Dusty in my midfield anyway thanks
You play with stats

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 10:12pm It's crazy talk. No need to trade him just yet. He's just got to get more consistent.
Fair point
His trade value will be much higher then I agree

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 9:48pm
Teflon wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 9:20pm
Devilhead wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 1:45am
Teflon wrote: Mon 24 Aug 2020 1:23am
Stats are always interesting
Have a guess how many goals Jacks kicked against
Cats
Tigers
Power
Pies
Lions ??????

Anyone for some downhill skiing?
Yes stats are-

Billings had 25 possessions v Richmond & 22 against Port - above his average - we won both games

He had 17 & 1 goal against the Cats on a down day for the whole team

Lions 15 and should have had 2 goals were it not for Dim Tim stopping him on the goal line

He had a filthy game vs the Pies as did the whole team

All probably while trying to shake a hard tag

Billings ain't the problem and trading him away won't fix it
You pointed to his goals?
I just pointed out he doesn’t get them against good sides when it matters - see Sunday
Absolutely replaceable
So when you say "see Sunday" you mean the miraculous goal he kicked in the last and also the 99% JB goal that Membrey inexplicably stopped on the goal line ...... ok then
We count 99% near misses now?? Lol
Yeah Sunday when for 3 qtrs Billings was non existent with 5 possessions to 3qtr time when the game was (luckily for us) being thrown away by Lions misses on goals

“Yeah….nah””
johnearljames
Club Player

Billings has been our second best player this season.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 11:31am
SaintPav wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 11:19am
Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 11:06am
SaintPav wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 10:36am
Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 9:49am
He could be a big liability in a final.
I could list a few big names who were quiet in big finals, but let's not go there.

Billings nearly won us the game on Sunday. It depends on which way you look at it.

I think you're using hyperbole to sound contentious because you like playing the role of the agitator. Fine by me.

Carry on.
I agree he nearly won us the game with a few touches in one quarter, imagine if he gave us two quarters. I'm pretty certain the coaches wouldn't have slapped him on the back and praised him for NEARLY winning us the game.
AND??!!

:roll:
Can you just allow me to be agitated. I'm annoyed at the backslapping given to Jack. He shouldn't be praised for that game in any way. He can't pick and choose when he wants to contribute. If he wants the big coin he has to earn it.
Show up at Saints with a pulse and we get the player pedals straight out of the cupboard...
It comes with 1 flag in 140 years player worshiping

“Yeah….nah””
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

johnearljames wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 10:53pm Billings has been our second best player this season.
Really he’s ahead of who Steele or Marshall??

Intriguing....

“Yeah….nah””
johnearljames
Club Player

Teflon wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 10:56pm
johnearljames wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 10:53pm Billings has been our second best player this season.

Intriguing....
Steele.

Marshall 3rd.

Want to watch the most boring and devious thing on television and probably in mankind's history, then tune into a daily live press conference at 11am.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 9:59pm To be honest... I’d be thrilled if we could add another Billings and another Hill to the team and have 4 players that could tear opposition apart in a quarter dividing the opposition’s focus.

IMO we don’t have enough of that type of player and you can’t get more of it by trading out what you do have
That’s great if you want no centre square clearances and in the Gabba they’re like gold!

“Yeah….nah””
The Barometer
Club Player

Billings is not the problem. We need more Billings. A guy having a bad day against a top 4 side and then almost turns the game in the last quarter and people want to trade him? Does he need to get more consistent or do our inside / main on ball midfielders need to get more consistent? I reckon Billings has done a pretty consistently good job over the journey in a pretty inconsistent side. Just because Ross/Dunstan etc have no trade value why trade someone who does? Billings/Hill are the jets that compliment and excel with a decent onball unit, not the scapegoats for a mediocre or under performing on ball unit.

saintkid
Club Player

johnearljames wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 10:56pm

Intriguing....
Steele.

Marshall 3rd.
I have Hunter Clark ahead of him and Jones also so far this season.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Butler?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Butler?

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 10:59pm
skeptic wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 9:59pm To be honest... I’d be thrilled if we could add another Billings and another Hill to the team and have 4 players that could tear opposition apart in a quarter dividing the opposition’s focus.

IMO we don’t have enough of that type of player and you can’t get more of it by trading out what you do have
That’s great if you want no centre square clearances and in the Gabba they’re like gold!
We already sit 4th for centre square clearances :wink:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Secret Kiel
Club Player

saintkid wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 11:47pm

Intriguing....
Steele.

Marshall 3rd.
I also have Gresh ahead of him and others are also pushing Buttler ahead of him. If you consider Zac was a bit player in the Swans midflied and has come in and flown past Jack it's not a good sign that he's capable of taking his game to the next level. He's supposed to be our homegrown elite but he is a bit off that category yet. And it's all about being consistent around when you pick and choose to roll up the sleeves, he still can't be that player who leads the way when the team needs him most, i.e. when the opposition gets a run on us or the game is in the balance. The team needed him well before Q4 against the Lions.

Speaking of games where we needed him, how did he contribute in the North and Freo game? Genuine question as I can't remember. Throw in the Pies and Geelong games too, our mids got fiddled with in those games against quality midfields. Did Jack put his hand up in any of those games and say "not on my watch". Again genuine questions because I can't remember.

What I can remember is this has been a massive problem for the development of this list for many seasons now, and famously acknowledged by Lethlean not long after he walked in the joint. Hence why he went hard after Hanners. Hence why we probably win against the Lions if Hanners plays.

Onfield leadership.

Down hill skiers look good on the outside, beautiful raking left foot kicks, (Fiona anyone) yep love that stuff, love wins too and so the time has come for Jack to plug the gap between his best and worst and we certainly can't be praising anything he does in losses like those against the Lions. Back slaps are for 4 quarter players becuase 1 quarter contributors rarely help you win games and finals.

takeaway
Club Player

Secret Kiel wrote: Wed 26 Aug 2020 7:46am

Intriguing....
Steele.

Marshall 3rd.
I also have Gresh ahead of him and others are also pushing Buttler ahead of him. If you consider Zac was a bit player in the Swans midflied and has come in and flown past Jack it's not a good sign that he's capable of taking his game to the next level. He's supposed to be our homegrown elite but he is a bit off that category yet. And it's all about being consistent around when you pick and choose to roll up the sleeves, he still can't be that player who leads the way when the team needs him most, i.e. when the opposition gets a run on us or the game is in the balance. The team needed him well before Q4 against the Lions.

Speaking of games where we needed him, how did he contribute in the North and Freo game? Genuine question as I can't remember. Throw in the Pies and Geelong games too, our mids got fiddled with in those games against quality midfields. Did Jack put his hand up in any of those games and say "not on my watch". Again genuine questions because I can't remember.

What I can remember is this has been a massive problem for the development of this list for many seasons now, and famously acknowledged by Lethlean not long after he walked in the joint. Hence why he went hard after Hanners. Hence why we probably win against the Lions if Hanners plays.

Onfield leadership.

Down hill skiers look good on the outside, beautiful raking left foot kicks, (Fiona anyone) yep love that stuff, love wins too and so the time has come for Jack to plug the gap between his best and worst and we certainly can't be praising anything he does in losses like those against the Lions. Back slaps are for 4 quarter players becuase 1 quarter contributors rarely help you win games and finals.
Have you had breakfast SK? If not, you'll have to take your tongue out of your cheek for a while at least.

I wouldn't mention the North or Freo games, they don't help your cause. Billings was easily Saints best player v North and in the top 3 v Freo.

He's been one of our most consistent all year, playing more wing/hf/hb than mid. Not a player like Jones with a raw edge and sometimes spectacular, but more the oil in the machine, linking plays with quality possessions, vital to any team. The game vs Bris in that regard was very encouraging - he lifted off the canvas and really tried to get us home. I hope he can repeat that trait.

spert
Saintsational Legend

The Barometer wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 11:27pm Billings is not the problem. We need more Billings. A guy having a bad day against a top 4 side and then almost turns the game in the last quarter and people want to trade him? Does he need to get more consistent or do our inside / main on ball midfielders need to get more consistent? I reckon Billings has done a pretty consistently good job over the journey in a pretty inconsistent side. Just because Ross/Dunstan etc have no trade value why trade someone who does? Billings/Hill are the jets that compliment and excel with a decent onball unit, not the scapegoats for a mediocre or under performing on ball unit.
Trouble is, when we play top 4 teams, our Billings types are the ones who need to be hitting the ground running, not waiting for a rocket at 3/4 time to pull his finger out in the last quarter when it's too late. He is capable of top class footy, but needs to do it against the best.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

takeaway wrote: Wed 26 Aug 2020 8:46am

Intriguing....
Steele.

Marshall 3rd.

Onfield leadership.

Have you had breakfast SK? If not, you'll have to take your tongue out of your cheek for a while at least.

I wouldn't mention the North or Freo games, they don't help your cause. Billings was easily Saints best player v North and in the top 3 v Freo.

He's been one of our most consistent all year, playing more wing/hf/hb than mid. Not a player like Jones with a raw edge and sometimes spectacular, but more the oil in the machine, linking plays with quality possessions, vital to any team. The game vs Bris in that regard was very encouraging - he lifted off the canvas and really tried to get us home. I hope he can repeat that trait.
Got coaches votes against North.

Easily in our top 5 players this year, some of the criticism on here is getting a bit desperate.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Can Billings play across Half Back?

Clark can move to the wing.

Food for thought for 2021.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintDippa
Club Player

The trade Billings thread is now 5 pages. Nuts. Just crazy.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I’ve banged on a bit about the FP thing but if we had more players like Billings, I’d rather he rest in a pocket and rotate through the mid with a player like Gresh opposed to carrying Kent or Lonie that get 6-7 possessions and a goal a match

freely
SS Hall of Fame

SaintPav wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 10:08am
Secret Kiel wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 9:49am
SaintPav wrote: Tue 25 Aug 2020 9:44am Granted Billings can be inconsistent but he can take the hits and goes when it's his turn. He is a lot tougher than people give him credit for.
It's the picking and choosing for a player of his percieved champion status. What's he had now, 3 or 4 really poor contributions within 12 games this season?

So called champion players don't have that embarrassing strike rate. At the moment I have him as a clear B grader and not worth the 800k we are reported to be paying him.
I never said he was a champion player but he's not a Fiora either. Far from it. Fiona also never had players sitting on him.

From my recollection, Fiora got a two year contract on the back of a fairly good season in 2007. Lyon cut him at the end of 2008 with a year still to go on his contract which meant the club had to pay him out a full season, a cost they thought was worth bearing because they wanted him off the list. That will never happen to Jack. Enough said on that comparison.

Yes, he has struggled to get into games a few times this season. But he plays on the wing and there have been a few times games have been played mostly on one side of the ground, which may have made it hard for him to get into the game. It's a totally different game these days.

Maybe the coach needs to manufacture a way to get him more involved in the game?
Fair bit of insight in this for mine. We've got two talented players in Billings and Hill who aren't getting enough of the ball. That could well be a gameplan issue. Also, now that we have more players who are good users - e.g., coffield, clark - there's less risk in allowing some of that outside silk to become a role, where we used to think of it as icing on the cake.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Hard to do but we all need to forget where he went in the draft.

While it's an important part of his background, it is just background and it's irrelevant now.

If you go to Uni for instance and are still talking about your VCE score after the first few weeks, people would think you're a d.ick.

My HSC score was an even 400* BTW. Background for anyone who is interested but I don't talk about it anymore because I don't like to show off. It's not what I'm about.

*I wish.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Secret Kiel
Club Player

takeaway wrote: Wed 26 Aug 2020 8:46am

Intriguing....
Steele.

Marshall 3rd.

Onfield leadership.

Made me chuckle a little re breakfast which incidentally was very enjoyable today.

Yeah look it was seriously a genuine question about how he went in the games we played badly in and to be honest I'm not too concerned about those losses as this is a gap year and an opportunity to practice your craft without the normal pressures of a full strength comp.

The 3rd quarter against Port is what I want to see in terms of improvement in individual's on field leadership. That was our best quarter of footy all year.

saintkid
Club Player

Intriguing....
Steele.

Marshall 3rd.

Onfield leadership.

Great post Secret Kiel. I very much wanted to put both Gresham and Butler ahead also but I didn't want to make it further obvious that Billings is a disappointment to me personally (and others in my clan). There are several posters here I respect, enjoy reading their comments and insights into the team and I don't want them to think that I have an unfair bias towards him, without reason. He has been in the system now since 2013 and struggles to get into the play far too often, particularly, when the game is tight and quite physical and needs one of our more mature, top end players to stand up. He rarely does when it matters and we've watched a lot of his games over the past 7 years.
I want him to do well but time and time again he goes missing and this now his 7th season at the club. Even his housemate Paton, has shown at times, way more hardness at the contest already. Billings is definitely a downhill skier, picks up a lot of cheap, ineffective possessions and in my opinion, is not worthy of being one of the highest paid players at the club. He simply doesn't do enough and is often rarely sighted when the team needs him.