Off Season Targets

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Off Season Targets

SaintPelican66 wrote: Fri 25 Sep 2020 9:21pm
Vortex wrote: Fri 25 Sep 2020 8:41pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 25 Sep 2020 11:45am Does this force Geary's hand on retirement? With Roberton, Long, Wilkie, Coffield, Webster, McKenzie and the best stopper of them all Paton all locked in, where does Geary fit in.
Wilkie, Paton, Long and Coffield are just about guaranteed priority, Webster and Roberton play tall and small and are tough, experienced and skillful. Then you have Battle too.
It seems logical that Savage and Geary make way. It will be a very interesting off season.
McKenzie who? The Asterisk Cup has robbed players the chance to push into the side. I hope he isn't lost to the virus.
McKenzie is an excellent VFL player.
Yes. I know why he's not in the seniors atm. Very difficult to mark a helicopter mung when playing in humid QLD conditions

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Fri 25 Sep 2020 11:45am Does this force Geary's hand on retirement? With Roberton, Long, Wilkie, Coffield, Webster, McKenzie and the best stopper of them all Paton all locked in, where does Geary fit in.
Wilkie, Paton, Long and Coffield are just about guaranteed priority, Webster and Roberton play tall and small and are tough, experienced and skillful. Then you have Battle too.
It seems logical that Savage and Geary make way. It will be a very interesting off season.
McKenzie who? The Asterisk Cup has robbed players the chance to push into the side. I hope he isn't lost to the virus.
He has at least until Monday week to say he's a Saints player. I think he's gone.

I think they'll keep Webster to move into Clark's half back role and I think Clavarino and Austin also will be casualties of shorter lists and savage spending cuts...Savage gone too.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Barrett (yes I know he's a troll) says Jake Carlisle hasn't been offered a contract yet.
He says he'd be amazed if neither the Saints nor anyone else, signed Jake, as he offers so much.

Remarkably restrained by the four-eyed scumbag

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
SaintPelican66
Club Player

Vortex wrote: Sat 26 Sep 2020 8:18am
He has at least until Monday week to say he's a Saints player. I think he's gone.

I think they'll keep Webster to move into Clark's half back role and I think Clavarino and Austin also will be casualties of shorter lists and savage spending cuts...Savage gone too.
Why until Monday week? Just curious?

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I haven’t read the entire thread but I read elsewhere Nathan Broad is a free agent at the end of the year. Premiership player that would slot in down back and free up Hunter or Coff? I’m in

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

WellardSaint wrote: Sat 26 Sep 2020 12:56pm Barrett (yes I know he's a troll) says Jake Carlisle hasn't been offered a contract yet.
He says he'd be amazed if neither the Saints nor anyone else, signed Jake, as he offers so much.

There’s probably a lot of players across the entire comp who haven’t been signed because at this stage the clubs don’t know what the list sizes, or salary cap, will be. Once that is confirmed we’ll find out pretty quickly who is staying and going.

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
minneapolis
Club Player

Best burn of the thread.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
minneapolis
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote: Sat 26 Sep 2020 12:56pm Barrett (yes I know he's a troll) says Jake Carlisle hasn't been offered a contract yet.

Just gives you an idea what the club thinks of him.

(A professional just-do-enough to get another game.)

diddley
Club Player

Goose is king wrote: Sat 26 Sep 2020 9:57pm I haven’t read the entire thread but I read elsewhere Nathan Broad is a free agent at the end of the year. Premiership player that would slot in down back and free up Hunter or Coff? I’m in
Nope. Not a free agent.
Is being reported as being gettable, AFL.com.au thinks early-to-mid 2nd round will get it done.
Personally, I would be going for Alex Witherden from Brisbane. Roughly the same price, admittedly without the premiership medals.

Faulky63
Club Player

Off the AFL site
JYE CALDWELL (GWS)
Draft picks: Late first-round / early second-round pick
Value on open market: $400,000-500,000 per season

With the possibility of Carlyle not being offered a contract then what about:
ALEX WITHERDEN (BL)
Draft picks: Second-round pick
Value on open market: $300,000-400,000

diddley
Club Player

My shopping list goes:
Jye Caldwell
Alex Witherden
Charlie Constable or Riley Collier Dawkins (why not both?)
Luke Parker (will settle for Shaun Higgins)

Midfield transformed, yet still youthful.
Witherden helps Clark (and to a lesser extent, Coffield) move up the ground a little more.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I would go after McGrath- I think he is one of the best going around.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Carlisle was dropped for 3 games recently there is something going on behind the scenes regarding his application to the team. There are/have been too many things occurring for Jake to remain at the Saints next year. Having said that if they let him go you can garuntee they will have a backup ready to go. Whether thats Clavarino or Battle or even recruiting Corr I very much doubt Jake will be at the Saints in 2021.
Last edited by Impatient Sainter on Sun 27 Sep 2020 3:45pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 27 Sep 2020 1:37pm

Carlisle was dropped for 3 games recently there is something going on behind the scenes regarding his application to the team. There is too many things occurring for Jake to remain at the Saints next year. Having said that if they let him go you can garuntee they will have a backup ready to go. Whether thats Clavarino or Battle or even recruiting Corr I very much doubt Jake will be at the Saints in 2021.
If Jake is released that frees up a fair chunk of salary, add to that the varying diminishing front ended contracts. This begins to explain the apparent "war chest".

The salary cap & list size for 2021 are the two keys to exactly how big this "war chest" may be.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Wrong time to be talking about trading out players who are in the best 22 imhfo. Wait until we are done for the year. Hopefullly with our second cup.

Then would you trade out someone who had just helped you win a premiership?
Last edited by saynta on Sun 27 Sep 2020 3:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

If Carlisle does go we can be ensured his trade will be used to fill a gap on our list eg skilled midfielders. There is talk on BF of rumours Isaac Heeney is in our sights. He has not been played that much through the midfield but perhaps thats where Gallagher etc see him playing going forward as does Heeney aka Zak Jones.

If we dont trade in midfielders there are plenty of good kids in the draft like Caleb Poulter, Archie Perkins who would be good fits into our side.

Rocket
Club Player

We also have $350k to spend off back of McCartin delisting. He is included in this year cap.

If Carlisle goes you would think this frees up extra $550-$650k. Combine the two and a million in spending money. Plus whatever spare cash outside these two.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote: Sun 27 Sep 2020 3:51pm If Carlisle does go we can be ensured his trade will be used to fill a gap on our list eg skilled midfielders. There is talk on BF of rumours Isaac Heeney is in our sights. He has not been played that much through the midfield but perhaps thats where Gallagher etc see him playing going forward as does Heeney aka Zak Jones.
There is not one Heeney to StKilda post of substance on BigFooty at present that I have read. If you actually have one then please share.

There is a vast number of trade posts which are fanciful, wishful thinking, trolling, made up etc etc. The Heeney ones are all in this category.

What we do know is that:
- he is contracted to the Swans till the end of 2022.
- his trade cost would be huge
- he is not a mid, and does not fill a prime need for us (even though he is a quality player).
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 27 Sep 2020 7:41pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

The Heeney talk is a piss take people :lol:

Then again maybe it isn't? :shock: :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: Sun 27 Sep 2020 11:51am I would go after McGrath- I think he is one of the best going around.
I thought he signed?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Sun 27 Sep 2020 7:17pm
spert wrote: Sun 27 Sep 2020 11:51am I would go after McGrath- I think he is one of the best going around.
I thought he signed?
just about to put pen to paper I hear

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

So, so far we have
1.a sketchy conjecture from Barrett about Brown

2. a report that we might be interested in Higgins but we are behind Geelong

3. a link to Caldwell that some suggest have us front runners

4. a total fabrication from Big footy about Heaney

Am I missing anything?

I really hope we are trying to get a gun midfielder with the money in the cap and sudden allure we have as a club.

Caldwell would be an excellent get and a potential 10 year player
But we need 1 serious established gun to make us a threat.
Let's not get distracted by Tall forwards or 32year olds before we land a big fish midfielder.

In Gags we trust.

Nee!
minneapolis
Club Player

fugazi wrote: Sun 27 Sep 2020 11:08pm So, so far we have

Am I missing anything?

I really hope we are trying to get a gun midfielder with the money in the cap and sudden allure we have as a club.

Let's not get distracted by Tall forwards or 32year olds before we land a big fish midfielder.

In Gags we trust.
Hi Fug,

that would be Taranto. (I am hoping against hope. Would cost next years first.)

If we do nothing but sign Taranto I would be ecstatic.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

minneapolis wrote: Mon 28 Sep 2020 1:23am
fugazi wrote: Sun 27 Sep 2020 11:08pm So, so far we have

Am I missing anything?

In Gags we trust.
Hi Fug,

that would be Taranto. (I am hoping against hope. Would cost next years first.)

If we do nothing but sign Taranto I would be ecstatic.

Nice to dream, but he is contracted to 2022, and we are short of trade picks due to last years deals, and little in the players that are worth anything to trade, that we can afford to lose.

Only hope with a player like Taranto is if GWS have a salary cap problem. But that still leaves us with the problem of how to pay his trade cost.

Best two FA mids are Viney and Crouch. Yes Taranto is better, but I doubt he is gettable.

If we could say land Viney and trade for Caldwell that would be a pretty reasonable outcome for us.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Mon 28 Sep 2020 3:13am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Mon 28 Sep 2020 2:39am

Best two FA mids are Viney and Crouch. Yes Taranto is abetter, but I doubt he is gettable.

If we could say and Viney and trade for Caldwell that would be a pretty reasonable outcome for us.
Oh boy!! Imagine if we got Viney or Crouch

Our dual best and fairest might find himself joining Luke Dunstan at Sandringham

And before certain posters get their undies in a knot, Seb has been progressively pushed out with Zak taking his spot and Sincs and Hunter getting more opportunities in the centre square