Luke Dunstan

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Re: Luke Dunstan

Sanctorum wrote: Wed 30 Jun 2021 12:02pm Overall the stats show that Luke Dunstan is having a better season than Seb Ross, but in the latter's defence, Ross has been given a different role this year and appears to be more of a utility around the ground, whereas Dunstan gets down and dirty in the contests at stoppages.

The way things stand and given their age, I wouldn't mind betting that the club will offer a new contract to Dunstan ahead of Ross, who could possibly attract interest from another club, especially GC Suns who have made it clear they are keen to get some experienced players to go there next year.
I think that's right. Fair to says it's on record that I'm no great fan of either but, credit where it's due - apart from a couple of games - I've thought Seb is at least playing with a bit of urgency this year and also, running more straight lines than crabbing sideways for no territory gained. The weird thing is that I know a player who played quote a bit with Seb and he told me that he was very, very quick off the mark in 10 metre sprints are were constantly amazed as to why he didn't use that in games to burst away from stoppages. I first noticed it the Tigers final last year when he literally burst off the mark kicking to the left of screen and left everyone scratching their heads with "I didn't know he could do that / wasn't expecting to have to guard that". That said - he probably does have some currency with another team. My fear is that we get say a late 2nd rnd pick for him and then do our usual trick of drafting an average player who we fail to develop properly who's off the list by 2024.

Luke has always been an inside bull and has had his head kicked in for years. He's brave and tough but, I've maintained you can't have one - let alone more - midfielders who can't regularly hit a target by foot. It's suicide. Luke's best games this year have been when he's had a role (ie North, Richmond game 2) and his worst are where he's played as a pure freewheeling mid (Sydney, Richmond game 1). It's probably more incumbent upon the coaches to find a role for him that exploits his strengths (i.e. inside / extraction) and limits his weaknesses (kicking and spread at speed).

Go you red, black & white warriors
Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 30 Jun 2021 12:26pm
Sanctorum wrote: Wed 30 Jun 2021 12:02pm Overall the stats show that Luke Dunstan is having a better season than Seb Ross, but in the latter's defence, Ross has been given a different role this year and appears to be more of a utility around the ground, whereas Dunstan gets down and dirty in the contests at stoppages.

The way things stand and given their age, I wouldn't mind betting that the club will offer a new contract to Dunstan ahead of Ross, who could possibly attract interest from another club, especially GC Suns who have made it clear they are keen to get some experienced players to go there next year.
I think that's right. Fair to says it's on record that I'm no great fan of either but, credit where it's due - apart from a couple of games - I've thought Seb is at least playing with a bit of urgency this year and also, running more straight lines than crabbing sideways for no territory gained. The weird thing is that I know a player who played quote a bit with Seb and he told me that he was very, very quick off the mark in 10 metre sprints are were constantly amazed as to why he didn't use that in games to burst away from stoppages. I first noticed it the Tigers final last year when he literally burst off the mark kicking to the left of screen and left everyone scratching their heads with "I didn't know he could do that / wasn't expecting to have to guard that". That said - he probably does have some currency with another team. My fear is that we get say a late 2nd rnd pick for him and then do our usual trick of drafting an average player who we fail to develop properly who's off the list by 2024.

Luke has always been an inside bull and has had his head kicked in for years. He's brave and tough but, I've maintained you can't have one - let alone more - midfielders who can't regularly hit a target by foot. It's suicide. Luke's best games this year have been when he's had a role (ie North, Richmond game 2) and his worst are where he's played as a pure freewheeling mid (Sydney, Richmond game 1). It's probably more incumbent upon the coaches to find a role for him that exploits his strengths (i.e. inside / extraction) and limits his weaknesses (kicking and spread at speed).
I believe Luke has to maintain 25 to 30 possessions for the remainder of the season to gain some trade currency for himself as much as the club and I fear that is why he is playing like his career is balanced on a knife's edge.

We will be looking to trade for a high pick to bring in a key tall forward that has been in the system a few years, think Sam Weiderman at Melbourne. Although Gold Coast have indicated they will trade for mid 20 experienced players I don't think Luke will be attractive to the GCS due to his lack of onfield leadership and inconsistency but he could form a steak knives deal if he is packaged up with Billings to get the GCS pick 3 which we use to bring in a player like Weiderman.

The next player on the Melbourne list that night be attractive to our recruiters is McDonald but is he worth Billings and Dunstan?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

"Luke will be attractive to the GCS due to his lack of onfield leadership and inconsistency."

Some posters are better off not commenting on certain issues.

Luke won a rising star nomination in his first game after captaining the Sth Australian under 17 pr 18 state side,

From ABC net.au

Luke Dunstan wins AFL Rising Star award after debut for St Kilda

St Kilda midfielder Luke Dunstan has joined a select group of players who have won a Rising Star nomination for their AFL debut match.

Dunstan starred with 21 disposals, nine clearances and seven tackles on Saturday night as the Saints opened their season with a 17-point win over Melbourne.

Two-time Brownlow Medallist Chris Judd, his Carlton teammate and captain Marc Murphy, three-time Brisbane premiership player Luke Power and Essendon star Dyson Heppell are others who were nominated for their first-game performances.

"Luke Dunstan is going to be a really good player for a long time at this football club," Saints coach Alan Richardson said.

"To play such an important role in our midfield in his first AFL game is testament to his ability."

The Saints recruited Dunstan with their second pick at 18th overall in last November's national draft."

Billings is a restricted free agent and can go anywhere he f****** wants to.
Last edited by saynta on Wed 30 Jun 2021 2:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 30 Jun 2021 10:27am No

You can add Leigh Montagna to the list too

All three were multiple AAs

NDS 3 times AA, RU B&F and top 4 finish twice

BJ and Joey both were dual AA
Joey twice RU B&F and a 3rd
BJ Runner Up a third (BJ won a B&F. At ESS)

Another question would be
Are those players as good as Nick Reiwoldt or Lenny Hayes
Because the reason they weren’t B&Fs was Because of Roo (6) and Lenny (3) plus Sam Fisher.

Are you suggesting Sebs Trevor Barker awards are not indicative of him being any good?
That's the point, a B&F (for any club) is a poor benchmark of ability as they're not standardised across the league and across eras. Different teams use different voting systems, and they have to hand one out every season whether they've got a team full of C-graders or a team full of A-graders. The B&F winner for the wooden spoon team might not even be good enough to crack the top 10 in the premiership team.

And for the record I think Seb has never been an A-grader, with his best being B+, and currently a solid B, which is fine, as every team needs those players.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Wed 30 Jun 2021 2:11pm
B.M wrote: Wed 30 Jun 2021 10:27am No

You can add Leigh Montagna to the list too

All three were multiple AAs

NDS 3 times AA, RU B&F and top 4 finish twice

BJ and Joey both were dual AA
Joey twice RU B&F and a 3rd
BJ Runner Up a third (BJ won a B&F. At ESS)

Another question would be
Are those players as good as Nick Reiwoldt or Lenny Hayes
Because the reason they weren’t B&Fs was Because of Roo (6) and Lenny (3) plus Sam Fisher.

Are you suggesting Sebs Trevor Barker awards are not indicative of him being any good?
That's the point, a B&F (for any club) is a poor benchmark of ability as they're not standardised across the league and across eras. Different teams use different voting systems, and they have to hand one out every season whether they've got a team full of C-graders or a team full of A-graders. The B&F winner for the wooden spoon team might not even be good enough to crack the top 10 in the premiership team.

And for the record I think Seb has never been an A-grader, with his best being B+, and currently a solid B, which is fine, as every team needs those players.
Just your opinion which means jack s*** to me. :roll:

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He was in the top 40 players in 2017

And top dozen mids

So I’d suggest he was A Grade that year

B+ in 2018/2019

He first ventured into C Grade in 2015 and was probably C Grade in 2020

B Grade in 2016 and so far this season

Overall, he’s been a B Grade mid, with some output better

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Seb Ross's rise to the top 50 was eye catching. At the time, I did a lot of analysis on his performances.
My impressions were that he was an endurance beast with explosive power in tight. He did exhibit some extraordinary athleticism, similar to Dustin Martin. However, the skill side and awareness was still C grade. At times he showed composure, at other times he saw a path to goal and exploded through it and he tackled ferociously, but his outside game lacked refinement, firstly due to left-handitis, often causing his disposal by foot to be rushed or floated forward, secondly, his positioning wasn't thought out, he'd call for and get the ball but waste any advantage because his path wasn't clear.
The role he plays now, has forced him to improve those negative traits but it isn't hard for teams to push him back in that direction when he goes into the middle.
He is a bull but not a matador. Dusty is both a bull and a matador.

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Why are you comparing him to the best player since Carey?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

On another note, Dusty best player since Carey?! You gotta be kidding!

B.M
Saintsational Legend

Who is better?

Maybe Gaz Jnr

But even he hasn’t had the big game impact of Dustin

His 2017 season was probably the best individual season from a player

He has almost single handily won his team 3 premierships

Leigh Matthew quote
“Put it this way, Dusty is the only player I’m not offended by, when compared to”

Been a lot of great players since Carey
None as impactful as Dusty

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Gaz Jnr and Buddy easy, both for at their peak and whole career. Then there are a number who have had better careers.

Dusty has some great games, many in big moments (though I think 1 or 2 of his NS medals have Houli’s name on them), but don’t forget there are a bunch of mediocre ones in between. Also the first half of his career wasn’t mindblowing.

Dusty gets a huge push from being at a big successful club, having tats, being a ‘bad boy’, and some good games that Bruce and the media can get all excited about. And of course, recency bias.

Also, only 2 B&Fs! ;)

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

It seems the penny may have dropped for Luke

His attack and hunt for the ball v Richmond was uncompromising - he went inside beast mode

Lets hope it continues

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

Put it this way

Would Richmond have 3 premierships

If not for him?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Who knows, I don’t think that question could ever be answered.

Also I think Bont, who is just coming into his prime now, will be better player than Dusty.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Leigh Matthews can sometimes be full of his own s***.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Wed 30 Jun 2021 8:03pm Why are you comparing him to the best player since Carey?
Just pointing out the gap in impact between elite athletes and elite footballers.
IMHO opinion, Roberton should have won the B&F and Billings and Steven had more impact on the season.