Seb Ross

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: Seb Ross

BM

Can you please point out one post from anyone suggesting he hasn’t had a decent career?

From what I can see, you’re making up your own statements and answering questions that no one has asked.

I note that you yourself suggest that “he didn’t enjoy hub life in 2020” to which I’m assuming is your bias way of saying he had a down year.

Isn’t the point of this whole thread that he’s in better form now?

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 18 Apr 2022 3:18pm
The_Dud wrote: Mon 18 Apr 2022 2:25pm
saynta wrote: Mon 18 Apr 2022 1:20pm
The_Dud wrote: Mon 18 Apr 2022 1:16pm
saynta wrote: Mon 18 Apr 2022 1:12pm
Some posters on this forum have been putting shade on Seb for years, even calling for him to be traded or delisted. Makes me sick, but now their chickens are coming home to roost and are kicking their fowl houses down. Our should that be"foul" houses down. 8-) 8-)
You’re forgetting Stinger that Seb was the one who explored free agency over the off-season and discovered there was nothing out there for him.
Did he dud one? Did you get that from Seb or one of your shady sources? Some people are gullible and believe all the rubbish they read. :roll: :roll:
Ok Stinger, I’m sure they’re all in on [insert St Kilda conspiracy here] to discredit Seb Ross for some reason being…? 🤦‍♂️

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/ ... 7b5af5f595

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/st-kilda ... 141973.amp

https://www.zerohanger.com/afl-trade-ne ... 91915/amp/
Bahaha. you must be kidding yourself if you think I am going to waste my time opening links posted by the likes of you. :roll: :roll:
Perhaps Dud could post something for the Herald Sun to get your attention

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

B.M wrote: Mon 18 Apr 2022 3:21pm “A lot of Seb’s work goes unnoticed externally, but inside the four walls we recognise just how important he is to our side on a number of fronts,” Saints list boss James Gallagher said.
“Seb is an honest and genuine guy, who has been a very good player for a number of years. More recently his versatility and willingness to play multiple roles for the team has become a really important aspect of his football”

I think that needs to be posted again for his detractors to read

Fact is, he hasn’t of a sudden improved, that’s a crock that is trotted out by the majority of the forum trying to find scapegoats for losses.

Saynta and I (and recently StErnie) have been in his corner for years, because we actually recognise and respect what he has achieved and usually delivers.

I think some have egg on their faces and don’t want to admit what they have peddled out in the past is rubbish so they either deny, back peddle or continue to try and push a moot point and justify their sentiments- even though it’s obviously rubbish!

2016 - Break Out Season (10 Brownlow votes, 560 possessions)
2017 - B&F and AA Squad avg 30ppg
2018 - Runner Up B&F
2019 - B&F Ultra Consistent
2020 - new role, run with player. One of the few Saints that didn’t enjoy hub life in Noosa because of his family situation
2021 - Played as a defensive Wing, another new role
2022 - would be top half a dozen in the B&F again

Any person with half a footy brain would concede that is a more than decent career, in fact that is a very good career to this date.
Throw in the Captaincy at one point, and 160+ games
Not sure why he has so many detractors
He is easily the best performed whipping boy in my time supporting footy
I agree with Gallagher. Particularly this bit.

"More recently his versatility and willingness to play multiple roles for the team has become a really important aspect of his football”

Its kept him relevant in a better list and helped develop his decision making and footskills.
He is great role model and being freed up from leadership duties to focus on his game has been excellent. Very important player.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

Some posters on this forum have been putting shade on Seb for years, even calling for him to be traded or delisted. Makes me sick, but now their chickens are coming home to roost and are kicking their fowl houses down. Our should that be"foul" houses down. 8-) 8-)
You’re forgetting Stinger that Seb was the one who explored free agency over the off-season and discovered there was nothing out there for him.
Did he dud one? Did you get that from Seb or one of your shady sources? Some people are gullible and believe all the rubbish they read. :roll: :roll:
Ok Stinger, I’m sure they’re all in on [insert St Kilda conspiracy here] to discredit Seb Ross for some reason being…? 🤦‍♂️

Bahaha. you must be kidding yourself if you think I am going to waste my time opening links posted by the likes of you. :roll: :roll:
That’s fine Stinger, you’re free to choose to remain wilfully ignorant, but the info is there for all to see.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 18 Apr 2022 5:35pm

That’s fine Stinger, you’re free to choose to remain wilfully ignorant, but the info is there for all to see.
:wink:

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

A lot of straw-man arguments being thrown out by the ‘Seb truthers’.

Everyone agrees Seb is a good/handy player that has the capabilities of playing very good games. You need good/handy players to make up a great side.

Some seem to refuse to acknowledge Seb’s limitations, most notably disposal by foot and hitting the scoreboard, these are a few of the things that hold him back from reaching the next level where players like Steele, Sinclair and Gresh currently sit.

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

If players didn't have limitations you possibly wouldn't need coaches.

Better to focus on the positives?

Not many playing AFL that can't be nit picked or second guessed .

saynta
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote: Mon 18 Apr 2022 5:41pm A lot of straw-man arguments being thrown out by the ‘Seb truthers’.

Everyone agrees Seb is a good/handy player that has the capabilities of playing very good games. You need good/handy players to make up a great side.

Some seem to refuse to acknowledge Seb’s limitations, most notably disposal by foot and hitting the scoreboard, these are a few of the things that hold him back from reaching the next level where players like Steele, Sinclair and Gresh currently sit.
I have been watching Seb's disposal by foot very closely for all five games. It's a lot better than others in the side and something he has been badly maligned over. Even hit the scoreboard on saturday. :wink: :wink:

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Agreed. It’s certainly improved.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

It has become consistent.
Its incredibly hard work for someone who it doesn't come naturally for at full pace.
As a bloke that has strong 1:1, run down and turnover abilities, his disposal is far more predictable and accessible for those around him.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

D.B.Cooper wrote: Sun 17 Apr 2022 8:51am Seb has been maligned on this forum for years and I don’t get it. There are guys who have been VFL standard who escaped bashing while multiple calls for Seb to be dropped or traded.

He is a solid B grade AFL footballer and will probably notch 250 games. Not a bad return for an early 2nd round pick. Is he bagged because he is not consistently A grade?

His attributes are fitness, he puts his head over it, he’s a team player, his training standards are high, he’s a decent solid citizen, he’s a good reader of the ball off hands at stoppages and judges when to dish off or take the game on pretty well on most occasions.

At his best he’s been A grade, anyone who can get it 30 times and be BOG multiple times is a very good AFL footballer.

His down side is his kicking is not A grade and he sometimes rushes disposal and turns it over.
Also the stop and prop and go sideways he was renowned for during the Rich era was infuriating. But was this game plan or Seb?

The fact he has won 2 x B&F is more about the depth of the club at the time. Goddard, Dal Santo, Montagna, Gehrig, Milne, etc didn’t win multiple or some even 1 B&F and no one would rank Seb above these guys as player.

Now Seb is behind Steele, Crouch, Gresh, Jones et Al and is the 5th or 6th midfielder at the club he’s all of a sudden improved and in career best form which is inaccurate IMO.

He seems to have a bit more license to attack and the team is playing well and they are enjoying their footy again, and low and behold Seb is playing well and most importantly contributing when the going is tough and game is in the balance.

If we start losing a few in a row I bet Seb quickly returns to the scapegoat 😄
for years ? how would you know with only 103 posts ?

D.B.Cooper
Club Player

The Fireman wrote: Tue 19 Apr 2022 12:11am
D.B.Cooper wrote: Sun 17 Apr 2022 8:51am Seb has been maligned on this forum for years and I don’t get it. There are guys who have been VFL standard who escaped bashing while multiple calls for Seb to be dropped or traded.

He is a solid B grade AFL footballer and will probably notch 250 games. Not a bad return for an early 2nd round pick. Is he bagged because he is not consistently A grade?

His attributes are fitness, he puts his head over it, he’s a team player, his training standards are high, he’s a decent solid citizen, he’s a good reader of the ball off hands at stoppages and judges when to dish off or take the game on pretty well on most occasions.

At his best he’s been A grade, anyone who can get it 30 times and be BOG multiple times is a very good AFL footballer.

His down side is his kicking is not A grade and he sometimes rushes disposal and turns it over.
Also the stop and prop and go sideways he was renowned for during the Rich era was infuriating. But was this game plan or Seb?

The fact he has won 2 x B&F is more about the depth of the club at the time. Goddard, Dal Santo, Montagna, Gehrig, Milne, etc didn’t win multiple or some even 1 B&F and no one would rank Seb above these guys as player.

Now Seb is behind Steele, Crouch, Gresh, Jones et Al and is the 5th or 6th midfielder at the club he’s all of a sudden improved and in career best form which is inaccurate IMO.

He seems to have a bit more license to attack and the team is playing well and they are enjoying their footy again, and low and behold Seb is playing well and most importantly contributing when the going is tough and game is in the balance.

If we start losing a few in a row I bet Seb quickly returns to the scapegoat 😄
for years ? how would you know with only 103 posts ?
Long time reader 👍

There's only one rule in the jungle! When the LYON's hungry, he eats!
B.M
Saintsational Legend

I certainly wouldn’t rate him above those players.

Are you saying we were a poor list in 2017?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 18 Apr 2022 9:26pm It has become consistent.
Its incredibly hard work for someone who it doesn't come naturally for at full pace.
As a bloke that has strong 1:1, run down and turnover abilities, his disposal is far more predictable and accessible for those around him.
The guys on on the couch said Seb had improved 10% over 2020 /2021.

Don't know how they worked that out but I will accept what they are saying particularly as he is playing a different role this year.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 19 Apr 2022 3:57pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Mon 18 Apr 2022 9:26pm It has become consistent.
The guys on on the couch said Seb had improved 10% over 2020 /2021.

Don't know how they worked that out but I will accept what they are saying particularly as he is playing a different role this year.
Whatever has happened he's for sure playing with much more consistency. That was my major knock on him that he'd get the pill but likely as not give it away or pass it to no advantage. Great to see him playing so well. Like an experienced (160 games), knows his job and doing it well, consistent, elite running, senior team player. Very durable too. About to turn 29. As others have said, could be a 250 game player.

ace
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Mon 18 Apr 2022 5:57pm
The_Dud wrote: Mon 18 Apr 2022 5:41pm A lot of straw-man arguments being thrown out by the ‘Seb truthers’.

I have been watching Seb's disposal by foot very closely for all five games. It's a lot better than others in the side and something he has been badly maligned over. Even hit the scoreboard on saturday. :wink: :wink:
I would prefer all his shots on goal go between the two big sticks, stop trying to hit the scoreboard.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

The Fireman wrote: Sat 16 Apr 2022 7:11pm Seems that player improvement is infectious
When you decide to play as a team, be accountable and work hard both ways as a team - then all ships rise with the tide. Seb is a classic example of this. I'm not ashamed to say I've been in the non-Seb camp for a long time but, it was based on his B & F's basically lauded as Brownlows. Seb's been a good honest footballer but his output his been completely stymied by a hopeless recruiting and drafting team. How we managed not to recruit a better version of Seb to help him in all the time he's played (before Steele and Crouch rolled up and Gresh developed into more mid/less forward) is not Seb's fault. I always said it would be bloody awesome for us if Seb became our 15-20th best player in the team.

I'm really stoked for him (and us) that he's playing a great role that suits him and is bobbing up for a goal and looks generally happy. He should be - he's bloody earned it.
Playing midfield (or any position) under Cho would be enough to snuff the life out of anyone.

Go you red, black & white warriors
saynta
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Tue 19 Apr 2022 4:43pm
saynta wrote: Mon 18 Apr 2022 5:57pm

I would prefer all his shots on goal go between the two big sticks, stop trying to hit the scoreboard.
:oops: :wink: :wink: 8-)

B.M
Saintsational Legend

He seemed to play alright under Richo

Alongside Steven, Armitage and a few other decent players

We did win 23 games in 2016-2017

Killa
Club Player

And on and on it goes, the catalyst being those defending Ross as a multiple Best & Fairest winner at the Club therefore above analysis of his status at the Club

Ross is now 165 games into his career - so now one of our most experienced players

I could be flippant and offer that Ross is St Kilda's answer to Petracca (so given we had Ross we passed on Petracca and went for a key forward to prosper from Ross's presence as the lead midfielder of the competition)

But instead I will merely restrict my reaction to this never ending nonsense to the observation that a 2 times B&F player at our Club is no longer a member of our prime mid field 5, in support of our lead ruckman

At the start of the game Ross is not in the centra square - and he is not on either wing

So Ross as a 2 time B&F winner has dropped down the pecking order

And we have a raft of youngsters nipping at the heels of the lowest ranked of our mid fielders

Which is what footy Clubs (and life) are all about

We are all transitory

Ross will be surpassed - by Windhager or Owens or Bytel or Byrnes (just for starters)

This season?

Don't know

Next season?

Hopefully - because that says St Kilda continues to improve its player resources

Ross is 29 (the same age as Webster)

Remember Rattan is on the record challenging our younger players to push past our established players and to then make their own reputations

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Tue 19 Apr 2022 7:56pm And on and on it goes, the catalyst being those defending Ross as a multiple Best & Fairest winner at the Club therefore above analysis of his status at the Club

Ross is now 165 games into his career - so now one of our most experienced players

I could be flippant and offer that Ross is St Kilda's answer to Petracca (so given we had Ross we passed on Petracca and went for a key forward to prosper from Ross's presence as the lead midfielder of the competition)

But instead I will merely restrict my reaction to this never ending nonsense to the observation that a 2 times B&F player at our Club is no longer a member of our prime mid field 5, in support of our lead ruckman

At the start of the game Ross is not in the centra square - and he is not on either wing

So Ross as a 2 time B&F winner has dropped down the pecking order

And we have a raft of youngsters nipping at the heels of the lowest ranked of our mid fielders

Which is what footy Clubs (and life) are all about

We are all transitory

Ross will be surpassed - by Windhager or Owens or Bytel or Byrnes (just for starters)

This season?

Don't know

Next season?

Hopefully - because that says St Kilda continues to improve its player resources

Ross is 29 (the same age as Webster)

Remember Rattan is on the record challenging our younger players to push past our established players and to then make their own reputations
Geez you carry on a bit.

Just on Bytel, if he doesn't get a wriggle on Sharman will take his spot in our best 22.

Killa
Club Player

Vortex

Are you vaccinated?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Killa wrote: Tue 19 Apr 2022 8:15pm Vortex

Are you vaccinated?
Sure am, economic coercion forced me to take them to keep business ticking along. I'm guessing you are trying gauge if you are superior or not. Does this make us equal or do you still sit above me on the virtues and morals ladder becaue I have descenting views to yours?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

I am sure you don't give a f*** Killa, but you just lost me with your post on Seb.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote: Tue 19 Apr 2022 8:27pm I am sure you don't give a f*** Killa, but you just lost me with your post on Seb.
Ya never no Stinga, he probebly cood be the first.