Changes v Power

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changes v Power

SaintWiki wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 5:08pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 4:06pm Was very dry leading up to Thursday and since then we have received the following at the racecourse rain guage:

Friday 60.8mm
Saturday 155.2mm
Sun 12.8mm
Monday 72.4
Today 78.2mm
Are you sure you have your days right? - I haven't seen the racecourse guage but that list looks something like Wed to Mon, not a drop of rain since well before daylight today. Generally mild to light winds, whisky clouds and little spasms of sunshine.
https://www.farmonlineweather.com.au/st ... 22&list=rb

Whereabouts do you live?

Do you know the roundabout at the Freshwater creek, water was nearly over this morning. You must be living in the only dry patch in FNQ.

The monsoon trough is making its yearly trek north albeit a very late one this year. Usually by now its passed but its been a very weird and dry wet.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Hun's predicted team for Round 7:

"ST KILDA

B: C.Wilkie, D.Howard, D.McKenzie

HB: B.Paton, J.Battle, J.Sinclair

C: B.Hill, J.Gresham, S.Ross

HF: B.Long, T.Membrey, J.Higgins

F: M.Wood, M.King, D.Butler

FOLL: R.Marshall, J.Steele, B.Crouch

INT: N.Wanganeen-Milera, J.Webster, P.Ryder, Z.Jones

IN: P.Ryder, Z.Jones

OUT: J.Hayes (Inj), M.Windhager

Ruckman Paddy Ryder is due back from his two-match suspension. Midfielder Zak Jones did not play at any level at the weekenddue to AFL Health and Safety Protocols, but had impressed in his VFL return the previous week and will come under strong consideration to play his first AFL game for the year if he’s declared fit. St Kilda confirmed over the weekend that Jack Hayes suffered an ACL injury against the Giants last Friday night which will end his first season at the club.

- Chris Cavanagh

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I think we need to be a little weary of complacency.

Wood had 9 touches 1 behind, worked hard, did his job etc
Butler had 6 touches and harassed/chased… brought the pressure

NWH and Windy had about 10 touches each and look promising

Yep… it’s smiles and high 5 all round when we win and are sitting 5:1.

Those numbers though wouldn’t be as readily accepted if GWS barrelled past us in the second half or if in general we were closer to 3:3

You have Connolly and Bytel pushing to come in… Coops has his fans too.

Personally, I believe strongly that if you don’t reward hard work, players in the 2a drop their heads. If someone in the senior isn’t both working hard and getting results…
We still need to make the big decisions.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 5:42pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 4:06pm Was very dry leading up to Thursday and since then we have received the following at the racecourse rain guage:

Friday 60.8mm
Saturday 155.2mm
Sun 12.8mm
Monday 72.4
Today 78.2mm
Are you sure you have your days right? - I haven't seen the racecourse guage but that list looks something like Wed to Mon, not a drop of rain since well before daylight today. Generally mild to light winds, whisky clouds and little spasms of sunshine.
Note that the dat on that site is till 9AM each day. So the rainfall "today" is for the 24 hours prior to 9AM.

Anyway while the forecast was for heavy rain recently, it is not for heavy rain on game day.

But yes in the tropics and at night. So will take a toll of players and the ball will be slippery. Conditions that tend to favour more experienced players, and players with good endurance.

Jones's physicality could be a real asset.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 26 Apr 2022 8:29pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Friday 60.8mm
Saturday 155.2mm
Sun 12.8mm
Monday 72.4
Today 78.2mm
The BOM doesn’t seem to agree with you. Doesn’t look like much rain at all forecast for Saturday in Cairns is 2-6mm with no more than 4mm on any given day.

On another note, my only out would be Marshall for Ryder. They are struggling in the ruck so we won’t get dominated. Powell Pepper vrs Battle would be an interesting ruck contest 😂😂

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 8:27pm Powell Pepper vrs Battle would be an interesting ruck contest 😂😂
Marshall and Finlayson do the majority of the secondary ruckwork, rather than Powell Pepper.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 3:51pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 3:46pm If we rest Marshall because of the flight, we are effectively giving away premiership points Flr interatate cash grab games. What a terrible short sighted strategy - and recipe to ensure we won’t be successful!!
Hayes injury was far more short sighted. Lol planning both those injuries at once, absurd.
CQ,

You got me.

OK, I guess you are suggesting that Marshall would need to be rested, even if the game were at Marvel?

If the flight makes his thigh blow up to a basketball, then we don't send him up there, right?
And then we say, no more Cairns?

That is my point. Major handicap, agreeing to these games.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 8:33pm
CQ SAINT wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 3:51pm
shanegrambeau wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 3:46pm If we rest Marshall because of the flight, we are effectively giving away premiership points Flr interatate cash grab games. What a terrible short sighted strategy - and recipe to ensure we won’t be successful!!
Hayes injury was far more short sighted. Lol planning both those injuries at once, absurd.
CQ,

You got me.

OK, I guess you are suggesting that Marshall would need to be rested, even if the game were at Marvel?

If the flight makes his thigh blow up to a basketball, then we don't send him up there, right?
And then we say, no more Cairns?

That is my point. Major handicap, agreeing to these games.
Playing players when injured has done us no favours. Winning interstate and taking risks with injured players, is something finals threats plan on doing.

This is a game we can afford to lose, if we chose not to take a risk. But we won't lose.

I feel that its possible to pick Marshall and see how he goes. If the doc says don't go, he don't go. Its really that simple.

Since 2020, we go ok on the road and Marshall has been injured a fair bit.

Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

We will have played two in Cairns. North and Suns, Adelaide and Port have taken turns. Time for Lions, Pies, Essendon, Melbourne and Geelong to do some lifting. If playing in FNQ costs a side a final is it worth it. Time to reassess why games are even played there? Tourism wet dream?

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

Yorkeys wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 8:55pm We will have played two in Cairns. North and Suns, Adelaide and Port have taken turns. Time for Lions, Pies, Essendon, Melbourne and Geelong to do some lifting. If playing in FNQ costs a side a final is it worth it. Time to reassess why games are even played there? Tourism wet dream?
It's all about lucrative kickbacks paid by all levels of Government, Cairns City Council, Queensland Government and also grant funding from the Feds for the recovery for regional tourism program.

Free cash from the tax payer is why we are playing in Cairns.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote: Sat 23 Apr 2022 12:54am I lean towards dropping Wood too. For all the hype, I don’t see the performances when they matter. If Coops has a big one I hope they seriously consider it
I hear you but my memories of Wood so far this year are putting his body on the line and working his arse off when the game is in the balance. Earns his spot for mine.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 8:25pm
Vortex wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 5:42pm

Friday 60.8mm
Saturday 155.2mm
Sun 12.8mm
Monday 72.4
Today 78.2mm
Note that the dat on that site is till 9AM each day. So the rainfall "today" is for the 24 hours prior to 9AM.

Anyway while the forecast was for heavy rain recently, it is not for heavy rain on game day.

But yes in the tropics and at night. So will take a toll of players and the ball will be slippery. Conditions that tend to favour more experienced players, and players with good endurance.

Jones's physicality could be a real asset.
Could even be a game suited to Kent dare I say it, (apologies to Skeptic), and I certainly wouldn't be selecting Sharman this week, especially if both NWM and Windy are keeping their spots.

If there is any rain, players will be back to basics and just getting behind the ball and centre line running straight and crashing bodies for 120 minutes. Something our boys don't get much practice at under the roof so yeah, please let's go with experienced hard body endurance machines.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

I don't live in FNQ so must use BOM for my weather indicators, the coming week does not seem as wet as we may believe. No doubt it will be humid but hopefully no need for life jackets.

Port like to crash bodies, I think they'd prefer crashing into Heath's body rather than Campbell's. Ryder needs someone to ride shotgun & RoMa needs to shake this corkie.

Jones, if ready, for one of NWM or Windy.

Keep playing our best side, the best win is the next win regardless of what the fixture says.

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 9:13pm
Yorkeys wrote: Tue 26 Apr 2022 8:55pm We will have played two in Cairns. North and Suns, Adelaide and Port have taken turns. Time for Lions, Pies, Essendon, Melbourne and Geelong to do some lifting. If playing in FNQ costs a side a final is it worth it. Time to reassess why games are even played there? Tourism wet dream?
It's all about lucrative kickbacks paid by all levels of Government, Cairns City Council, Queensland Government and also grant funding from the Feds for the recovery for regional tourism program.

Free cash from the tax payer is why we are playing in Cairns.
Right...
When will we see Geelong playing there?

Exactly...
Never

4 premiership points are on the table, and we are thinking about NOT playing our star player (Marshall) cos the flight might be harmful.....What is the conclusion?

It can't be anything other than, ' Bend over St Kilda' ..cos you are about to get.....

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

I forgot that Jones and Campbell were out on Covid protocol. I hear the team are travelling up tomorrow? So not sure if they're out of quarantine by then.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

The Heath/Campbell thing isn't that Important. Paddy will ruck 70%.
Tom hasn't played in 2 weeks and followed COVID protocol's for 7 days of them, I think, he may be under done, he isn't much of a forward either.
Max has been first ruck for 2 weeks without Campbell and has had 48ho, 24d, 11m, 9tk, 8cl and kicked 4 goals without a miss.
He evened up the ruck and held his own forward in a good win against GCS and a draw a against an undefeated GWS including a big effort to come home in the last, this is significant form.
Keeping a 204cm, 19 yo ruckman/fwd out because you want to protect him from contact, in wet conditions, is pretty funny.

Vortex
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 27 Apr 2022 12:07am The Heath/Campbell thing isn't that Important. Paddy will ruck 70%.
Tom hasn't played in 2 weeks and followed COVID protocol's for 7 days of them, I think, he may be under done, he isn't much of a forward either.
Max has been first ruck for 2 weeks without Campbell and has had 48ho, 24d, 11m, 9tk, 8cl and kicked 4 goals without a miss.
He evened up the ruck and held his own forward in a good win against GCS and a draw a against an undefeated GWS including a big effort to come home in the last, this is significant form.
Keeping a 204cm, 19 yo ruckman/fwd out because you want to protect him from contact, in wet conditions, is pretty funny.
The Heath/Campbell thing is as funny as the insistence by some posters to drop 4 or 5 AFL quality players and bring in Sharman, Connoly, Owens, Peris, and another kid from the TAC Cup just because you can never play enough skinny inexperienced kids when you are in a position to play finals.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

The average score over the last six games in Cairns is 53.75, with a highest of just 74. It's going to be slog, wet or not.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Vortex wrote: Wed 27 Apr 2022 8:01am
CQ SAINT wrote: Wed 27 Apr 2022 12:07am The Heath/Campbell thing isn't that Important. Paddy will ruck 70%.
The Heath/Campbell thing is as funny as the insistence by some posters to drop 4 or 5 AFL quality players and bring in Sharman, Connoly, Owens, Peris, and another kid from the TAC Cup just because you can never play enough skinny inexperienced kids when you are in a position to play finals.
Yep. This always does my head in. And it tends to come from some of the most experienced posters on BF and SS.

And, when challenged, some of these fans of selecting anyone who hasn’t been in the first team lately, will even admit that they rarely if ever watch Sandy games.

Wood and Butler seem to be the current favoured targets for being replaced by some of the so-called “kids” (some of whom have now had several seasons at the club). Wood and Butler have played really hard and tough this year, making strong contributions to our team defence. I can’t see the likes of Connolly, Byrnes or Bytel playing such roles. Windhager for sure: he’s hard and tough ahead of his years, which is why he was elevated.

The only regular seconds players who have really impressed me this year are Heath and Peris. Neither look quite ready yet to my eyes, but I’m sure they do ok if given a go.

Bytel, Byrne, Connolly, Sharman, Owen, etc need to keep working on their games and on their physical hardness. If they find that dispiriting, then there are other careers.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Just harking back to the Richmond v Sandy game at the TB Oval. A game played in very wet conditions where they chose to leave Heath out and go with Campbell, who played an excellent game in conditions that were made for him.

The midfields this week will be pretty similar, I hope between Ryder & Campbell / Heath we can create an advantage, if Marshall is indeed ruled out.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

I see we’ve dropped to fifth on the ladder despite only one loss - behind Demons, Dockers, Lions and Swans.

Best available team please.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Falling to 5th was annoying but hopefully keeps things real for the boys on how tight the comp is.

Just keep winning.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

Billings and Zac are both confirmed now as coming back via the VFL this weekend. On that basis - I have a feeling it'll be just Ryder for Hayes. Marshall off an 8 day break may well see him good to go.

Go you red, black & white warriors
ace
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote: Wed 27 Apr 2022 1:15pm Billings and Zac are both confirmed now as coming back via the VFL this weekend. On that basis - I have a feeling it'll be just Ryder for Hayes. Marshall off an 8 day break may well see him good to go.
I note that Marshall is not listed as injured.
Not even as a "Test"
Jones to play at Sandy.

But then the club could be trying to mislead the enemy.
Last edited by ace on Wed 27 Apr 2022 2:21pm, edited 1 time in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
ace
Saintsational Legend

Game at 7:25PM Saturday
BOM Forecast
Partly cloudy. High chance of showers. Winds southeasterly 20 to 30 km/h becoming light during the evening.
Min 22 High 22, possible rainfall 2 to 6mm, chance of any rain 70%

So wet and windy but not a flood of 150mm / 6 inches in a day.
The ground would have to be soft and heavy.
Not going to be a pretty spectacle of the skills of the game.
Slog, slog slog.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA