BREAKING NEWS...and not good :-( X - ACL injury)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:tonight we sit 6 - 0 and the so called SS footy experts are jumping on our coach for team selections AFTER that fact?

Bizarre, weird lot caught in some ego warp..

X is a very talented footballer who the coach rates but obviously wanted more than a couple of good games in the magoos from him before he forced his way into a side thats been smashing teams - I can understand that.

As for bagging Eddy for getting a spot - Eddy busted his balls pre season HAS the running capacity to play the Lyon style AND the doggedness and tackling tenacity the coach obviously loves.......not that hard to see he would get a gig. Is he a better player than X? Nup. More talent? Nup.......but in saying that haven't we done the whole "gee saints are talented" to death?

I dont think Lyon cares for that - he thinks team.

other opinions are as valid as yours......still don't understand why eddy was picked in preference to x..and i formed that view after watching eddy's performance today....which wasn't up to scratch ...imhfo.......

eddy will make the grade....but at the moment he isn't even in the same league as x.......but then again x was a top 5 draft pick and eddy is off the rookie list so you woudn't expect him to be.....you seem to have forgotten that both missed a lot of training through injuries but x was flying with at least two bog in the magoos ...eddy wasn't playing.....he was on standby as an emergency....big mart is right...ross does play favourites...but i'm not really complaining...as that's his only fault......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote: still don't understand why eddy was picked in preference to x..and i formed that view after watching eddy's performance today....which wasn't up to scratch ...imhfo.......
Eddy today

11 kicks
7 handballs
4 Contested Possessions
10 Marks
1 Tackle
3 Inside 50's
2 Goal Assists
2 Clangers
78% Efficiency

Don't know what game you were watching today Stinger but I thought Eddy ran hard to space and presented well giving us an invaluable option between half forward and half back

good game by Eddy today[/u]

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
savatage
SS Life Member

gooner wrote:Just throwing this out there but who on this forum thought it a good idea to give Michael Gardiner another contract?
I did! Was arguing against people insisting that he was finished. I was actually getting attacked for not sharing the popular opinion...but then again Saintsational sure is a weird place...

With regards to X though...it's a difficult one...we all want him to succeed but CLEARLY it was no secret that season 2009 was his make or break year. Everyone from player to bootstudder would've know this....it really puts a spanner in the works.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Teflon wrote:tonight we sit 6 - 0 and the so called SS footy experts are jumping on our coach for team selections AFTER that fact?

Bizarre, weird lot caught in some ego warp..

X is a very talented footballer who the coach rates but obviously wanted more than a couple of good games in the magoos from him before he forced his way into a side thats been smashing teams - I can understand that.

As for bagging Eddy for getting a spot - Eddy busted his balls pre season HAS the running capacity to play the Lyon style AND the doggedness and tackling tenacity the coach obviously loves.......not that hard to see he would get a gig. Is he a better player than X? Nup. More talent? Nup.......but in saying that haven't we done the whole "gee saints are talented" to death?

I dont think Lyon cares for that - he thinks team.

other opinions are as valid as yours......still don't understand why eddy was picked in preference to x..and i formed that view after watching eddy's performance today....which wasn't up to scratch ...imhfo.......

eddy will make the grade....but at the moment he isn't even in the same league as x.......but then again x was a top 5 draft pick and eddy is off the rookie list so you woudn't expect him to be.....you seem to have forgotten that both missed a lot of training through injuries but x was flying with at least two bog in the magoos ...eddy wasn't playing.....he was on standby as an emergency....big mart is right...ross does play favourites...but i'm not really complaining...as that's his only fault......
Eddy was good today what is the problem with bagging this guy?

The amount of times he found space and got the footy made his opponent look stupid.

Sure hes not as talented as Clare - talent is useless if youi cant perform consistently and lets face some facts X (and Im a fan) simply hasnt been durable enough to.

No surprise the coach wanted to be certain that IF/WHEN he forced his way back in he was going to be able to stand up. He wont get that chance this year infortuately but IMHO he must be kept and bought back in next season.

“Yeah….nah””
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Eddy = awesome. He won't be dropped. Plus, Lyon has a poster of him hanging on his wall. He loves the little fella.

I see no reason to drop anybody after beating the Dogs. If the 22 today was good enough to beat the Dogs, why not the Pies? Let King (and anyone else) find fitness and form in the V.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:
gooner wrote:Just throwing this out there but who on this forum thought it a good idea to give Michael Gardiner another contract?
I did! Was arguing against people insisting that he was finished. I was actually getting attacked for not sharing the popular opinion...but then again Saintsational sure is a weird place...

With regards to X though...it's a difficult one...we all want him to succeed but CLEARLY it was no secret that season 2009 was his make or break year. Everyone from player to bootstudder would've know this....it really puts a spanner in the works.
Well there you go..

I though t that I was Gardie's only fan last year...and did I cop sh!t for it.....well that and for suppoting Lyon and in him wanting team our guys how to play football when the opposition had control of the ball.

And as for rookies...would never makea difference!!!!!

Interesting that injuries cruelled us in the past...but with rookie proved DEPTH we are not missinga beat this year.

Eddy being part of that Depth.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
To the top
SS Life Member

Not the only one to support Gardiner, SRS.

Have had him in my required player list throughout - when we went thru listing our optimum team, Gardiner was always in mine.

As was R. Clarke as a utility player.

As was Gilbert as Max's under study in a back pocket.

As was X. Clarke on the forward line.

Nothing has changed.

And I thought Gardiner was showing rapidly improving form last year, turning into the valuable player I expected, before the injury in the Sydney match.

Plus I contributed to a thread in the lead up to the finals in 2008 that King and Gardiner playing was essential to any St Kilda success.

The televised VFL game (last of the year) showed me why he was essential and that he was ready.

That said, and to open old chestnuts, Milne did not kick his 2 goals BUT he did contribute by presenting including up the ground, by being under Riewoldt and by harrassing defensively, although he does not cover the ground to mark up as quickly as Schnieder.

So just perhaps Milne is learning what he has to learn.

But I still see him as under pressure because you can not afford one weak link in the pressure cooker which is now AFL footy.

Look at Jones and the way the legs pump - it is not that he is quick it is that his legs really pump and it gets him to defensive positions putting pressure on. That is the template.

The other one under pressure is Baker because he was taken back and exposed twice on Sunday - costing us goals each time. But the coaching staff immediately reacted and changed the positioning getting Baker out of the defensive 6.

I would suggest he had some answering to do to Silvagni after being exposed the second time.

Again, will be under pressure because spirit and endeavour and the cameos that delivers are not enough.

A mid-field role is the only option for Baker, and where is he on the pecking order?

Mr X from the West
Club Player

To the top wrote:The other one under pressure is Baker because he was taken back and exposed twice on Sunday - costing us goals each time. But the coaching staff immediately reacted and changed the positioning getting Baker out of the defensive 6.

I would suggest he had some answering to do to Silvagni after being exposed the second time.

Again, will be under pressure because spirit and endeavour and the cameos that delivers are not enough.

A mid-field role is the only option for Baker, and where is he on the pecking order?
Not doubting anything you say, but my memory fades. How did Bakes get exposed and let through two goals? Both of them to Hill? Who was he on?

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Eagelton the first one; bumped Bakes off the line and ran in to kick the Doggies' first goal. Can't remember the second one.

* edit * The second one was Hill's first goal of the second half on the lead.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

All the best to X, wishing you well....

duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

Terrible luck for the x man, but these guys know the risks when they get on the park.

My completely unexpert medical opinion says X is an ideal candidate for that crazy 8 week knee surgery that sydney bloke had.
Otherwise his career could be in trouble.
Discuss.

I bought a shirt from Target once.
It had a hard tag on it too.

I know how Dal feels.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

duckduckduckgoose wrote:My completely unexpert medical opinion says X is an ideal candidate for that crazy 8 week knee surgery that sydney bloke had.
depends on the diagnosis and medical opinion, but he's not got a lot to lose. as you suggest his career hangs in the balance.

if it were me and the doctors said there was a chance it would work, i'd give it a shot.