The way contract offer withdrawn - Ball

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
Piss poor.

'Gooe' was going to play in Tassie.

He got injured.
Great idea to air it publicly then wasn't it?

BaysideSaint
Club Player

a fox is a poor man's dog.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Thinline wrote:
Piss poor.

'Gooe' was going to play in Tassie.

He got injured.
Great idea to air it publicly then wasn't it?
Air what, rubber man?

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
BaysideSaint
Club Player

:lol: "rubber man"

Milton66
SS Life Member

BaysideSaint wrote::lol: "rubber man"

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
mals saints

Dont get U people

I
This is my first post as I am sick of reading crap.
RL obviously doesnt rate luke ball as highly as he makes out. I would argu that considering the conditions of the grand final Ball should have played heaps more game time and as he had 22 posessions in 45% of game time he was arguably the highest possession winner per minutes of game time when you take this into account . The coaches obvioulsy stuffed up and giving ball extra game time may have been the difference.
Hence they either do not rate him or stuffed up which is ridiculous for supposed professionals. I did hear him say maybe they erred in not giving ball more game time. Great and obviously professionally well done in the biggest game of the year we cant get rotations right.
Also didnt rl come out gf night and say if you dont want to be part of going forward get out. ball has said he wants out then rl has said oh we rate him too highly to let him go for pick 25. So rl decides to let him go for nothing which is what will happn. Good deal for the saints. I think RL has a bit of explaining to do not lb who is at least honesh enough to tell it how it is.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dont get U people

mals saints wrote:I
RL obviously doesnt rate luke ball as highly as he makes out. I would argu that considering the conditions of the grand final Ball should have played heaps more game time and as he had 22 posessions in 45% of game time he was arguably the highest possession winner per minutes of game time when you take this into account . The coaches obvioulsy stuffed up and giving ball extra game time may have been the difference.
Hence they either do not rate him or stuffed up which is ridiculous for supposed professionals. I did hear him say maybe they erred in not giving ball more game time. Great and obviously professionally well done in the biggest game of the year we cant get rotations right.
Also didnt rl come out gf night and say if you dont want to be part of going forward get out. ball has said he wants out then rl has said oh we rate him too highly to let him go for pick 25. So rl decides to let him go for nothing which is what will happn. Good deal for the saints. I think RL has a bit of explaining to do not lb who is at least honesh enough to tell it how it is.
Welcome aboard Ray, enjoy the forum! 8-)

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

mals saints wrote:I
Careful man, you'll offend the little teenie boppers with stars in their eyes for Ross Lyon.

Daring to suggest he may have erred in any way, shape or form is considered criminal in these parts.

Milton66
SS Life Member

Ross Lyon is such a spunk!! Oooooh.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:Ross Lyon is such a spunk!! Oooooh.
Dont joke about it - it comes across that way most of the time.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

mals saints wrote: not lb who is at least honesh enough to tell it how it is.
Unfortunately lb isn't honesh enough to tell the rest of us. You must be very privileged.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Here's a tip, RF. Two columns. Things you like about Ross. Another one that lists the things you don't. Post your two lists. Maybe do something similar for GT while you're at it. Get it out there once and for all. It'd save a lot of time, trouble and angst.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Milton66
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:
Is my man-crush that obvious?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Here's a tip, RF. Two columns. Things you like about Ross. Another one that lists the things you don't. Post your two lists. Maybe do something similar for GT while you're at it. Get it out there once and for all. It'd save a lot of time, trouble and angst.
?

Here's a tip for you....

Allow people to discuss the footy without attempting to be a smart arse. You're not very good at it.

If you don't like something that someone writes, then you can either respond to it suggesting the reason you disagree with it, or you can ignore it.

It's actually very simple.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Yours' isn't as obvious as others'. You just like to argue for the fun of it.

Milton66
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
Yours' isn't as obvious as others'. You just like to argue for the fun of it.
Only with you Rdger... only with you. :D

ace
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:Very happy with how he said it, a strong comment. You never leave a contract open for 3 months, then have the player turn his nose up at it and when the player does not get what he wants, expect that contract to still be there. No having your cake etc etc.

Luke Ball now knows his value...Pick 25 & NO other offers other than being picked up in the Dimmeys bin by Melbourne. Sure he can put a high price on his head but only adds to the pressure on him and means Melbourne or Collingwood may end up paying a higher price down the track than a simple draft pick.

Strong comments by a strong man on behalf of a strong club, nice work Ross.
The player taken at pick 25 in the 2009 National Draft will get $57,300 plus $2,800 per match plus bonuses of $2650 at games 1, 6 & 11 during 2010.
That is a maximum for 25 games of $135,250.

That is what Collingwood thought Luke Ball was worth.

And that is what he is entitled to be paid if he goes into the National Draft.
He can nominate more if he goes into the Pre Season Draft.
Or he can sign a new contract with St Kilda once they have finished doing their salary cap sums.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Thinline wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
?

Here's a tip for you....

Allow people to discuss the footy without attempting to be a smart arse. You're not very good at it.

If you don't like something that someone writes, then you can either respond to it suggesting the reason you disagree with it, or you can ignore it.

It's actually very simple.
Rodger, Rodger, Rodger...

How blindly you clutch...

My suggestion was a valid one.

Do you now deny that coaches past and present are you personal bugbear?

Seems just about everything you involve yourself in comes back to the adequacies/foibles of RL or GT.

Why not make your true and definitive feelings known rather than latch on like a food fussy pilot fish to other people's discussions?

As for smartarsery... You must be guessing and not reading. This thread is a perfect example. You wrote, I disagreed with good reason.

saintnick12
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:

I think making Max get kitted up and warm up in the rooms on camera in some amatuer ruse to kid the viewers at home that he playing in the Prelim wasn't in great taste, and wasn't overly fair on Max.

Just one exmaple.

Max got kitted up and warmed up in that final because he was an emergency. This is the usual practice. As is the fact that the camera is in the room...its just they don't usually show it to us cos its not usually interesting as it was when it was Max. Made for good TV. Something for them to talk about.
If you look closely at the start of the Grand final coverage, you'll see that Geary was completely ready and warmed up. They had doubts on Zac right up until they ran out and Geary would have replaced him. Geary ran out with them. So have they treated him badly too??? If someone gets injured in the warm up the emergency has to be ready to take their place. Someone (I think it might have been Birss) ran out last year and did the actual final onfield warm up as they didn't decide until the last minute whether Lenny was going to be able to play.

Max, Goose and Ball would be three of my favourite 6 players, but years as a great player does not give you a God given right to play in any game. Given the uproar about Luke's playing time, imagine the squealing if he hadn't played at all.

And regarding the comments on Goose playing in Tassie - there was a lot of talk regarding this at the time. Of course he wasn't going to be announced until the selctions were done, but it was common knowledge at the time that he was going to be selected in the game....almost a freebie. They were pretty much playing anyone who was in contention that week. If you couldn't get a game that week, then you would be struggling. While I was hoping that he would get selected at some point, I understand why he wasn't. I just felt sorry that the afl record named him as playing his 100th game every week....

ace
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote:I think the contract on the table since June would have to be cancelled. The salary cap levels would need to be re-worked as Lovett and Peake has come on and other changes like X and Max gone, as well as changes to the veteran players.
They couldn't risk that the previous conrtract was still within the salary cap, and new negotiations would be needed to give Luke a new offer.
Sadly the maximum IQ found in the media is not able to understand something as complex as this. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

saintnick12 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

I think making Max get kitted up and warm up in the rooms on camera in some amatuer ruse to kid the viewers at home that he playing in the Prelim wasn't in great taste, and wasn't overly fair on Max.

Just one exmaple.

Max got kitted up and warmed up in that final because he was an emergency. This is the usual practice. As is the fact that the camera is in the room...its just they don't usually show it to us cos its not usually interesting as it was when it was Max. Made for good TV. Something for them to talk about.
If you look closely at the start of the Grand final coverage, you'll see that Geary was completely ready and warmed up. They had doubts on Zac right up until they ran out and Geary would have replaced him. Geary ran out with them. So have they treated him badly too??? If someone gets injured in the warm up the emergency has to be ready to take their place. Someone (I think it might have been Birss) ran out last year and did the actual final onfield warm up as they didn't decide until the last minute whether Lenny was going to be able to play.

Max, Goose and Ball would be three of my favourite 6 players, but years as a great player does not give you a God given right to play in any game. Given the uproar about Luke's playing time, imagine the squealing if he hadn't played at all.

And regarding the comments on Goose playing in Tassie - there was a lot of talk regarding this at the time. Of course he wasn't going to be announced until the selctions were done, but it was common knowledge at the time that he was going to be selected in the game....almost a freebie. They were pretty much playing anyone who was in contention that week. If you couldn't get a game that week, then you would be struggling. While I was hoping that he would get selected at some point, I understand why he wasn't. I just felt sorry that the afl record named him as playing his 100th game every week....
Yep x 100.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
Rodger, Rodger, Rodger...

How blindly you clutch...

My suggestion was a valid one.

Do you now deny that coaches past and present are you personal bugbear?
Um yes.

It's not a personal bugbear at all. I've been saying for years that coaches are overrated by the footy public and the media,
Thinline wrote: Seems just about everything you involve yourself in comes back to the adequacies/foibles of RL or GT.
'Seems'? Or 'is'?
Thinline wrote: Why not make your true and definitive feelings known rather than latch on like a food fussy pilot fish to other people's discussions?
I've made my thoughts on coaches, players and pretty much everything incredibly clear over the years.

Oddly, only a select few seem to see something in my posts that don't exist. The same select few over, and over again.
Thinline wrote: As for smartarsery... You must be guessing and not reading. This thread is a perfect example. You wrote, I disagreed with good reason.
And you should have left it that. But you didn't.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Not sure what much of that meant Rodge but maybe you feel better for typing it. If so, bravo, carry on.

I'm still waiting to hear some valid reasons as to why it is you think Ball, Goose and Max were treated poorly.

You know. So we can discuss. In the manner you like.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:It appears to me that the "Contract Offer" was withdrawn AFTER Ross and other St Kilda officials spoke to Luke at Etihad Stadium on Friday (around noon).

We do know that meeting lasted around 20 minutes but we don't know what was said. There must have been something that triggered this and we will probably NEVER know. Time to move on !!
In his interview just after 2PM Friday Ross Lyon said that the 3 year contract was still on the table.
Then he realised he had made a mistake and said it was withdrawn but a new offer would be made.
The contract offer was clearly only withdrawn because of salary cap issues.
But then when did the media tell the whole truth when a half truth makes a better story.

We don't know what Luke said to the club on Friday.
It may easily have been to say "it is only Collingwood, don't trade me elsewhere if a deal can't be done".
I only want to play for premiership contenders missing a stoppage specialist.
Not unreasonable as he could see that Collingwood was likely to leave him on the shelf due to their not being willing to trade players and they had already given away their only draft pick of value.