Riewoldt has to be Joking

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

noreason41
Club Player

Iceman234 wrote:Statistically he is having his worst year since 2003...
Honestly, i don't remember the last time i saw someone kick it lace out straight to Riewoldt's chest.

Remember when Harvey used to kick it to him?

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

He used to take overhead marks like they were going out of style, though and he would struggle to take an overhead mark to save his life at the moment.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Normally Im dead against abuse on here..but..if youre gonna call a 5 time B&F winner and one the greatest players to ever pull on a Saints jumper a "f***ing disgrace to our club" then Im afraid its bets off as far as Im concerned

..and as for his comrade in arms bobmurray....cant remember the last time he said anything postive about the Club. Just cruises around the negative threads and adds his 5c worth of agreement

Theres your spuds. right there

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

You just gotta love arm chair experts.....

Reading this thread was 5 minutes of my life I am never going to get back.

Reading this forum in general is like that these days. Seems a lot on here are thrilled we are losing as it gives you something to whinge and biatch about.

Seriously, calm down and step away from the ledge..... :P

Fortius Quo Fidelius
noreason41
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:He used to take overhead marks like they were going out of style, though and he would struggle to take an overhead mark to save his life at the moment.
Just found out Roo's kicked more behinds then goals this season.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

noreason41 wrote:Just found out Roo's kicked more behinds then goals this season.
Then this will really blow your mind - he hasn't.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

vacuous space wrote:
noreason41 wrote:Just found out Roo's kicked more behinds then goals this season.
Then this will really blow your mind - he hasn't.
If that's the case that wouldn't take into account all the shanked kicks that went out on the full, or went so far off to the side that they didn't reach either the point, or boundard line.

Buckets
SS Life Member

16.16 for the year and a few OOF. Not the greatest of returns for the big man.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Love him to bits, but going at about 25% at the moment.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

karnaby
Club Player

I'm not too concerned about Roo's game tonight. Lots of other things contribute - our passing to him, the role he has to play, umpires allowing him to be man-handled. The bloke really has earnt the right to be down on form, and that is fairly representative of the whole team this year anyway.

I do have a big issue with him not kicking goals that I think he should get. At it's simplest level I just can't comprehend a bloke getting paid something near $1,000,000 per year to run around playing sport and not being able to convert at a level to justify the pay. There is also the issue of the deflating effect that I presume it must have on the team when they work their backsides off to get a chance only to see their leader frequently fail to convert 'easy' opportunities such as tonight's first shot on goal.

I really hope that he can come back after the bye and show that he's over the yips. We certainly need it.

It's a shame ignorance isn't painful
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

evertonfc wrote:Love him to bits, but going at about 25% at the moment.
Yeah, I do agree. He is nowhere near capacity. Would love to know whether it is an injury or whether it is confidence? Something is not right.

I really feel for him at the moment. Saw the Matthew Lloyd interview during the week and he looked so tense and guarded at the beginning. He seem to relax when he got into the interview, but he was so uptight at the beginning. The weight he seems to be carrying on his shoulders at the moment is incredible. I certainly would not want to walk a mile in his shoes right now!
Last edited by saint75 on Sun 19 Jun 2011 2:40am, edited 1 time in total.

Fortius Quo Fidelius
AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

karnaby wrote:There is also the issue of the deflating effect that I presume it must have on the team when they work their backsides off to get a chance only to see their leader frequently fail to convert 'easy' opportunities such as tonight's first shot on goal.
Agree wholeheartedly, which is one of the reasons I've been suggesting that he's probably no longer the best option to captain the club anymore (if he ever really was- Lenny was probably always the better option, which would have just allowed Roo to play and kick ass and lead by example anyway).
Not only is it deflating to us, but I believe it also lifts the opposition and those supporting them, as anyone who was at the ground and heard the jeers reverberating around the MCG, when he missed that set shot against Collingwood a couple of weeks ago, would know.
It deflates us and lifts them. They sense our weakness and go for our jugular. Not ideal.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
jonesy wrote:He's the one they should be talking about,not BJ
Yeah he should be seriously ripped into the the Sandy team and left there. What a farking discrace he has become for this club. The most over priced and overrated player of all time.
You would be one of the biggest, p!ss poor frauds ever - constantly bagging players.... You just wait until they lose and bait people.

Where have you been, weak ponce. I would ban you from these boards - look what you've started - you get off on posters having a row over your crapola :oops:
Can you back that up with statistics? No you can't. Now go dry your eyes princess.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

I thought you were going to bed about 6 hours ago?

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:
Yeah he should be seriously ripped into the the Sandy team and left there. What a farking discrace he has become for this club. The most over priced and overrated player of all time.
Why don't you just F*** off and die you disgraceful piece of excrement.

noreason41
Club Player

BringBackMadDog wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:
Why don't you just F*** off and die you disgraceful piece of excrement.
+1

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Some crap in this thread.

He is having a crap year by any standard. The delivery to him has been woeful however, he doesn't seem to be marking, running or kicking the way we have come to expect. He has set some high standards.

His fitness loos off. Wonder if there was some after effects from the injury last year.??

Also - you can say what you like - the off field stuff has impacted 2 players the most. Roo and Gilbert. Not the complete story but a factor no doubt.

While he does need to lift he has enough credits in the bank to get my support through this patch.

saintnick12
Club Player

fingers wrote:Some crap in this thread.

He is having a crap year by any standard. The delivery to him has been woeful however, he doesn't seem to be marking, running or kicking the way we have come to expect. He has set some high standards.

His fitness loos off. Wonder if there was some after effects from the injury last year.??

Also - you can say what you like - the off field stuff has impacted 2 players the most. Roo and Gilbert. Not the complete story but a factor no doubt.

While he does need to lift he has enough credits in the bank to get my support through this patch.
Well said!!

Some of the garbage in this thread is beyond belief.

I love Nick as much as anyone and I'm not blind - I can see he is really struggling. But he certainly has enough credits in the bank not be be called a disgrace to the club. I cannot understand how anyone could think a five time best and fairest winner was that. People have short memories. He played brilliantly in both finals in 2009 before behind held on the big day. And the way he got himself back last year and his first two finals was nothing short of amazing. I actually think was ok in the first GF. Four shots at goal from around 50mtrs out and he kicks 2.2, plus the kick in hope around the corner in the last qtr that was touched right on the line by Maxwell - needed to do better on the day for us to win but wasn't terrible. I think people colour his performance in the drawn GF by how bad the second one was and having little influence the year before. Replay GF he was not good but he wan't alone that day. He is one of the best players we have ever had and is going though a lean patch - but I don't understand why this has brought out as much vitriol as it has. Jesus...if our own disrespect our leader to such an extent, how can we expect fans of other clubs to show him any respect.

And to all those who think he should be stripped of the captaincy. I still fail to see how this solves the problem. If the suggestions of those who wanted this done over the summer had been acted upon, do you really think giving BJ the captaincy would have been good for him. BJ is only now coming out of a pretty bad form slump himself. not sure how the captaincy would have helped that situation.
I do think BJ will be captain at some stage and I'm not against the idea of co-captains from next year, or Roo handing over to BJ maybe after the end of next year. I think BJ has made it clear he wants to be captain and it might just be enough to keep him at the club. Roo and BJ are a big part of the heart and soul of this club. We cannot afford to lose either of them.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Read the first and last page on this thread. Some of you people are seriously a disgrace. No wonder I think we will struggle for support in the next few years if some of you are used as yardsticks. How is your memory? Do you suffer from alzheimer's? Roooy gives his all for this club. Maybe a few of you should just piss off.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Alas I feel the old St K trait of making every excuse under the sun for failure is creeping back in again.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Alas I feel the old St K trait of making every excuse under the sun for failure is creeping back in again.
The excuse is simple. It is Rooy's fault. Funny but I think sticking up for Rooy isnt looking for an excuse. Blaming Rooy is though.

deadman walking
Club Player

maybe he can't play in the same team with Gilbert or he needs a change of coach or a change of club or he needs a holiday to clear his head from his off field problems

mullet
Saintsational Legend

I honestly believe his body isnt right. He used to be able to really stretch to take an overhead mark cos we havent always delivered it perfectly to him. However that stretch just isnt there. He also doesnt seem to bend down to get the ball, which makes me wonder about his hammy injury.

Lets face it , world record pace to get back last season and then basically straight into finals footy. And he hurt his knee during the finals and had an op on that as well during the off season.

Perhaps he feels the pressure without Lenny there, whereas Lenny didnt feel the pressure without Rooey there last year. This doesnt make one better than the other, just different.
Perhaps Rooey overthinks things and takes too much on himself as he thinks this is what a captain must do.

But if he isnt right I think he needs to miss a couple of games. but he probably feels he is letting his team down if he does this. We all know how he hates missing games. But he needs to know it doesnt matter cos we aint gunna make the 8, so get your body right Rooey and ease up on yourself.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
spert wrote:Alas I feel the old St K trait of making every excuse under the sun for failure is creeping back in again.
The excuse is simple. It is Rooy's fault. Funny but I think sticking up for Rooy isnt looking for an excuse. Blaming Rooy is though.
I'm not just pointing the finger at Roo for last night’s loss. There were sub AFL performances from other highly paid players also. It’s fair enough you put in the odd bad game but when you get to the halfway mark of a season and your captain who is one of the highest paid players in the competition is not even in the top 50 players of the comp then surely he is not above criticism.

I suppose 2012 will be Riewoldt’s opportunity for redemption because expecting anything else other than average from him in 2011 is all we will get.

totallyfrank
Club Player

I'd like to see a change next year, he's been great for us but that era is over, time for a change of guard. Seems like he has the weight of the world on his shoulders atm.

If you aim to fail and succeed, what have you done?