The old days at Saintsational

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:stinger I can remember the barney I had with you over Spider............ I called him a cancer in the club and should be got rid of. You gobbled me up and spat me out in lots of little pieces. Though I did take on the sentiments behind what you had said. I might have been ahead of the mob in calling for Spider to be out of the club, but I wasn't showing much loyalty to a player whilst he was still playing for us.

It all happened the year one of those Scott twins threw Lenny into the fence & broke his arm/wrist. Spider was reported the same match. To all intents the club were not jumping up and down about Lenny's treatment as it appeared they didn't want to upset Spider's appearance at the tribunal. Or so I thought

I had steam coming out of my ears, after a few days. I sent and e-mail to GT, telling him how disappointed I was that the club was showing no respect for Lenny by not going in to bat for him and I wouldn't blame Lenny if he didn't re-sign when his contract was finished. I also said to him Spider was a cancer in the club....gee it's embarassing now that I come to think of it. :oops: GT e-mailed me the following day. He outlined all the behind the scenes efforts the club had gone to on Lenny's behalf, but told me it wasn't for SS site info. And said on the other matter I raised, things would work their way out and I might be pleased with the outcome. I knew then Spider would be gone at the end of the season.

So then I tried getting to be more friendly with you stinger................ i didn't want to be chewed up by you again. :wink: :wink:

i've mellowed...and you were right about spider......it was just in those days i didn't bag current saints players..rix was an exception but he wasn't a footballer's youknowwhat afaiwc...spider was the second best ruckman to don the saints colours.....lost me over the years though by poor efforts and that raffle kerfuffle

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Harvey desciple? - didnt he turn into a journo?

no wonder he went awol...
Still lurks around here at times !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
Verdun66 wrote: ...and where's Firthy gone?
He's sending them down at Wanneroo Bowling Club............. El Presidento I hear...................... and no doubt he's still putting them down, the frothy ones :lol:

Actually bumped into him at the Saints match at Subi this year........... he still looks at site, but rarely posts which is sad........ he always had a quirky point to make.
And, he's a bloody good bloke !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
Teflon wrote:Harvey desciple? - didnt he turn into a journo?

no wonder he went awol...
Still lurks around here at times !!
Using his wife's account :P

They walk amongst us...

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend
Location: Kicked out of the Coffee Shop, Settlement Pub, Cranbourne

Eastern wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
matrix wrote:barks...rave on for 20 pages??
serious?? :shock:

friggin no way!
that woulda been great to see.

8-)
"Is Grant Thomas a sacred cow?" is an all time classic SS thread. Went at least twenty pages.
The "Sacred Cow" thread was about barks4eva and all those who wanted him BANNED from the forum after yet another lengthy rant !!
Some silly bugger started that thread..... I think his name was Bubba.

Australia...... Live it like we stole it....... Because we did.
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Been around since about 98 I think....Remember logging on to Saintsational, between my wife's contractions with our first child in 2000....not a popular move.......remember some very good calls from Satchmo in the early days, some of his contemplative posts were very funny.

Also, seem to remember Stinger being angrier in the old days, has mellowed with age, like most of us...

Nee!
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
Eastern wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

friggin no way!

8-)
"Is Grant Thomas a sacred cow?" is an all time classic SS thread. Went at least twenty pages.
The "Sacred Cow" thread was about barks4eva and all those who wanted him BANNED from the forum after yet another lengthy rant !!
What ever happened to Bubba....and his mate crannypete??

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I also remember someone with a wrestlers name.....who painted himself as a monster and threatened to whack a few blokes

Stone Cold or something....

He had a massive issue with one poster....cant remember who..

I always thought his words were about as real as the other sport he followed....

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I also remember someone with a wrestlers name.....who painted himself as a monster and threatened to whack a few blokes

Stone Cold or something....

He had a massive issue with one poster....cant remember who..

I always thought his words were about as real as the other sport he followed....
I also remember marto before he became quite so big.

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:
Eastern wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

friggin no way!

8-)
What ever happened to Bubba....and his mate crannypete??
Dunno about Crannypete... last I heard of him he was blogging for the HeraldSun and fell foul of the laws of defamation.

Without's Pete's guidance, Bubba got evicted from his place behind Kelly's pub. It was then knocked down and an Aldi supermarket put in its place. He worked sometime there as a stock filler, until they found out that the stock was filling his backpack. His next job was at the place where girls in bikini's hand wash your car, but even though he filled the top half of the bikini admirably, suspicious movements in the bottom half saw him found out and sacked.

At our last meeting he was talking about buying a wetsuit and heading down to Phillip Island for a job as a stunt double for a elephant seal.

I haven't heard further, so perhaps if a SS member goes down to the Nobbies soon they could ask after him.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
loris wrote:
He's sending them down at Wanneroo Bowling Club............. El Presidento I hear...................... and no doubt he's still putting them down, the frothy ones :lol:

Actually bumped into him at the Saints match at Subi this year........... he still looks at site, but rarely posts which is sad........ he always had a quirky point to make.
Yes Eastern.................. one of natures gentlemen. Old Bendigo boy.

One thing he could not tolerate (like stinger) were people bad mouthing current St Kilda players. He would listen to constructive criticism of not up to standard efforts by Saints players on the field; however, he would arc up when players had their characters assailed by some of the lily livered cyber wimps on this site. Then he would come in with his quick wit and repartee and make said posters look a bit stooooopid.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Marto, StMart, BigMart....yes, obviously the same person....the BIG reference comes from a few cricket mates....who were taking the piss ..because I always stated that GOOD players step up in BIG games....and in BIG moments...

I am by NO means big.... in any area..... except of course my EGO :wink:

had to swap names after forgetting my password after a self imposed lay off and also when the place crashed and I then created a new name

GrumpyOne
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Marto, StMart, BigMart....yes, obviously the same person....the BIG reference comes from a few cricket mates....who were taking the piss ..because I always stated that GOOD players step up in BIG games....and in BIG moments...

I am by NO means big.... in any area..... except of course my EGO :wink:

had to swap names after forgetting my password after a self imposed lay off and also when the place crashed and I then created a new name
Obviously working your way up to SupaMart. :wink:

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
Eastern wrote:
loris wrote:

One thing he could not tolerate (like stinger) were people bad mouthing current St Kilda players. He would listen to constructive criticism of not up to standard efforts by Saints players on the field; however, he would arc up when players had their characters assailed by some of the lily livered cyber wimps on this site. Then he would come in with his quick wit and repartee and make said posters look a bit stooooopid.
Eaglehawk boy Loris, Eaglehawk. Calling him a Bendigo boy is an insult (people from Eaglehawk think Bendigo is a suburb of Eaglehawk) :wink: !!

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Can I just say that as a relative newbie (no I have not previously posted under another nic), and as an enthusiastic supporter of this site, that it is an absolute pleasure reading this thread about the olden days.

Keep it going :)

stinger
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:Been around since about 98 I think....Remember logging on to Saintsational, between my wife's contractions with our first child in 2000....not a popular move.......remember some very good calls from Satchmo in the early days, some of his contemplative posts were very funny.

Also, seem to remember Stinger being angrier in the old days, has mellowed with age, like most of us...
these days i tend to just ignore the more aggressive posters.....can't swear that i always will...but for the time being it suits me to do so......i was starting to feel that all the argy bargy was no longer done in jest..and that it was contributing to dragging the forum into a place no-one was really enjoying.....and i wasn't helping things....anyway ss means something to me and i wasn't going to be part of the reason for it's downfall.....

loris
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:Can I just say that as a relative newbie (no I have not previously posted under another nic), and as an enthusiastic supporter of this site, that it is an absolute pleasure reading this thread about the olden days.

And I thought you may have morphed from Holly Valance............ and all the time it was SENsational. At least I was correct that Doc Hollywood morphed into Holly Valance. So I have squared the ledger.

loris
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
Sicko Boy,
I used to dislike Sicko Boy intensly...............mysoginist twerp he was. I got to the stage I would not read a post he put on the site.

Then :shock: :shock: at a Western Saints get together he introduced himself to me. Delightful young man, I was totally gob smacked that this personable charming bloke could be "Sicko Boy".

He also used to post under the name of "Boonie", I used to love Boonie's posts and would devour every word of them. But to think Boonie and Sicko Boy were one and the same was hard for me to get my mind around. :? :? :?

Forget the last name he used to post under. Never see him now at any of our pub get togethers to watch the matches................ Boonie, Sicko Boy are you still in WA and lurking on this site???????????????

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
loris wrote:
Eastern wrote:
loris wrote:

Eaglehawk boy Loris, Eaglehawk. Calling him a Bendigo boy is an insult (people from Eaglehawk think Bendigo is a suburb of Eaglehawk) :wink: !!
My family come from Eaglehawk also. Lovely place. Goldminers.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:Can I just say that as a relative newbie (no I have not previously posted under another nic), and as an enthusiastic supporter of this site, that it is an absolute pleasure reading this thread about the olden days.

And I thought you may have morphed from Holly Valance............ and all the time it was SENsational. At least I was correct that Doc Hollywood morphed into Holly Valance. So I have squared the ledger.
I no longer need to hide, hence SENsaintsational being the longest time I have held a nickname on here.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:I actually have a theory on why the forum turned feral.

In the early days of the forum Tim Watson had just taken over and to be honest we were pretty much all of a like mind - coming off heartbreaking defeat in 97 and a rollercoaster dud of a year in 98. What then transpired over the next 2 years was almost a return to the 70s and 80s mentality where we all had to stick together and stay true even in the bad times.

With the Malcolm Blight blow up - we were back to square one.

When GT came along slowly but surely he raised our expectations and for the first time we were saying it was seen as premierships and even 2nd was failure. The higher the expectation became, the more individual players were targeted for criticism and the more arguments started to generate and quickly turn personal.

It was during the 2005/6/7 era that this degeneration of respect for other posters (their opinions and their personal feelings) accelerated that there soon became the absolute need for unofficial and then official moderation and rules. It was the development in that era of an expectation of success that generated bitter disappointment and plain bitterness as fans became unable to cope with failure and lashed out at coach, players and other fans as their coping mechanism.

Can you believe that pre that era - there were no forum rules, there were no moderators, disputes were self mostly moderated or diffused with humour.

Bottomline is I think getting so close to the success that we all so crave, actually ignited a passion that helped destroy a comradery built from decades of coping with failure which was replaced with coping with being so close to success year after year and yet still failing by lashing out.
Smack bang on.

The night your organised at the Caulfield Chinese restaurant back in 2003 was testament to how different this place was - we even had John Beverage come along and give his two cents worth.

This forum was a very different place.

Sadly, so much has changed.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

loris wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:
Sicko Boy,
I used to dislike Sicko Boy intensly...............mysoginist twerp he was. I got to the stage I would not read a post he put on the site.

Then :shock: :shock: at a Western Saints get together he introduced himself to me. Delightful young man, I was totally gob smacked that this personable charming bloke could be "Sicko Boy".

He also used to post under the name of "Boonie", I used to love Boonie's posts and would devour every word of them. But to think Boonie and Sicko Boy were one and the same was hard for me to get my mind around. :?
Yes from memory Sicko Boy was not a popular poster :P Don't remember Boonie at all.
There are quite a few posters whose internet persona is different to their real life character, when you meet/see them :shock:

Hold your ground :shock:
stinger
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
loris wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:
Sicko Boy,

He also used to post under the name of "Boonie", I used to love Boonie's posts and would devour every word of them. But to think Boonie and Sicko Boy were one and the same was hard for me to get my mind around. :?
Yes from memory Sicko Boy was not a popular poster :P Don't remember Boonie at all.
There are quite a few posters whose internet persona is different to their real life character, when you meet/see them :shock:

yep.........i'm a much bigger prick in the real world.....not a softy like i appear on here...... :wink: :twisted: :evil:

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Stinger wrote .....

" yep.........i'm a much bigger prick in the real world.....not a softy like i appear on here...... :wink: :twisted: "

8-) :wink:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:
loris wrote:
MCG-Unit wrote:
Sicko Boy,

yep.........i'm a much bigger prick in the real world.....not a softy like i appear on here...... :wink: :twisted: :evil:
I was actually thinking of a couple of people who I've seen at the footy, and they behave quite differently in here.......

Don't think I've met you -> that I know of.

Hold your ground :shock: