Sebastian Ross

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sasaint
Club Player

stinger wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:I will remain interested to see when those who provide the summary knocks on young kiddies drafted start to recognise this is not 1995, or even 2005.
Clubs are now making their draft selections on a very different basis. It is but a few years ago when selections were all about athletes. Not now. Now it's about rounded footballers who have a package a club can work to develop. The ability to win the contested pill, carry the ball, foot skills and a sound character (the Fev clause, perhaps?) are all now paramount. No longer is it "pick 'em and play 'em" and hope for the best.
That's why we are committing so much resource to the idea of a development academy. It's sensible, forward thinking and entirely worthy.
We're heading in the right direction and the great mass of people I know who are rusted on to this club are rapt - me included. They could have taken the easy out and excused themselves on the basis of Lyon's slick treachery. But, no, we just got on with it and changed our resource emphasis (and, please, no-one countenance a suggestion of the "we're broke" mob, because to do so shows a fundamental lack of appreciation of what the business is, what the numbers mean, what's it's there to achieve and what we need to do to maximise our prospects).
Ticks to all at the helm who have devised and are executing a sound strategy. We're on the right track.
great post
+1 8-)

Patience young grasshopper
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully not 2008 or 2009 as we went BUST in both of those drafts

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

sasaint wrote:
stinger wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:I will remain interested to see when those who provide the summary knocks on young kiddies drafted start to recognise this is not 1995, or even 2005.
Clubs are now making their draft selections on a very different basis. It is but a few years ago when selections were all about athletes. Not now. Now it's about rounded footballers who have a package a club can work to develop. The ability to win the contested pill, carry the ball, foot skills and a sound character (the Fev clause, perhaps?) are all now paramount. No longer is it "pick 'em and play 'em" and hope for the best.
That's why we are committing so much resource to the idea of a development academy. It's sensible, forward thinking and entirely worthy.
We're heading in the right direction and the great mass of people I know who are rusted on to this club are rapt - me included. They could have taken the easy out and excused themselves on the basis of Lyon's slick treachery. But, no, we just got on with it and changed our resource emphasis (and, please, no-one countenance a suggestion of the "we're broke" mob, because to do so shows a fundamental lack of appreciation of what the business is, what the numbers mean, what's it's there to achieve and what we need to do to maximise our prospects).
Ticks to all at the helm who have devised and are executing a sound strategy. We're on the right track.
great post
+1 8-)
+2

'Rusted on to this club'......love it.

There's nothing that can budge me...good or bad. Like to win though!