Ross Lyon on The Couch this Monday

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

Re: Ross Lyon on The Couch this Monday

Ross just ripped my heart out and I went numb when they asked him about the worst of the 3 grand finals and he said 2009 when at half time we had 36 inside 50s to 15 and blokes were missing from the goal square! Rips my bloody heart out remembering that! That was our bloody premiership! That's f@rked!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
StGoddard18
Club Player

R. Harvey 3 votes! wrote:Ross just ripped my heart out and I went numb when they asked him about the worst of the 3 grand finals and he said 2009 when at half time we had 36 inside 50s to 15 and blokes were missing from the goal square! Rips my bloody heart out remembering that! That was our bloody premiership! That's f@rked!
It really hurts. When we finally win the flag (hopefully this year) it will be the grandest day of all time.

Follow me on Twitter @Prestie18
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Bet he forgot to mention his blunder in leaving Ball on the pine for most of second half after he was nearly BOG to half time.
Much easier to blame others than look in the mirror!

Riewoldt and Goddard to live up to their reputations ,Clarke and Ray to defy theirs in 2012!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:Bet he forgot to mention his blunder in leaving Ball on the pine for most of second half after he was nearly BOG to half time.
Luke Ball was in our best players but he was not nearly BOG until half time of the 2009 GF. The 2009 Luke Ball is a very different player to the Luke Ball of 2010-2012.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
vacuous space
SS Life Member

whiskers3614 wrote:Bet he forgot to mention his blunder in leaving Ball on the pine for most of second half after he was nearly BOG to half time.
We had the midfield ascendancy in that game. Not sure how playing Ball more would have fixed a problem that wasn't there. Missing crucial shots on goal was the reason we lost that game.

The only Ball-related blunder Lyon made was not taking the draft pick.

Lyon handled himself well on the couch tonight.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

so what did Lyon have to say?

“Yeah….nah””
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Sheehan said he was offered less money on his next contract. Lyon was suprised he knew that

Healy asked him if he had a message for the saints fans
He said he'd like to thank us for embracing him and the membership growing from 30 to 42k when he was there.

Said Freo spoke to him 6 weeks before seasons end,he said he didnt want to discuss it then,to speak to him at seasons end

Bring back the Lockett era
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
We had the midfield ascendancy in that game. Not sure how playing Ball more would have fixed a problem that wasn't there. Missing crucial shots on goal was the reason we lost that game.

The only Ball-related blunder Lyon made was not taking the draft pick.

Lyon handled himself well on the couch tonight.
I remember working out at the time, if he'd played him for a couple more bursts as he owned after the game, it would have only upped his TOG to about 51% anyways.

Much to difficult to assess if Luke would done anything to impact the result.

Poor kicking was a major part of the story, though inside 50's and actual scoring opportunities can be very different things....

Curious though, how many of those 36 entries were Bakes or Blakey? :wink:

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:so what did Lyon have to say?
My memory isn't the greatest, but I'll do my best at a recap:

They started out asking a few Freo related questions. He was asked about defensive football and the failure to score much in the WC-Freo game. He said they were trying to get better at all three phases.

Lyon was asked when Freo first made contact. He said that it was all done very quickly at the end of the year. Later on he said that he was asked before the end of the season whether there was an 'out' in his contract, but no formal offer was made then.

Healy asked what had happened between May (when the HS ran an article that seemed RL would stay long-term) and the time he left. Lyon didn't really have a specific answer for that. He was asked whether Pelchen had been a reason to leave and Lyon denied it. He said he had encouraged the board to seek out a full-time list manager. Not specifically Pelchen, but he had no problem with the choice. He indicated that he would have liked more spent on the football department - the we were 14th or something like that.

Sheahan did say that the board had offered him a pay cut. He did bristle at that one. Said it wasn't on public record. Personally, as a Saints supporter, I'd be kind of shocked if that was their starting point. Roos asked him if they'd offered the contract in May that they did before he left, whether he'd be in a Saints jumper. Lyon refused to speculate, but I bring it up because Roos asked, and I do wonder if off-camera Roos has been given that impression.

Roos also asked him which of the GFs stung the most. He said 09 because in 2010 we nearly pinched it, but 09 it kind of slipped away from us. He mentioned the entries count at half time. He went on to talk about the level of affection he has for that playing group.

Sheahan asked if Seaford was an issue. He said, for him, it wasn't. Said it was less difficult for him to get to personally and that facilities were much better. Said you'd have to refer to the players as to whether it was an issue for them, but it wasn't for him. The couch people suggested the lack of coffee shops was an issue for the players.

Healy asked about whether there was anything he'd like to say to Saints Supporters. He mentioned something about the way the club had grown while he was there (I can't do justice to his exact words, so I won't try), that he felt Grant Thomas had built the club, he felt he'd built the club and now Scott Watters has a chance to build the club.

They finished off asking about the mini-derby and Sumich's defection.

That's all I remember. Hopefully they put it up during the week.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Cheers Vacuous - much appreciated.

“Yeah….nah””
crippa2sipa
Club Player

Vacuous - if that's not a great memory then please let's swap!
Brilliant summary.
Much appreciated as I wanted to watch but couldn't.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for the summary. Maybe Ross did The Saints a favour?
Time will tell.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Gee he speaks well. Always interesting listening to that man speak.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Middo
Club Player

Love the way Roosey has a pot shot at Scott Watters about some of the things he has said about the group of players he has taken over ..maybe not the best guy to be asking Lyon questions.. :!:

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

Middo wrote:Love the way Roosey has a pot shot at Scott Watters about some of the things he has said about the group of players he has taken over ..maybe not the best guy to be asking Lyon questions.. :!:
I noticed that too, a bit odd I would have thought! Watters can do whatever the hell he wants! You need a new coach to stamp there print on the group!

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Dear crippa2sipa

Although you were not a forum member back then (and you don't know me from a bar of soap and nor do I know you) I had alerted Saintsational re the media conference that morning because I had heard from his management and from the Saints that the deal had been done and would be announced that morning. When it didn't happen at the time - understandably - no-one answered my calls as I tried to find out what happened. In fact - they were in the dark themselves until that afternoon. Later I was fully briefed on what happened from the perspective of the club and his management - at least as much as they knew within 48 hours of Ross Lyon jumping ship.

What I was not privvy to ... was the Ross Lyon side of the story. I recognise that his view may be different - because who knows what he was told by the various parties. The facts are that the on the day prior to his disappearance and resignation and annoucement - the club and his appointed managers had reached a fully rattified agreement. Ross Lyon was briefed on that (and the terms were superior to his own minimum position briefed to his management) and HE indicated that he would sign it.

Obviously the last ditch pitch that night from Fremantle was an offer too good to refuse. He simply did not turn up at the appointed signing time and was uncontactable.

To be clear - I have no problem with anyone leaving an employer for a better opportunity. However perhaps ADMIT that all said and done - you left for more money!

Ross Lyon is also a very good coach.

If he didn't want to be our coach - fine - in fact please don't coach us because you feel obligated ... and I wish him luck (not against St Kilda) as coach of Fremantle.

Tonight Ross Lyon admitted that after the an intial contact during the season where he told Fremantle that he wanted to put conversations on hold but when asked when he commenced discussions ROSS LYON nominated "the 4th" - which I assumed to mean Sunday the 4th of September - 6 days prior to our Final against the Swans and about 10 days prior to his resignation. Whilst he says he was "emotionally" still St Kilda coach ... there is no doubt now that he was negotiating an alternative opportunity.

To me - this means he wasn't 100% focussed on our finals campaign.

For a man with the mantra 100% effort; 100% of the time ... he was the one who let the team, the club and the supporters down.

I wish him all the best with his millions.

All I care about now is Scott Watters finding the right focus so that the Saints reach their full potential in 2012 and beyond.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Middo wrote:Love the way Roosey has a pot shot at Scott Watters about some of the things he has said about the group of players he has taken over ..maybe not the best guy to be asking Lyon questions.. :!:
Roos really should exercise some discretion FFS hes in the media interviewing his best mate.......have we no integrity in media in this country at all?

“Yeah….nah””
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:Roos really should exercise some discretion FFS hes in the media interviewing his best mate.......have we no integrity in media in this country at all?
I don't necessarily disagree with his potshot at Watters - it isn't like Cuddles is inheriting a basketcase of a club - but coming from Roos, particularly on the night of a much publicised interview with his great mate, it was a little embarrassing. What was worse was that at every turn, Roos would suggest that they could ask Ross Lyon about various random tidbits, as if they were going to struggle to find topics of conversation for the alotted time. I will say this in Roos' favour: he did get out of the way in the interview. He didn't rush to his buddy's defence when the questioning took a hard line and the couple of questions he asked Lyon weren't totally useless. He was certainly no worse than Robert Walls had been when Rod Butterss showed up to defend the GT sacking.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:
Teflon wrote:Roos really should exercise some discretion FFS hes in the media interviewing his best mate.......have we no integrity in media in this country at all?
I don't necessarily disagree with his potshot at Watters - it isn't like Cuddles is inheriting a basketcase of a club - but coming from Roos, particularly on the night of a much publicised interview with his great mate, it was a little embarrassing. What was worse was that at every turn, Roos would suggest that they could ask Ross Lyon about various random tidbits, as if they were going to struggle to find topics of conversation for the alotted time. I will say this in Roos' favour: he did get out of the way in the interview. He didn't rush to his buddy's defence when the questioning took a hard line and the couple of questions he asked Lyon weren't totally useless. He was certainly no worse than Robert Walls had been when Rod Butterss showed up to defend the GT sacking.
I just watched it VS, I'm not really sure what about the highlighted article OTC was implying the club was a basketcase?

Roos highlighted a small passage tht said they didn't need to be defined by their past or something similar?

That could mean off field issues, it could mean lost grand finals, it could mean the clubs history in it's entirety.

I'm not saying it's not out there, but I'd like to see where Scott actually took aim if someone could track it down?

Because 'not being defined by your past' isn't exactly having a go is it?

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

I forgive you Ross.

Were you 100% focused on the Sydney final? Maybe not.

In doing so did you act immorally? No. It was human. That's how people are, we jump at situations.

Of course we will want to prove you wrong this year and forever after. But nonetheless, in every sense other than a premiership, I wish you all the best.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
vacuous space wrote:
I just watched it VS, I'm not really sure what about the highlighted article OTC was implying the club was a basketcase?

Roos highlighted a small passage tht said they didn't need to be defined by their past or something similar?

That could mean off field issues, it could mean lost grand finals, it could mean the clubs history in it's entirety.

I'm not saying it's not out there, but I'd like to see where Scott actually took aim if someone could track it down?

Because 'not being defined by your past' isn't exactly having a go is it?
Roos has taken it the wrong way.

Of course Scott Watters recognises that he inherits a core that has been pretty successful. But I reckon what Watters meant by the 'don't have to be defined by your past comment' was that this group doesn't have to be remembered as a group that lost two grand finals and couldn't seal the deal; that there is hope for them yet to deliver the ultimate prize.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:Gee he speaks well. Always interesting listening to that man speak.
ok - now im sure this whole thing is a put on clarky.

in fact it all sounds terribly boring.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
clarky449 wrote:Gee he speaks well. Always interesting listening to that man speak.

I enjoy the way he sees the game. Very intelligent and knows so much about the game. I love listening to those people in the game.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

I enjoy the way he sees the game. Very intelligent and knows so much about the game. I love listening to those people in the game.
which bits do you enjoy exactly? just the general "smartness"?
can u give some examples of where he sets himself apart from his peers and his tactics or philosophies you find novel?
what are his ideas on the future of the game for instance?