Goddard and saints going to Free agency to decide his value

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Goddard and saints going to Free agency to decide his va

defacto wrote:freo's offer confirms a couple of things:
1) cloke has told them no. must have told melbourne no as well.
2) have given up on securing wellingham which would be a step towards securing buddy as well

Also confirms Ross as a mercenary dog with few morals. We should offer a bomb to Nate Fyfe $1 mil a season soon as he goes out of contract just to help them and a bit to Hill also.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

saintbrat wrote:FWIW

Jack- one of his best friends
says he is staying...
Jack...Steven?

Anthony?

Riewoldt?

linz
Club Player

But it does go against the Pelchun rule.
Get players who can kick the football.
I think that's why Jones hasn't been playing. Doubts on Ray, Gram etc.
BJ is just about our best kicker of the footy.
All comes down to $ in the end but I hope we keep him at the right price.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I suddenly remembered this today. Anyone remember the talk last year when BJ was seen having lunch with Ball and Buckley at cafe in Richmond?

If the Pies lose Cloke, they have 700-800k set aside in their salary cap and Bucks may rate BJ highly and throw out the red carpet?

I reckon if the Saints have messed around too much, and tried to play hardball where it just wasn't neccessary, the Pies would be an attractive option for him.

Yep, that's my guess. If he doesn't stay, the Saints will probably end up improving the Pies list....again.

(BTW, I've been pretty strong on the fact he will stay, I just think the Saints are stuffing around here which is making me nervous)

Buckets
SS Life Member

But K what would Bj do to the pies list if they lose Cloke?

Listening to the MMM boys on saturday was interesting when they spoke about Bj.

A. Is Bj and inside or outside mid? Consensus was outside.

B. Is he a KPP? No.

C. How much is an outside mid/ HF flanker/ HB flanker worth? Is he worth 800k-1M? No. And not especially based on his last 2 seasons.

So what do we here see Bj as and how much do we think he is worth? Personally between 600-700k. And even then it's pushing it due to the fact that he isn't a KPP and that's what the team lacks at the present.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I suddenly remembered this today. Anyone remember the talk last year when BJ was seen having lunch with Ball and Buckley at cafe in Richmond?

If the Pies lose Cloke, they have 700-800k set aside in their salary cap and Bucks may rate BJ highly and throw out the red carpet?

I reckon if the Saints have messed around too much, and tried to play hardball where it just wasn't neccessary, the Pies would be an attractive option for him.

Yep, that's my guess. If he doesn't stay, the Saints will probably end up improving the Pies list....again.

(BTW, I've been pretty strong on the fact he will stay, I just think the Saints are stuffing around here which is making me nervous)
I wouldn't think the pies would spend big dollars on someone who will be 29 next year . they've got a few players similar to bj , if cloke goes bj's not a replacement for him , Bj has played mostly forward in the second half of the season and whilst he has a good goal sense , at no time has he dominated !

In red white and black from 73
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:But K what would Bj do to the pies list if they lose Cloke?

Listening to the MMM boys on saturday was interesting when they spoke about Bj.

A. Is Bj and inside or outside mid? Consensus was outside.

B. Is he a KPP? No.

C. How much is an outside mid/ HF flanker/ HB flanker worth? Is he worth 800k-1M? No. And not especially based on his last 2 seasons.

So what do we here see Bj as and how much do we think he is worth? Personally between 600-700k. And even then it's pushing it due to the fact that he isn't a KPP and that's what the team lacks at the present.
I think the sticking point appears to be the term of the contract, I think it's reasonable for him to want 4 years.

To be fair though, even if people respect the position of an outside mid or HB flanker or not, he certainly excelled at it.

AA status, good finishes in the Saints B&F....

Pies may be happy to play him there and move someone like Reid to the forward line, I actually think they've missed the good ball use of Davis from the backline this year, and Johnson can't have that much footy left in him.

BJ would improve Collingwood IMO.

Buckets
SS Life Member

Surely the pies would need to go after a replacement for Cloke? I could not see that replacement being Bj IMO.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:Surely the pies would need to go after a replacement for Cloke? I could not see that replacement being Bj IMO.
Not convinced there is a replacement for Cloke to be honest, market is pretty thin of options.

Pies would be better developing Reid into a key forward.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:I suddenly remembered this today. Anyone remember the talk last year when BJ was seen having lunch with Ball and Buckley at cafe in Richmond?

What if they have no choice due to the salary cap. I would thin that is the issue. We really need him to want to go to GWS but I cant see that happening. And he certainly shouldnt get 4 years especially after his last 2 years.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

If the Pies lose Cloke then they'll likely focus on retaining players like Wellingham, not sign FA players such as Goddard IMO. And i doubt a club with a lot of high profile players like Collingwood would pay overs for Goddard. He would get similar pay to he could at ST K, likely less. If Goddard goes the cash it'll likely be to Freo or one of the new franchises.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:So what do we here see Bj as and how much do we think he is worth? Personally between 600-700k.
he's worth different amounts to different clubs. personally i reckon since we're out of the premiership window with this group, he's worth about $450k - $500k. for gws he's probably worth $800k because they need senior players. for freo he might be worth $700k because they could still win a flag with pav.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

bergholt wrote:
Buckets wrote:So what do we here see Bj as and how much do we think he is worth? Personally between 600-700k.
he's worth different amounts to different clubs. personally i reckon since we're out of the premiership window with this group, he's worth about $450k - $500k. for gws he's probably worth $800k because they need senior players. for freo he might be worth $700k because they could still win a flag with pav.
Agreed.

Cloke is useless to us unless our kids get magically better and impact games every week.

If Goddard does go I want to see that pick and the cash we have thrown at Chaplin...please

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
bergholt wrote:
Agreed.

Cloke is useless to us unless our kids get magically better and impact games every week.

If Goddard does go I want to see that pick and the cash we have thrown at Chaplin...please

A first round pick for Chaplain. The guy is a very ordinary footballer.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Really? He has impressed me when I have seen him play.

We need a tall. He is a tall. He has played in a poor team and sure has had practice dealing with constant bombardments of the footy down his end.

What makes him so average?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:Really? He has impressed me when I have seen him play.

We need a tall. He is a tall. He has played in a poor team and sure has had practice dealing with constant bombardments of the footy down his end.

He is slow and a poor kick and not a great decision maker. Not even sure he plays on the best forward.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:

He is slow and a poor kick and not a great decision maker. Not even sure he plays on the best forward.
So which tall back do we go for them (If Goddard goes)

Do you think Goddard will even go?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

So which tall back do we go for them (If Goddard goes)

Do you think Goddard will even go?

Have no idea on a tall back but we need someone. I think the Saints want BJ to go but really only to GWS. If he doesnt go there we may try to keep him if we can.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Yeah, but your judgement of SA footballers is so-so. :wink:

matrix
Saintsational Legend

you think the saints want bj to go???

wow the offer given musta been for a hundred grand and 4 packets of chicken twisties :?

Superstar
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:Okay, someone with a better understanding of Free Agency may be able to explain this to me.

I get the bit about the Saints being able to match offers etc. But let's say we go through this process and at the end of it there are 3 offers. Let's say:

GWS -$ 800,000 pa
Freo - $ 700,000 pa
StKFC - $ 600,000 pa

Would Goddard be able to reject the highest offer as he doesn't want to go to play for a team that is going to be uncompetitive for the next few years? Would he then be able to take Freo's offer?

And if he didn't want to go to Sydney and then thought "can't be bothered going to Freo for an extra $100,000", could he simply accept the Saints low offer? I'm assuming he can do all of this because it's surely been set up to help the player get what he wants.

Bottom line of the question - does failing to match an offer automatically mean we'll lose the player?

Basically, BJ would have to choose one offer and take it back to the saints, and they have the option to match it. It doesn't have to be the highest, or longest offer, just the one he is most likely to accept. In your example Freo. Also, he only gets 1 bite of the cherry, so if he goes back to the saints with the Freo offer and they match it, he can't come back with an offer from the blues a couple of days later.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

When does free agency shenanagans take place, during Trade week, or before?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote:Who was in charge of contracts before the current group? When GT got sacked, a lot of his detractors were talking about how great it would be to have somebody other than the coach deal with contracts. We then signed Leigh Fisher to a near lifetime contract while he was on the fringes of the 22, signed Brad Howard for 2 years and delisted him two weeks later and signed guys like Gram and Koschitzke to lengthy, costly extensions with easily achievable incentives. Paying overs for Ball and long contracts for Hamill and Penny look like genius by comparison.

Given the number of players who have been overpaid by this club over the past decade, I reckon it's a tragedy that Lenny never got over $500K. If there's one player that you'd like to be overpaid by the club, it's got to be him.
Agree vs - We made some seriously dreadful (almost inconceivable) contract decisions pre Bainesy coming in. Certainly left us in a predicament and without any prospect of chasing a big fish now we need one - by comparison the Hawks somehow recruited Shaun Bugoyne AFTER winning a flag.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote: (BTW, I've been pretty strong on the fact he will stay, I just think the Saints are stuffing around here which is making me nervous)
I dont think we are stuffing around" - I think we are offering all we can can under the rules. We are maxed out paying big coin for Roo and still paying Kosi. We simply cant do any more then we are doing.