BJ offered $1.9m over three years

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Re: BJ offered $1.9m over three years

SainterK wrote:
Spinner wrote:BJ is worth the money. Won't be paying anyone else anytime soon,..,
Come in spinner....

+1
I don't think I understand the logic. Are you proposing that we might as well throw a disproportinate amount of money at one player because there aren't any other players on the list to invest the money into?

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Cairnsman wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Spinner wrote:BJ is worth the money. Won't be paying anyone else anytime soon,..,
Come in spinner....

+1
I don't think I understand the logic. Are you proposing that we might as well throw a disproportinate amount of money at one player because there aren't any other players on the list to invest the money into?
I would prefer to be a mill under the salary cap to spend in future years on a gun than pay overs to keep one player. The extra funds could entice a gun or future gun. Not liking the, I've got got money there might as well spend it on BJ mentality. Club is bigger than the individual

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Come in spinner....

+1
+1 with Cairnsman. Hell they got money to throw around I might stick my hand out as well

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Come in spinner....

+1
I'm agreeing that he is worth good money.

We all understand you're sentiments regarding BJ Cairnsman, loud and clear.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Sainterk - serious question.

Can you explain why you think that BJ is worth 800K+ a year?

If so can you explain why Lenny has never been on this sort of money? Why is BJ worth this money but say Dal isn't?

I get the feeling that you would like the club to meet BJ's demands purely because you 'like' him as a player or maybe even as an individual? Can you not see that paying a player this type of money just causes resentment and creates problems down the track? Do you acknowledge that paying a player like BJ (essentially id midfielder who can push fwd or back) who hasn't even won a club B&F appears strange?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Sainterk - serious question.

If so can you explain why Lenny has never been on this sort of money? Why is BJ worth this money but say Dal isn't?

I get the feeling that you would like the club to meet BJ's demands purely because you 'like' him as a player or maybe even as an individual? Can you not see that paying a player this type of money just causes resentment and creates problems down the track? Do you acknowledge that paying a player like BJ (essentially id midfielder who can push fwd or back) who hasn't even won a club B&F appears strange?
Firstly I didn't say anywhere that I think he is worth 800K Moods, I said he is worth good money.

I mean, some are even still trying to say 400-500 a season.

Personally, I think it would just take the 4th year to get it done rather than the $$$ so much.

Don't turn this into who we 'like' because it's his worth as a footballer that I am talking about, and I think I have a right to my opinion.

As for where he plays, there was a 4 week patch when he was finally moved into the midfield later this year, that he had something like 40+ score involvements...I think he has 'value' still.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Moods wrote:Sainterk - serious question.

Firstly I didn't say anywhere that I think he is worth 800K Moods, I said he is worth good money.

I mean, some are even still trying to say 400-500 a season.

Personally, I think it would just take the 4th year to get it done rather than the $$$ so much.

Don't turn this into who we 'like' because it's his worth as a footballer that I am talking about, and I think I have a right to my opinion.

As for where he plays, there was a 4 week patch when he was finally moved into the midfield later this year, that he had something like 40+ score involvements...I think he has 'value' still.
Yes. I am part of that some who believe that BJ is worth about 450k a year. It's my opinion that the club grossly overpays certain players on our list - and if Rooey's comments are to be taken literally from a few years back when Karmichael Hunt and Israel Folael entered the comp - players like Lenny are getting grossly underpaid.

I never said that BJ doesn't have value to the team. I certainly think he has great value - but the I think the money he's asking is plain ridiculous in the context of 42 players on a list and what he has achieved in the game so far. If he had maintained his 08-2010 form then I would agree with you - the fact is, for whatever reason he hasn't. He shouldn't be the 2nd highest paid player on our list for that reason I believe.

You have implied in the past that the club has not offered him enough or that what they have offered him is insulting forcing him to look elsewhere. How can $550k a year be insulting to a player like BJ. wHAT DO you think he's worth and what do you think the club should be offering him? I only ask cos despite disagreeing with you on this point, I am genuinely interested in your opinion - and I'm happy that you have one :wink:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Out:

IN:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Bigfooty ( very reliable...) says latest whisper is Freo have offered 850k over 5 years - ill drive him to the airport if that's true

“Yeah….nah””
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Bigfooty ( very reliable...) says latest whisper is Freo have offered 850k over 5 years - ill drive him to the airport if that's true
If that's true I wouldn't want to be taking over the coaching reins at the Dockers in a few years time :shock:

Kernal75
Club Player

Rumour on FS show last night was that BJ met with Bomber Thompson at Keysborough GC, which was confirmed by Damien Barrett. If that's true then I think he's only really considering Essendon as his preferred destination if he leaves us. If they want to throw the kutchen sink at him then good luck, not sure he'll get any better at 28!

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Bigfooty ( very reliable...) says latest whisper is Freo have offered 850k over 5 years - ill drive him to the airport if that's true
After appearing to have failed to attract Collingwood free agent Travis Cloke despite a lucrative $5.5 million five-year deal, the Dockers have offered Goddard a guaranteed four-year contract worth $3.4m.

The tempting $850,000-a-year deal is way and above the Saints' best offer so far of about $640,000 a year for three years.

Goddard, 27, wants the security of a four-year deal, which has been rejected by St Kilda, but he has also informed his club and teammates his preference is not to move interstate.

Until about a fortnight ago, the club pursuing Goddard the hardest was Essendon.

The Bombers' bid for Goddard had been based on an annual salary of between $700,000 and $800,000. Until recently, the Saints remained confident of retaining the midfielder.

Fremantle coach Ross Lyon, who was at St Kilda for 102 of Goddard's 205 matches, spoke of adding a quality player to his list after the Dockers were beaten in last week's semi-final in Adelaide by the Crows.

"We need more depth of mid, a bit of pace and skill and line-breaking," Lyon said. "That's the area we're targeting."

Other clubs, including Geelong, have registered an interest in Goddard but almost all have so far baulked at his price. The Cats have gone lukewarm since learning of the huge Fremantle offer.

Goddard is a restricted free agent and can automatically move to the club of his choice if the Saints do not, or cannot, match a rival offer.

His future will be known next month, when free agency takes shape for the first time, between October 1 and 19.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/a ... 6478444415

sax
Club Player

Old Mate wrote:
After appearing to have failed to attract Collingwood free agent Travis Cloke despite a lucrative $5.5 million five-year deal, the Dockers have offered Goddard a guaranteed four-year contract worth $3.4m.

The tempting $850,000-a-year deal is way and above the Saints' best offer so far of about $640,000 a year for three years.

Goddard, 27, wants the security of a four-year deal, which has been rejected by St Kilda, but he has also informed his club and teammates his preference is not to move interstate.

Until about a fortnight ago, the club pursuing Goddard the hardest was Essendon.

The Bombers' bid for Goddard had been based on an annual salary of between $700,000 and $800,000. Until recently, the Saints remained confident of retaining the midfielder.

Fremantle coach Ross Lyon, who was at St Kilda for 102 of Goddard's 205 matches, spoke of adding a quality player to his list after the Dockers were beaten in last week's semi-final in Adelaide by the Crows.

"We need more depth of mid, a bit of pace and skill and line-breaking," Lyon said. "That's the area we're targeting."

Other clubs, including Geelong, have registered an interest in Goddard but almost all have so far baulked at his price. The Cats have gone lukewarm since learning of the huge Fremantle offer.

Goddard is a restricted free agent and can automatically move to the club of his choice if the Saints do not, or cannot, match a rival offer.

His future will be known next month, when free agency takes shape for the first time, between October 1 and 19.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/a ... 6478444415

Greg Denham's usually pretty reliable! :roll:

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
longtimesaint
Club Player

I don't know why we don't offer the 4th year, as it could be subject to a medical at the end of ther 3rd year.
We have a huge advantage over the other clubs prepared to offer Goddard big dollars, in that he will be eligible for veteren status and only half his contract will be against the cap.
this will surely be the case in the 3rd and 4th year.

One year will be our year
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote:I don't know why we don't offer the 4th year, as it could be subject to a medical at the end of ther 3rd year.
We have a huge advantage over the other clubs prepared to offer Goddard big dollars, in that he will be eligible for veteren status and only half his contract will be against the cap.
Maybe the club know why?

Maybe they see more value in BJ moving on than staying???

“Yeah….nah””
Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
longtimesaint wrote:I don't know why we don't offer the 4th year, as it could be subject to a medical at the end of ther 3rd year.
Maybe they see more value in BJ moving on than staying???
Bingo

longtimesaint
Club Player

Running players that kick long and dispose of the ball accurately are gold compared with what you may get in 2 or 3 years time with a dratf pick.
Essendon and Freo seem to see the value in a player like Goddard.
From what I have heard Scott Waters really wants to keep him -maybe it's the football management that's playing hard to get.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Maybe it's like Ch7 and the 'TV rights'?
We have 'last right of refusal' and rather than offering him too much now (money and length of contract), causing others to up their offers, we're just waiting to see what the best offer is without us overbidding?

As it currently stands we have the right to 'match' any real offer he gets from other Clubs.
We can then decide if he's worth that match to keep him.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote:Running players that kick long and dispose of the ball accurately are gold compared with what you may get in 2 or 3 years time with a dratf pick.
From what I have heard Scott Waters really wants to keep him -maybe it's the football management that's playing hard to get.
Are the Saints really playing hard to get?

Or have they simply offered an amount that most supporters would consider is fair and reasonable to the player and that is financially prudent for the club?

Just because other clubs are supposedly throwing silly money around doesn't mean we have to follow suite.

Also, maybe there's a touch of the "Ayce Cordys" going on here. Just like we forced the Buldogs to use their first pick on the father/son, maybe some clubs are just trying to force the Saints to pay BJ more than we should. Maybe they're not as serious about him as we're being lead to believe. As I understand it there are no official opposition offers or contracts to sign until October 1.

longtimesaint
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
longtimesaint wrote:Running players that kick long and dispose of the ball accurately are gold compared with what you may get in 2 or 3 years time with a dratf pick.

Or have they simply offered an amount that most supporters would consider is fair and reasonable to the player and that is financially prudent for the club?

Just because other clubs are supposedly throwing silly money around doesn't mean we have to follow suite.

Also, maybe there's a touch of the "Ayce Cordys" going on here. Just like we forced the Buldogs to use their first pick on the father/son, maybe some clubs are just trying to force the Saints to pay BJ more than we should. Maybe they're not as serious about him as we're being lead to believe. As I understand it there are no official opposition offers or contracts to sign until October 1.
As I understand it the main stumbling block is the 3 years.
We probably wouldn't need to match the money as it would be done before we are in a position of having to match other offers.

Gershwin
Club Player

And I see a player like Siposs capable of learning and playing that role for a long time. Goddard might just over value his worth.

summertime and the living is easy ........
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Kernal75 wrote:Rumour on FS show last night was that BJ met with Bomber Thompson at Keysborough GC, which was confirmed by Damien Barrett. If that's true then I think he's only really considering Essendon as his preferred destination if he leaves us. If they want to throw the kutchen sink at him then good luck, not sure he'll get any better at 28!

interstingly Barrett also said it was completely accidental...

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

longtimesaint wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

As I understand it the main stumbling block is the 3 years.
We probably wouldn't need to match the money as it would be done before we are in a position of having to match other offers.

I dont get what you are saying. If he picks a club we have to match every part of the offer.

longtimesaint
Club Player

I mean do the deal before the free agency window opens on Oct 1 and give him the 4 years and at that point there is no offer we have to match.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

and Ill pick up from the airport when he arrives....