Why BJ left St.Kilda: Facts

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why BJ left St.Kilda: Facts

ralphsmith wrote:
I have a very strange feeling we will win won before essendon, within 5 years.
History isn't exactly on our side but the burden of history is. Essendon really don't have that problem at all.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:.....and it is not just value for money....as the salary cap has been choking us the last several seasons, and it imposesa limit on what can be done.

So paying BJ more...would have meant losing other quality players like Dal who are actually more important to us that BJ.

So anyone that wanted to keep BJ needs to nominate which quality StKilda players that they were happy to lose. It was an either /or.....and not both scenario.

Now yes Gram going will have freed up things more, but that was not know during the year.
Probably more important is the fact that it can mean guys next tier down leave like Armo and Steven which kills our future.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

gringo wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:.....and it is not just value for money....as the salary cap has been choking us the last several seasons, and it imposesa limit on what can be done.

So paying BJ more...would have meant losing other quality players like Dal who are actually more important to us that BJ.

So anyone that wanted to keep BJ needs to nominate which quality StKilda players that they were happy to lose. It was an either /or.....and not both scenario.

Now yes Gram going will have freed up things more, but that was not know during the year.
Probably more important is the fact that it can mean guys next tier down leave like Armo and Steven which kills our future.
I feel as if I have typed this out plenty of times however the cash was not worth the output.

I would even suggest that Joey is in the same boat however one would suggest he would be on less money than BJ circa 2012 (all things being equal) anyway.

That being said, I expect us to buy a few quality players and/or use our draft picks to burgle GWS and GC

rexy
SS Life Member

Only read the first page so this may have been said!
There's only one reason BJ left, because we didn't match Essendons offer!
Ball was in our court, we made a business decision based on our opinion of his worth!

Maybe this year?
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

See this is the part I don't get, BJ aside...

Would of thought the cap is surely lessening, who are we even paying next couple of seasons? Will be retirements, veterans...I struggle to see where all the coin will be going.

I emphasise, BJ aside.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Losing BJ and freeing up our cap is great. But losing Gram as well has left a massive hole on our half back line. It's clear that Watters thinks Raph is rubbish otherwise he would've been held on to as a stop gap measure for another year.

For us to compete well bext year, let's hope we can do it via shootout!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Losing BJ and freeing up our cap is great. But losing Gram as well has left a massive hole on our half back line. It's clear that Watters thinks Raph is rubbish otherwise he would've been held on to as a stop gap measure for another year.

The team is evolving...i think it's great...fantastic even......those other teams of ours were flawed.

let's see how it evolves before "we" throw the baby out with the bath water....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:Losing BJ and freeing up our cap is great. But losing Gram as well has left a massive hole on our half back line. It's clear that Watters thinks Raph is rubbish otherwise he would've been held on to as a stop gap measure for another year.

The team is evolving...i think it's great...fantastic even......those other teams of ours were flawed.

Think that's the first time I have read something even remotely positive from you bob…

But I agree, it is exciting, we have to shed some old guard to re-generate properly. New dawn.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:

I'm actually nervous and probably means im conservative but the team we assembled made 2 GFs and was close to the prize. We haven't done very well with recruiting in the meantime and losing the good players we have leaves us vulnerable.

melbourne have culled anyone that made them remotely competitive and are suffering on and of field because of it. So much comes down to a bit of luck and a lot of good recruiting and list management. hope we are on the right track because I prefer the GF appearances exciting when compared to watching a team of promising kids come and go year after year.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
bobmurray wrote:

Think that's the first time I have read something even remotely positive from you bob
You should read more...i'm only occasionally negative

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
See this is the part I don't get, BJ aside...

Would of thought the cap is surely lessening, who are we even paying next couple of seasons? Will be retirements, veterans...I struggle to see where all the coin will be going.

I emphasise, BJ aside.
I must admit I cannot understand your logic.

Why surely lessening as apart from Gram, who on significant money was not going to be part of 2013 ? = no one. The guys going will all have been on low contracts. Our good youn players will be sniffing for more.

2014 = Roo should still be playing. Kosi will probably have his last year, or at least last on good money. So that leaves Lenny as a maybe. I say maybe as he was oustanding this season. Joey as a possible, but more likely will be on a one year deal. Meanwhile our hopefully improving younger players will have their hands up for more money. Take Sadd. If he has a 2013 to match his 2012 he wll deserve more money.

The downside of making GF's is that all the players quite rightly earn all their bonuses and put their hand up for increases. After all making the GF means that you are one of the top teams.

Veterans: The rules have changed.

Retirements; Sorry...but we are not losing any well paid players to retirement this year. Even Blake who may have gone is on low money. Gram was reputedly on a high contract, but his going was after the BJ decision AND his contract went to next season anyone.

The kids: As others have note players like Steven will be putting their hands up for more money. As the St Kilda salary cap was already tight giving BJ MORE money than he was on had to mean a cut elsewhere. So keep BJ...and lose Dal....or Steven, Siposs etc...

At $800K BJ would need to be our best or second best player. He was not in 2012. Roo, Dal, Sam, Lenny are all IMO currently better and more valuable players for us. Paying BJ the big bucks would have those 4 players all asking why not more dollars for them.

Your argument seems to be that BJ wants more midfield time. Well sorry but Lenny and Dal are both better mids. So why pay BJ more than them if that is the position he aspires to?

I rate BJ as a player. But I did not rate him as our our No 1.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
lloyd21
Club Player

Why BJ left St.Kilda: Facts

Move on about Goddard he went for $ only $ ,my source is his sister who goes out with my son. End of story.
As for the bulls*** about Goddard playing midfield he has been tried as mid with Ross Lyon Failed ,again with Scott Watters failed hates the tag .

Anybody who watched the Saints closely would seen brendon fail against Melbourne. Failed against Fremantle. Failed against Nth Melbourne. His spot is off half back don't get me wrong though he was a great player but not worth the $ move on.

Ps. $800 k. X 4 years is what he on. Fact

Stop looking in the past exciting decade to come.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Many other clubs could lay claim to an exciting decade ahead

A hopeful decade is more like it....

BJ is not just a mid... But can play there, but can wear other hats... Not sure Dal and Len could go forward and take contested Marks or do the same amount of damage off HB?!

Possibly not our best play (although that's arguable) but valuable indeed!

But not for 800k

Would he have stayed for 650-700?

Maybe he wanted to move.... As I've said before at least we were compensated this time!!!

dragit
Saintsational Legend

lloyd21 wrote:Move on about Goddard he went for $ only $ ,my source is his sister who goes out with my son. End of story.
As for the bulls*** about Goddard playing midfield he has been tried as mid with Ross Lyon Failed ,again with Scott Watters failed hates the tag .

Anybody who watched the Saints closely would seen brendon fail against Melbourne. Failed against Fremantle. Failed against Nth Melbourne. His spot is off half back don't get me wrong though he was a great player but not worth the $ move on.

I like what you did there, re-opened a thread that hadn't been touched for three months, telling everyone to move on…

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

Your sons going out with his sister and you openly bag him and disclose personal info via social media. not sure if serious, or your agenda.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

I thought it was their better list lloyd.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Better hairdressers out Moonee Ponds way?
Obviously hasn't found them yet!

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

dragit wrote:
lloyd21 wrote:Move on about Goddard he went for $ only $ ,my source is his sister who goes out with my son. End of story.

I like what you did there, re-opened a thread that hadn't been touched for three months, telling everyone to move on…
:lol:

Kickit
Club Player

A person I know pretty well told me they knew someone in the "media" department at StKilda, who considered that BJ left StKilda because he considered the club poorly organised and amateurish.
I took it with a grain of salt at the time, and didn't post it in any forums or anything.
If that was in fact a reason I can only imagine how he feels in light of the latest crap going down at Essendon.

Maybe he was going around saying that sort of thing, because face it, not many people will walk up to you and tell you " I'm a greedy individual ".

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:Better hairdressers out Moonee Ponds way?
Obviously hasn't found them yet!
Poor guy is going pan early, that is such a compensator fringe.

Freebird
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:From an impeccable source here they are:

(1) Better facilities on offer at Essendon Fields new facility about to open next year.

(2) Chance to play in the midfield

(3) Chance to play in a premiership

Also, he was offered MORE money at other clubs than Essendon, although I don't know which clubs they were.

Do you know his: -

fathers name and where he works?

His mothers maiden name?

Street he lived in when 15

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:From an impeccable source here they are:

(1) Better facilities on offer at Essendon Fields new facility about to open next year.

(2) Chance to play in the midfield

(3) Chance to play in a premiership

Also, he was offered MORE money at other clubs than Essendon, although I don't know which clubs they were.

Do you know his: -

fathers name and where he works?

His mothers maiden name?

Street he lived in when 15

Doesnt his father work in Barwon prison?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Those reasons are a cut and paste job from the Rejuvenation Clinic website.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Some are looking at BJ through rose colored glasses.

On the flip side, he is slow, does not like having an opponent follow him around; can be undisciplined and needs the coach to help him get into the game when he is struggling. Playing in the midfield and getting his own ball aren't particular strengths either. He may also have a dodgy hip that might limit his upside and prevent him from returning to his 2009/10 form.

He may never get back to his best form and Essendom might be 'waiting for Goddard' like the way we waited for a flag that never came. :D :mrgreen:

Having said that, he'll now probably slam 5 goals in a grand final and win the Norm Smith. :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:

I Love Peter Kiel
Club Player

Better drugs???

In honour of those who went before, in the dark and desperate years.