Any Ideas for Captain 2013?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Re: Any Ideas for Captain 2013?

Mark Blake, premiership player. Gee that hurts. Anyhoo, I think we should strongly consider Lenny, Dal, Joey, the Dumpster, Big Boy and then just give it to Roo.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
St. Hellrider

Mark Blake very comparable to Goldstein, great tap work and useless otherwise.
That's why Blake got kicked to the curb,
And thats why Goldstein will eventually.

Even if hickey usurped mcevoy this year,
Mcevoy would be miles ahead of kos/Wilkes/lee/white for FF.
IMO

dragit
Saintsational Legend

St. Hellrider wrote:Mark Blake very comparable to Goldstein, great tap work and useless otherwise.

IMO
I don't quite understand this…
Stats aren't everything, but they can be a decent guide…

Goldstein - 24 YO
79 games
11.5 disp per game
3.3 marks per match
25 hit outs per match
0.5 goals per game

McEvoy - 23 YO
69 games
11.6 disp per game
4.5 marks per match
17 hit outs per match
0.3 goals per game

Their stats are pretty similar, yet Goldstein is useless and McEvoy is a gun
Because although he doesn't win many hitouts or kick any goals, but he takes one more mark per match ?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
St. Hellrider wrote:Mark Blake very comparable to Goldstein, great tap work and useless otherwise.

IMO

Goldstein - 24 YO
79 games
11.5 disp per game
3.3 marks per match
25 hit outs per match
0.5 goals per game

McEvoy - 23 YO
69 games
11.6 disp per game
4.5 marks per match
17 hit outs per match
0.3 goals per game

Because although he doesn't win many hitouts or kick any goals, but he takes one more mark per match ?

You can do what you like with stats. I find watching the game a pretty good guide and I think both are going to be excellent players in the future.

St. Hellrider

The stats don't lie.
But you're comparing a guy with an extra year in the afl to a bloke that was underdone and injured last year.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:

IMO

Goldstein - 24 YO
79 games
11.5 disp per game
3.3 marks per match
25 hit outs per match
0.5 goals per game

McEvoy - 23 YO
69 games
11.6 disp per game
4.5 marks per match
17 hit outs per match
0.3 goals per game

That proves absolutely nothing. Its about influence on the game that counts.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Winning a tap is absolutely useless if it goes to the opposition. I reckon tap work is a bit sophisticated or just complete chaos theory. There is probably stuff like negating ruck techniques etc due to bounce unpredictability and jostling rovers. I think clearances are a fair stat to look at as you are looking at the centre players as a unit, but obviously doesn't give complete picture.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Beekay
SS Life Member

I can handle the head down, non cheering of teammates, little verbal communication, completely absorbed in his own game...

... but Riewoldt spraying Milera was the final straw for me.

For the same reason I would have hated if BJ stayed on and was made captain.

If only we had a young Michael Voss or Lenny Hayes.

(and yes, I have no doubt Voss would have shredded his players.. for not putting their head over the ball, etc)

Don't get me wrong, Roo leads by example in many ways.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:
dragit wrote:

IMO

Goldstein - 24 YO
79 games
11.5 disp per game
3.3 marks per match
25 hit outs per match
0.5 goals per game

McEvoy - 23 YO
69 games
11.6 disp per game
4.5 marks per match
17 hit outs per match
0.3 goals per game

That proves absolutely nothing. Its about influence on the game that counts.
It proves that Goldstein isn't useless & McEvoy isn't influencing games that much yet. Both are promising, Goldstein probably ahead at this stage being in AA contention in 2011, hopefully Ben passes him this year.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:I can handle the head down, non cheering of teammates, little verbal communication, completely absorbed in his own game...

... but Riewoldt spraying Milera was the final straw for me.

For the same reason I would have hated if BJ stayed on and was made captain.

If only we had a young Michael Voss or Lenny Hayes.

(and yes, I have no doubt Voss would have shredded his players.. for not putting their head over the ball, etc)

Don't get me wrong, Roo leads by example in many ways.
I thought he got off lightly on here when he did that....

Milera seemed so unsure of himself after that moment.

I'd pin it down to the fact that for once he had space and didn't have 2 or 3 hanging on him he forgot himself for a moment....still, was not a good look.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

millarsaint wrote:Winning a tap is absolutely useless if it goes to the opposition. I reckon tap work is a bit sophisticated or just complete chaos theory. There is probably stuff like negating ruck techniques etc due to bounce unpredictability and jostling rovers. I think clearances are a fair stat to look at as you are looking at the centre players as a unit, but obviously doesn't give complete picture.

Totally agree there seems to be some pretty unreliable stats. Sandilands got a towling from our mids who picked off his ruckwork even though I doubt we registered many hitouts ourselves. That's also what makes Cox a damaging ruckman, his ability to force feed his mids with strong tap work. I can't wait for Lewis Pierce to come on in a few years because if his tap work continues to be as good at senior level he will be Cox like.

Check his highlight reel.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
millarsaint wrote:Winning a tap is absolutely useless if it goes to the opposition. I reckon tap work is a bit sophisticated or just complete chaos theory. There is probably stuff like negating ruck techniques etc due to bounce unpredictability and jostling rovers. I think clearances are a fair stat to look at as you are looking at the centre players as a unit, but obviously doesn't give complete picture.

Totally agree there seems to be some pretty unreliable stats. Sandilands got a towling from our mids who picked off his ruckwork even though I doubt we registered many hitouts ourselves. That's also what makes Cox a damaging ruckman, his ability to force feed his mids with strong tap work. I can't wait for Lewis Pierce to come on in a few years because if his tap work continues to be as good at senior level he will be Cox like.

Got Lenny's highlights reel when he was drafted?

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

No have you got Tony Lockett's? Do you have Adolph hitler's diary? What has lenny's highlight got to do with and emerging ruckman that has a talent for old fashioned tap work and an ability to tap to his own players. It's actually pretty rare these days.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:

No have you got Tony Lockett's? Do you have Adolph hitler's diary? What has lenny's highlight got to do with and emerging ruckman that has a talent for old fashioned tap work and an ability to tap to his own players. It's actually pretty rare these days.

Because highlights reels are exactly that. i reckon Lenny's would have shown a great tackler, a slow player when chasing, an average kick and not one overhead mark but it wouldnt show courage and the ability to run all day.

evo
Club Player

Stats were not wrong in the 2010 GF when Jolly spanked us in the ruck and pushed forward and kicked goals. Hickey seems to be beating Macca at training according to other boards.

(from BF- Tom Hickey is a very mobile tall (thin) and was all over McEvoy in the rucking drills - with McEvoy noticeable becoming frustrated with his inability to get a hand on the ball.)

If Hickeys form continues I can not see Macca being first ruck, he also has the new rules to contend with..

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote:Stats were not wrong in the 2010 GF when Jolly spanked us in the ruck and pushed forward and kicked goals. Hickey seems to be beating Macca at training according to other boards.

(from BF- Tom Hickey is a very mobile tall (thin) and was all over McEvoy in the rucking drills - with McEvoy noticeable becoming frustrated with his inability to get a hand on the ball.)

If Hickeys form continues I can not see Macca being first ruck, he also has the new rules to contend with..

You are right. A person saying that in a training situation certainly suggests Hickey may have passed him already. He could become the greatest of all time. Hickey is now GOAT.

Are you are right about Jolly in 2010. Ben had just turned 21 and couldnt go with a 28 year old premiership player. He was actually pathetic and we have replaced him then and there.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote: Got Lenny's highlights reel when he was drafted?

Because highlights reels are exactly that. i reckon Lenny's would have shown a great tackler, a slow player when chasing, an average kick and not one overhead mark but it wouldnt show courage and the ability to run all day.[/quote]

I bet Bevo didn't get to a lot of games in the sydney burbs so he was either well informed by a scout, a genius or had some pretty decent high lights to guess at his future because he was a first round pick. Lenny had a pretty slow first couple of seasons but he had something about him when he played that you could tell was elite. i left the 7 on my jumper after watching him play a couple of games so he was showing something- I'm no talent scout.

Lewis Pierce has a great technique when he rucks and his highlights are all about that ability. He might not make it if he doesn't have other strings to his bow but he does the one thing not that many modern ruckmen seem to do - slam the ball into the hands of a teammate. As I said he might not get the chance to dominate at AFL level but he has got a great base to work from.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I don't really care who plays in the ruck, as long as they are capable...

evo
Club Player

SainterK wrote:I don't really care who plays in the ruck, as long as they are capable...

I agree..... Capable being the operative word!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

evo wrote:
SainterK wrote:I don't really care who plays in the ruck, as long as they are capable...

Yep and we certainly have one. I really beleive those who somehow think a 23 ruckman should be at his best now must be very young and havent seen much footy so they do have an excuse for arguing this way. How was Cox and Sandilands going at 23? Not sure you have answered that but that maybe because you are very young now and never saw them play at 23. Thats all I can come up with.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
evo wrote:

Yep and we certainly have one. I really beleive those who somehow think a 23 ruckman should be at his best now must be very young and havent seen much footy so they do have an excuse for arguing this way. How was Cox and Sandilands going at 23? Not sure you have answered that but that maybe because you are very young now and never saw them play at 23. Thats all I can come up with.

If Gardner was still in our team but younger and in all Australian form like when cox was 23, Ben would not be in the 22. Ben is only in the 22 because we don't have a NON Developing ruckmen at the moment

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

gringo wrote:

Which GF winning team bar hawks in 08 did not have a dominate ruck ????

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
evo wrote:

If Gardner was still in our team but younger and in all Australian form like when cox was 23, Ben would not be in the 22. Ben is only in the 22 because we don't have a NON Developing ruckmen at the moment

If. You cant prove that at all. And even if that was true I dont see how that makes Ben not up to it as you have said Gardiner was in AA form. The difference to when Cox was 23 is that they played a second ruckman on the bench. They cant now. I have no idea what you point actually is. How was Sandilands going at 23 years of age?

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Wasn't Spider Burton their number 1 ruck then???

What's not to prove. Gardner was in AA form. There is a good possibility that Ben won't even get nominated.

Name a GF winning team plugger without a dominate ruck bar hawks in 08 .

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ROLS-LEE wrote:Wasn't Spider Burton their number 1 ruck then???

What's not to prove. Gardner was in AA form. There is a good possibility that Ben won't even get nominated.

Name a GF winning team plugger without a dominate ruck bar hawks in 08 .

Dont know many. Dont see what that has to do with Ben. So that means Hickey will play ahead Of Ben? have no idea why you even asked the question. What has Burton got to do with sandilands at 23 years of age? If sandilands was as good then as he is now he would have played before Burton. And like most ruckmen Sandilands improved after 23 as did Cox. You are basically saying Ben wont improve where as i am saying he is a fair way ahead of Cox and Sandilands at that age so he probably still will improve.

And its Gardiner.