Intra club game

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

8bloggs
Club Player

Re: Intra club game

Some observations, of which a few have already been aired:
Hickey seemed to win a lot of the hitouts in the first half of the game against Big Mac, promising.
Maister (nee Wilkes) the dominant forward, worked hard, much fitter.
Milne far from finished - class.
Lee didn't get into the action in the first half but Maister and Kosi were also in the same forward line. Played elsewhere in the second half of the game.
Armo very busy, effective.
Newnes better and bulkier.
Siposs smart, precision kicking.
Shenton busy with some second half dash but like a lot of the 'B' team (in black jerseys) not as effective with the kicks as the 'A' team (in whites).
Skills overall and fitness look good.
Ledger gets busy but decision making suspect.
Roberton tall with shortish legs but didn't notice him much - third tall defender type.
First time at Seaford and surprised there is quite a strong incline from the freeway side toward the East Road side of the ground.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

8bloggs wrote: Lee didn't get into the action in the first half but Maister and Kosi were also in the same forward line..
That would make it difficult

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
8bloggs wrote: Lee didn't get into the action in the first half but Maister and Kosi were also in the same forward line..
That would make it difficult
But plenty are talking him up as third tall forward, so he'll have to get used to it.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
saintly wrote:did anyone go to last year's intra-club and if they can remember was this year's better?
numbers wise for attendance it would have to have been better this year
It was 9.30 on a Friday Morning 12 months to the date from yesterday ( was probably following Micks lead in having them during the week. This year membership and he conferred. :)
. just a few months into Scott's tenure. reports here

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=74474&p=1190517&hil ... 2#p1190517
Always been during the week in the past, usually Thursday or Friday evenings. By the way what does "12 months to the date from yesterday" mean? The date yesterday was the 9th, it was played on the 10th last year.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

So Newnes for Tommy Lynch is looking to be more and more a shrewd move

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well that does all sound quite promising... though still a few NAB games to go before one really knows what Round 1 team will be. Will Stanley be tried down back (personally I like him up forward, where he can also spell our ruck occasionally)

While it may have been nice for Lee to have starred in his first game...it is a big ask. He needs to build his body up to AFL level and get used to where his team-mates will kick etc.

With BJ and Gram going Siposs and Newnes look to be stepping up. Gut feel on Newnes is that he will eventually end up a full time rotating mid.

Ruck-wise it looks like Hickyt while still young will give us greater depth there while he learns the art o rukj and follower work.

There seems to be several options for another tall defender. It will be ineresting to see come the start of the H&A whether they lamb for the most promising tall youngster and try and develop him up in the seniors, or whether they continue to make do with an undersized defense built around Sam at FB.

Small forwards in 2013 we really have a glut of possibilities now: Milne, Schneider, Saad, Milera, TLD

Geary Sam Simpkin
Dempster Siposs Newnes
Gilbert Hayes Dal
Schneider Roo Stanley
Saad Maister Milne

Ben v Hickey (NAB to decide..)
Armo
Steven

Ray Joey Gwilt, Sub? Could be anyone. Might well be a different kid every couple of ames.

Jones, Kosi????

NAB will be interesting. Kosi needs to play some solid FOUR quarter games if he wants to hold his spot in the seniors.
Jones seemed to lose favour last year when he handballed rather than slotted an easy goal himself, and the team did not goal at all due to his hesitation.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
footynut
Club Player

SaintsRising I think you not far off the money, however I think they will be wanting to release fisher or siposs and will also want some more height down back.
Therefore I think it will look more like this:

Geary Stanley Simpkin
Dempster Fisher Siposs
Joey Hayes Dal
Schneider Roo Milera
Saad Maister Milne

Ben
Armo
Steven

Ray Gilbert Hickey
Sub: Newnes/Lee/Dunell (could be anyone)

avid
Club Player

footynut wrote:SaintsRising I think you not far off the money, however I think they will be wanting to release fisher or siposs and will also want some more height down back.
Therefore I think it will look more like this:

Geary Stanley Simpkin
Dempster Fisher Siposs
Joey Hayes Dal
Schneider Roo Milera
Saad Maister Milne

Ben
Armo
Steven

Ray Gilbert Hickey
Sub: Newnes/Lee/Dunell (could be anyone)
Very close to the money I think.
Except that Gwilt will get a game -- so Newnes or Milera would have to make way.
(I can hardly believe that Stanley will be our FB -- though I'd love it if it worked. So Simpkin to FB, Gwilt to BP and Stanley HFF.
There, I've picked it.)

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

saintly wrote:did anyone go to last year's intra-club and if they can remember was this year's better?
it was the best intranet club since '66.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Megamaguire
Club Player

Enjoyed the detailed report from St Ick especially his observation reg: Newness
'Has the poise of a veteran, strong yet silky just like Dal Santo'.
The form of Newness and Siposs impressed most it seems and their approach to the pre-season is very encouraging. Armo sounds like his fitness/ durability is right up there - he seemed to embrace the Colorado trip very enthusiastically and looks like he is determined to lead by example.
Hickey had a good one by most accounts and produced some of that much appreciated 'tap' work needed to compliment McAboy.
I think it was important to hear some positive outcomes from this hit-out and fingers crossed Beau Meister will just keep producing from here on.
Milney = infectious enthusiasm as usual - fantastic! As a Saints supporter I felt a bit blessed with the arrival of Simpkin to a team that had a reputation for neglecting to bring enough young talent to the club but with Newness and Siposs continually pushing for their own spots in the 22 it gives a lot of us plenty of hope.
Momentum of a positive nature I think is a very important component in the development of this new look Saints outfit under Watters and i'm very appreciative of the efforts of all those players like Armo,Steven,Siposs,Beau M. Ray, Hickey, Newness & Curran in driving the momentum forward.

G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
roskilde
SS Hall of Fame

thanks heaps for the great info guys, invaluable to us interstate supporters! :)

cant get enough of the intra club white jersey! wish it was our official away strip.

This was my father's belief
And this is also mine:
Let the corn be all one sheaf--
And the grapes be all one vine,
Ere our children's teeth are set on edge
By bitter bread and wine.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Was a pretty good standard game really, possibly because of the lack of defensive pressure. I would love to have known the stats on entries into 50 vs Scores .,.,, because Fwds weren't finding it too tough!

Probably highlighted by Maister, Milne, Saad, Milera all doing well.

Armo was good as a ball hunter.

Simpkin struggled a lot IMO contrary to popular belief. He was out pointed easily several times?

As did Blake.

Siposs played extremely well as a sweeper, especially early.... Reads and distributes out of the back half nicely...

Lots of positives in the game, not so much individually but ball movement patterns.

Megamaguire
Club Player

Re: Jim Gwilt

Avid said 'Very close to the money I think' regarding the team as it may stand at the moment.
'Except that Gwilt will get a game -- so Newnes or Milera would have to make way'.

Just want to echo Avid's point that Gwilt does bring very valuable depth and strength to the backline as well as being able to play tall.
As Footynut pointed out the coaches will probably be wanting 'to release fisher or siposs while adding some more height down back.'

Gwilt has the capability of returning to his best (rehab allowing) and with the AA Dempster holding the fort it can allow Chips and Siposs the luxury of heading up-field. That's the theory!
When Rd. 1 begins and the the real stuff of a full season is suddenly upon us we will definately need Gwilt to be bringing his A game to the fore.
I believe Ray and Gwilt are two senior players that will have an enormous influence on the Saints team of 2013. Indications are sounding good reg:Farren i'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the footy gods smile on us and allow Gwilt a full recovery and the chance to play regularly at the top of his game.

Very Happy to hear that young Newnes is developing well and that Terry Milera looked good last Sat. as well. Two exciting talents!

GOOD LUCK JIMMY G!

GO SAINTS!

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
gringo
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:So Newnes for Tommy Lynch is looking to be more and more a shrewd move

He's already done more for us than Tommygun did.

Old Mate
Saintsational Legend

I'm keen to see how Seb has progressed from last season. From the small glimpses of him last year I saw a composed player with good ball winning ability. He just needed to put on a bit of size and get amongst it a bit more.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

Megamaguire wrote:Enjoyed the detailed report from St Ick especially his observation reg: Newness
The form of Newness and Siposs impressed most it seems
You're most welcome I'm glad my ramblings could be appreciated. From very very early on in his career Dal became my favourite player. I have the same feeling about Newnes.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:
Megamaguire wrote:Enjoyed the detailed report from St Ick especially his observation reg: Newness
You're most welcome I'm glad my ramblings could be appreciated. From very very early on in his career Dal became my favourite player. I have the same feeling about Newnes.

Interesting. Does he have the tank for midfield yet?

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

bigcarl wrote:
St Ick wrote:

Interesting. Does he have the tank for midfield yet?
I would have thought bursts through midfield and half back. Has been doing very well in the time trials but I would only be guessing if I said he could. Good experience to try to shake a CJ tag at the intraclub though - thumbs up for Scotty for that.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!