NAB 1 & 2 - Game Day notes

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: NAB 1 & 2 - Game Day notes

Some good signs, probably outweighed by worrying signs though.... The lack of a tall back is gonna kill us all year...

A stupid format

How can a team who has just played 40 minutes of full intensity in 38degree heat supposed to compete with a fresh team???

How strange....

degruch
Saintsational Legend

AFL raising the bar on their usual treatment of the club today by ingorning their extreme heat rule (reducing halves to 15 minute each) and playing us for consecutive games in 38 degrees...trying to kill us now? I hope the club requests a WTF from the AFL over this, complete stupidity.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Andrew has got enough on his mind, with trying to explain the basket case that is his admin team...

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Let's remember that these are practice games.

On the positive side Hickey looks more than able to be a genuine ruck support to Ben. He hasa lot of upside.

Forward line looks to have ample options. TDL slotted in well, and so we hae more small forwards than we can play.

Armo I thought looks to have stepped up again. He looks to have a lot more confidence in his own game.

Siposs while still an apprentice, looks set to do ok in the BJ quarterback role.

The "old" Gwilt looks to be back.

Newne's impressed again in Game 1.

I liked ray's game, but then I am a Ray fan.

Main issue as per BM's post above is our lack of tall backs.We are going to be very, very, reliant on Sam fisher this year.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Watching the replay now! Nab Cup or not, its goods to see the Red White Black back on TV! Dont take anything from this first week, really hard. Will look more into it in round 2-onwards.

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

P66, please refer to the attached extreme heat policy regarding the Australian Open.

http://australian.open-tennis.com/austr ... at-policy/

As I said, run like a professional sport should be, not like the Amateur Football League our team is part of.

Just think of the legal ramifications if a player collapsed out there due to heat stress and ended up with a permanent condition. The AFL could be considered criminally negligent in it's duty to player safety.

There should have been longer breaks between halves and between games, actually scheduling games in mid February at 4.00 in the afternoon was just plain ridiculous and stupid.

Our guys will take two weeks to recover, just as well we aren't playing next week.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

WinnersOnly wrote:Seb Ross really concerns me he looks slow & never shows any sort of commitment. Early days but at least Webster commits to contests !
coming of being confimed to home last week due to the flu.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I thought we suffered from the heat in the second game and the umpiring didn't go our way either but Port came out hard and deserved a win. First game there was lots to like and probably a better guide. TDL adds an extra runner and confuses the opposition with his striking similarity with Tez from a distance. Our whole united nations small forward line looked pretty dangerous and Saad didn't embarrass himself away from goal either. Maister looks a good lead up forward. Lee showed brief glimpses. Hickey and Mac went well and the backline reloaded well and stood up. Siposs nearly took a Goddardesque spekky.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:TDL adds an extra runner and confuses the opposition with his striking similarity with Tez from a distance.
Hm, that's a good plan. Ray and Simpkin look similar so they should play close together. Riewoldt and Jones have always confused me. Maybe buy Scott McDonald from Boro and play him near Milne? We could have a whole team of lookalikes!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:A stupid format, How can a team who has just played 40 minutes of full intensity in 38 degree heat supposed to compete with a fresh team?
Yep, it is daft, but never expect a level playing field in the AFL. They are in the entertainment industry

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:Then again, one does have to question why the AFL's heat policy was not enforced. Surely there should ahve been longer breaks between games, in my mind at least a half hour. One has the wonder if the AFL's is concerned regarding the players welfare, or how much Foxtel spent to get the broadcast rights.
If this we're the Australian Open, except for games on the closed roof stadiums, games would have been suspended until the temperature dropped a few degrees.
But then Professional Tennis is a professionally run sport.
I hope, but it won't happen, that the club has a real go at the AFL for the scheduling of this fixture.
I doubt the tennis would have been called off. Also I think you may find we had a flight to catch so we may not have wanted the breaks extended.
3GS makes an extremely valid point which p66 has ignored and told a mistruth about the tennis.

The AFL is so gung-ho now about integrity of its teams and players and yet forgets about its own integrity and allows matches to be scheduled in Adelaide in the middle of Feb in the middle of the afternoon.

This game should have been played on Friday or Saturday night and the Collingwood/Essendon/Bulldogs game been played today under the roof and out of the sun.

Very poor by the AFL.

It's not as though this problem is new...There should be a blanket rule that says that no afternoon games in Perth or Brisbane in Autumn or Spring and add Adelaide to that in Summer.

Surely it's not that hard.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:There should be a blanket rule that says that no afternoon games in Perth or Brisbane in Autumn or Spring and add Adelaide to that in Summer.
It was pretty hot in Melbourne this arvo, shouldn't that also go on the list then? I don't think that would be a horrible rule - no arvo games in February unless they're in Hobart or Ballarat.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
gringo wrote:TDL adds an extra runner and confuses the opposition with his striking similarity with Tez from a distance.
Hm, that's a good plan. Ray and Simpkin look similar so they should play close together. Riewoldt and Jones have always confused me. Maybe buy Scott McDonald from Boro and play him near Milne? We could have a whole team of lookalikes!

There are actually triplets in Ray, Simpkin and Roberton...and all 3 could be in the same backline!

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

Heat was a huge factor, we looked sharp fresh out... port came out fresh and showed us up... surprise surprise when Adelaide came out after there break they rolled Port. 2nd game imo ment nothing due to the heat. Not judging any players on it... but... Kosi looked good in game two... nice clunk and Goal off a decent pass... was nice piece of footy. I was very happy with what i saw of the new boys running around out there today.(game 1)

How about the SM goal in game 1!!!!!!

Fortius Quo Fidelius
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Ahh the Amateur Football League's heat policy for yesterday, 2 extra water carriers.
Yes, there is no tanking, no drugs and it doesn't get hot in Adelaide in February.
Sad to say it, but it is going to take a tragedy to wake this mob up.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Ahh the Amateur Football League's heat policy for yesterday, 2 extra water carriers.
Yes, there is no tanking, no drugs and it doesn't get hot in Adelaide in February.
Sad to say it, but it is going to take a tragedy to wake this mob up.
If plugger is right and we had a flight back that evening, then it's clear the AFL wanted to cut costs.

Had it been a night game, with the Adelaide airport curfew, we would've needed a nights accom, that the AFL would've had to pay for.

Twilight Sunday is normal slot or the real season, but not relevant in mid Feb when you have no game the following week!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

bergholt wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:There should be a blanket rule that says that no afternoon games in Perth or Brisbane in Autumn or Spring and add Adelaide to that in Summer.
It was pretty hot in Melbourne this arvo, shouldn't that also go on the list then? I don't think that would be a horrible rule - no arvo games in February unless they're in Hobart or Ballarat.
True...But we have a roof on our stadium which takes the direct heat from the sun out of the equation.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
3rd generation saint wrote:Then again, one does have to question why the AFL's heat policy was not enforced. Surely there should ahve been longer breaks between games, in my mind at least a half hour. One has the wonder if the AFL's is concerned regarding the players welfare, or how much Foxtel spent to get the broadcast rights.
If this we're the Australian Open, except for games on the closed roof stadiums, games would have been suspended until the temperature dropped a few degrees.
But then Professional Tennis is a professionally run sport.
I hope, but it won't happen, that the club has a real go at the AFL for the scheduling of this fixture.
I doubt the tennis would have been called off. Also I think you may find we had a flight to catch so we may not have wanted the breaks extended.
3GS makes an extremely valid point which p66 has ignored and told a mistruth about the tennis.

The AFL is so gung-ho now about integrity of its teams and players and yet forgets about its own integrity and allows matches to be scheduled in Adelaide in the middle of Feb in the middle of the afternoon.

This game should have been played on Friday or Saturday night and the Collingwood/Essendon/Bulldogs game been played today under the roof and out of the sun.

Very poor by the AFL.

It's not as though this problem is new...There should be a blanket rule that says that no afternoon games in Perth or Brisbane in Autumn or Spring and add Adelaide to that in Summer.

Surely it's not that hard.

What was the mistruth about tennis? Please explain? Tennis has a wet bulb reading of around 36. Heat is only one element of it. humidity is the main element. No one mentioned humidity yesterday so I am guessing the heat was the main issue. I doubt very much they would have called the tennis off yesterday. Now I have told you why so instead of calling me a liar tell me why I am wrong.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

ShanghaiSaint wrote:Heat was a huge factor, we looked sharp fresh out... port came out fresh and showed us up...
You're probably right. But here are the seven changes to our team between the two games:

OUT: Milne, Blake, Geary, McEvoy, Roberton, Milera, Ledger
IN: Koschitzke, Dunell, Ferguson, Ross, Saunders, Shenton, Webster

Or rephrased:

OUT: a fair bit of experience and some guys in contention for the first team
IN: the whipping boy and six guys with a total of six games experience between them

So from that point of view it's not surprising we lost.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Well I think the tennis would have been called off.

In the middle of the afternoon with temps of 38 in the direct sun, it doesn't take a genius to figure that is extreme heat.
Australian Open Weather / Extreme Heat Policy wrote:The measurement of ‘Heat Stress’ is known as the wet bulb globe temperature and is a combination of ambient air temperature, wind speed, humidity and the intensity of solar radiation.
Humidity is listed as the third factor...not the most important...Another mistruth?

Don't get all defensive about being called a liar...I did not call you that as lying is an intentional act. I said that you told a mistruth. That is you represented a view that was proven to be incorrect. And you have now done it again.

Defend the AFL all you like but the common view is that the AFL handled the matches in yesterdays conditions poorly. It is very typical of the AFL management style of late.
Our sport is not meant to be played in 38 degree heat. Allowances should be made to aid the players.

I fear for all the teams playing in the middle of the afternoon if the temperature is extreme in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds where the interchange is capped at 80 and the games are full length.

It is a pointless competition and we'd be far better off playing scratch matches in March under normal season on-field rules with as many in the squad as teams saw fit...

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Yes, it was hot. We all agree on that. It was probably one of the reasons we didn't go so well in the second game. Other reasons could include; different personell on the park, fatigue v freshness, interstate at their home ground. It was Rd 1 of the nab cup. We move on !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:Well I think the tennis would have been called off.

In the middle of the afternoon with temps of 38 in the direct sun, it doesn't take a genius to figure that is extreme heat.
Australian Open Weather / Extreme Heat Policy wrote:The measurement of ‘Heat Stress’ is known as the wet bulb globe temperature and is a combination of ambient air temperature, wind speed, humidity and the intensity of solar radiation.
Humidity is listed as the third factor...not the most important...Another mistruth?

Don't get all defensive about being called a liar...I did not call you that as lying is an intentional act. I said that you told a mistruth. That is you represented a view that was proven to be incorrect. And you have now done it again.

Defend the AFL all you like but the common view is that the AFL handled the matches in yesterdays conditions poorly. It is very typical of the AFL management style of late.
Our sport is not meant to be played in 38 degree heat. Allowances should be made to aid the players.

I fear for all the teams playing in the middle of the afternoon if the temperature is extreme in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds where the interchange is capped at 80 and the games are full length.

It is a pointless competition and we'd be far better off playing scratch matches in March under normal season on-field rules with as many in the squad as teams saw fit...

Lets admit i was right and you were wrong. Its a combination. Listed 3rd why does that matter. The wet bulb is influenced heavily by humidity and yesterday there wasnt a mention of it. i have seen tennis played in outdoor courts when it is over 40 so how am I telling a mistruth. And that is the start of a game. i have also seen it stop at 35 because the combination got to 36 or whatever the figure is. And I aint defensive I am telling it like it is. The person said the tennis would called off and that isnt correct. Even you know that.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Seriously...If the indicator needs to get to 35 and you are already at 38 ambient temperature then you need a factor to reduce it to 35.
So an ambient temp of 32 plus a high humidity reading and strong, hot winds would push the reading higher, therefore calling a halt to the game.

Starting with an ambient temperature of 38.5 would need cooling factors to reduce the indicator to 35.

None of those factors existed. Ergo, the tennis would have, most likely, been postponed.

You can try and argue semantics all you like but the simple fact remains that the AFL did not handle yesterdays weather correctly or with the players welfare in mind. And that was the whole point of the tennis comparison.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:Seriously...If the indicator needs to get to 35 and you are already at 38 ambient temperature then you need a factor to reduce it to 35.
So an ambient temp of 32 plus a high humidity reading and strong, hot winds would push the reading higher, therefore calling a halt to the game.

Starting with an ambient temperature of 38.5 would need cooling factors to reduce the indicator to 35.

None of those factors existed. Ergo, the tennis would have, most likely, been postponed.

You can try and argue semantics all you like but the simple fact remains that the AFL did not handle yesterdays weather correctly or with the players welfare in mind. And that was the whole point of the tennis comparison.

You do realise that 35 isnt a temperature dont you? Its an indicator of certain things and then it is figure. I actually thought it was 36 but it could be 35.

And if people are going to make a comparison to something it needs to be right when it is a factual comparison. The tennis comparison wasnt right.

And if it was me playing yesterday I wouldnt be happy but we got through it without injuries and have 2 weeks to get ready for the next game so all is good. Or we could whinge and get upset and still nothing will be done.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:You do realise that 35 isnt a temperature dont you? Its an indicator of certain things and then it is figure. I actually thought it was 36 but it could be 35.
Pretty sure that it is a temperature. But you go on believing what you want despite the evidence presented.
plugger66 wrote:Or we could whinge and get upset and still nothing will be done.
I will guarantee you this, p66...If we don't whinge then nothing will be done.
The AFL need to be called out on yesterday. It is good to see that our coach thinks along a different path to you and has highlighted the club's concerns.

Just as well we are not all "yes men" like you.