SAINTS can’t afford to keep WATTERS!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Re: SAINTS can’t afford to keep WATTERS!

vacuous space wrote:Lyon's coaching a team that's still two thirds players who couldn't do anything right under Harvey. They're sitting just outside the top four. Watters has piloted a finals team into the bottom four. If anyone's not worried, I envy them. I can't be sure right now that Watters isn't the problem. I can't help but look at Freo's spot on the ladder and wonder what if.

It could be the list. It could be the lack of quality kids. It could equally be that the kids who were played under Lyon have been failed by Watters. I'd love to believe that, either way, we'll come good again because of the cyclical nature of the draft, but I don't. I don't see the draft working in cycles. Most good teams have very few early draft picks and most bad teams have a lot of them. As often as there's a team like Richmond, on the rise with a wealth of draftees due to a decade-plus of futility, there's Freos, Geelongs and Sydneys that have very little in the way of predestined superstars.

My worry is, in five years time, we'll be one of those teams that has a lot of picks and can't quite figure out why it hasn't made us into a good team. I was also worried this far into Lyon's term though. I don't think we can afford to needlessly pay two coaches like Carlton is. If things haven't turned by the end of Watters contract, I can't see him getting an extension. I don't think we have any choice but to be optimistic, but each loss makes it harder. Particularly when we're as far from it as we were today.
Agree on the Watters/Lyon thing about what if, but some of the facts are wishy washy IMO.
Every team has gone down to go back up, some just stay longer, mix of good drafting and luck.
Geelong has been blessed with generational father/sons, but drafted well, and most importantly developed well.
Swans were down the bottom to get McVeigh, Bolton, Goodes etc they are just lasting longer with fresh good talent and sensational trading.
Hawks were down, how else do they get Buddy, Roughy, Ellis, Lewis, Thorpe, Dowler etc. They actually didnt draft that well, but they have maintained their list beautifully.
Look at their team now, Gibson, Guerra, Lake, Gunstan, Hale, Burgoyne etc, fair % of their team all traded in.
It is cyclical, though i will agree that it just doesn't happen, it needs to be done well.
We do seem to however fall off the perch spectactularly when we fall.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

OURS LIST IS TERRIBLE. Our recruitment/development from 2006-2010 was abysmal - and now its time to pay the piper.

FFS

Leigh Matthews and Norm Smiths LOVE child could not do better.

Why do you think Lyon left?

FFS

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Mark Harvey had so many injuries at Freo that they were going to ask about playing WAFL players at one point because they thought he wasn't going to be able to field 22 fit players. Freo had already had their rebuild just got a bad luck year. A lot of freo supporters were ropeable about how he was ousted. Lyon got booed by Freo fans in his first couple of games.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Mark Harvey had so many injuries at Freo that they were going to ask about playing WAFL players at one point because they thought he wasn't going to be able to field 22 fit players. Freo had already had their rebuild just got a bad luck year. A lot of freo supporters were ropeable about how he was ousted. Lyon got booed by Freo fans in his first couple of games.

Until they realised wht they had got.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:OURS LIST IS TERRIBLE. Our recruitment/development from 2006-2010 was abysmal - and now its time to pay the piper.

FFS

Leigh Matthews and Norm Smiths LOVE child could not do better.

Why do you think Lyon left?

FFS
Are you calling Leigh Matthews a gay necrophiliac? Shame on you con.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:Mark Harvey had so many injuries at Freo that they were going to ask about playing WAFL players at one point because they thought he wasn't going to be able to field 22 fit players. Freo had already had their rebuild just got a bad luck year. A lot of freo supporters were ropeable about how he was ousted. Lyon got booed by Freo fans in his first couple of games.

They will boo him again when he leaves

Saints94
SS Life Member

maverick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

They will boo him again when he leaves
As he is a career coach :wink:

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

maverick wrote:They will boo him again when he leaves
No - they will be saying "Boo-urns, Boo-urns"...........excellent........

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
FFS
Are you calling Leigh Matthews a gay necrophiliac? Shame on you con.[/quote]

:D :D :D

What about some kind of weird cloning?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Watters needs to improve strategically.....

But right now individual player development is probably more important anyway... I think he is OK in that area

Must see improvement in

Stanley, Siposs, Ross, Newnes, Webster, Saad, Curran, Murdoch, Saunders, Wright, White, Lee, Minchington, Pierce, Staley.

Next season

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Buckets wrote:The bolded is absolute crap.
It's hyperbolic at worst and that's a pretty ordinary response.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Saints94 wrote: As he is a career coach :wink:
That line right there is why I'm surprised some people still think he left for any other reason, regardless of what he'd have you believe.

Buckets
SS Life Member

vacuous space wrote:
Buckets wrote:The bolded is absolute crap.
It's hyperbolic at worst and that's a pretty ordinary response.

Hyperbolic? More like a straight out mistruth.
Why not quote the rest of my post? Does it not represent what you want to get across?
Lyon is being treated like the Messiah for what is happening to Freo and its an absolute joke.
Harvey was looking to getting players from the WAFL because of the injuries. Yet his players couldn't do anything right?
For heaven's sake the guy had only taken them to a Finals series the year before.

And before people say that they don't have the Top players, I would point them to the following players:

Hill
Fyfe
Mundy
Barlow
Clarke
Pavlich
Sandilands
Crowley
Johnson
McPharlin
Ballantyne
Pearce

The above are pretty bloody handy to have and I would suggest that most would fit into our line up very easily.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Buckets wrote:Why not quote the rest of my post?
Why would I? I wasn't responding to it.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Well said!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
MrCordz
Club Player

sasaint wrote:Gotta sympathise with Winnersonly. I do not see much improvement in the team even given the personnel available. Game plan seems to be all over the place. A developing team should be emphasising the basics. How many tackles are sticking? What is the forward structure? Why are there so many holes in the defensive zone? Watters has a really tough gig and so far I think he is struggling. :(
+1

Humbly St. Kilda
Buckets
SS Life Member

vacuous space wrote:
Buckets wrote:Why not quote the rest of my post?
Why would I? I wasn't responding to it.

But why? Or is it simply that my points are valid and hold more weight in the discussion?
You still have yet to show how I am wrong with my statement?

vacuous space
SS Life Member

maverick wrote:It is cyclical, though i will agree that it just doesn't happen, it needs to be done well.
I don't see a cycle. Sydney missed the finals for a year and then a couple of years later won another flag. They've gone up, won a couple of flags, gone down, gone up, won a flag and in the meantime Richmond hasn't made the finals once. Teams don't go up and down with the kind of uniformity that would imply a cycle. They go up and down at seemingly random and unpredictable intervals.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

They may boo him again !
watching them play the cats reminded me how we became so well drilled we lost the ability to score .
freo had 9 shots to cats 30 !
when lyon took over from thomas we were averaging 30 shots a game , by the end against good sides it was less than 15 !
9 times out of 10 , you'll beat the average sides , but against the good one's if they kick more than 75 points , they'll usually win !
Freo need things to go there way come finals time , if they are lucky , they can be premiers !

In red white and black from 73
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Do you forget to score as much as run out of legs?

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Buckets wrote:You still have yet to show how I am wrong with my statement?
Perhaps that's where the misunderstanding lies. I'm not trying to prove you wrong. I thought your response to me was rude, I made that point and I'm just going to leave it there. You can do with that what you will. You can rant all you want about how unfairly treated Harvey was and what a scoundrel Lyon is. I'm not going to respond to any of it, because I don't want to.

I only quoted what I'm responding to. I don't believe I have misrepresented your position on anything by truncating. I've just made it easier for people reading to know what I'm responding to. That's how quoting works.

howlinwolf
Club Player

There are similar grumblings over at Carlton about Mick.
There is word going around that Mick is not happy with the list and doesn't see success with it.
End of year clean out coming according to Finey.
Now I wouldn't say Malthouse can't coach. If the list isn't right even a good coach can't produce results.
I would say Carlton's list is better than ours at present so don't see any need to be pulling the rug out from Scott.
Let's get our list right and steady and then see what he can do.We have enough instability with the list without doing the same with the coach.

The playing group is in a state of massive change and the results are to be expected.

Robert Harvey's last home game. 24 Aug 2008
StKilda 13.17 def Adelaide 6.11
Buckets
SS Life Member

vacuous space wrote:
Buckets wrote:You still have yet to show how I am wrong with my statement?
Perhaps that's where the misunderstanding lies. I'm not trying to prove you wrong. I thought your response to me was rude, I made that point and I'm just going to leave it there. You can do with that what you will. You can rant all you want about how unfairly treated Harvey was and what a scoundrel Lyon is. I'm not going to respond to any of it, because I don't want to.

I only quoted what I'm responding to. I don't believe I have misrepresented your position on anything by truncating. I've just made it easier for people reading to know what I'm responding to. That's how quoting works.

So your angry that I bolded part of your argument called it crap then looked deeper at the problems facing Freo before the red carpet was rolled out for Ross...
Boy oh Boy Wowee!

Never attacked you as a person never attacked Lyon went the facts and that does not suit your thinking or agenda of not wanting Watters as the Coach. I had a go at your statement of supposed fact and that was wrong, but your too focussed on the word Crap...thin skinned much?

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Here we go, as has been said before, blame the coach, all the coaches fault, yes and the boards and everyone's fault, we don't like the team now, burn our memberships, don't renew, which of course just makes things worse for the club by these feeble minded, bandwagon supporters who only enjoy the good times.
Strange how some of these same people have been predicting this demise for the last couple of seasons, and when it finally comes, like the rats, they're the first ones to jump off.
Did you watch the Port Collingwood game Saturday, Collingwood looked as bad as us, dispirited, couldn't hit targets past the midfield, because they kept looking for Cloke, while we just look for Roo.
Sadly, losing consistently does effect you, you end up going into self preservation, it's a human condition.
I said it earlier this season when it was apparent that this was going to happen, this season isn't about winning or losing, it is about long overdue blooding of draft picks and getting game time into them. Something we didn't do from 2007-2011.
Instead we kept giving games to Eddie and McQualter at the expense of Stevens, Armitage etc. Imagine how much better they could have been if they were given the game time while we were at the top, seems to have worked down at Geelong.
Also have a look at Watters press conference, he spelt out what is wrong with the team, he knows the sort of players we need to recruit and has left no bones about the fact we are in the market.
The real judgement on the club will come during the trade and draft periods, however, I will spell out for me, our number 1 and 2 picks should be off the market.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Excellent post 3rd gen!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)