Dal Santo to North Melbourne

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ljpoyz
Club Player

Re: Dal Santo to North Melbourne

This is the best post I have read of your 9918.
Con Gorozidis wrote: But as I said I dont want to be a retirement village for the class of 09 so players can cruise around and go through the motions getting some superannuation and the fans can get a thrill one day a year with 'send off games' and 'tributes'. Screw that. Lets start building for our next flag. The past is gone. I dont get any comfort from the fact we were good 4 years ago. No comfort at all.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:
:lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
seriously wayno, why?

Hallalj#3
Club Player

Just reported on Superfooty suggesting Luke Delaney And pick 26 for Dal I say take it.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Hallalj#3 wrote:Just reported on Superfooty suggesting Luke Delaney And pick 26 for Dal I say take it.

quite frankly makes me feel sick

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Hallalj#3 wrote:Just reported on Superfooty suggesting Luke Delaney And pick 26 for Dal I say take it.
Sounds like a realistic trade, but if that's all we're going to get then I'd probably keep him. If the draft pick was less than 20 then I'd be hard pressed to say no.

ShanghaiSaint
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
Sounds like a realistic trade, but if that's all we're going to get then I'd probably keep him. If the draft pick was less than 20 then I'd be hard pressed to say no.
throw in Daw!!!!

Fortius Quo Fidelius
PurpleHayes
Club Player

What is Delaney worth on his own? If he walks from north we could get him in pre season draft could we not?

I'd suggest Dal and pick 55 for pick 26 and 43 would be better.

That would give us picks 3, 21, 26, 37, 43, 73, 91 etc..

5 picks in top 50 would be very handy...Or will Pelchen try to package up 21 and 26 for late a 1st round pick?

suss
Club Player

Without wanting to sound like p66, why would you get rid of a champion player with 3 years good service left in him for someone most people haven't heard of?

bergsone
SS Life Member

Cant believe what I am reading here,moving on NDS,isnt that what everyone been saying all year...................we need players who use the footy,not abuse it :evil:

Buckets
SS Life Member

Dal for pick 26 and Delany is a loss for us!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
Buckets
SS Life Member

If Dal was to go, I would rather he left as a free agent. Would be likely to get a 1st band compo for him. Which would technically be the pick after our first round pick, effectively giving us 3 and 4...

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
savatage
SS Life Member

Well humour me for a second.

Say it was Dal for pick 26 & Delaney. We would then probably use 26 on Josh Bruce & maybe even negotiate some change from that deal from GWS.

That immediately fills our key defensive posts in exchange for one player who will start next season at 30. Yes I know it's sad in many respects - but we're in the business of winning games of football - we need to improve the massive holes in our list & key defense was one of our biggest gaping holes this season.

bergsone
SS Life Member

[quote="savatage"]Well humour me for a second.

Say it was Dal for pick 26 & Delaney. We would then probably use 26 on Josh Bruce & maybe even negotiate some change from that deal from GWS.

That immediately fills our key defensive posts in exchange for one player who will start next season at 30. Yes I know it's sad in many respects - but we're in the business of winning games of football - we need to improve the massive holes in our list & key defense was one of our biggest gaping holes this season.[/

Give you one thing filling key defense post will be important....cause the ball will be down there a lot

savatage
SS Life Member

bergsone wrote:
savatage wrote:Well humour me for a second.

That immediately fills our key defensive posts in exchange for one player who will start next season at 30. Yes I know it's sad in many respects - but we're in the business of winning games of football - we need to improve the massive holes in our list & key defense was one of our biggest gaping holes this season.[/

Give you one thing filling key defense post will be important....cause the ball will be down there a lot
That would have nothing to do with Dal Santo being in or out of the side.

Easiest strategy a coach had this year. Whoever their tallest player was, even a hack ruckman - put him down to full forward because you will score easily.

We all know we need key defenders & midfielders. Midfielders we will draft with our first couple of picks - getting ready made key defenders is much more challenging & trading is the only way we will do it.

If not Dal, then someone else. This is reality.

Aside from the loyalty aspect - at 30, he has 2 or 3 years left in the big league. St.Kilda will not win a premiership keeping him & expecting the rest to just happen.

The part I don't understand is that for the majority of the year Saintsational was full of people saying how shithouse Dal Santo was - now when there is speculation that we're trading him - it's now a taboo topic & it's full of outrage.

I like Nicky Dal myself - but when he's one of the few players in the side with some trade currency - it could definitely be win/win.

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Delaney is worth nothing, so it is effectively Dal for a second rounder. We are getting screwed.
IMHO North would need to sweeten the deal more than just that.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:
:lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
seriously wayno, why?
I'ts a fan forum, you have an opinion, I might even have one, it doesn't have to be like yours or anyone else's, it's only an opinion.

It's not harmful, it really has no lasting effect. :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Buckets wrote:If Dal was to go, I would rather he left as a free agent. Would be likely to get a 1st band compo for him. Which would technically be the pick after our first round pick, effectively giving us 3 and 4...
He is contracted so cannot leave as a free agent
He definitely wont be band 1 compensation because he will be 30 at season start so would probably only be getting a 2 year contract from a rival club. Even if he gets a 3 year contract at a rival club it would not be band 1. At best wed get a pick at the end of round 1 (pick 20) but more realistically because of his age it could be a second round pick.

I dont think anyone is suggesting a straight swap Dal for Delaney would be good enough but pick 27 + Delaney would be about right I reckon.

sax
Club Player

:D
Con Gorozidis wrote:
Buckets wrote:If Dal was to go, I would rather he left as a free agent. Would be likely to get a 1st band compo for him. Which would technically be the pick after our first round pick, effectively giving us 3 and 4...
He is contracted so cannot leave as a free agent
He definitely wont be band 1 compensation because he will be 30 at season start so would probably only be getting a 2 year contract from a rival club. Even if he gets a 3 year contract at a rival club it would not be band 1. At best wed get a pick at the end of round 1 (pick 20) but more realistically because of his age it could be a second round pick.

I dont think anyone is suggesting a straight swap Dal for Delaney would be good enough but pick 27 + Delaney would be about right I reckon.
Or they could give us Greenwood as well! :D

Foundation Social Club Member No. 296
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:
savatage wrote:Well humour me for a second.

That immediately fills our key defensive posts in exchange for one player who will start next season at 30. Yes I know it's sad in many respects - but we're in the business of winning games of football - we need to improve the massive holes in our list & key defense was one of our biggest gaping holes this season.

True. But it already is. Last time I looked we finished 3rd last and Dal was our 5th ranked clearance player and 7th ranked tackler so not sure he was doing that much to stop the ball heading down back anyways.

If we fill our defensive posts then we can use our top 2 picks (3 and 22) on young midfielders.

Luke Delaney on youtube

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:

quite frankly makes me feel sick
Dal played every game this year yet only finished 6th in the B&F either he is not effective enough or the club doesn't rate him.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

Throw in currie and we have a deal. On trade the pick with macca for tyson and bruce.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

For everyone considering Norths second round pick, there is a very strong chance that Melbourne, Collingwood, Hawthorn at least will have received a compo pick by the time pick 26/27 comes about. So we are now talking a pick closer to pick 30, in a draft that drops off dramatically after pick 20.

If its not a pick situated around 10-15 then he is worth more to our list. If north don't have that pick, then one of their gun kids like Cunnington or Harper (even writing this its unlikely) might need to come our way as well as Delaney. They won't get him on the cheap considering his contract clause and pick 30 is getting bent over. We have the upper hand and if other clubs are keen, who have a pick where we want, ie, Hawks (Buddy compo) or the Pies(that would be tough to swallow but no Daisy, Dids, Etc would mean cash to splash), then we'll just move our attention to them.

As stated, FA compo would be middle to late first round due to age and contract length, middle second round will get pushed back 3/4 spots also

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Ick wrote:For everyone considering Norths second round pick, there is a very strong chance that Melbourne, Collingwood, Hawthorn at least will have received a compo pick by the time pick 26/27 comes about. So we are now talking a pick closer to pick 30, in a draft that drops off dramatically after pick 20.

If its not a pick situated around 10-15 then he is worth more to our list. If north don't have that pick, then one of their gun kids like Cunnington or Harper (even writing this its unlikely) might need to come our way as well as Delaney. They won't get him on the cheap considering his contract clause and pick 30 is getting bent over. We have the upper hand and if other clubs are keen, who have a pick where we want, ie, Hawks (Buddy compo) or the Pies(that would be tough to swallow but no Daisy, Dids, Etc would mean cash to splash), then we'll just move our attention to them.

As stated, FA compo would be middle to late first round due to age and contract length, middle second round will get pushed back 3/4 spots also

No hope of a first round in FA. Will be second round. I agree we shouldnt lose Dal for close to pick 30 but I dont like all these ideas of getting basically seconds players from other clubs. Said on another thread why we shouldnt do it but it seems this is going to be our method. They would want to be better than have shown. Look how losing BJ and Gram effected us this year. dal will have a huge effect again next season. lets face it though, he is gone so we need to do the right thing by the club.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
St Ick wrote:For everyone considering Norths second round pick, there is a very strong chance that Melbourne, Collingwood, Hawthorn at least will have received a compo pick by the time pick 26/27 comes about. So we are now talking a pick closer to pick 30, in a draft that drops off dramatically after pick 20.

No hope of a first round in FA. Will be second round. I agree we shouldnt lose Dal for close to pick 30 but I dont like all these ideas of getting basically seconds players from other clubs. Said on another thread why we shouldnt do it but it seems this is going to be our method. They would want to be better than have shown. Look how losing BJ and Gram effected us this year. dal will have a huge effect again next season. lets face it though, he is gone so we need to do the right thing by the club.
Sorry, typo, that was meant to read FA compo would be middle to late second round, NOT first.

I typed into the other thread, but those two 21 year olds (Viv n Josh) are better than what a pick worse than 40 could net us and have three year of development and good to go and grow with our group.

Agree too that losing Gram and BJ put us behind, but on the flip side it gave responsibility and experience to Wright, Jimmy, Newnes etc who may not have gotten that chance with those guys.

I must say though, I don't feel entirely comfortable about moving Dal on.

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
footynut
Club Player

Must play hard ball with Dal, and demand a top 15 pick. I don't think Delaney is the answer