I love Ross Lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: I love Ross Lyon

gringo wrote:To me Ross Lyon's failing are not match day ones as he's probably as good as any. He fails in development and promotional stuff. He has a better team to work with at Freo because under harvey injury forced him to play nearly every listed player. Because of that they run very deep and are going to be able to cover more injuries than we could. He will have a very good chance at winning with the team he has if they stay fit.

freo recognised his failings and have set contingencies to avoid what we have been left with. We probably needed someone in the Pelchen role 5 years earlier so we managed him badly too but we only found out in hindsight. We will have trained Ross up to be an even better coach through his experience gained too. We can probably blame our core stars who would not compromise wages to bring in some better experienced players like Hawks did with gibson, Hale and Lake too.

I happy to say I pretty much agree with that. Like all coaches he got better with experience as SW will and as every coach does. And thats why winning a preimership doesnt make you a great coach and visa versa. Chris Scott would be a better coach now that year one when he won the flag but they didnt win it this year. Sometimes the list just isnt good enough and sometimes like in Scotts first year you have the best list and can win even with an inexperienced coach.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
gringo wrote:To me Ross Lyon's failing are not match day ones as he's probably as good as any. He fails in development and promotional stuff. He has a better team to work with at Freo because under harvey injury forced him to play nearly every listed player. Because of that they run very deep and are going to be able to cover more injuries than we could. He will have a very good chance at winning with the team he has if they stay fit.

freo recognised his failings and have set contingencies to avoid what we have been left with. We probably needed someone in the Pelchen role 5 years earlier so we managed him badly too but we only found out in hindsight. We will have trained Ross up to be an even better coach through his experience gained too. We can probably blame our core stars who would not compromise wages to bring in some better experienced players like Hawks did with gibson, Hale and Lake too.

I happy to say I pretty much agree with that. Like all coaches he got better with experience as SW will and as every coach does. And thats why winning a preimership doesnt make you a great coach and visa versa. Chris Scott would be a better coach now that year one when he won the flag but they didnt win it this year. Sometimes the list just isnt good enough and sometimes like in Scotts first year you have the best list and can win even with an inexperienced coach.

s*** we agree. I'm depressed.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Re: I love Ross Lyon - too

Joffa Burns wrote:Nick Reiwoldt loves Ross Lyon!!!

I was at a breakfast this morning with a couple of hundred others where Richo, Billy Bronwless & Rooey were in a panel answering questions from dikwad Andrew Startin.

When asked who would win the flag Rooey said "Freo to beat Sydney and Hawthorn to beat Geelong then Freo to strangle Hawthorn in the GF in a similar fashion to Sydney beating them last year".
He went on to say that "Freo would win as they have Ross Lyon who is easily the best coach in the AFL".

I wonder what Scott 'oompa loompa' Watters would think of that comment?

In regard to FW Malthouse supposedly not rating Ross Lyon, he didn't mind recruiting Maxy H & Luke Ball and implementing the Ross Lyon forward press in 2010!
Why does that prove that Riewoldt loves Lyon? All that it proves is that he respects Lyon, doesn't mean he has to like him.

Enough of the nice men in suits. Bring in some admin who demand success!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Of course Roo loves Lyon...

That was never in question?

All the senior players adore him.

paulski
Club Player

Just spoke to a mate of mine who works for Hugo Boss and fitted out Rooey for the Brownlow the other day. He spent a good hour with him and says he's a top bloke. Roo said losing Lyon was terrible for the club, obviously rates him as a coach, didn't mention Watters. Also said we had a bad year, but it didn't seem like a 5 win year. Said he's off to USA for 3 months, 3rd month with Saints. Says the players aren't fans of Seaford, that they used to love Moorabbin even though it was run down. Mentioned heading down to Brighton for lunch, but now they're stuck at Seaford and have to eat the same healthy food most days.
Sorry, hardly groundbreaking stuff, if I'd known he was seeing him I would've loaded him with questions, but I just thought I'd share it. Cheers.

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

SainterK wrote:Of course Roo loves Lyon...

Not what I heard, and this comes from a friend who knows one of the senior players. And no, I'm not just making this up because I'm angry that Lyon left.

Enough of the nice men in suits. Bring in some admin who demand success!
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:

Not what I heard, and this comes from a friend who knows one of the senior players. And no, I'm not just making this up because I'm angry that Lyon left.
What did you hear because i'm sure Roo has only ever talked positively about Lyin :?:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Moods
Saintsational Legend

paulski wrote:Just spoke to a mate of mine who works for Hugo Boss and fitted out Rooey for the Brownlow the other day. He spent a good hour with him and says he's a top bloke. Roo said losing Lyon was terrible for the club, obviously rates him as a coach, didn't mention Watters. Also said we had a bad year, but it didn't seem like a 5 win year. Said he's off to USA for 3 months, 3rd month with Saints. Says the players aren't fans of Seaford, that they used to love Moorabbin even though it was run down. Mentioned heading down to Brighton for lunch, but now they're stuck at Seaford and have to eat the same healthy food most days.
Sorry, hardly groundbreaking stuff, if I'd known he was seeing him I would've loaded him with questions, but I just thought I'd share it. Cheers.

That's disappointing to hear to be frank. We may not be on the up until we have a totally different group of players who don't know what they are missing being closer to town and are just grateful being on an AFL list.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
paulski wrote:Just spoke to a mate of mine who works for Hugo Boss and fitted out Rooey for the Brownlow the other day. He spent a good hour with him and says he's a top bloke. Roo said losing Lyon was terrible for the club, obviously rates him as a coach, didn't mention Watters. Also said we had a bad year, but it didn't seem like a 5 win year. Said he's off to USA for 3 months, 3rd month with Saints. Says the players aren't fans of Seaford, that they used to love Moorabbin even though it was run down. Mentioned heading down to Brighton for lunch, but now they're stuck at Seaford and have to eat the same healthy food most days.

That's disappointing to hear to be frank. We may not be on the up until we have a totally different group of players who don't know what they are missing being closer to town and are just grateful being on an AFL list.
maybe that's why most of the older guys are being mentioned as trade bait

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Both decision poor management decisions

Moods
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Both decision poor management decisions

Quite possibly. But we need to get on with the job, rather than looking back at how much we loved it at Moorabbin

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote: But we need to get on with the job, rather than looking back at how much we loved it at Moorabbin

We have to keep looking back, or half the threads on the forum will disappear. :wink:

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:
Moods wrote: But we need to get on with the job, rather than looking back at how much we loved it at Moorabbin

We have to keep looking back, or half the threads on the forum will disappear. :wink:

True... :lol:

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:Is that multi premiership coach MM you are referring to?
premiership player Luke Ball who master coach wanted to play in Magoos.
One day Lyon may be able to be called a great coach, but premature until he wins a flag!
It might happen next week

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
lloyd21
Club Player

Yes I think people should recognise Ross the 1st people he sort out after Stkfc game were Blake Kosi Milne.

& tonight it was Jude Bolton all class regardless what happens next week he understands football and what makes it

great game.

annabelle

I love Ross and still feel disappointed in the club for losing him. Can't let go of the past because the future looks bleak for poor old saints under Watters.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:

I dont get your point but I do know a year after RL left he went to Rooys wedding as did GT and a year after SW had coached he didnt go. The older players loved RL. There is no doubt on that.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Ok Plugger you flog. You are best mates with all the players. In your mind you are on a half fwd flank.
Who do you want as coach and tell me your plan for the future .
You are an expert at dishing out criticism but you have never ever ever given an idea for a plan to help us up from 16th.
Im all ears.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Ok Plugger you flog. You are best mates with all the players. In your mind you are on a half fwd flank.
Who do you want as coach and tell me your plan for the future .
You are an expert at dishing out criticism but you have never ever ever given an idea for a plan to help us up from 16th.
Im all ears.

Still on the grog. Why are you asking these questions Con. It has nothing to do with my previous comment at all. By the way Con I have no plans to improve us because i dont think the club want to improve next year or maybe even the year after. I will get back to after the trade period as I need to see what direction the club is going. Hope the hangover isnt to bad today.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

He's a sniper.... Pure and simple

A person who replies with pot shots but never makes the play....

Played against guys like him.... I refer to them as cats, or soft c*cks....

BTW
The argument is this
Club decision is right, they have the knowledge? Until of course the decisions are wrong?!
I'm not sure why we have a forum, we should just be thankful we have people in place to think for us, and make correct decisions all the time?! Our results clearly show that we have nothing to moan about???

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:He's a sniper.... Pure and simple

A person who replies with pot shots but never makes the play....

Played against guys like him.... I refer to them as cats, or soft c*cks....

BTW
The argument is this
Club decision is right, they have the knowledge? Until of course the decisions are wrong?!
I'm not sure why we have a forum, we should just be thankful we have people in place to think for us, and make correct decisions all the time?! Our results clearly show that we have nothing to moan about???

Talking of gutless.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

annabelle wrote:I love Ross and still feel disappointed in the club for losing him. Can't let go of the past because the future looks bleak for poor old saints under Watters.
Is that you Fine?

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

"He didn't have to cut us off,
And he didn't have to stoop so low,
Now he's just somebody that we used to know..."