We have lost our identity

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Re: We have lost our identity

SinCitySainter wrote: Frankston and the peninsula should be the cornerstone of our marketing push.
It is a growing area with no strong ties to any specific club.
Make Frankston Black Red and White.
We should be working with Frankston council to expand our presence in the area.
Open discussion between the AFL, the Frankston Council and us about a 25K seater stadium in Frankston with us as the primary tenant.
Geelong get the Bellerine peninsula we get the Mornington Peninsula all other clubs in the city.
We are not a big enough club to fight Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon etc... toe to toe, so we need to find a differentiating factor.
Why not make Frankston that factor?
Absolutely spot on SCS.

The non powerhouse clubs need to keep an eye on the long game. The Bulldogs play to the whole Western Suburbs and that helps to keep them viable in the eyes of the AFL and indeed State Governments etc. Melbourne survives because "they invented the game" and because their name is Melbourne. That leaves the two most at risk clubs as the Saints and the Kangaroos.

We need to firmly associate ourselves with the entire eastern side of the bay, as much as that may upset some latte drinking, cake munching inner city Supporters and Players.

Forget the suburb we're named after and left decades ago. Forget the suburb we're not even named after and who, in the end, didn't want us. Let's identify with a whole bloody Peninsula!

And leave those Shinboners to occupy the AFL's rationalisation crosshairs :wink:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Yep.

How cool would it be if the sorrento ferry was red black & white

Kickit
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
SinCitySainter wrote: Frankston and the peninsula should be the cornerstone of our marketing push.
Open discussion between the AFL, the Frankston Council and us about a 25K seater stadium in Frankston with us as the primary tenant.
Geelong get the Bellerine peninsula we get the Mornington Peninsula all other clubs in the city.
We are not a big enough club to fight Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon etc... toe to toe, so we need to find a differentiating factor.
Absolutely spot on SCS.

The non powerhouse clubs need to keep an eye on the long game. The Bulldogs play to the whole Western Suburbs and that helps to keep them viable in the eyes of the AFL and indeed State Governments etc. Melbourne survives because "they invented the game" and because their name is Melbourne. That leaves the two most at risk clubs as the Saints and the Kangaroos.

We need to firmly associate ourselves with the entire eastern side of the bay, as much as that may upset some latte drinking, cake munching inner city Supporters and Players.

Forget the suburb we're named after and left decades ago. Forget the suburb we're not even named after and who, in the end, didn't want us. Let's identify with a whole bloody Peninsula!

And leave those Shinboners to occupy the AFL's rationalisation crosshairs :wink:
The whole area demographic thing is crap nowadays anyway. Its a national contest. Already we have Gold Coast suns supporters sprouting up in Victoria ( though if I knew where these weirdo's were going to sprout from I'd put roundup there. ). Having said that , I don't think I've ever met as many North supporters as I did up Wagga way, and I'd be quite happy to advocate sending them to Albury ( Well Albury IS north of Melbourne ).

SinCitySainter
Club Player

Kickit wrote:
The whole area demographic thing is crap nowadays anyway. Its a national contest. Already we have Gold Coast suns supporters sprouting up in Victoria ( though if I knew where these weirdo's were going to sprout from I'd put roundup there. ). Having said that , I don't think I've ever met as many North supporters as I did up Wagga way, and I'd be quite happy to advocate sending them to Albury ( Well Albury IS north of Melbourne ).
It isn't crap at all, You are right it is a national contest but relating to a specific area is certainly still a viable marketing strategy.
It has to be two way though an area will only embrace a club if that club actively embrace the area.
Look what Hawthorn did in Tassie we tried but we didn't embrace the area like the Hawks did even though our history with Tassie runs far deeper than theirs.
Geelong own the Bellerine peninsula because it is their area.
It will take a long time to convert Frankston and the Mornington Peninsula into a Saints stronghold but it can be done.
It will though take buy in from the club and the council.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Kickit wrote: The whole area demographic thing is crap nowadays anyway. Its a national contest. Already we have Gold Coast suns supporters sprouting up in Victoria ( though if I knew where these weirdo's were going to sprout from I'd put roundup there. ). Having said that , I don't think I've ever met as many North supporters as I did up Wagga way, and I'd be quite happy to advocate sending them to Albury ( Well Albury IS north of Melbourne ).
It's not just about everyone in an area barracking for a club. It's about a club "owning" that area; "identifying" with that area. Having a presence; conducting clinics etc.

To some these things may seem pretty meaningless, however it does provide the club with a profile. That can then be used in regards to sponsorship and membership drives.

And it can be most helpful when the AFL looks into the future of the game; considers how many clubs are based in Melbourne and asks the question "what does that club represent?"

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

A billboard on eastlink as you hit the frankston freeway, with some young guns and next years slogan...

Home of the saints.

They actually aren't that dear.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:A billboard on eastlink as you hit the frankston freeway, with some young guns and next years slogan...

Home of the saints.

Maybe we can pay for them over, oh I don't know, say....... 9 years :wink:

jamesmc
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:My early years following the Saints were at the Junction oval. When we moved to Moorabbin I felt like a lot of the current fans do about Seaford. Moorabin seemed so far from anything. But after a couple of seasons Moorabin felt like home, but we were playing our games there, that helped to make it acceptable as home. That is the huge disadvantage that Seaford has, it is only a training ground.
So what's it matter, if they only train there? How many training sessions do you go to?

jamesmc
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
SainterK wrote:A billboard on eastlink as you hit the frankston freeway, with some young guns and next years slogan...

Home of the saints.

God i'm soooo over you trying to be the funny oneliner man. Christ you do my head in :evil:

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

jamesmc wrote:
Dr Spaceman wrote:

Home of the saints.

God i'm soooo over you trying to be the funny oneliner man. Christ you do my head in :evil:
I don't think we can blame the good Doctor for the state of your head.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

SinCitySainter wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
Hawthotn has embraced their fans.

The Saints under Westaway ostracised ours.

I cannot fathom why anyone thinks GW was good for our club.

He has destroyed the club.
What a load of over blown clap trap. "He has destroyed the club."
What next "The sky is falling, the sky is falling."
I am not a great fan of what GW did as I felt he did not attack the market as well as he could have.
But the club has not been destroyed not even close.

We need a president who has a long term plan for growing the club.
Westaway was reactive we need a proactive leader who will aggressively market our club.
Frankston and the peninsula should be the cornerstone of our marketing push.
Can you make a list of the positive GW era initiatives? Perhaps I am wildly wrong and there are a lot of wonderful initiatives that i do not know about.

Now yes I was a bit colorful in my language, but I did it to make a point. With the seasons we were having the GW administration should have been setting us up in a very sound position.

Yet the PR machine would have you believe that the schoolgirl affair was all by itself enough to derail the club. Well if it was, it was due to gross incompetence to have the club in such a fragile state.

Just in a few seconds you were able to dream up some good initiatives. GW had a whole reign and did little.

Let us hope that the new President can fire up the whole Board to achieve more.

The clubs that succeed the most on-field are also the ones that do the best offield. Coincidence ? i think not.

The Tiges in recent years sorted themselves out offield, and as a consequence are starting to look like the real deal.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Are we in a better position now, as to when he took over?

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

satchmo wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
satchmo wrote: Before or after the Marine?
After the ToK H.
Haha, yuppie! :D

I remember the old Marine beer garden. And the dev. Then Luckys. Good times.
Never liked the Tok H. But my old Dad used to drive for Coke on the nepean Hwy and nearly every day, when I was real small, he'd bring home a lucky burger in the arvo and share it with me when we were living on Hampton Street in the late 60s and most of the 70s. When Mum would go away to visit relos we would have Lucky burgers every single night for tea.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Spinner wrote:So by on here the club has done no 'embracing' to the bayside since moving to Seaford?

Is this a case of what you don't personally see; doesn't exist?

Haven't there been appearances, junior clinics, school visits? I think there has been.

The club has worked unbelievably in trying to infiltrate the local schools and community. The players and membership team work tirelessly in trying to win over the public. As an example a local Frankston primary school had a car boot sale last Saturday and the Saints publicity machine was there. Lucky to be a 100 people there but they were trying. You can bust a gut as they do but nothing beats a lucky or unlucky bounce or a great spoil that goes to a lucky toe poke. We walked under a ladder and we,re still paying for it.