Maverick Weller

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Maverick Weller

mad saint guy wrote: Well for one thing, TDL is a small, soft, low-possession forward pocket who doesn't tackle, crumb or kick many goals. Saad has more upside but is likely to be suspended for the next two season, and is therefore a waste of a spot. Jones will be 30 by the time next season starts, can't kick and rarely stops an opponent anymore. I believe Curren should become our new run-with midfielder (who also accumulates quality disposals and can kick goals).
Agreed on TDL, but dont know if Weller can play forward. Was played there by GC but seemed to only shine in midfield. Can he play forward, that is the question.

Respectively disagree on Jones. yes his kicking is poor, however if you saw the job he did on Gary Ablett in R22 you wouldn't say he cant stop anymore. Since Baker left we haven't had a stopper apart from Jones who gives the team a lot in the at role. He will also help our fledging mids get better if he can negate one of the oppositions ball winning mids.

Dont know if Weller can do that role. Others have stated Geary can do the Jones role, but I think Geary can still blossom inot a hard in and under mid a bit like Sydneys Paul Kelly, a late bloomer but wasted as a stopper, also dont think he is quick enough to do the Jones role.
mad saint guy wrote:Weller is a strong-bodied young midfielder with a fair chunk of AFL experience already to his name. Right now he'd be around the same level as Seb Ross, perhaps with a little less class and more aggression. We need to build our young midfield reserves because not all of them will come good and we don't want to be relying heavily on 18 year old draftees and a 30+ veterans as our only support for Steven and Armo next year. Weller would help keep competition healthy for the likes of Ross, Curren and Newnes while having the potential to become a 150 gamer himself.
Agreed he is worth taking the punt but not at the expense of getting rid of our only stopper. Would ratherTDL, or Dunnel getting the flick.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I reckon TDL will get the chop. Not up to Watters.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:I reckon TDL will get the chop. Not up to Watters.

And its also not completely up to pelchan. it would be both of them. if it isnt then we have some real issues inside the club.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

And its also not completely up to pelchan. it would be both of them. if it isnt then we have some real issues inside the club.

I have an email saying we have.

No FACTS, but rumour an innuendo.

Think I'll use that as the basis of all my argument and critisism of the club.

cheers

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Could we try weller down back and move gears to a wing ?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
mad saint guy wrote: Well for one thing, TDL is a small, soft, low-possession forward pocket who doesn't tackle, crumb or kick many goals. Saad has more upside but is likely to be suspended for the next two season, and is therefore a waste of a spot. Jones will be 30 by the time next season starts, can't kick and rarely stops an opponent anymore. I believe Curren should become our new run-with midfielder (who also accumulates quality disposals and can kick goals).
Agreed on TDL, but dont know if Weller can play forward. Was played there by GC but seemed to only shine in midfield. Can he play forward, that is the question.
I think we had far too many small forwards on the list this year and we don't need to replace them with more forwards.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:Could we try weller down back and move gears to a wing ?
Why would you just shuffle players for the sake of it??..

What has Weller shown to be locked in defence, and what has Geary shown that makes him a fit for the wing? I'd be more inclined to give Newnes and Webster shots at the wing first up next year, as they transition into the midfield and both have excellent footskills... Super important in that role...

What would be the point in Weller when we just cut Ledger who is a very similar player and probably has more upside... Both hard at it contested ball winner, both have iffy disposal particularly under pressure, both struggle to spread from the contest and both have accountability issues they need to improve.. And from all reports both have inflated ego's that need to be kept in check...

Weller makes no sense to me..

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
joffaboy wrote:
I think we had far too many small forwards on the list this year and we don't need to replace them with more forwards.
Fair point, however we have lost arguably the best small forward the Saints have ever had and possibly one of the best the game has seen in Milne.

Lance or James??

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

Why?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Fair point, however we have lost arguably the best small forward the Saints have ever had and possibly one of the best the game has seen in Milne.
Absolutely, but Milney was an incredibly talented, once in a generation player and I think it would be futile to try and replace him. Especially with interchange caps on the horizon, we need midfielders who can rest forward and hit the scoreboard (or part-time forward who can go into the middle). This is why I think Billings is so appealing. It's probably also why they're persevering with Milera, though I don't think he has the strength or application to be a long term AFL player. Curren can also go forward, Minchington could potentially play a Schneider-like role if he progresses. They're the types we need going through the forward line. We also need more quality midfielders.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I forgot about Schenids
If Schenids stays fit - TDL really is a waste of time.
Weller seems similar to the Ledge ill accept that.
Wasnt the knock on the Ledge his kicking?
Can Weller kick?

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Con Gorozidis wrote:I forgot about Schenids
If Schenids stays fit - TDL really is a waste of time.
Weller seems similar to the Ledge ill accept that.
Wasnt the knock on the Ledge his kicking?
Can Weller kick?
How do Ledger and WEller compare size & build wise ??

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Hallalj#3
Club Player

Why would you want fumbles Geary in a creative position, Back pocket only. And when Wright gets stronger see ya later.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

The Redeemer wrote:
Why?
If gears moves anywhere, it would surely be midfield...endurance better than most at the club.

Wing not so much his go IMO.

saint6709
Club Player

Unfortunately TDL is not a good enough footballer to compensate for his lack of physical presence on the field -I would like to see 22 each week who are prepared to go very hard at it - most of our team (kids included) seem like they are up to it - Any exception to that rule would need to be an exceptional talent -TDL is not an exceptional talent - Weller will be hard at it - I would get him

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
The Redeemer wrote:
Why?
If gears moves anywhere, it would surely be midfield...endurance better than most at the club.

Wing not so much his go IMO.

Isnt the wing the midfield except for ball ups after a goal or at the start of the game?

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:

I thought they both read Saintsational and then mad eup their based on what was written here?

Opinions are like arseholes, everybody's got one.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I thought they both read Saintsational and then mad eup their based on what was written here?

They do but they do it together.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

plugger66 wrote:
They do but they do it together.

No they don't, they bitch and moan and piss and whine about it !! Then they punch on. Haven't you been keeping up with anything ??!!

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Isnt the wing the midfield except for ball ups after a goal or at the start of the game?
yep.
to me wing = midfield without the centre bounce.
only 3 can start at the centre bounce but you have 10 mids.

lefty
Club Player

Get Weller, but don't bother with Jolly.... we've got enough ruck stocks.

We need more mids!

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

sax wrote:
st.byron wrote:So if we do pick him up does he come through the PSD and we take him with our pick 3. Is that how it works?
No. We only have to take him through the rookie draft if we want to rookie him, otherwise we can sign him as a delisted free agent. The same way we signed Dylan Roberton last year.
Thanks Sax. So signing someone as a delisted free agent - there's no order that clubs have to follow? It's just a matter of a club offering a player a deal and the player accepting it? In theory, the player could have more than one club offering him a deal and have a choice? Is that right?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
sax wrote:
st.byron wrote:So if we do pick him up does he come through the PSD and we take him with our pick 3. Is that how it works?
No. We only have to take him through the rookie draft if we want to rookie him, otherwise we can sign him as a delisted free agent. The same way we signed Dylan Roberton last year.
Thanks Sax. So signing someone as a delisted free agent - there's no order that clubs have to follow? It's just a matter of a club offering a player a deal and the player accepting it? In theory, the player could have more than one club offering him a deal and have a choice? Is that right?

Yep.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Get him

#1 Ryder fan
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

But we still need to fit him on the list.