Sponsorship - St Kilda at rock bottom

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

outside66
Club Player

Re: Sponsorship - St Kilda at rock bottom

Special wrote: Mon 02 Sep 2019 3:25pm When will we get a name brand sponsor?

We attract the unknown brands - even shyte clubs like Norf and Footscray get known brands
We are getting a new one for 2020 as the deal with xblades has finished. I heard it's a good one so fingers-crossed! We haven't had a good sponsor since puma.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

outside66 wrote: Mon 02 Sep 2019 3:29pm

We attract the unknown brands - even shyte clubs like Norf and Footscray get known brands
We are getting a new one for 2020 as the deal with xblades has finished. I heard it's a good one so fingers-crossed! We haven't had a good sponsor since puma.
Not sure what you deem as a good sponsor but, in reality - it's just about money. Quality of the kit itself has very, very little to do with it. Most recently - we actually were with BLK before they fell over and going to XBlades. Richmond ppl hated BLK as they literally couldn't make a black coloured kit. It looked like a deep grey. But the club still made plenty from it. The simple fact is that it's all about whatever the apparel sponsor thinks they can make from the club. By far and away - the most lucrative apparel sponsor we've had in the last 20 years was Piping Hot. PH had nothing to do with our kit manufacture - we had it made ourselves in China and PH just paid us a royalty. We just copied what the Pies did with Star Athletic. In any case - apparel sponsors look to whatever else they can tie in to their club sponsorship. Eg. - Adidas' agreement with Hawthorn worked seriously well for them as they had a side deal with Cyril that mean they could use his name on a special range of junior boots.

Funnily enough - all of the big clubs (Ess, Pies, Crows, WCE, Syd, Port, Freo) are with ISC (not a brand most ppl would associate with prestige). Nike (Blues - although this deal has now expired), Adidas (Hawthorn) and Puma (Tigers) - only have a deal with one team. Perceived brand 'prestige' is not everything.

Just follow the money ...

Go you red, black & white warriors
outside66
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Mon 02 Sep 2019 4:25pm

Not sure what you deem as a good sponsor but, in reality - it's just about money. Quality of the kit itself has very, very little to do with it. Most recently - we actually were with BLK before they fell over and going to XBlades. Richmond ppl hated BLK as they literally couldn't make a black coloured kit. It looked like a deep grey. But the club still made plenty from it. The simple fact is that it's all about whatever the apparel sponsor thinks they can make from the club. By far and away - the most lucrative apparel sponsor we've had in the last 20 years was Piping Hot. PH had nothing to do with our kit manufacture - we had it made ourselves in China and PH just paid us a royalty. We just copied what the Pies did with Star Athletic. In any case - apparel sponsors look to whatever else they can tie in to their club sponsorship. Eg. - Adidas' agreement with Hawthorn worked seriously well for them as they had a side deal with Cyril that mean they could use his name on a special range of junior boots.

Funnily enough - all of the big clubs (Ess, Pies, Crows, WCE, Syd, Port, Freo) are with ISC (not a brand most ppl would associate with prestige). Nike (Blues - although this deal has now expired), Adidas (Hawthorn) and Puma (Tigers) - only have a deal with one team. Perceived brand 'prestige' is not everything.

Fair enough about the money side of things but from a supporters perspective ISC make rubbish jerseys. Xblades aren't much better. I'd be more inclined to buy another jersey that had a decent brand - Canterbury would be choice.

Saintmatt
SS Life Member

outside66 wrote: Tue 03 Sep 2019 10:40am

Fair enough about the money side of things but from a supporters perspective ISC make rubbish jerseys. Xblades aren't much better. I'd be more inclined to buy another jersey that had a decent brand - Canterbury would be choice.
ISC actually make quite good stuff. The game day jumper is basically all the same and there's no tech at all in them (apart from Geelong - who's kit is made by Cotton On / COAR). It's actually the off-field apparel that sets the good apart from the poor. Xblades in the middle tier / Adidas is tier 1 / ISC is actually very, very good too. Puma's off-field stuff for Richmond is actually not great. As for Canterbury - they have North and their off-field stuff is hopeless. Nike's stuff with Carlton was excellent but that's now ended and I'm pretty sure they're not going to renew.

outside66
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 03 Sep 2019 11:09am

ISC actually make quite good stuff. The game day jumper is basically all the same and there's no tech at all in them (apart from Geelong - who's kit is made by Cotton On / COAR). It's actually the off-field apparel that sets the good apart from the poor. Xblades in the middle tier / Adidas is tier 1 / ISC is actually very, very good too. Puma's off-field stuff for Richmond is actually not great. As for Canterbury - they have North and their off-field stuff is hopeless. Nike's stuff with Carlton was excellent but that's now ended and I'm pretty sure they're not going to renew.
I disagree. Having had a game day jersey from every brand we've had, ISC was the worst in terms of fitting and design. I don't really get into the off-field merchandise so I couldn't comment there. Nike would be a good get but I've been told that we aren't going down that path unfortunately.

barneyboyz
Club Player

outside66 wrote: Tue 03 Sep 2019 12:40pm

I disagree. Having had a game day jersey from every brand we've had, ISC was the worst in terms of fitting and design. I don't really get into the off-field merchandise so I couldn't comment there. Nike would be a good get but I've been told that we aren't going down that path unfortunately.
I have some of the XBlades stuff and can't fault it really

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

I agree that the last ISC design we had (with the black collar and arm hoops) wasn't a great design. Then again - a lot of that design element comes from the clubs themselves. I can tell you that ISC are a much different beast to when we least dealt with them. They are clearly the No.1 apparel supplier in the AFL/NRL now and pretty much only deal with the biggest clubs

outside66
Club Player

barneyboyz wrote: Tue 03 Sep 2019 1:01pm

The indigenous one this year was shocking in terms of the sizing. I wear a medium (in XB jerseys from the past two years) which still fit fine however for this years indigenous one I had to get an XL and it still wasn't a decent fit.

outside66
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote: Tue 03 Sep 2019 1:02pm

I agree that the last ISC design we had (with the black collar and arm hoops) wasn't a great design. Then again - a lot of that design element comes from the clubs themselves. I can tell you that ISC are a much different beast to when we least dealt with them. They are clearly the No.1 apparel supplier in the AFL/NRL now and pretty much only deal with the biggest clubs
That's good, I'd rather us not go back to them. Ah well, I guess we'll have to wait and see what the next one brings!

barneyboyz
Club Player

outside66 wrote: Tue 03 Sep 2019 2:25pm

The indigenous one this year was shocking in terms of the sizing. I wear a medium (in XB jerseys from the past two years) which still fit fine however for this years indigenous one I had to get an XL and it still wasn't a decent fit.
Ha ha, I grew a bit since buying my hoodie at the start of the season, especially around the guts

outside66
Club Player

barneyboyz wrote: Tue 03 Sep 2019 3:18pm

Ha ha, I grew a bit since buying my hoodie at the start of the season, especially around the guts
haha, yeah the winter pre-seasons do catch up however I don't think I went full Steven May in between buying jerseys!

barneyboyz
Club Player

outside66 wrote: Wed 04 Sep 2019 11:14am
barneyboyz wrote: Tue 03 Sep 2019 3:18pm

haha, yeah the winter pre-seasons do catch up however I don't think I went full Steven May in between buying jerseys!
Gave up the smokes, and any room I had left in my pants :shock: :lol:

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Deliveryroo?

Don't they pay their riders slave wage rates.

Not happy about this sponsorship.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

ISC ...

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote: Wed 04 Sep 2019 11:23am Deliveryroo?

Don't they pay their riders slave wage rates.

Not happy about this sponsorship.
don't 90 percent of the big companies do now?