What should St Kilda's philosophy be on Trading this year?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: What should St Kilda's philosophy be on Trading this yea

Yes we have pick one but I sort of agree with SR. Yep players have to come to us in the draft because they have no choice but we aren't in the box seat unless pick one is a star. It will be hard for us to trade pick one for a star because unless we pay huge overs what is our appeal. Yep we can have blokes carrying about we are building but we will still finish last next year and likely with less wins than this year. IMO if the opportunity to trade pick one for a star presents this year we must take it no matter what seat we are in. Some of this rubbish about we should Cameron and a later pick is as I said just rubbish. Cameron is worth pick one plus something. As I keep saying there is no point in getting a great trade for both parties and missing out on that trade because we want more because we are in the box seat.

Anyway I just hope the rumours aren't true about us getting Jakasch and JOK for our pick one and we get pick 4. What happens if McCartin is gone by then. A lot of numbers doesn't mean quality players but it does seem like Pelchens way of doing things. Don't like it myself not that it matters.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:yeah how are you doing that?

are you laughing at your own jokes again firey?
we've been thru this before
cut it out
it aint funny
8-)

box seat
pick one
everyone wants it
we have it
how on earth is that not the box seat in the draft?? :roll:
I can't help laughing at my own jokes Matrix...I'm so friggin funny :lol: :lol:

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Yes we have pick one but I sort of agree with SR. Yep players have to come to us in the draft because they have no choice but we aren't in the box seat unless pick one is a star. It will be hard for us to trade pick one for a star because unless we pay huge overs what is our appeal. Yep we can have blokes carrying about we are building but we will still finish last next year and likely with less wins than this year. IMO if the opportunity to trade pick one for a star presents this year we must take it no matter what seat we are in. Some of this rubbish about we should Cameron and a later pick is as I said just rubbish. Cameron is worth pick one plus something. As I keep saying there is no point in getting a great trade for both parties and missing out on that trade because we want more because we are in the box seat.

Anyway I just hope the rumours aren't true about us getting Jakasch and JOK for our pick one and we get pick 4. What happens if McCartin is gone by then. A lot of numbers doesn't mean quality players but it does seem like Pelchens way of doing things. Don't like it myself not that it matters.
let's make this simple...we have what everyone wants..pick #1...= box seat what happens after that happens. Pick 1 = bargaining power , we have lost BJ, Ball, Dall ,McEvoy for not much return and Lenny..Roo, Fisher & Joey won't be around long , so time to be ruthless, get what we can with what we have and as I said before would rather bite the bullet and get potential youth rather than used goods...keep nurturing young talent and then BANG :)
Last edited by The Fireman on Tue 30 Sep 2014 6:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Yes we have pick one but I sort of agree with SR. Yep players have to come to us in the draft because they have no choice but we aren't in the box seat unless pick one is a star. It will be hard for us to trade pick one for a star because unless we pay huge overs what is our appeal. Yep we can have blokes carrying about we are building but we will still finish last next year and likely with less wins than this year. IMO if the opportunity to trade pick one for a star presents this year we must take it no matter what seat we are in. Some of this rubbish about we should Cameron and a later pick is as I said just rubbish. Cameron is worth pick one plus something. As I keep saying there is no point in getting a great trade for both parties and missing out on that trade because we want more because we are in the box seat.

let's make this simple...we have what everyone wants..pick #1...= box seat what happens after that happens. Pick 1 = bargaining power and I said before would rather bite the bullet and get potential youth rather than used goods...keep nurturing young talent and then BANG :)

Who is suggesting used goods? A 21 year old if he shows heaps of potential is probably a better punt then an unproven 18 year old. It wont happen but surely you would give pick one for Cameron without even thinking about it. Pick one is the best pick to have in the draft but it usually doesn't get you the best player. Hasn't since Rooy IMO.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
The Fireman wrote:

let's make this simple...we have what everyone wants..pick #1...= box seat what happens after that happens. Pick 1 = bargaining power and I said before would rather bite the bullet and get potential youth rather than used goods...keep nurturing young talent and then BANG :)

Who is suggesting used goods? A 21 year old if he shows heaps of potential is probably a better punt then an unproven 18 year old. It wont happen but surely you would give pick one for Cameron without even thinking about it. Pick one is the best pick to have in the draft but it usually doesn't get you the best player. Hasn't since Rooy IMO.
i agree with you. you misunderstood what I said..I have added to my last reply

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
The Fireman wrote:

Looks like we are violent agreement.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
The Fireman wrote:

Looks like we are violent agreement.
hahaha...a 21 yr old class player fits into my wanted criteria

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Cameron wants out.
Won't extend his contract.
Wogans lose him for nothing in the 2015 PSD... or...
they talk very politely to us! :twisted:

= box seat = Firey is correct. QED.

As for 'no young gun wanting to come to us'...
any young gun who has a reasonable grasp of simple addition will be able to work out...
that in three year's time when said young gun is entering their footballing prime...
this young St Kilda list (based in groovy St Kilda 8-) ) will also be entering its footballing prime. :idea:

(Any young gun who can't work that out... I'd suggest adding a 'no morons' policy to our 'no dickheads' policy. :wink: )

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dave McNamara wrote:Cameron wants out.
Won't extend his contract.
Wogans lose him for nothing in the 2015 PSD... or...
they talk very politely to us! :twisted:

= box seat = Firey is correct. QED.

As for 'no young gun wanting to come to us'...
any young gun who has a reasonable grasp of simple addition will be able to work out...
that in three year's time when said young gun is entering their footballing prime...
this young St Kilda list (based in groovy St Kilda 8-) ) will also be entering its footballing prime. :idea:

(Any young gun who can't work that out... I'd suggest adding a 'no morons' policy to our 'no dickheads' policy. :wink: )

Repeating things all the time doesn't make it right Dave. Any person who was offered Cameron now would take him and wouldn't ask for anything else because it may wreck the deal of a lifetime. And saying emotive words like groovy and based in St Kilda wont get you better players either.

One day I would love to have a serious discussion about our club and it would be good if we could at least use some close to fact, facts instead of repeating your emotive stuff. I think it would be fun.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I am genuinely starting to believe we have already done a deal with Cameron.
A lot of signals pointing me in that direction.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Football by nature is emotive.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:Football by nature is emotive.
Really?
Since when :lol:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Bunk_Moreland
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:I am genuinely starting to believe we have already done a deal with Cameron.

What gives you that idea?

Hope you are correct

You are garbage - Enough said
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Bunk_Moreland wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I am genuinely starting to believe we have already done a deal with Cameron.

Hope you are correct
Absolutely no inside information at all. Just joining some dots and then making some very tenuous connections.

5 Signs we are set to get JC (even the initials tell me there will be no stopping messiah mania if this happens).

1. The completely out of the blue comment by brianspeaking several months back
2. The tweet from Paige Cardona two days ago
3. The fact that JC could possibly walk straight to us next year anyway and GWS could end up with nothing
4. The way the Saints have been constantly saying in the media we want to trade pick 1. Given that according to AFL rules you are supposed to do deals in trade time - we need to look like the deal is going to be done in trade time. It seems too much like an exercise in kite flying.
5. The very cagey comments by jaxons and tony74 on here indicate something is happening.

Disclaimer:
I dont want to get my or others hopes up. So take this with truckloads of salt and I am renown for going off half-cocked on here :)

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Bunk_Moreland wrote:

Hope you are correct
Absolutely no inside information at all. Just joining some dots and then making some very tenuous connections.

5 Signs we are set to get JC (even the initials tell me there will be no stopping messiah mania if this happens).

1. The completely out of the blue comment by brianspeaking several months back
2. The tweet from Paige Cardona two days ago
3. The fact that JC could possibly walk straight to us next year anyway and GWS could end up with nothing
4. The way the Saints have been constantly saying in the media we want to trade pick 1. Given that according to AFL rules you are supposed to do deals in trade time - we need to look like the deal is going to be done in trade time. It seems too much like an exercise in kite flying.
5. The very cagey comments by jaxons and tony74 on here indicate something is happening.

But gee whizz I dont want to get my or others hopes up. So take this with truckloads of salt and I am known for going off half-cocked on here :)
I had a guy who knows people at the club say recently that we are into some very big trade for pick one and was all secretive and wouldn't say anything else. If I was to guess he knows people who work in the memberships or something- he's not coming up with massive leaks or anything- he is pretty unreliable. I saw him the day before Watters was sacked and he was saying Watters was safe even though there were rumours starting. He also didn't know about Mc Evoy before it happened. He's had a few things early like we were into Delaney and a couple of other things but not a great source but anyway he claims that it's huge and talking about it will make it not happen or some crap. I would have ignored it but Paige came out the same day and said the same thing.

JOR and Jaksche isn't big or huge but Cameron or Boyd would be huge. I'm not sure that he's not just making up stuff but he's got me excited any way just in case.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Knowing our luck the AFL will intervene to stop any deal and fine us and then ban us from the draft for ten years.

The Redeemer
SS Life Member

I like the trade of Jackshit, JOK and 4 for our 1.

In the end, if we have a large need for say a tall forward in a year or two, we buy one. We will certainly have the cash to spend unless Thompson and Burke are still at the club.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

we're all over cameron i reckon
all over it like stink to a blanket

matrix
Saintsational Legend

The Pelch is on trade radio in 15 mins

matrix
Saintsational Legend

pick one certainly still on market, they are open minded with that selection
wait for teams to come to them with options, nothing on table thats been put forward as of yet
perfectly honest we need all (forward mid and defender)
the strategy goes till 2016 and takes in all the draft periods till then
wont chase big players, will entertain offers from other clubs for pick one
certainly interested in kj and orouke
dont want to specify player by player when asked if siposs is on trade tbale
he is back training on his own already, doing his own thing, no reason for him to put his name out there

orouke and jacksh deal is the type of deal they are looking at
nothing has been put forward to them, nothign on the table, but its the TYPE of deal they would like
nothing has been put to the table by other clubs to the saints yet

their standards are very high and their expectations are very high
saad has been contacted along with his management
open minded on it till the draft day comes around
if the deal for parker and pick one was on the table of course it would be looked at but no point as his name hasnt been raised at the club or put forward to the club

heading very much in right direction
still going to be tough
ladder perspective doesnt look to flash, but they are heading in the right direction, look at the signing, club is very positive, strong future
billings name not out there yet but "watch this space"

nick and joey are outstanding leaders, lenny hayes legend around the club
everyone is welcome back to the club, goddard dal santo etc
joey and nick both still on board, both critical, young guys look up to them quite a bit and good on them for staying with the club when their window is obviously closed

never seen nick lead better than the last 3 years
the way he prepares is unreal
limited training time on the track, does his own stuff alot
this season he has been as good as ever

discussed hunt internely
jacksh and rouke they have seriously discussed, but still, nothing is set in stone

absolutely rapt for Ben mcevoy
wasnt pushed out of the club
only went if he thought the move was a benefit to him and he said he thought it could be
not one person has said anything bad about him getting a flag, only positive

quick recap
#1 is open
saad possiblilty
billings will sign
pelch is happy the way FA works (has to say that as he said he was on the original committe when it was brought about)
it will work itself out, give it around 4 to 5 years, bigger clubs will drop down and lower clubs WILL rise, it will all work out how its supposed to, its all a cycle

sorry for spelling etc
tried to type while he spoke

FQF
SS Life Member

I wish we were into Cameron but the mass of unreliable rumours from generally uninformed people does not amount to much in my eyes. On the other hand, can anyone confirm the rumour that was floating around a few months ago that Cameron was spotted at Seaford? Or was that a joke?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

FQF wrote:I wish we were into Cameron but the mass of unreliable rumours from generally uninformed people does not amount to much in my eyes. On the other hand, can anyone confirm the rumour that was floating around a few months ago that Cameron was spotted at Seaford? Or was that a joke?
He had a skinny soy decaf frappacino.

I think that might have been my joke, but can't remember for sure.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

im trying to remember the quote from that steve martin film where he loses it and starts talking to the flashing road sign? (right movie?)

ill have a half decaf decaf frapachin vanilaa coffee with a hint of lemon (or whatever it was)

SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

matrix wrote:im trying to remember the quote from that steve martin film where he loses it and starts talking to the flashing road sign? (right movie?)

ill have a half decaf decaf frapachin vanilaa coffee with a hint of lemon (or whatever it was)
LA Story. Love that film.

Always loyal
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I hope we get Cameron but why would he come to us? Surely there are better clubs who could offer similar money. I hope we get him but logic suggests we have little chance. The good thing is we can give GWS more than any other club bar Melbourne but he needs to want to come to us still. Cant see it but happy to say I was wrong.