Phillip Hughes RIP

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Phillip Hughes RIP

White Winmar wrote:
Enrico_Misso wrote:What happened to Phil Hughes is tragic.
Everyone was touched by the emotion of the players and the Aust cricket community.

But some of the media hype is way over the top.
All this talk that Hughes was a champion, one of the greats, an inspiration etc. etc.

It would seem from the reaction of his teammates that he was a champion bloke.
But that is not the same as portraying him as a champion cricketer.

The reality is that despite being "looked after" by the NSW centric selectors over the last six years with 26 caps, his test average is less than 33 which is mediocre at best in the modern era, even for an opener. (e.g. Hayden averaged over 50, and Langer over 45)
I agree that potentially his best years were ahead of him but there is little to suggest he would have been anything more than a fringe player at Test level.

His death has come as a shock to all cricket lovers and everyone is moved at the impact this has on family friends and the cricket community.
I hope the funeral tomorrow helps the grieving process and allows people to move forward.

But please let's get some perspective.
Phil Hughes was no Archie Jackson.
Well said Enrico. This is another classic example of death being a great career move. Think Elvis, John Lennon , James Dean etc. all greater in death than in life. There are two journalists who bagged the crap out of Hughes over the past two years, saying he didn't have the technique to ever make it at the top level. They have now changed their tune, stating he was going to be the next big thing. Please. He couldn't force his way into the side in the UAE, ahead of legends like Alex Doolan and Glen Maxwell! I'm very sad for Philip and his family, but he is nowhere near the cricketer he is being portrayed as in the media.

Wjo cares how he is portrayed. It doesn't change how sad this is. Lets just enjoy his life instead of nit-picking how good or not so good he was. We will never know how good he eventually will be but it doesn't make this less sadder.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Re: Phillip Hughes RIP

plugger66 wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
Enrico_Misso wrote:What happened to Phil Hughes is tragic.
Everyone was touched by the emotion of the players and the Aust cricket community.

But some of the media hype is way over the top.
All this talk that Hughes was a champion, one of the greats, an inspiration etc. etc.

It would seem from the reaction of his teammates that he was a champion bloke.
But that is not the same as portraying him as a champion cricketer.

The reality is that despite being "looked after" by the NSW centric selectors over the last six years with 26 caps, his test average is less than 33 which is mediocre at best in the modern era, even for an opener. (e.g. Hayden averaged over 50, and Langer over 45)
I agree that potentially his best years were ahead of him but there is little to suggest he would have been anything more than a fringe player at Test level.

His death has come as a shock to all cricket lovers and everyone is moved at the impact this has on family friends and the cricket community.
I hope the funeral tomorrow helps the grieving process and allows people to move forward.

But please let's get some perspective.
Phil Hughes was no Archie Jackson.
Well said Enrico. This is another classic example of death being a great career move. Think Elvis, John Lennon , James Dean etc. all greater in death than in life. There are two journalists who bagged the crap out of Hughes over the past two years, saying he didn't have the technique to ever make it at the top level. They have now changed their tune, stating he was going to be the next big thing. Please. He couldn't force his way into the side in the UAE, ahead of legends like Alex Doolan and Glen Maxwell! I'm very sad for Philip and his family, but he is nowhere near the cricketer he is being portrayed as in the media.

Wjo cares how he is portrayed. It doesn't change how sad this is. Lets just enjoy his life instead of nit-picking how good or not so good he was. We will never know how good he eventually will be but it doesn't make this less sadder.
Just a bit of perspective, P66. It's all very sad. RIP Phillip.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!