Jack Steven contract

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Jack Steven contract

Sign Jack up until the end of 2020. 5 years.

Saints43
Club Player

I'm really surprised that some on this thread don't appear to rate Jack that highly.

He's not just an outside speedster, he turns contests our way in tight. He gets stuck in.

With a run of fitness he would be a top midfielder at any club imo.

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:I'm really surprised that some on this thread don't appear to rate Jack that highly.

He's not just an outside speedster, he turns contests our way in tight. He gets stuck in.

It's just he has been disregarded because it's been a while since he has been able to show his wears. He was on crutches preseason and once he got back never reclaimed his form. Then broke down again. He will make it back and people will remember what he is capable of. He is the one guy on our list who looks a genuine superstar that isn't past their best.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

matrix wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Hallalj#3 wrote:Yeah there was a big offer on the table for him!

For who? Lenny? Maybe there was. Cant remember but it wasn't as easy to just leave back then.
if you read his book youd know it was sydney looking to get another nsw boy back home

Got his book but I don't read so its very doubtful I will read that but Im glad I now know. Thanks mate.

Saints43
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Got his book but I don't read so its very doubtful I will read that but Im glad I now know. Thanks mate.
:roll:

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Got his book but I don't read so its very doubtful I will read that but Im glad I now know. Thanks mate.
Geez, I think you may have lost just a bit more integrity (and credibility) after revealing that to us.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
:roll:

Why the rolling eyes because I now know who offered him a contract. Strange.

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

matrix wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Hallalj#3 wrote:Yeah there was a big offer on the table for him!

For who? Lenny? Maybe there was. Cant remember but it wasn't as easy to just leave back then.
if you read his book youd know it was sydney looking to get another nsw boy back home
Didnt a deal almost go through for a Jude Bolton for Lenny Hayes deal at one stagr?

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

As much as I rate Jack - would it be sensible if we waited until mid-season?
If we are odds on for the spoon then maybe pick 2 compo is very tempting. Pick 1 & 2 and 20 in the 2015 draft could be a bounty.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 11 Feb 2015 8:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:I'm really surprised that some on this thread don't appear to rate Jack that highly.

There is still a question over how good his delivery is with the footy if he wants to be elite. In modern footy there is almost no point being able to break lines if you then turn if over or don't put it to advantage very well (looking at you Savage and Geary!) as defenses are so good at rebounding. Backlines like Cats and Hawks almost enjoy the ball coming in because they back themselves to win it and then the oppo is then out of position on the counter. I think Jack's ball usage will do better if he gets over his foot problems. He's at that age and experience that he should have more poise and vision to start delivering better the same way Ablett did when got to that 25 age mark.

Johnny Favier
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:

There is still a question over how good his delivery is with the footy if he wants to be elite. In modern footy there is almost no point being able to break lines if you then turn if over or don't put it to advantage very well (looking at you Savage and Geary!) as defenses are so good at rebounding. Backlines like Cats and Hawks almost enjoy the ball coming in because they back themselves to win it and then the oppo is then out of position on the counter. I think Jack's ball usage will do better if he gets over his foot problems. He's at that age and experience that he should have more poise and vision to start delivering better the same way Ablett did when got to that 25 age mark.
A bit harsh on Savage there - one of his strengths is he's usually tidy by foot.
I remember one of the games he played for Sandy last year he was running at 87% disposal efficiency just before returning to the seniors, and I'm pretty sure he ended the season with decent percentages for effective disposals.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Favier wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

A bit harsh on Savage there - one of his strengths is he's usually tidy by foot.
I remember one of the games he played for Sandy last year he was running at 87% disposal efficiency just before returning to the seniors, and I'm pretty sure he ended the season with decent percentages for effective disposals.
He did. Definitely ended the season on a high note. I'm expecting him to start where he left off this year. Will be among our most improved players.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
Johnny Favier wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

He did. Definitely ended the season on a high note. I'm expecting him to start where he left off this year. Will be among our most improved players.
I just haven't seen Savage use ball with a lot of penetration. He seems to hand off the responsibility with little sideways crab kicks or handballs which probably accounts for his accurate (but meaningless) disposal rate. Like Geary he steams forward and than seems to hit a brick wall without knowing how to do damage with the footy. He came from a premiership team into the wooden spooners and still managed to get dropped to the twos. Admittedly he seemed to come back with better intent but he seems to lack confidence and vision. In an increasingly congested and tight footy field, its the players with composure, vision and penetration that have that cutting edge that can pick the game apart. You don't have to have Dal Santo's silky kicking skills - Lenny was never elite with kicking but he just had that instinct and composure to use the footy well and with purpose to be a threat with the footy. Maybe Savage needed a year to settle - we'll see

Johnny Favier
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
Johnny Favier wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

I just haven't seen Savage use ball with a lot of penetration. He seems to hand off the responsibility with little sideways crab kicks or handballs which probably accounts for his accurate (but meaningless) disposal rate. Like Geary he steams forward and than seems to hit a brick wall without knowing how to do damage with the footy. He came from a premiership team into the wooden spooners and still managed to get dropped to the twos. Admittedly he seemed to come back with better intent but he seems to lack confidence and vision. In an increasingly congested and tight footy field, its the players with composure, vision and penetration that have that cutting edge that can pick the game apart. You don't have to have Dal Santo's silky kicking skills - Lenny was never elite with kicking but he just had that instinct and composure to use the footy well and with purpose to be a threat with the footy. Maybe Savage needed a year to settle - we'll see
Yeah let's hope so! Hopefully the penny dropped with him halfway through 2014.

What we need is for Jack Steven to sign on for another 5!