Booing Goddard

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Re: Booing Goddard

Sainternist wrote:
saynta wrote:
Sainternist wrote:Brendon Judas Goddard broke our hearts by leaving our club and going to one of our least favourite clubs for money and a premiership. It is our duty, as true supporters of the St.Kilda FC, to continue booing him for as long as keeps donning the sash against our club. Why should we cease voicing our discontent for the way he left us?

Maybe because booing someone is rather childish. Agree with your first comments though.
Of course it's childish. As football supporters we whinge and carry on about umpiring decisions and opposition players performing well. There is a lot of childishness in football supporting. I think booing can also serve as a bit of a catharsis. Supporters showing some emotion and making noise in unison is always a good thing and shows there is some harmony among us. The real worry is when supporters become quiet. As long as you're not insulting BJG on a personal level, or spitting at him, or throwing projectiles at him, it's all pretty harmless. Just continue to let him know we weren't pleased with him going to Essendon for cash and glory.

Agree Sainternist. I don't boo players myself, but don't mind when players get booed if that makes sense? Adds to the theatre and spectacle, as long as the comments over the fence are within reason. Reckon BJ would almost be insulted if we didn't boo him, kind of gives the impression that we don't care....

Footy is about passion and I wholeheartedly agree - if the crowd remains sensible throughout the whole game, how bloody boring.

I didn't like BJ leaving and I thought he was disloyal - yet Hamill was one of my favourite players. Makes perfect sense doesn't it 8-)

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I'm uncomfortable with the booing of Goddard.

It re-asserts our small-club mentality, shows we are unable to acknowledge one of our greatest players for his outstanding contribution and speaks about where are at as a football club.

If that's what you want our club to be, boo him. If not, respect him, and what he did over 10 years of service.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:I'm uncomfortable with the booing of Goddard.

It re-asserts our small-club mentality, shows we are unable to acknowledge one of our greatest players for his outstanding contribution and speaks about where are at as a football club.

If that's what you want our club to be, boo him. If not, respect him, and what he did over 10 years of service.
Yeah cause Collingwood supporters won't boo Beames and Bomber supporters won't boo Ryder.

Give us a break, all footy supporters boo regardless of which club they come from. FFS Buddy got booed in the GF last year - has anyone done more for a club and put them on the map?

markp
Saintsational Legend

I don't boo ex-Saints but it's just a bit of theatre... and what is ultimately says about anything is exactly nothing.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:I'm uncomfortable with the booing of Goddard.

You really have an issue with "club mentality"?
You really have an issue.

Why would other Saints supporters represent me?

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
satchmo
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:I don't boo ex-Saints but it's just a bit of theatre... and what is ultimately says about anything is exactly nothing.
Precactly.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

It's an interesting point that some folk have made about booing Goddard, and equating such behavior with "showing emotion, and making some noise in unison, to show harmony among us" Well call me an old fuddy duddy, but I don't agree. "Passion" should be directed at getting behind OUR side. Where I sit on level one aisle 18-19, I often get folk coming up to me saying "come on Joggster, rev 'em up"!! Quite often (with a few honourable exceptions) you can hear a pin drop after an onfield setback, as people sit in silence (or in whinge mode) IF you want to be a barracker for this club, then you should need NO ONE to rev you up! and my point is made because it sickens me to the stomach to witness a guy like I did at the game last sunday, who booed with fanatical zeal every time Goddard went near the ball, but who sat in stony silence when OUR KIDS NEEDED ENCOURAGEMENT!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:It's an interesting point that some folk have made about booing Goddard, and equating such behavior with "showing emotion, and making some noise in unison, to show harmony among us" Well call me an old fuddy duddy, but I don't agree. "Passion" should be directed at getting behind OUR side. Where I sit on level one aisle 18-19, I often get folk coming up to me saying "come on Joggster, rev 'em up"!! Quite often (with a few honourable exceptions) you can hear a pin drop after an onfield setback, as people sit in silence (or in whinge mode) IF you want to be a barracker for this club, then you should need NO ONE to rev you up! and my point is made because it sickens me to the stomach to witness a guy like I did at the game last sunday, who booed with fanatical zeal every time Goddard went near the ball, but who sat in stony silence when OUR KIDS NEEDED ENCOURAGEMENT!

Great point but we are a negative society. People look for the bad in others instead of worrying about themselves.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Maybe they were just trying to scare him.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I have to say, I can't stand supporters who spend a lot of their time at the footy focused on the opposition or the umpires, but barely any time on their own team. It's a fair point that Jigging saint makes.

I too have been at games where I have almost been embarrassed to be vocal in support because everyone else around me are just sitting there like we are at the theater or something. I was raised to be vocal at the footy. I sometimes wonder if it has something to do with the fact that everyone sits nowadays - standing appears to bring out the noise a bit more in supporters. Or is it that alcohol is no where near as prevalent at the footy anymore, therefore blokes inhibition level is much higher?

In my view the footy as a rule is as exciting as ever nowadays. What brings me to games is the atmosphere. Otherwise you can just watch it on the TV and probably get a better view.

Club Player

Agree about standing helping the vociferous , must be the freeing up of the abdominals or something??
for those who love to stand, and who enjoy a little to and fro with some opposition supporters get yourselves to Adelaide, buy a general admission and stand on the hill! I'll be there when we hit town.

the invisible and the non existent look very much alike
saynta
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
thejiggingsaint wrote:It's an interesting point that some folk have made about booing Goddard, and equating such behavior with "showing emotion, and making some noise in unison, to show harmony among us" Well call me an old fuddy duddy, but I don't agree. "Passion" should be directed at getting behind OUR side. Where I sit on level one aisle 18-19, I often get folk coming up to me saying "come on Joggster, rev 'em up"!! Quite often (with a few honourable exceptions) you can hear a pin drop after an onfield setback, as people sit in silence (or in whinge mode) IF you want to be a barracker for this club, then you should need NO ONE to rev you up! and my point is made because it sickens me to the stomach to witness a guy like I did at the game last sunday, who booed with fanatical zeal every time Goddard went near the ball, but who sat in stony silence when OUR KIDS NEEDED ENCOURAGEMENT!

Great point but we are a negative society. People look for the bad in others instead of worrying about themselves.
Aren't those observations a bit too general?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Alright I will survey 23 million people and get back to you with a more accurate answer.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

That fierce Goddard tackle on Lonie, near the boundary, stirred up some St Kilda supporters.

Lonie got a real battering all day from Essendon players - Dempsey, Goddard etc... they were looking to hurt him - legitimately of course (via bumps and strong tackles).
Last edited by samoht on Wed 06 May 2015 6:30pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

This is ridiculous - cant believe people are getting upset about others booing Goddard

Most people booing would be doing it and then turning to their mate and laughing about it - as stated by others previously its all a bit of theatre I doubt Brendan would give a flying toss

That said he chose to leave our club and chose to sign and play for Essendon - if he was that loyal and that committed he would have stayed for less money and a shorter contract rather than holding us to ransom

Its common knowledge that Geelong stars (during their premiership run) played for less money to keep their team together with the notion of winning Premierships - Goddard it seems was quite happy to jump ship when the going got tough - doubt any Geelong players were on 800,000 five year contracts

Boo away I say :twisted: :wink:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
gringo
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:That fierce Goddard tackle on Lonie, near the boundary, stirred up some St Kilda supporters.

Lonie got a real battering all day from Essendon players - Dempsey, Goddard etc... they were looking to hurt him - legitimately of course (via bumps and strong tackles).
Dempsey must have got a little word from the Turd to just take Lonie out at every opportunity. A few of those late "tackles" were designed to hurt.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

whiskers3614 wrote:Clowns doing it are probably the same ones hoping for master-coach Lyon to win a flag at Freo!
I just re-read this sentence and to me it doesnt make sense
you would think the people who are booing goddard
would also be the ones that are hoping lyon DOESNT win a GF
:?

:oops: and that's me red faced from booing both....
seriously who gives a stvff?

Seeya
stevie
Saintsational Legend

BJ turns 30 soon. While we recall his great career with us, it's sort of ironic that his footy days will meander along to a close in a couple of years, maybe more. He'll get his 300th maybe 350. His current scum club won't participate in any grand finals or prelims, hopefully zero finals if they don't get punished properly for cheating. Nothing he has done or will do will match some of his Sainter efforts ( Squibbs from Carlscum will have a similar career, quietly amassing games that are nothing remotely memorable but not reaching the GF heights of BJ). Goddard will only ever be remembered as a Saint. Even Scummer fans will forget about him once he's retired.

Anyway, my two bobs worth. People may agree or disagree but I couldn't really care lol

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

It's a lot easier to look at an other's failings rather than one's own and that is human nature; especially in today's sickening age of narcissism. That is why one should mind their own business and should never take anything personally.
Last edited by SaintPav on Wed 06 May 2015 9:31pm, edited 1 time in total.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Tend to agree Stevie. (good luck by the way against the Gooners)

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
saynta
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saynta wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Alright I will survey 23 million people and get back to you with a more accurate answer.
Great. Come back when you are finished and let me know the result.

I suppose we will have to hazard a guess whether or not the remaining 811,704 Aussies are negative or not. Based on your survey of course.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I realised Sunday I'm officially over him.

About time.

I missed his passion and drive, but he's been replaced, actually there's a whole new crew of them.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Tend to agree Stevie. (good luck by the way against the Gooners)
Cheers bro. Spent hours looking for a Villa shirt in Istanbul to no avail lol. Not happy that they've moved the game starting time too - 530pm London time which is 230am here. If I work that nite will just stay up or have a nap early then get up. The old start of midnite used to be ok. Anyway hope the boys can have a real crack and return the Cup to Villa Park after 58 years!

happy feet
Club Player

Stuff Goddard. He's fair game as far as I'm concerned.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

On the radio they were saying that BJ intentionally drilled a goal head height.

Not particularly my thing but it's part of the game and it probably helps fire these guys up more than anything.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.