Sam Gilbert - Does he have a future?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sam Gilbert - Does he have a future?

13.0 for St Kilda.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:13.0 for St Kilda.

Maybe he kicked 60 out on the full. maybe he marked everyone in the goal square. Im not prepared to go with that until I have further information. I cant just trust the stats. The silly thing is I didn't bring in the stats for Gilbert. Im happy to go with my opinion that he is important to us in the future. The stats back it up in a minor way. I certainly have no other way I proving an opinion.

WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Gilbert gets excited when the ball hits his boot let alone where it ends up. Having said that today when he went into the middle he gave us an edge!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
WinnersOnly
SS Life Member

Gilbert gets excited when the ball hits his boot let alone where it ends up. Having said that today when he went into the middle he gave us an edge!

SAINTS another day older another day closer to the Holy Grail!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

Maybe he kicked 60 out on the full. maybe he marked everyone in the goal square. Im not prepared to go with that until I have further information. I cant just trust the stats. The silly thing is I didn't bring in the stats for Gilbert. Im happy to go with my opinion that he is important to us in the future. The stats back it up in a minor way. I certainly have no other way I proving an opinion.
I reckon he's an important part of our immediate future as well, but I think those stats are meaningless.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I reckon he's an important part of our immediate future as well, but I think those stats are meaningless.

Looks like a lot of stats are meaningless then. Those footy shows just wasted graphics on Delidio. We will never know the most accurate kick for goal because we don't have all the information.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
skeptic wrote:Well then please back up your claim. You've made it so the onus on you is to prove it, not for me to disprove it.

Until you do this conversation cannot move any further

I hope you are joking. How can I prove an opinion? At least the stats show there is a basis to that opinion. Its like me saying to you how can you prove Ledger would have been a good player if he was played more. I say Gilbert is important in the future and I also say stats show that he has played in many more wins than losses in the last 3 years. I have a question for you. What player is the most important in the future? Also how are we ever going to work out who was the best kick for goal in AFL history?
Your double standards are quite humorous. You demand objectivity on here from everyone else but fail to deliver any yourself. You mouth of about stats, but when pressed for more analysis start pointing fingers all in the air.

Surely if a bloke hasn't had a club top 10 B&F finish for 5 years, you cannot claim they are highly influential player.

Anyway I had have enough of talking about Gilbo. He will be playing next year so we should all just get used to it.
I do think he's taking the piss Con

skeptic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bergholt wrote:
plugger66 wrote:He does have the talent i agree, i base my opinion on his last few years.

What do you base yours on?
Snippy. I thought I said it was fine that we had different opinions. I base my opinion on us winning when he played and us losing when we didn't. That doesn't even slightly mean he was the difference but it does mean I think he certainly helped and now that we have a young side with still many players not up to it I think he becomes even more important.
In the last three years we've gone 8-13 when he's played, and 7-33 when he hasn't. That's a lot bigger difference than I thought!

I had no idea of those stats but it is much bigger difference than I thought as well. I may have finally got one right.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
skeptic wrote:Well then please back up your claim. You've made it so the onus on you is to prove it, not for me to disprove it.

Until you do this conversation cannot move any further

I hope you are joking. How can I prove an opinion? At least the stats show there is a basis to that opinion. Its like me saying to you how can you prove Ledger would have been a good player if he was played more. I say Gilbert is important in the future and I also say stats show that he has played in many more wins than losses in the last 3 years. I have a question for you. What player is the most important in the future? Also how are we ever going to work out who was the best kick for goal in AFL history?
Your double standards are quite humorous. You demand objectivity on here from everyone else but fail to deliver any yourself. You mouth of about stats, but when pressed for more analysis start pointing fingers all in the air.

Surely if a bloke hasn't had a club top 10 B&F finish for 5 years, you cannot claim they are highly influential player.

Anyway I had have enough of talking about Gilbo. He will be playing next year so we should all just get used to it.
I do think he's taking the piss Con

skeptic wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bergholt wrote:
plugger66 wrote:He does have the talent i agree, i base my opinion on his last few years.

What do you base yours on?
Snippy. I thought I said it was fine that we had different opinions. I base my opinion on us winning when he played and us losing when we didn't. That doesn't even slightly mean he was the difference but it does mean I think he certainly helped and now that we have a young side with still many players not up to it I think he becomes even more important.
In the last three years we've gone 8-13 when he's played, and 7-33 when he hasn't. That's a lot bigger difference than I thought!

I had no idea of those stats but it is much bigger difference than I thought as well. I may have finally got one right.
Why quote that? To prove I had no idea on the stats and to prove I think they play a small part in my opinion being sound. Im still worried we didn't play ledger more. Would have been a star. I certainly hope we never have a discussion on accurate kicking for goal because we cant use stats. And thanks for avoiding simple questions that I asked previously.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Your questions are just you attempting to deflect the topic. I don't need to answer them.

The topic is your claim. You can't back it up. There really is no need to discuss this further as we can't actually prove whether keeping him is a good/bad decision. Sam will answer that with his form. I think that he hasn't had a good season over the last four and that doesn't bode well for the future. You think that when he plays, he plays well and we win more. You can't prove it. You say the statistics show it but they don't. You don't agree that they don't for reasons that are unclear to me and Con at least. That's the impasse that we are at.

Anyway, like Con I am finding discussing this with you both unproductive and unrewarding so i will leave it there. You can continue asking about player's accuracy at goal, Tom Ledger and all that other stuff that is irrelevant to the topic we were discussing.