Hugh Goddard collapsed at training

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Re: Hugh Goddard collapsed at training

Bunk_Moreland wrote: Do you have any experience in this field bluthy or are you just talking out of ignorance like you did about drug addiction and rehab?
"thats going to become a thing"

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote: The point of the heart attack analogy is hospitals would monitor patients better then any footy club would be expected to monitor footballers but patients still have heart attacks whilst in hospital. Some things will happen however you monitor it. No other player collapsed so maybe there was a reason Goddard did and maybe that reason would have been impossible to see or monitor. I'm sure they will be careful in the same environment but we are guessing if it was due to poor monitoring of players. I'm not sure what lessons could be learnt from this but I will guess they will do the same training again next season if they think it benefits the players.
Er hospitals are FULL of sick people. Often very sick. Like... all of them in fact (except for the few hypochondriacs who have tricked the doctors). Lots of s*** be going down there. Totally expected. I won't be investigating any collapses there.

Fit young strapping lads, generally speaking, shouldn't collapse and be rushed to hospital. I'm sure the club feels the same and will look at what they did or didn't do and see if they can do things differently to stop any future player breakdowns. Prevention is better than a cure. It's logic, common sense, how it is, voila!

Have you seen any of the camp footage on the website? (there is one there involving saints frolicking with scantily clad 16 y.o school girls that almost gave me a heart attack). They really push the limits these days. I'm sure its all balanced by player welfare but it seems almost an arms race to try and get an edge. Port went so hard with their fitness and were really disappointing last year. Can you burn outyoung players out going too hard in preseason? Will be interesting to see how Port go this year. With their list they should be right up there.

ripplug66
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:
ripplug66 wrote: The point of the heart attack analogy is hospitals would monitor patients better then any footy club would be expected to monitor footballers but patients still have heart attacks whilst in hospital. Some things will happen however you monitor it. No other player collapsed so maybe there was a reason Goddard did and maybe that reason would have been impossible to see or monitor. I'm sure they will be careful in the same environment but we are guessing if it was due to poor monitoring of players. I'm not sure what lessons could be learnt from this but I will guess they will do the same training again next season if they think it benefits the players.
Er hospitals are FULL of sick people. Often very sick. Like... all of them in fact (except for the few hypochondriacs who have tricked the doctors). Lots of s*** be going down there. Totally expected. I won't be investigating any collapses there.

Fit young strapping lads, generally speaking, shouldn't collapse and be rushed to hospital. I'm sure the club feels the same and will look at what they did or didn't do and see if they can do things differently to stop any future player breakdowns. Prevention is better than a cure. It's logic, common sense, how it is, voila!

Have you seen any of the camp footage on the website? (there is one there involving saints frolicking with scantily clad 16 y.o school girls that almost gave me a heart attack). They really push the limits these days. I'm sure its all balanced by player welfare but it seems almost an arms race to try and get an edge. Port went so hard with their fitness and were really disappointing last year. Can you burn outyoung players out going too hard in preseason? Will be interesting to see how Port go this year. With their list they should be right up there.

Yes hospital are full of sick people but they are fully monitored but some still have heart attacks to the shock of people at the hospital. I did like your words rushed to hospital. Could you be any more emotive? And yes I'm sure the club didn't want it to happen but my point all along is you have no idea how they are monitored and after re reading what you have written in this thread, you think the club stuffed up. You and I wouldn't have a clue. Some people get sun stroke no matter how much they are monitored. Unlike you I think the club would have done every right. If they didn't I would expect more than one player to collapse.

And how do you know Port went to hard on fitness. maybe the teams worked out their game plan. You love a guess.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:

Hospitals are actually terrible places to be if you are ill. The closer a population lives to a hospital the lower the expected age at death. True.

Life expectancy actually rises the further one lives from hospitals.

Hospitals and their doctors and nurses kill people every day , not intentionally, mind you, but accidents do happen. Frequently. Doubt that football clubs actually kill people. The St Kilda football club certainly hasn't.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

it's as good as killed me.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

It's killed quite a few careers though, Saynta. I call the old Moorabbin ground the "Bermuda Triangle" of football. It's the area bound by Linton Street, South Road and Nepean Hwy. Check it out. It forms a triangle. Many a great man has entered, only to disappear from view completely, career over. Think Jewell, Alves, Watson, Sheldon, Blight, Watters (forget that last one) et al. That thief Sheahan overheard me use it to Mick Gleeson, had a chuckle and then went with it in his next story. No attribution of source though. Bastard! :)

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

The ground would be outside that triangle.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
ripplug66
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:The ground would be outside that triangle.

We are training at Harvey Norman in 2 years time.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

ripplug66 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:

Yes hospital are full of sick people but they are fully monitored but some still have heart attacks to the shock of people at the hospital. I did like your words rushed to hospital. Could you be any more emotive? And yes I'm sure the club didn't want it to happen but my point all along is you have no idea how they are monitored and after re reading what you have written in this thread, you think the club stuffed up. You and I wouldn't have a clue. Some people get sun stroke no matter how much they are monitored. Unlike you I think the club would have done every right. If they didn't I would expect more than one player to collapse.

And how do you know Port went to hard on fitness. maybe the teams worked out their game plan. You love a guess.
I don't know burnout was a reason for Ports flop last year. How do you know teams worked out their game plan, speaking of guessing? Maybe they got ahead of themselves - Hinkley was definitely coming across as arrogant about how fit and attacking they were. Many said they were too reckless with running forward. The inner sanctum at Port are probably still struggling to work it out. Just chucking out some ideas and thoughts - can you push young players too hard physically? Fair question I would have thought. As usual you have your over-reaction to nearly everything I say. Getting quite used to it now.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

S'pose we'll always have a problem with the heat until we get a lot more fans.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:S'pose we'll always have a problem with the heat until we get a lot more fans.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!