Is Dempster becoming a liability?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Is Dempster becoming a liability?

dempster is very solid.. no idea how people can think this

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

He's become the rock of gibraltar of the backline. One upon a time people on here use to say that he was Dempstered. How memories are short!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
loris
Saintsational Legend

samuraisaint wrote:Lee stays in.
Dempster is the best defensive mark we have in the side. He stays.
I hope Lee gets an extended run at it over the next few weeks whilst Roberton is out, to show he has what it takes at AFL level.

Agree with you samurai saint re the Dumpster. His defensive marking saves us time & time, there is no one challenging him in that area to date. Roberton down back would be second I would imagine.

I know he's been a great servant for years and he's the favourite of so many, so I'll get shouted down here.IMHO Fisher is the one who appears to be unravelling.

He's slowed down, is fumbling a lot when the ball is below the knees, and this season his skill of leaving his man to attempt the 'intercept mark' seems to be deserting him. He's made some wrong decisions in all matches this season. There were a couple of instances yesterday, he left his player, the ball went over his head, both times Lee had to contend with his own & Fishers player. Then Lee gets criticised when he's been out bodied and can't mark or spoil.
Also Fisher doesn't appear to have the fitness for our style of game. He's been absolutely exhausted, hardly able to raise a trot in the final quarters of the last 2 matches, and often loses his feet and goes to ground too easily this season. Whereas, Dempster has been just as exhausted, but seems to be able to will himself to the next contest, remain on his feet and able to stick tackles etc.

I just hope Fisher hasn't played on one season too many and his decline becomes too obvious. Champion players deserve to go out on top of their game or at least in some control of it.

If Lee maintains the level he showed yesterday I think he is a more obvious replacement for the ageing Fisher.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Agree Loris. Dempster is still near his best, audacious in his attempts to win Mark of the Year. Sammy is still playing good footy, though, and your view may be coloured by comparing the Fisher of today with the Fisher of 5 years ago. He has slipped by his standards but is a long way from being an easy-beat.

Given that, this will be Sam's last season. I think yesterday we all saw where the Club was heading. Behind closed doors I reckon the coaches would have been thrilled with Tommy Lee's performance - struggled early but played his way into the game and ended with 20 possessions and a good tall of marks. Nothing flash but very dependable, and don't forget Carlisle will add much needed size and strength to the back half next year. The slightly forgotten Goddard will also be making inroads later in the season. Sammy will be able to throw his boots in the bin in full knowledge he has given the club everything and he has left it in good shape.

Saint supporter since '62
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Fish has deteriorated a bit but he plays on the number 1 forward every week. That is a thankless, exhausting job where you take your eye off them for a second they get a mis-match and often a goal. Dempster has more freedom to play that last line sweeper role he does so well. I am biased towards Fish because I really value his kicking - he doesn't get a chance to show it off much because he has his hands full on the forward gorillas. It wouldn't surprise if both Fish and Demps retire at the end of the year. I think we will have the new talent to replace them and we want to get games into them as we start to head towards finals.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I still think Dempster is not a liability... I think he is an ageing star who is still a valuable contributor.

He is about 30% better than Lee, 50% better than Goddard at this point

Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote: Dempster is the best defensive mark we have in the side. He stays.
Complete gun, totally underrated.

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

Harvey To Hayes wrote:
samuraisaint wrote: Dempster is the best defensive mark we have in the side. He stays.
Complete gun, totally underrated.
Only underated by Saintsational posters, not by his peers, the general footballing public or the media.

It's a problem that comes when you are posting on any blog - you think you are the smartest person in the room all the time. That;s because you usually are the ONLY person in the room!

Saint supporter since '62
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote:Agree Loris. Dempster is still near his best, audacious in his attempts to win Mark of the Year. Sammy is still playing good footy, though, and your view may be coloured by comparing the Fisher of today with the Fisher of 5 years ago. He has slipped by his standards but is a long way from being an easy-beat.

Given that, this will be Sam's last season. I think yesterday we all saw where the Club was heading. Behind closed doors I reckon the coaches would have been thrilled with Tommy Lee's performance - struggled early but played his way into the game and ended with 20 possessions and a good tall of marks. Nothing flash but very dependable, and don't forget Carlisle will add much needed size and strength to the back half next year. The slightly forgotten Goddard will also be making inroads later in the season. Sammy will be able to throw his boots in the bin in full knowledge he has given the club everything and he has left it in good shape.
Fish is performing admirably, I reckon. They've pushed him back a line due, in part, to compensate for him having slowed up a bit. And he's using his sizable football noggin to adapt to playing on the bigger/biggest forwards, a responsibility handed to others when Fish was at his peak, because Fish was a premier game reading, intercepting, ball getting, roaming defender who regularly set us up.

Old dog, new tricks, and all that. Kudos to Fish.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Was shocking today. Shocking.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I think it's good to bump these crap threads...and always look at the author.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I am currently in NZ and have been following scores on my phone. Hard to tell tone when it's written. Was Dempster good today? Who stood Hogan?

terry smith rules
SS Life Member

The Fireman wrote:I think it's good to bump these crap threads...and always look at the author.
exactly, really pathetic

he'd rather we lose and then he good really happily complain

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Yawn.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Ageist crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

You are relentless Gora.

Sent from my SM-T210 using Tapatalk

Saintsational Legend

It's a but of a lame bump to be honest...

What's wrong with Dempster being criticised for playing a few average games?

He's been better since then and good on him... Doesn't mean the criticism wasn't warranted. The reality is Dempster isn't is not a part of the future. That means that essentially, if he is not playing well, there is no point to playing him at all.

By playing better, he has removed room for criticism and rightly so

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:It's a but of a lame bump to be honest...

He's been better since then and good on him... Doesn't mean the criticism wasn't warranted. The reality is Dempster isn't is not a part of the future. That means that essentially, if he is not playing well, there is no point to playing him at all.

and by playing better gives everyone the right to have a crack at those with little faith and foresight .

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:

and by playing better gives everyone the right to have a crack at those with little faith and foresight .
Meh... I don't think there's anything wrong with saying someone is playing badly when they are. It's the same line of thinking as giving praise to someone when they deserve it.

Call it as it happens

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
The Fireman wrote:

Meh... I don't think there's anything wrong with saying someone is playing badly when they are. It's the same line of thinking as giving praise to someone when they deserve it.

Call it as it happens
So...can expect Con to start a thread on how Geary nullified Gartlett today?

Balance the ledger occasionally I reckon, makes the opinion appear more tempered.

St Lenny
Club Player

Dempster had the first worst game ever. Give him a break. What about that amazing mark, didn't even get a replay. Saved our butts so many times, don't write him off to quickly.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Just a solid, reliable defender who gives 100

Criticism was silly.

Players can't be at their best every week... But he almost is... Possibly the least of our worries

Only real worry with Sean is that he's near the end and we have to replace him
Last edited by BigMart on Sat 30 Apr 2016 7:24pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
The Fireman wrote:

Call it as it happens
playing badly for a couple of games and becoming a liability after so many good games and a good track record ? nup sorry Skeptic this thread was ill conceived from the start.
You can criticise any player who puts in a bad one but to lable him a liability was just plain silly...the question mark was a way of the author covering his arse

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Just a solid, reliable defender who gives 100

Criticism was silly.

Players can be at their best every week... But he almost is... Possibly the least of our worries

Only real worry with Sean is that he's near the end and we have to replace him
read this skeptic.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

So GWS get 62 x I50 entries and Cameron kicks 5 and it is all Tom Lee's fault.

But

Melbourne only get 55 entries and Hogan kicks 7 and it is nobodies fault.

Just as long as we have cleared that up then. One rule for Tom Lee and one for everyone else.