Laverde to nominate Saints -Mounting rumours (nowJaxons too)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Myron Gaines
Club Player

Re: Laverde to nominate Saints -Mounting rumours (nowJaxons

Devilhead wrote:Hey MG have you taken into account that next year's draft class may be better than this years draft - that's the word anyway - next year's 1st rounder might be worth keeping if that's the case
That's also what I've heard. There's also some veteran good free agents next year. Focus on the draft this year, free agents next year.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Why cant we focus on the draft next year as well as free agency - free agency doesnt cost you draft pixks - unless of course you trade for a free agent

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
spert
Saintsational Legend

Get a class midfielder, a key position back, and a tough skilled half forward flanker and we will be playing finals next year -trade whatever it takes.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

We will have to find a ready replacement for Roo in 2018 or we will actually go backwards. He is still our star player IMO

Joffa Burns
Saintsational Legend

I agree 46 wouldn't be used by Giants in the draft, but don't they need picks converted to points to secure academy players?

Proudly assuming the title of forum Oracle and serving as the inaugural Saintsational ‘weak as piss brigade’ President.
bergsone
SS Life Member

spert wrote:Get a class midfielder, a key position back, and a tough skilled half forward flanker and we will be playing finals next year -trade whatever it takes.
Agree with first two,reckon we have Membrey,Weller to cover third point,just imo

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Myron Gaines wrote:
jaxons wrote:He hasn't told us or GWS yet of his decision just so you know.
But we have put a lot of effort in to get him and we like him a lot.
As I said earlier if he leaves GWS will join us for certain.
Nice straight bat jaxons.

In regards to what he'll cost trade wise, pick 46 won't get it done nor will GWS use it in the draft. The father son bidding has moved the goal posts & essentially makes pick 46 (to them) meaningless. A future 2nd is fair for both parties imo. GWS may also want a slight pick upgrade from there too. My mail is GWS are extremely keen on Longer however convincing him to move Sydney is the issue. Longer for Steele or the pick we get for Longer (if traded which I believe happens) is another decent outcome for both parties.

Personally, I would like to see St Kilda be creative at the trade table & trade pick 10, pick 20 (which we get for Longer) & 2017 first rounder for Steele, 2016 picks 7 & 17. Those draft picks would get us two quality kids from this years draft. Add Carlisle, Steele & possibly N Brown or M Brown to our 2017 team & we look to have the quality & depth to take the next step to play finals. 2017 we focus on free agents.
Myron, you're comfortable with spending a future first rounder? I guess it depends on the relative quality of the two drafts. In the scenario you've outlined two quality kids at 7 and 17, plus Steele sounds enticing. Two high picks this year instead of next year would also give those two players another year in the system and at the club.
But what if we're pushing the button too early and patience would be better in the long run? I recall Tony74 posted after the last game that the coaches weren't disappointed we didn't make the finals and that he wont be surprised if we finish in about the same position next year. Another year of development before we really start to make our push is how I read that.
We had a great year in terms of the development of Seb Ross, Tom Hickey and Tim Membrey in particular, with Newnes also delivering consistent quality performances.. Next year we need players like Billings, Acres and Luke Dunstan to step up another level to deepen our core of really high quality young players as well as getting new blood via the draft and trading.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

st.byron wrote:
Myron Gaines wrote:
jaxons wrote:He hasn't told us or GWS yet of his decision just so you know.
But we have put a lot of effort in to get him and we like him a lot.
As I said earlier if he leaves GWS will join us for certain.
Nice straight bat jaxons.

In regards to what he'll cost trade wise, pick 46 won't get it done nor will GWS use it in the draft. The father son bidding has moved the goal posts & essentially makes pick 46 (to them) meaningless. A future 2nd is fair for both parties imo. GWS may also want a slight pick upgrade from there too. My mail is GWS are extremely keen on Longer however convincing him to move Sydney is the issue. Longer for Steele or the pick we get for Longer (if traded which I believe happens) is another decent outcome for both parties.

Personally, I would like to see St Kilda be creative at the trade table & trade pick 10, pick 20 (which we get for Longer) & 2017 first rounder for Steele, 2016 picks 7 & 17. Those draft picks would get us two quality kids from this years draft. Add Carlisle, Steele & possibly N Brown or M Brown to our 2017 team & we look to have the quality & depth to take the next step to play finals. 2017 we focus on free agents.
Myron, you're comfortable with spending a future first rounder? I guess it depends on the relative quality of the two drafts. In the scenario you've outlined two quality kids at 7 and 17, plus Steele sounds enticing. Two high picks this year instead of next year would also give those two players another year in the system and at the club.
But what if we're pushing the button too early and patience would be better in the long run? I recall Tony74 posted after the last game that the coaches weren't disappointed we didn't make the finals and that he wont be surprised if we finish in about the same position next year. Another year of development before we really start to make our push is how I read that.
We had a great year in terms of the development of Seb Ross, Tom Hickey and Tim Membrey in particular, with Newnes also delivering consistent quality performances.. Next year we need players like Billings, Acres and Luke Dunstan to step up another level to deepen our core of really high quality young players as well as getting new blood via the draft and trading.
Melbourne did similar last year trading with GC to get Oliver and Weiderman, two high quality junior footballers. My suggestion to get 7 & 17 isn't the best deal in hindsight. I would look to do a similar deal however aim for two picks inside the first 12 picks. That would get us two very talented footballers. This years draft is extremely even across the first 10-12 picks IMO.

Its difficult to judge drafts 12 months out. Often its said so & so draft is a super draft & then by the time it comes around its just your standard draft. But its certainly a risk but one worth taking if we are focusing on free agents next year.

There's other benefits of cashing in on one draft. You get the extra year of development (as you mentioned) & bring players through the system together as we did with Dal Santo, Ball, Clarke, Joey and Goose.

GWS are in a position with their academy where they bring in 3-4 elite talent through the draft every year even if they win flags. Its a unique set of circumstances & gives them the ability to spread their age demographic & prolong their era of dominance which will be 10+ years IMO. We along with all the other teams just don't have the ability to do that so must cash in on a few drafts, if we can.

Anyway, its just a suggestion & unlikely it happens.