The coach has lost the players

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Re: The coach has lost the players

skeptic wrote: Wed 22 Aug 2018 9:21am For me personally, I rate Paddy. On talent I think he can make it.

Are we really confident he’s durable though? He’s what for seasons into his career and looking like he’s one bad concussion from retirement.
He’s had what 5 already? What are the chances he doesn’t get another in the next 2 years?

The housing analogy is closer to burying high and selling low not because the market is down but rather you over paid (perhaps you’re an emotional buyer)... if you’re not going to get the return that you want, sometimes it’s better to cut losses.
(Yes the housing analogy doesn’t work that well)
You clearly missed the bit about there being signs the market is on the rise. All the pundits have said he's shown enough to suggest he can make it.

I'll add something else about how I feel about Paddy and it talks to your point about emotions.

Paddy should be held up as an inspiration to all of the kids in this country. Even before he kicked a Sherrin in anger he had to prepare for and overcome unique challenges that are not required of most others who have reached the elite level of anything. Even if he was never to play another AFL game he would still be an inspiration to many.

Many don't achieve as much as Paddy already has in life and that includes people with normal health characteristics. So he is a success already.

So on that score alone I am willing to admit I'm a fan and dream big for the kid.

I'm also hoping in 12 months time that those who wanted him traded, and even suggesting he was only worth a second rounder, will be severely embarrassed.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: Wed 22 Aug 2018 3:05am i don't really care whether he has lost the players or not. the fact of the matter is the team is miles off where it was meant to be under his reign. if he hasn't lost the players it's even more damning. imagine what would happen when he does?
This post says it all
Lost players/not lost players who cares??? It’s nit big brother
FFS 5 years he can’t:

1. Get a team of assistants around him to do something
2. Get a ten to perform to a minimum consistent output
He’s a muppet , call it, own it, eff him off and get on with building a real football Dept

“Yeah….nah””
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Wed 22 Aug 2018 10:18am
skeptic wrote: Wed 22 Aug 2018 9:21am For me personally, I rate Paddy. On talent I think he can make it.

Are we really confident he’s durable though? He’s what for seasons into his career and looking like he’s one bad concussion from retirement.
He’s had what 5 already? What are the chances he doesn’t get another in the next 2 years?

The housing analogy is closer to burying high and selling low not because the market is down but rather you over paid (perhaps you’re an emotional buyer)... if you’re not going to get the return that you want, sometimes it’s better to cut losses.
(Yes the housing analogy doesn’t work that well)
You clearly missed the bit about there being signs the market is on the rise. All the pundits have said he's shown enough to suggest he can make it.

I'll add something else about how I feel about Paddy and it talks to your point about emotions.

Paddy should be held up as an inspiration to all of the kids in this country. Even before he kicked a Sherrin in anger he had to prepare for and overcome unique challenges that are not required of most others who have reached the elite level of anything. Even if he was never to play another AFL game he would still be an inspiration to many.

Many don't achieve as much as Paddy already has in life and that includes people with normal health characteristics. So he is a success already.

So on that score alone I am willing to admit I'm a fan and dream big for the kid.

I'm also hoping in 12 months time that those who wanted him traded, and even suggesting he was only worth a second rounder, will be severely embarrassed.
This is a really good post and there’s not a lot here to disagree with.

Just one point of clarification... I actually didn’t mean to suggest you were an emotional on the topic. The use of the term emotional buyer was more to fit in with the analogy, not to suggest ppl that believed in him were emotional. That interpretation was completely unintentional i apologise for any offence caused.

FWIW, I really like the kid. And I think he can play. He has talent in spades and if was was just to straighten up his kicking alone he’d easily be getting 3 goals per game which is decent.

I guess I’m just scared for him. He keeps getting hurt and I’m on edge for him. ANd unfortunately at this club we’ve run many an injured prone player into the ground... part of me thinks, if any club can do it, it’s not us so get what you can.

It’s a weird feeling believing in someone in one sense (talent) and not in another (durability). If in 12 months time he progresses like you hope, I’ll be honest... my joy would override any feelings of embarrassment. I will happily say to anyone that I didn’t think he’d make it and look how wrong i was.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

As Skeptic eloquently put it, I also would be happily severely embarrassed for the kid to make it and I've never shirked admitting I was wrong.

Very well put Cairnsman about his battles, whether he makes it or not, he is an inspiration to all, especially those who believe their afflictions may be a barrier.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Hey no offence was taken Skeptic. Was merely giving an insight into my romantic side.

I suppose like a few things, rather a head coach and some players, the dice will be rolled for another 12 months.

I can't wait for 2019 already.