West Coast Chasing Hickey

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: West Coast Chasing Hickey

skeptic wrote: Sat 22 Sep 2018 6:09pm Is it just me or are we looking at this idea of trading Hickey incorrectly...

Everybody is saying a second round... around pick #40 is fair. Off the record I agree

A 27yo ruckman in his prime, capable of his 2016 standard. Ready to walk right in to a premiership contending. Ruckman aren’t easy to come by

I reckon we need to go harder here
Agreed. After watching Jamie Cripps in action today, and Hutchings to a lesser degree, we need to make them give up their first pick for Hick. They promised to repay us in kind for the club agreeing to let Cripps go for a low draft pick. Then they reneged on this offer with Mitch Brown two years later.
We've put a lot of time and effort into Hickey, and he's still contracted to us. I think their first pick at #20 or thereabouts will get the job done. If not, well we keep Hickey, which we should do anyway. We have to win on this deal, or there should be no deal.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
guitars4
Club Player

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 22 Sep 2018 7:09pm
skeptic wrote: Sat 22 Sep 2018 6:09pm Is it just me or are we looking at this idea of trading Hickey incorrectly...

Everybody is saying a second round... around pick #40 is fair. Off the record I agree

A 27yo ruckman in his prime, capable of his 2016 standard. Ready to walk right in to a premiership contending. Ruckman aren’t easy to come by

Agreed. After watching Jamie Cripps in action today, and Hutchings to a lesser degree, we need to make them give up their first pick for Hick. They promised to repay us in kind for the club agreeing to let Cripps go for a low draft pick. Then they reneged on this offer with Mitch Brown two years later.
We've put a lot of time and effort into Hickey, and he's still contracted to us. I think their first pick at #20 or thereabouts will get the job done. If not, well we keep Hickey, which we should do anyway. We have to win on this deal, or there should be no deal.
There is not a snowman's chance ii hell that West Coast will give up a for their first rounder for Hickey. Maybe if we can give them something back they might consider it but not a straight swap IMO

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

We may have to give West Coast some steak knives in order for them to agree to take Hickey.

Give them whatever they need, another potato peeled.

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

guitars4 wrote: Sat 22 Sep 2018 9:54pm

There is not a snowman's chance ii hell that West Coast will give up a for their first rounder for Hickey. Maybe if we can give them something back they might consider it but not a straight swap IMO
They can jam it then... I wouldn't be giving them our contracted #1 ruckman for a pick in the 40's

To the top
SS Life Member

WCE are playing in a Grand Final next week

St Kilda won 4 games and drew one game for the season

WCE are interested in a player on St Kilda’s List to the extent that he has undergone a medical

And, in regard that player, you read on this site what is said about him

Noting St Kilda’s remaining ruck resources are Pierce and Longer who both at the very, very best, very ordinary footballers - and Marshall who can lend a hand and has promise

This, to me, says why WCE are where they are at and St Kilda are where they are at

As does a selection policy at St Kilda which treats Hickey as it has treated him post 2016

And, unfortunately, that inept selection policy does not stop at Hickey

Which is why St Kilda find themselves once again at the wrong end of the Premiership Ladder

And then you read what you read on here

Like attracts like

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

guitars4 wrote: Sat 22 Sep 2018 9:54pm

Good. I'd gladly keep Hickey. Let's see how West Coast go when Lycett leaves for Port and Nic Nat is out for all of next season. I don't want to lose Hick anyway.

samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote: Sat 22 Sep 2018 10:20pm We may have to give West Coast some steak knives in order for them to agree to take Hickey.

Give them whatever they need, another potato peeled.
Are you joking? They wanted Hickey to take a medical.
No, I think they should give us their first pick thanks. if not, they can play their 2019 season without a ruckman, because Lycett is off to Port and NicNat is out for the whole season, isn't he?
Either way, I'd be happiest if we stuck with Hickey anyway. And that is the stance I hope our club takes.

stonecold
SS Life Member

West Coast to win, cause they will only go backwards next year, when Hickledik turns up!!!!! ;)

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

Are we better off trading him?

For pick 1, yes. For pick 80 no.

If both teams find an acceptable trade then it will get done and it won’t have anything to do with Jamie Cripps or Hickey being our #1 contracted ruckman.

I’m sure WCE have other options and so do we.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti wrote: Sun 23 Sep 2018 9:43am
and it won’t have anything to do with Jamie Cripps or Hickey being our #1 contracted ruckman.
Agree with the former but not the later.

Being our no 1 ruckman obviously means that he is of significant value to the Saints. His contractual situation means that he is tied to the club, which gives us more leverage than if he wasn’t ie he just can’t walk.

These are all pertinent facts to any deal that will be done.

Negotion 101:

Assuming that WCE really want him, and we’re prepared to walk away, then the deal should really favour us.

We should start by asking for their first rounder and then negotiate from that anchoring point.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
chico2001
Club Player

Eagles are in the GF so have no problem at all with the ability of any of their current players, Nic nac wont be out the whole of 2019 but I doubt he will come back as good as he was, he really struggled to get over that last injury. Vardy is still there and will play in the GF side. No guarantees of Lycett still being there though in 2019 but what if they win the GF, would he walk then? Eagles have a project ruckman from Sudan and McInnes who has not done much when selected. If lycett goes then saints are in a good position to get a good pick selection from the Weagles.They have no players to trade. Longer will take over as No 1 ruck for saints.
Ex collingwood rookie Jye bolton just won his 2nd sandover medal, so saints should be looking outside the square for recruits.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

WCE also have Roughead in their sights, who is I believe, a free agent.

derby Street
Club Player

st.byron wrote: Sun 23 Sep 2018 12:19pm WCE also have Roughead in their sights, who is I believe, a free agent.
Geez and people reckon Hickey is no good :shock:

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

Hickey 50/50 on leaving at this stage. Dom Sheed's name has popped up too.

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
spert
Saintsational Legend

chico2001 wrote: Sun 23 Sep 2018 11:27am Eagles are in the GF so have no problem at all with the ability of any of their current players, Nic nac wont be out the whole of 2019 but I doubt he will come back as good as he was, he really struggled to get over that last injury. Vardy is still there and will play in the GF side. No guarantees of Lycett still being there though in 2019 but what if they win the GF, would he walk then? Eagles have a project ruckman from Sudan and McInnes who has not done much when selected. If lycett goes then saints are in a good position to get a good pick selection from the Weagles.They have no players to trade. Longer will take over as No 1 ruck for saints.
Ex collingwood rookie Jye bolton just won his 2nd sandover medal, so saints should be looking outside the square for recruits.
I don't think an immobile log who can barely take a mark will be our number one ruck- maybe in the 1960's he would have.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

tedtheodorelogan2018 wrote: Sun 23 Sep 2018 12:59pm Hickey 50/50 on leaving at this stage. Dom Sheed's name has popped up too.
Whisper is.....

chico2001
Club Player

spert wrote: Sun 23 Sep 2018 1:13pm
chico2001 wrote: Sun 23 Sep 2018 11:27am Eagles are in the GF so have no problem at all with the ability of any of their current players, Nic nac wont be out the whole of 2019 but I doubt he will come back as good as he was, he really struggled to get over that last injury. Vardy is still there and will play in the GF side. No guarantees of Lycett still being there though in 2019 but what if they win the GF, would he walk then? Eagles have a project ruckman from Sudan and McInnes who has not done much when selected. If lycett goes then saints are in a good position to get a good pick selection from the Weagles.They have no players to trade. Longer will take over as No 1 ruck for saints.
I don't think an immobile log who can barely take a mark will be our number one ruck- maybe in the 1960's he would have.
I dont like it either but we wont have any choice if Hickey goes. I suppose Pierce may take over as No 1 ruck but he is a bit green.

older saint
SS Life Member

WC pick 1 will goto Geelong for Kelly

dragit
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote: Sun 23 Sep 2018 2:21pm WC pick 1 will goto Geelong for Kelly
Geelong would be completely mad to do that... they land an absolute gun with pick 24 only to trade him out 12 months later for a pick around 22?

Rocket
Club Player

Hickey is overpaid. Got us on big dollars post 2016 year.

If we can get a 2nd rounder and dollar relief it’s a win.

Eggs in Longer (get him fit / working harder), Pierce and Marshall baskets.

silverhalo
Club Player

It's fair to say that we got well and truly bent over in the Cripps deal but we played nice for compassionate reasons apparently. Regardless, WCE really need to ensure that we get some of that goodwill back in any future trade otherwise I would not be dealing with them. I want to keep Hickey because he is our No.1 ruckman, and 2016 showed us how good he can be, but I hope to God that we play hard ball with these guys if he is to traded,

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Rocket wrote: Sun 23 Sep 2018 7:04pm Hickey is overpaid. Got us on big dollars post 2016 year.

Hickey is only contracted for next year and we don't need any salary cap relief surely? We would have more room in the cap than any other club.

A second rounder from west coast will be about pick 45, appalling value for our best ruckmen IMO.

takeaway
Club Player

dragit wrote: Sun 23 Sep 2018 7:17pm
Rocket wrote: Sun 23 Sep 2018 7:04pm Hickey is overpaid. Got us on big dollars post 2016 year.

Hickey is only contracted for next year and we don't need any salary cap relief surely? We would have more room in the cap than any other club.

A second rounder from west coast will be about pick 45, appalling value for our best ruckmen IMO.
Best ruckman? Don't think so.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

It’s not our problem, it’s theirs. If they really want him West Coast can manafacture a trade to get us pick 25 or so.

If not, sayonara Wet Toast.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Crossy66
Club Player

takeaway wrote: Sun 23 Sep 2018 7:31pm
dragit wrote: Sun 23 Sep 2018 7:17pm

Best ruckman? Don't think so.
Of the two, i prefer marshall. Would rather put time into him. We need to lose a ruckman one way or another