the view from the bridge

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Re: the view from the bridge

Scollop wrote: Sat 26 Jan 2019 4:27pm
Cairnsman wrote: Sat 26 Jan 2019 11:33am
Scollop wrote: Fri 25 Jan 2019 8:00pm
Cairnsman wrote: Sun 07 Oct 2018 3:04pm
prwilkinson wrote: Sun 07 Oct 2018 2:53pm I certainly hope the new staff usher in a better era on the field, because the severe debt the club currently finds itself in really is looming large on the horizon.

I mean, after asking members, supporters and benefactors for money to get back to Moorabbin, when is it acceptable to go back to the entire supporter base with the hat out asking for more money for a debt demolition? Surely this conundrum has been discussed at board level.

I said to my better half the other night that if I’d won the $100 million powerball I would have gone to the Saints with a cheque for $13 million the following week. I was in the bad books for thinking about the club before thinking about her.... hehe. I really would have done it too... Don’t underestimate how much I love the St Kilda footy Club.

But when can the club ask for more financial help?
The club won't go broke, it is merely a cost centre of the AFL so our debt will always be underwritten by the AFL. All AFL clubs are part of one big factory making different widgets for a bigger mechanism. If you lose one widget the mechanism doesn't work.
If there were say 4-5 Victorain clubs continually bleeding money and let's assume that things get worse for us and a few other clubs over the next decade and you add the money being poured into the interstate stragglers, there has to be a time at which the AFL starts restructuring the factory I think.

There was a short news story on channel 7 Melbourne today. I didn't see it but was told thirdhand that the story mentioned St Kilda's $12 million debt. Anyone catch the gist of it?

I'm betting that ten years from now if the AFL has to choose between perennially propping up a weak team interstate or perennially propping up a Victorian team we may be merged to help 'grow the mechanism' interstate
You have to be careful about reading too much into thirdhand news, it can make you jump at shaddows. However I heard 5th hand the AFL likes the St Kilda Football Club and thinks it's a very important part of thier business and does everything it can to help it contribute to corporate goals. From the same source I also heard they don't treat the club as an enemy.
You stated that "our debt will always be underwritten by the AFL"

You cannot predict the future and you cannot predict what decisions different personnel and different AFL management teams will decide in years to come. We can't rely on being friends with the AFL forever. Only good footy and a competitive team will attract sponsors and ratings. We need administrators at St Kilda who can help the team with on field success asap so that we can determine our own destiny

This administration has taken the team backward and I predict we will stagnate where 2019 will just mirror last year. We should have changed and had a cleanout of admin and coaches mid way through 2018. It gets harder and harder to lure good players and lure the best coaches which in turn creates a snowball effect and attracts the big fish and stars required to compete with the power clubs
Ever tried just relaxing.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote: Sun 27 Jan 2019 6:36pm
Scollop wrote: Sat 26 Jan 2019 4:27pm
Cairnsman wrote: Sat 26 Jan 2019 11:33am
Scollop wrote: Fri 25 Jan 2019 8:00pm
Cairnsman wrote: Sun 07 Oct 2018 3:04pm
prwilkinson wrote: Sun 07 Oct 2018 2:53pm I certainly hope the new staff usher in a better era on the field, because the severe debt the club currently finds itself in really is looming large on the horizon.

I mean, after asking members, supporters and benefactors for money to get back to Moorabbin, when is it acceptable to go back to the entire supporter base with the hat out asking for more money for a debt demolition? Surely this conundrum has been discussed at board level.

I said to my better half the other night that if I’d won the $100 million powerball I would have gone to the Saints with a cheque for $13 million the following week. I was in the bad books for thinking about the club before thinking about her.... hehe. I really would have done it too... Don’t underestimate how much I love the St Kilda footy Club.

But when can the club ask for more financial help?
The club won't go broke, it is merely a cost centre of the AFL so our debt will always be underwritten by the AFL. All AFL clubs are part of one big factory making different widgets for a bigger mechanism. If you lose one widget the mechanism doesn't work.
If there were say 4-5 Victorain clubs continually bleeding money and let's assume that things get worse for us and a few other clubs over the next decade and you add the money being poured into the interstate stragglers, there has to be a time at which the AFL starts restructuring the factory I think.

There was a short news story on channel 7 Melbourne today. I didn't see it but was told thirdhand that the story mentioned St Kilda's $12 million debt. Anyone catch the gist of it?

I'm betting that ten years from now if the AFL has to choose between perennially propping up a weak team interstate or perennially propping up a Victorian team we may be merged to help 'grow the mechanism' interstate
You have to be careful about reading too much into thirdhand news, it can make you jump at shaddows. However I heard 5th hand the AFL likes the St Kilda Football Club and thinks it's a very important part of thier business and does everything it can to help it contribute to corporate goals. From the same source I also heard they don't treat the club as an enemy.
You stated that "our debt will always be underwritten by the AFL"

You cannot predict the future and you cannot predict what decisions different personnel and different AFL management teams will decide in years to come. We can't rely on being friends with the AFL forever. Only good footy and a competitive team will attract sponsors and ratings. We need administrators at St Kilda who can help the team with on field success asap so that we can determine our own destiny

This administration has taken the team backward and I predict we will stagnate where 2019 will just mirror last year. We should have changed and had a cleanout of admin and coaches mid way through 2018. It gets harder and harder to lure good players and lure the best coaches which in turn creates a snowball effect and attracts the big fish and stars required to compete with the power clubs
Ever tried just relaxing.
:D :wink:

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Our 5 year plan is on track and we have faith that this is our year to shine

If you park 2018 aside the coaching is improving and the team is showing some great signs

Saints fans love to watch our guys run out and get a few kicks. You will be entertained regardless of the result

Please relax knowing that we took a diabetic as our number one draft pick and it's taken him 5 years to get AFL fit

I will try to relax about the people running the show at St Kilda for the last five years

tedtheodorelogan2018
SS Life Member

I really don't know how some get out of bed each day and have to face the world on here. 🙄

Posters that have admitted they were wrong about Hanna's gastro and the club didn't create a cover story.
Total = 1.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Maybe you could just accept that it’s a football forum that houses anonymous people’s opinions that they’re allowed to have and not some crusade that you need to fight

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Mon 28 Jan 2019 12:59pm Our 5 year plan is on track and we have faith that this is our year to shine

If you park 2018 aside the coaching is improving and the team is showing some great signs

Saints fans love to watch our guys run out and get a few kicks. You will be entertained regardless of the result

Please relax knowing that we took a diabetic as our number one draft pick and it's taken him 5 years to get AFL fit

I will try to relax about the people running the show at St Kilda for the last five years
You are getting ahead of yourself Scollop. Next year is our year to shine.