JLT1 Match Thread - Saints v Kangas

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Re: JLT1 Match Thread - Saints v Kangas

samuraisaint wrote: Sat 02 Mar 2019 10:33pm
Bruce G McAbee wrote: Sat 02 Mar 2019 2:26pm One of the best quarters I have seen for quite a while. Pity the scoreboard isn't working.
Not getting over excited as it is a practice match, but it is much better than I anticipated.
Mind you winning this is much more important for us than North.
North are well known for taking pre-season games and the old night series very, very seriously indeed. They desperately need momentum early for memberships and play as close to full strength as they can, trying to win everything they can. I know this sounds obvious, but not all sides do take these games seriously - Sydney is an example of those that don't.
I reckon North went all out to win today, but we outplayed them, despite them beating us in all the match stats, except the one that mattered.
I was very happy with the second quarter today, and I liked our ability to overrun them in the end too. I think we rope-a-doped them in the heat. Well played.
With our Brown better than their Brown for this game, they were considerably short on fire-power...something that was always going to be an issue with Waite retiring. They didn't have much of a chance with us shutting him down. Well done Nathan Brown...I know plenty on here are keen to see him relegated to the VFL, but I reckon he's got a good few years left in him yet.

Bruce G McAbee
SS Hall of Fame

As I said, I went to the game yesterday fully expecting to see us get belted, so naturally winning and especially that second quarter was so nice to see. Plus, as lot of people mentioned the first JLT from last year against Carlton, I remember seeing that and thinking that they had not addressed any of our problems from the previous season at all. This was very different, plus, they have had a year to get use to no Roo or Monty.
However, it was only a JLT game, it was good to win, but it means nothing if we produce crap on 24 March and for every weekend between then and the end of August this year. I have no expectations of making finals, but I would happy with 6-8 wins this year and being more competitive in all the others.

Think of me long enough to make a memory.
GilsAuPair
Club Player

Blues and Suns also had wins.

I think ours was more impressive but lets not get too carried away yet.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

GilsAuPair wrote: Sun 03 Mar 2019 10:19pm Blues and Suns also had wins.

I think ours was more impressive but lets not get too carried away yet.
After watching the Suns/Dogs game, I'm very confident that yesterdays effort will beat them both. Id love to start the real challenges with 3 wins in a row even if 2 of them are JLT. The Bulldogs game should be a beauty. They have no forwards and very few tall defenders, 2 glaring weaknesses we should be able to exploit. If we pressure their mids and force turnovers our mid sized and small forsards will run amok.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

My best.

Billings, Ross, Steele, Roberton, N. Brown

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Terry Wallace on SEN rated this game the 7th best of 8 so far this JLT1 (prior to tonight's pies v freo match). I thought we did well albeit against an undermanned kangas outfit. But all you can do is win, lose or draw and winning at least feels better.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Stuff Terry Wallace. A poor coach and an even worse commentator trying to be relevant.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote: Mon 04 Mar 2019 10:52pm Terry Wallace on SEN rated this game the 7th best of 8 so far this JLT1 (prior to tonight's pies v freo match). I thought we did well albeit against an undermanned kangas outfit. But all you can do is win, lose or draw and winning at least feels better.
We had Steven, Carlisle, Hannerbry, Austin, Armitage, Longer, Long all missing plus no ruckman for three quarters our win was a well earned one.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote: Tue 05 Mar 2019 11:33am
Jacks Back wrote: Mon 04 Mar 2019 10:52pm Terry Wallace on SEN rated this game the 7th best of 8 so far this JLT1 (prior to tonight's pies v freo match). I thought we did well albeit against an undermanned kangas outfit. But all you can do is win, lose or draw and winning at least feels better.
We had Steven, Carlisle, Hannerbry, Austin, Armitage, Longer, Long all missing plus no ruckman for three quarters our win was a well earned one.
He did not say it was not a well deserved win - he said the standard of football was the 2nd worse from all the games - which would take into account, teams, ground, weather, skill levels etc

It was a good game to win - made better by the fact that it was over Norf (who I have developed a hatred for since that delay the play tactic).

I enjoyed the game - but if I was a neutral supporter - it would not have been a great spectacle - the heat sapped all of the interest after half time - essentially we won it on a 1/4 of football.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote: Tue 05 Mar 2019 12:06pm
He did not say it was not a well deserved win - he said the standard of football was the 2nd worse from all the games - which would take into account, teams, ground, weather, skill levels etc

It was a good game to win - made better by the fact that it was over Norf (who I have developed a hatred for since that delay the play tactic).

I enjoyed the game - but if I was a neutral supporter - it would not have been a great spectacle - the heat sapped all of the interest after half time - essentially we won it on a 1/4 of football.
I went and the game was of a very good standard. Our defence smothered them basically as soon as the ball hit the ground. I then watched the replay and it looked shithouse due to the horrendous camera angle.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
The_President
Club Player

Just watched the replay on Kayo (Big fan, if you haven't got it, check it out)

I liked that we played some of the younger guys like Gresh and Clark through the middle (Both started in the centre bounce for the start of various quarters)

Billings is silk, ran all day and used the footy well. Put his body on the line in the first going back with the flight and won a free (was really happy to see this)

Steele is just a bull and will probably be our best mid by the end of the season. Used the ball well, tackled hard and snagged few goals.

Parker and Kent were nice additions, Kent was probably more impressive overall, but Parker did some nice things, including an equal team high 7 tackles. Small forward roll will be hard to make his own with Gresh, Billings, Lonie, Long etc all going through there but with that sort of chase and effort he's making a good case for himself.

Surprised Bruce hasnt been talked up much on here yet, was great to see him back (Along with Robbo) seemed to play all over the ground, in the first he floated up and was around the back half for a bit but was the main ruck once Pierce went down. Looked fit.

Membrey could've had a bag if it wasn't for a few shocking set shots and a few dropped marks in the first... fumbled one in the square in the second as well. Is out most dangerous out of the big 3 forwards though, just has that nice combination of size, speed, explosiveness and good hands. Just needs to fix his bloody kicking.

Was good seeing Paddy work around the ground. Is a really great field kick. Just hope he can stay healthy.

guitars4
Club Player

CURLY wrote: Tue 05 Mar 2019 1:01pm
Sainter_Dad wrote: Tue 05 Mar 2019 12:06pm

I went and the game was of a very good standard. Our defence smothered them basically as soon as the ball hit the ground. I then watched the replay and it looked shithouse due to the horrendous camera angle.
I just finished watching the game on Fox loved the pressure we applied but the skills were pretty ordinary from both teams IMO. I know it was hot & it's only a preseason hit out but I didn't see a lot of improvement in the skill level from last year.